PDA

View Full Version : Merseypride/Capital of Culture 2008

Ste
14th-February-2005, 02:49 PM
I am a Scouser.

No, I do not nick handbags or cars.

I was interested to know how many of you were planning to visit Merseyside and particularly if you are visiting for touristy reasons.

I really recommend the Wirral, particularly West Wirral where you can see lots of wildlife ( birds on marshes ) and look over to the Welsh Hills ( about 7 miles away ).

Any takers????

DavidY
14th-February-2005, 07:07 PM
I am a Scouser.

I was interested to know how many of you were planning to visit Merseyside and particularly if you are visiting for touristy reasons.

I really recommend the Wirral, particularly West Wirral where you can see lots of wildlife ( birds on marshes ) and look over to the Welsh Hills ( about 7 miles away ).

Any takers????I think the last time I went to Liverpool it was to give a concert with a choir I sing in - probably 3 or 4 years ago now.

I remember that we couldn't use the rehearsal room we were supposed to be in, because police forensics teams were there, measuring where the bullet holes were from a shooting the night before.

I left with a less-than-favourable impression...

CJ
14th-February-2005, 07:11 PM

Ahhh, the good old days...

measuring where the bullet holes were from a shooting the night before.

I left with a less-than-favourable impression...

Welcome to the 21st Century!!

:rofl:

Lynn
14th-February-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm in Liverpool twice a year these days...going to Southport for weekenders! The first time we did spend the afternoon in Liverpool itself and did some touristy things in the city, but that's all, so far.

Ste
16th-February-2005, 01:52 PM
It doesn't seem that people are interested in Merseyside.

But I think it is an incredible place.

Am I a misguided fool?

Will
16th-February-2005, 02:59 PM
Am I a misguided fool?That's irrelevant :wink:

Will
22nd-February-2005, 03:57 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, there is further evidence that Liverpool is climbing the ladder of success. NBC have released a shock announcement that they are bringing back "Friends" due to public demand.

Interestingly though, since the last series, the cast have all done a "Madonna" and crossed the pond. So after some negotiations, it was agreed that Liverpool would be the new home of "Friends".

http://www.avolites.org.uk/jokes/images/liverpool1.jpg

jivecat
22nd-February-2005, 04:32 PM
I'll be looking to visit Liverpool on the Southport June weekend when I'm fed-up with workshops and don't wish to lie on the mudflat in a damp gale. So if you can recommend an afternoon's itinerary I'd be keen to hear about it. I love the Scouse accent - brings back memories of an old flame!

Diane
22nd-February-2005, 05:43 PM
I visited Liverpool a few years ago, enjoyed the weekend.

Did the ferry across the Mersey - well you have to!

Spent a really enjoyable afternoon in the Tate, on the Albert Dock

Wandered around the city, great time.

Ste
24th-February-2005, 04:54 AM
If we can get a few people together I could organise a loose intinerary.

It would be a bit wacky though because it would have to involve the west side of the Wirral where I live and which faces Wales.I am in fact about 4 miles from the Welsh border.

Did you know that the Wirral was the site of the last Viking battle?I am fascinated by viking history ( I think it was the song I AM A VIKING by Yngwie Mlamsteen that inspired that partially!).

I would also may be look at property values altho I am not an estate agent.

lindyloo
24th-February-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm going to the Wirral for my neices christening in May - Port Sunlight, now that's a lovely place.

Ste
24th-February-2005, 02:08 PM
A very interesting village. I hope you will visit the little museum there. It is open on SUnday and is fascinating.

Andy McGregor
24th-February-2005, 02:32 PM
The last time I visited Liverpool I'd booked a private room upstairs in a Chinese restaurant to entertain some customers. When I got up there I was introduced to the two plain-clothed policemen who had the street under surveillance!

Ste
24th-February-2005, 06:42 PM
Andy, you're a marketing guru.

What would you do to get more punters up here?

Andy McGregor
24th-February-2005, 07:01 PM
Andy, you're a marketing guru.

What would you do to get more punters up here?
I suppose I'd get Liverpool name "Capital of Culture 2008" :worthy:

I take Brookside off the air ... :whistle:

And I'd probably put in an Olympic bid ... :waycool:

But, most of all I'd ask everyone from Liverpool to stop being so touchy about being handbag snatchers and car thieves :wink:

.. oh, and I'd get everyone to say Ken Dodd comes from Runcorn :devil: