PDA

View Full Version : More than the average freestyle?

spindr
11th-February-2005, 01:23 PM
Intrigued by a post on another thread...

... to bring so much more than normal freestyle nights.
...I wondered the organiser can bring to a freestyle to make it so much better than a normal one?

Just a few thoughts:

Name DJ
Free water
Cheap bar
Non-smoking :devil:
Limited numbers and hence space to dance
Free tea/coffee
Sweets

SpinDr.

Gus
11th-February-2005, 01:39 PM
Intrigued by a post on another thread...

...I wondered the organiser can bring to a freestyle to make it so much better than a normal one?

SpinDr.We went though a similar thought process. The end result was that we put a lot of effort into the music, restricted entry to 80% of available capacity and make a policy of inviting the best dnacers in the region .... so far the policy seems to work.

Clive Long
11th-February-2005, 01:44 PM
restricted entry to 80% of available capacity
Good :clap: Rep given.

and make a policy of inviting the best dancers in the region ....
Bad :angry: . Can't stand exclusivity. Rep cancelled

so far the policy seems to work.

To whose benefit and in what way?

CRL

Gadget
11th-February-2005, 01:53 PM

Just a few thoughts:

Name DJ
Free water
Cheap bar
Non-smoking :devil:
Limited numbers and hence space to dance
Free tea/coffee
Sweets

thought you were looking for things that make it better than a normal one? Most of these are the norm in freestyles up here! :waycool:

{:worthy: Franck}

I think that Gus has it right: it's the dancers that make the night, and by inviting the enthusiastic, the good and the impressive, you are providing more of a draw than any of the list above.

Gus
11th-February-2005, 01:55 PM
Bad :angry: . Can't stand exclusivity. Rep cancelled
OK ... look at it from this point... if you to a venue and there are good dnacers ... who benefits ? EVERYONE. The less experienced dancers have a great spectacle to watch and also get to dance with these people and improve thier own dancing. I've had the pleasure of the likes of DaveB & Lily and Phil& Yuko come up ... people LOVED having them there .. how can that be a bad thing?

I try to dissuade beginners coming until they have done at least a couple of intermediate lessons ... otherwise I feel like I'm just taking their cash and they arent going to enjoy the night. I dont have an audition before people are allowed in! We have a good mix of dnacers ... I'm just happy to say that many of the regions good dancers make our venue their no 1. choice :grin:

As to who's benefit ... to everyone who likes that format. The more popular it is the bigger a kick I get out of it, I make some dosh (instead of losing it) and the whole place has a better atmosphere. Agree?

Clive Long
11th-February-2005, 02:02 PM
OK ... look at it from this point... if you to a venue and there are good dnacers ... who benefits ? EVERYONE. The less experienced dancers have a great spectacle to watch and also get to dance with these people and improve thier own dancing. I've had the pleasure of the likes of DaveB & Lily and Phil& Yuko come up ... people LOVED having them there .. how can that be a bad thing?

<< snip >>

As to who's benefit ... to everyone who likes that format. The more popular it is the bigger a kick I get out of it, I make some dosh (instead of losing it) and the whole place has a better atmosphere. Agree?

I thought you were saying it was exclusively invitees - if you "seed" the evening and this encourages others to dance - more power to your whatever. :clap:

But ... if you type dnace or dnacer once more you ARE going to get some bad rep my lad. :angry:

Banana Man
11th-February-2005, 04:05 PM
SNIP....

But ... if you type dnace or dnacer once more you ARE going to get some bad rep my lad. :angry:

Clive meet Gus, voted forum ODA (with Trampy) and worst speller (with Gadget) http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83133&postcount=3

Paul F
11th-February-2005, 05:05 PM
It must be increadibly hard to come up with ideas. I must confess to not being too creative myself :tears:

I went to a venue in Ripon last night and it just had something :confused:

Thats really really ambiguous but its hard to explain. It just felt .....well......nice :sick:

Possibly the least technical explanation I have ever used :blush:

Out of the list though I think a non-smoking venue would be the main criteria for me. Not nice to dance amidst a fog bank :D

Little Monkey
11th-February-2005, 05:09 PM
thought you were looking for things that make it better than a normal one? Most of these are the norm in freestyles up here! :waycool:

I think that Gus has it right: it's the dancers that make the night, and by inviting the enthusiastic, the good and the impressive, you are providing more of a draw than any of the list above.

:yeah:

We have great DJs (tiggerbabe, DD etc), great venues (Beach Ballroom is fab!!), free water, good dancers (without specially inviting anyone....), no smoking, and lots of CHOCOLATE :drool: on all tables! Woooo-hooooo!!!! :clap: And the friendliest and most welcoming people you'll ever find!!! :cheers: :hug:

What more could one ask for??? Possibly more space on the dance floor?? Actually, I'm very happy as it is! (:worthy: Franck :worthy: )

Monkey :flower:

spindr
11th-February-2005, 05:27 PM
What more could one ask for?

Free parking.
Sprung dance floor.
(Attended) cloakroom.
More than one dance room (more than one dance style?).
Photographer and free photos.
Lots of info' about forthcoming events -- not necessarily just from that venue :)
(Dance shop).
Discounted tickets.
Event dates available (~a year) in advance.

SpinDr.

Gus
11th-February-2005, 05:31 PM
Free parking.
Sprung dance floor.
(Attended) cloakroom.
Photographer and free photos.
Lots of info' about forthcoming events -- not necessarily just from that venue :)
(Dance shop).
Discounted tickets.
Event dates available (~a year) in advance.Know ye of such a place?

spindr
11th-February-2005, 05:54 PM
Well you did ask what else you could ask for...

Know ye of such a place?

Depends on your definition of freestyle (http://www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk/Events.htm#WinterBall2005) :whistle:

Admitedly no dance shop -- but a live band, four DJs two cabarets -- and an exceedingly good time had by all :)

Oh, and a 2am finish.

Perhaps something to aspire to?

SpinDr.

drathzel
11th-February-2005, 06:30 PM

:yeah: :worthy:

Ok So Gus, who invites these dancers and who chooses who is a good dancer or not! I have danced with dancers who have been said to be brill and i have found them average. Is it not an opinion thing! Or do you test your dancers before they are allowed in to make sure they are good enough. Is this not also discouraging beginners? And is the whole point not to try and include everyone?

Oops sorry just noticed that you had covered these points, i am however leaving this post here as it shows that many people have this opinion!

Little Monkey
11th-February-2005, 07:50 PM
Free parking.Beach Ballroom
Sprung dance floor. Beach Ballroom
(Attended) cloakroom.Beach Ballroom
Photographer and free photos. Nooooo!! If you want to be on photos, get your friends to take some of you.... Just keep the cameras away from me!!! :D
Lots of info' about forthcoming events -- not necessarily just from that venue :) Isn't that one of the uses of this forum??
(Dance shop).
Discounted tickets. Always get really good package deals for weekenders up here.... ;)
Event dates available (~a year) in advance. No surprises??

SpinDr.

Some people are just too demanding..... :rolleyes:

Daisy Chain
11th-February-2005, 07:59 PM
...make a policy of inviting the best dnacers in the region .... .

He's never invited me :tears:

...but I do like Gus' freestyle as they are usually full of lovely men - not all of whom are known stars. Like Drathzel, I have found some lauded men wanting. But there are some wonderful dark horses around. Long may they remain so...............otherwise I've no chance of a dance with them

Daisy

(A Wall FLower)

Gus
12th-February-2005, 01:10 AM
Ok So Gus, who invites these dancers and who chooses who is a good dancer or not! OK ... example of the invited dancers;

Marc & Rachel
Phil & Yuko
Helen Zambas
Dave & Lily
Viktor
Do these meet your standards? :wink:

jivecat
12th-February-2005, 12:01 PM
What more could one ask for???

Balance of male/female numbers? OK, OK, I know it's unworkable.

Dance Demon
12th-February-2005, 02:50 PM
Balance of male/female numbers? OK, OK, I know it's unworkable.

no it isn't.........Route 66 Christmas party, we sold pink tickets for ladies, and blue tickets for men...in equal quantities...although we did sell about 10 more extra pink tickets...but it meant that we never had loads of spare ladies sitting out half the night. It worked well and lots of people thought it was a great idea.
I suppose it depends on whether you just want to sell all your tickets regardless, or whether you want to make your night better for the punters :devil:

Gadget
12th-February-2005, 02:51 PM
What, have to share my hareem? :what:
never work.

{:wink:}

Lory
12th-February-2005, 03:31 PM
no it isn't.........Route 66 Christmas party, we sold pink tickets for ladies, and blue tickets for men...in equal quantities...although we did sell about 10 more extra pink tickets...but it meant that we never had loads of spare ladies sitting out half the night. It worked well and lots of people thought it was a great idea.
I suppose it depends on whether you just want to sell all your tickets regardless, or whether you want to make your night better for the punters :devil:
Wow! That's a fabulous idea! :worthy: :clap:

jivecat
12th-February-2005, 05:11 PM
no it isn't.........Route 66 Christmas party, we sold pink tickets for ladies, and blue tickets for men...in equal quantities...

Oh, wonderful! How about it then, all you organiser people?

Mind you, MJ wouldn't be quite the same without the ranks of glum ladies and the hagridden, hunted looks of the more sought-after men. :devil: One begins to enjoy the thrill of the chase eventually!

ChrisA
12th-February-2005, 05:15 PM
I have danced with dancers who have been said to be brill and i have found them average. Is it not an opinion thing! Or do you test your dancers before they are allowed in to make sure they are good enough.
Nope, you test the people saying who's good and who isn't :devil: :D

Paul F
12th-February-2005, 05:31 PM

Have to agree with Lory and Jivecat here. Great idea DD.
:clap:

Daisy Chain
12th-February-2005, 05:48 PM
OK ... example of the invited dancers;

Viktor

He was 6 deep in women all night. Couldn't get near him :tears:

Daisy

(A Distant Little Flower)

ChrisA
12th-February-2005, 06:07 PM
He was 6 deep in women all night. Couldn't get near him :tears:

This is the reason the equal guys/girls thing will never really work in the way people would like.

The dancers most in demand will be so almost regardless of the M/F ratio.

There is no alternative to the difficult, painful, time-consuming solution to this problem, IMHO, and that is, become a dancer that the dancers you want to dance with, want to dance with.

It's hard. When I've solved the problem, I'll let you know :blush:

Chris

Banana Man
12th-February-2005, 06:08 PM
(Viktor) He was 6 deep in women all night.
SNIP

Bet he was still smiling though! :D

Clive Long
12th-February-2005, 06:17 PM
<< snip >>

There is no alternative to the difficult, painful, time-consuming solution to this problem, IMHO, and that is, become a dancer that the dancers you want to dance with, want to dance with.

Chris

Wise words Mr. A. Please accept some rep from me.

He (Viktor) was 6 deep in women all night. Couldn't get near him

Perhaps he should recruit some apprentices who can ease the over-load?
I danced (oops typed dnace :eek: ) near Viktor once. I wasn't even thinking of "competing" with him but some how his style and enthusiasm "transmitted" and when I finished dancing with this woman she seized me and said "again! again!"

Viktor - a force of nature.

CRL

ChrisA
12th-February-2005, 06:24 PM

Quite so.

And a hugely nice guy.

P1sses me off, really... :D

Chris

Minnie M
12th-February-2005, 06:37 PM
:worthy:
Quite so.

And a hugely nice guy.......
:yeah: :yeah:
And NEVER refuses a dance :worthy: - well worth the wait if you have to queue :flower: and smiles all the way through the dance - his is wonderful............................ :drool:

A double :confused: hmm..... with a six pack, big beautiful smile, and a neat little bum :blush: - yes please :clap:

....P1sses me off, really... :D

Chris

No no no .... you are special too Chris - you are Mr. Cool and so smooth to dance with, please don't change :worthy:

MartinHarper
12th-February-2005, 06:43 PM

There is no alternative to the easy, pain-free, instant solution to this problem, IMHO, and that is, dance with mortals.

Hey, I'm all about the easy way out... :)

ChrisA
12th-February-2005, 07:44 PM
There is no alternative to the easy, pain-free, instant solution to this problem, IMHO, and that is, dance with mortals.

Absolutely.

And eventually, you realise, everyone is mortal, even the ones you were convinced weren't.

And then comes the hardest lesson of all. It's not about them, how good they are, how nice they are, how approachable, etc, etc...

It's about you.

And then comes learning.

:flower:

jivecat
13th-February-2005, 11:32 AM
This is the reason the equal guys/girls thing will never really work in the way people would like.

The dancers most in demand will be so almost regardless of the M/F ratio.

Chris

I'm deeply saddened that Chris A has given me cause to disagree with him! :flower:

I am talking about mathematics, not about the status of various dancers. If there are 120 men in a room and 150 women, it stands to reason that at least 30 women will not be able to dance at any one time, unless they dance with each other.

Now, according to your theory, the ones left sitting at the side are likely to be the poorer dancers, or the old, ugly, smelly or otherwise uncongenial ones. However, the poor, old, ugly, smelly & uncongenial MEN are on the floor having a wonderful time because women are obliged to dance with them due to the short supply of men. Life's SO unfair!

However, I did take your point about becoming the kind of dancer that people want to dance with some time back. I've since made it my challenge not to be one of the glum ladies using whatever arts are at my disposal, including learning to dance to the best of my ability. I'm still learning. At local venues, I am rarely short of partners. But if I go to a new venue, where I know almost nobody and there is a large number of surplus ladies it is back to square one again. Because of mathematics.

(Gives in to the desire to rant) It would do some men good to have to forage for suitable partners in a room where there were 150 men to 120 ladies. Then you'd know what it feels like to be subject to the law of the jungle! (Ahh, that feels better.)

Lynn
13th-February-2005, 11:58 AM
I am talking about mathematics, not about the status of various dancers. If there are 120 men in a room and 150 women, it stands to reason that at least 30 women will not be able to dance at any one time, unless they dance with each other. :yeah:
I'm also very shy about asking the men up, and tend to wait to be asked - if there are a lot of extra women I should be more proactive (I notice this esp on the rare times I have danced salsa, 2 women for every man) I appreciated the fact that John & Wes had tried to keep the balance even in Scarborough as it really did make a difference in the number of dances I got.

ChrisA
13th-February-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm deeply saddened that Chris A has given me cause to disagree with him! :flower:

I am talking about mathematics, not about the status of various dancers. If there are 120 men in a room and 150 women, it stands to reason that at least 30 women will not be able to dance at any one time, unless they dance with each other.

Of course this is true - I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about :flower:

I'm not disputing the maths - but it comes down to the fact that for any one individual, it's whether that individual gets to dance with the people (s)he likes dancing with that is important. If they do, the maths is unimportant.

And although it gets harder, as you say, the poorer the ratio, as you say, it's nevertheless the case that whatever the M/F ratio is, the key to getting the dances you want is to have the people you want to dance with, like dancing with you.

When I said that having equal numbers won't work in the way people want it to, I wasn't suggesting it's a bad thing in itself, just that you will still find people that don't get to dance with the ones they want to dance with - getting better is still the best solution for a given individual.

However, the poor, old, ugly, smelly & uncongenial MEN are on the floor having a wonderful time because women are obliged to dance with them due to the short supply of men. Life's SO unfair!

I agree. Given that it's the guys that cause most of the yanking and dangerous dancing, and virtually all the perving and stinking, it's terribly unfair that the girls should be penalised and have to dance with them just because the guys are in the minority. :tears:

However, I wonder what would happen if girls started refusing more dances with yankers, pervs and stinkers, as I've advocated so many times... maybe they'd need to get their act together.

Is it really true that any dance, even one with one of the Y/P/S brigade, is preferable to no dance at all?

(Gives in to the desire to rant) It would do some men good to have to forage for suitable partners in a room where there were 150 men to 120 ladies.
I agree with this too. But think of the chaos in the classes... most of the guys can't walk and count at the same time, so it would take hours to move everyone on :wink:

drathzel
13th-February-2005, 04:47 PM
OK ... example of the invited dancers;

Marc & Rachel
Phil & Yuko
Helen Zambas
Dave & Lily
Viktor

Of course they do, but what about us mere mortals who would like to dance with the select? You made it sound like it was exclusively for advanced (experienced) dancers, as beginners were discouraged from going! would you not say that as a beginner it is better for you to dance with experienced dancers than others at your level! I certain think it helped me!

drathzel
13th-February-2005, 04:58 PM
Perhaps he should recruit some apprentices who can ease the over-load?
I danced (oops typed dnace :eek: ) near Viktor once. I wasn't even thinking of "competing" with him but some how his style and enthusiasm "transmitted" and when I finished dancing with this woman she seized me and said "again! again!"

CRL

Can we get some of that in Scotland?:drool: I know what you mean, when you are dancing near excellent dancers you tend to step up your performance (sub consciously) just not to look daft! :hug:

bigdjiver
13th-February-2005, 05:52 PM
In my experience if there are equal numbers then there are more men sitting out, due to gal-gal partners and guys doing doubles. There are some ladies that come to chat, who dance only a few times, or even none at all, who seem to me to outnumber the guys that just come to watch.

drathzel
13th-February-2005, 06:03 PM
In my experience if there are equal numbers then there are more men sitting out, due to gal-gal partners and guys doing doubles. There are some ladies that come to chat, who dance only a few times, or even none at all, who seem to me to outnumber the guys that just come to watch.

Thats why its ok to sell a few more womens tickets than mens but i have been to events where the women outweigh the men 3 to 1! (this is also why i am learning to lead) :hug:

Lory
13th-February-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't think that's true at all, we've only developed these skills as a way of coping with not having enough men!

There's also another 'evil' skill that certain women have developed to cope and that's the abitily to intercept men, at the point when you KNOW they've made an unspoken agreement for the next dance with you! :angry:

ChrisA
13th-February-2005, 06:58 PM
There's also another 'evil' skill that certain women have developed to cope and that's the abitily to intercept men, at the point when you KNOW they've made an unspoken agreement for the next dance with you! :angry:
IMO, this is completely out of order.

But don't blame the women. If your guy has agreed to dance next with you, and goes back on the deal, then it's his fault for reneging on the deal.

You can't blame the girls for trying it on. :hug:

And it works exactly the same the other way round. There are times I'm hoping to dance with someone, and I know she's in demand. Chances are I'll have to 'arrange' to be in the right place near the end of the current track, and I know I'll have to get in quick, or some other bugger will ask first.

So I have to take the chance and risk that she's gonna have the next one with the same partner... she can always turn me down. But it doesn't stop me asking.

I might add that there are plenty of cases where it's completely obvious they're carrying on into the next track, and I don't barge in when that's the case...

... but if there's any wavering :devil:

jivecat
13th-February-2005, 07:28 PM

So what's wrong with men sitting out? They can find out what it feels like! This attitude is just so complacent! If they had to compete harder for available partners they'd have to clean up their act a touch, just as, effectively, the ladies have been told to do in order to win suitable partners.

It's true that women develop coping skills, part of which is looking busy. The up side of this is that it's actually very enjoyable chatting to the other ladies - but the point is, we're all there to dance. I don't mind sitting out when I know that within minutes I'll be whisked off my chair and on to the floor. But there is no more depressing, confidence-sapping experience than sitting around on those chairs watching other people having fun and being excluded - by MATHEMATICS - from full participation. It's sheer fantasy to imagine that many women pay to go to a dance and are then happy to dance only 50% OR 70% of the time and then only if you are prepared to trample other women into the ground in the rush to grab a partner. (Sorry, Lory)

Oh dear, I'm having to do a lot of ranting today.

Andy McGregor
13th-February-2005, 07:36 PM
There's also another 'evil' skill that certain women have developed to cope and that's the ability to intercept men, at the point when you KNOW they've made an unspoken agreement for the next dance with you! :angry:
I don't think that the act of intercepting a man is evil. After all, how does the interceping woman know about the unpoken agreement? The evil thing is the man who breaks his unspoken agreement. I am occasionally intercepted in this way and come up with some line about already being booked but being available for the next dance :flower:

And now that I'm an organiser myself I'd like to add correct lighting to the list. I've discovered that getting the lights right can make a huge difference to the mood of the night. I've just found a venue with a fabulous floor, a huge mirror ball and dimmable uplighters. For our Valentines dance last night I added some red/lilac coloured lights which I shone on the back wall and the combination meant the evening really came alive (I've put a small picture on here which gives an impression but doesn't really do the lighting justice).

We also gave everyone a glass of bubbly (Cava Demi-sec) on arrival, Roses, Celebrations, Love Hearts, After Eight mints, iced water with slices of lemon, tea and coffee all night - and we put red tablecloths on the tables, plus a vase of flowers and a nice romantic red candle. We only charged £6 and still made a modest profit! But it was hard work and I can see why people wouldn't want to do it every month!

And because it was a new venue we didn't know how to work the electrics. It took us over half an hour longer to get out of the building as we couldn't understand how to use the remote control for the Velux windows and didn't want to leave them open overnight with the building empty :confused: :blush:

Lory
13th-February-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't think that the act of intercepting a man is evil. After all, how does the interceping woman know about the unpoken agreement? The evil thing is the man who breaks his unspoken agreement. I am occasionally intercepted in this way and come up with some line about already being booked but being available for the next dance :flower:

Whilst agreeing with you to a point, there's lot's of acts of sheer rudeness and as you well know Andy, I have a particular woman who stalks me :angry: she follows me round, waits till a man's made eye contact with me, then dives in front of me. Time and time again it happens. It puts the men in a very awkward and embarrassing position and I for one wouldn't want to embarrass them further, so I tend to walk off in completely the opposite direction, so they don't have to make a choice! ;)

Although in saying that, she did it once and i walked off and didn't look back, then suddenly got a sharp dig in the shoulder (by a friend) who said 'hey you, I thought this was going to be our dance and your walking off in a strop :blush: I can't tell you how much I appreciated this :o as this particular evening it had happened once too often and I was starting to get really fed up! :sad:

drathzel
13th-February-2005, 08:13 PM
It's sheer fantasy to imagine that many women pay to go to a dance and are then happy to dance only 50% OR 70% of the time and then only if you are prepared to trample other women into the ground in the rush to grab a partner. (Sorry, Lory)

Oh dear, I'm having to do a lot of ranting today.

I'm sorry but most of the time you dont even get 50% I know there has been times i have only got one in three dances!!! :hug:

MartinHarper
13th-February-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a particular woman who stalks me :angry: she follows me round, waits till a man's made eye contact with me, then dives in front of me.

I recommend asking her for a dance. Then she'll have to dive in front of herself, which'll probably do her back in for a couple of weeks.

Gadget
13th-February-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry but most of the time you dont even get 50% I know there has been times i have only got one in three dances!!! :hug:
This leads to a question:

How many dances make a night 'worth it'? or just "make a night"? Is it the quantity? Or would one dance with a 'god' be worth sitting the last eight out?

drathzel
13th-February-2005, 08:48 PM

How many dances make a night 'worth it'? or just "make a night"? Is it the quantity? Or would one dance with a 'god' be worth sitting the last eight out?

A bit of both, although i'm just happy to be asked to dance! :hug:

Northants Girly
13th-February-2005, 10:55 PM
I recommend asking her for a dance. Then she'll have to dive in front of herself, which'll probably do her back in for a couple of weeks. :rofl: :rofl:

bigdjiver
13th-February-2005, 11:16 PM
In my own obscure way I was trying to make the point that I have never seen a night where there have just been ladies sitting out. ( I have heard of them, though, at venues approaching the point of closure ).

ChrisA
13th-February-2005, 11:57 PM

How many dances make a night 'worth it'?
One, if it's the right one.

frodo
14th-February-2005, 12:18 AM

I am talking about mathematics, not about the status of various dancers. If there are 120 men in a room and 150 women, it stands to reason that at least 30 women will not be able to dance at any one time, unless they dance with each other ...
Certainly about mathematics:-

'Minimise the number of person-dances forgone over the course of a night because a person looking for a member of the opposite gender to dance with is unable to find one willing and available for that dance'.

Even without considering partial dances, total dance satisfaction, and equity ( better to spread the satisfaction around rather than concentrate it), I'd think this would be something like an A-level question.

People arrive a different times, leave at different times, need different lengths of time to freshen up, recover after fast dances, differ in willingness/preference to dance to music they don't like/wrong tempo etc.

If the best solution is M = F it is simply an amazing coincidence ( or perhaps a GCSE question ? ).

The optimum solution seems a perfectly good point to debate. I agree 120M = 150F is unlikely to be optimum but 135M = 150F mid dance ?. Other people's ( in particular organisers) opinions would very much interest me.

Clive Long
14th-February-2005, 12:55 AM
I have a particular woman who stalks me she follows me round, waits till a man's made eye contact with me, then dives in front of me.
I recommend asking her for a dance. Then she'll have to dive in front of herself, which'll probably do her back in for a couple of weeks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Martin, I burst me gaiters trying to visualise that one.

CRL

Andy McGregor
14th-February-2005, 10:49 AM
Whilst agreeing with you to a point, there's lot's of acts of sheer rudeness and as you well know Andy, I have a particular woman who stalks me :angry:
I know who this woman is. And from a guy's perspective she seems quite pleasant, a nice dancer, etc. AND she's done the interception thing to me a few times too. I've done what I always do and danced with the woman I've had eye contact with, apologising to Lory's stalker - who has always been quite pleasant about it :flower:

So, I think the solution to this problem is to sort the guys out. If a guy backs out of his unspoken agreement let him know it bothered you the next time you dance - maybe hold on to something tender while you're telling him :sick:

jivecat
14th-February-2005, 10:54 AM

Certainly about mathematics:-

'Minimise the number of person-dances forgone over the course of a night because a person looking for a member of the opposite gender to dance with is unable to find one willing and available for that dance'.

Even without considering partial dances, total dance satisfaction, and equity ( better to spread the satisfaction around rather than concentrate it), I'd think this would be something like an A-level question.

People arrive a different times, leave at different times, need different lengths of time to freshen up, recover after fast dances, differ in willingness/preference to dance to music they don't like/wrong tempo etc.

If the best solution is M = F it is simply an amazing coincidence ( or perhaps a GCSE question ? ).

The optimum solution seems a perfectly good point to debate. I agree 120M = 150F is unlikely to be optimum but 135M = 150F mid dance ?. Other people's ( in particular organisers) opinions would very much interest me.

I think this very point has been debated before (Is there anything new left to say on this forum?) and I think the men generally believed, quite seriously, that it was better, ALL ROUND, to have extra women. However, the women generally believed it was better to have equal numbers. However, I believe that it would be better to have extra men, because:

*Men seem to get tired a lot.
*Men spend a lot of time scuttling off to the lav to change their clothing, or whatever it is they do in there.
*I would be able to pick and choose the most favourable partners from a wide selection.
*I wouldn't have to bother asking anyone to dance as they would be obliged to compete for my attention so I could go home imagining I was the best dancer in the universe.

The surplus men would be very happy as they need to sit down a lot anyway. And they could spend the time comparing black t-shirts with other chaps. Or watching the chosen ones to pick up style tips. Or dancing with each other.

There. Sorted.

Lory
14th-February-2005, 11:02 AM
*Men spend a lot of time scuttling off to the lav to change their clothing, or whatever it is they do in there.
*I would be able to pick and choose the most favourable partners from a wide selection.
*I wouldn't have to bother asking anyone to dance as they would be obliged to compete for my attention so I could go home imagining I was the best dancer in the universe.

The surplus men would be very happy as they need to sit down a lot anyway. And they could spend the time comparing black t-shirts with other chaps. Or watching the chosen ones to pick up style tips. Or dancing with each other.

There. Sorted. :rofl: :worthy: :cheers: :worthy: :rofl:

Oh how I laughed when I read this! :rofl: :tears: :rofl:

jivecat
14th-February-2005, 11:03 AM
For our Valentines dance last night I added some red/lilac coloured lights which I shone on the back wall and the combination meant the evening really came alive (I've put a small picture on here which gives an impression but doesn't really do the lighting justice).

We also gave everyone a glass of bubbly (Cava Demi-sec) on arrival, Roses, Celebrations, Love Hearts, After Eight mints, iced water with slices of lemon, tea and coffee all night - and we put red tablecloths on the tables, plus a vase of flowers and a nice romantic red candle. We only charged £6 and still made a modest profit!

Sigh! Ever thought of moving to the Midlands, Andy?

Though I have received the same luxurious cossetting at Daniel Sandars' Blues Events at Ampthill. Much appreciated!

ChrisA
14th-February-2005, 11:04 AM

There. Sorted.
If any guy was ever in any doubt why it is always completely pointless to argue with a woman, this is the post that should make it crystal clear. Have some rep :hug: :flower:

:devil:

jivecat
14th-February-2005, 11:19 AM
=frodo

Other people's ( in particular organisers) opinions would very much interest me.

Maybe I'm being cynical here, but surely it's in the organiser's interests to sell as many tickets as possible. Equalising numbers would usually result in turning some ladies away, unless extra men could be found from somewhere.
And there's the administrative nightmare of selling designated male/female tickets.

I can't see it being taken on board except for special occasions which are normally ticket-only anyway.

Having said that, I would certainly give preference to weekenders that guaranteed equal numbers and advertised as such.

Andy McGregor
14th-February-2005, 12:56 PM
Having said that, I would certainly give preference to weekenders that guaranteed equal numbers and advertised as such.

The Rock Bottoms weekends do this. They sell women's and men's tickets. Although I don't know if they go for equal numbers. I expect they have enough experience to know if equal numbers or a few men or women over creates the perfect mix.

IMHO a few women or men over makes less difference than the amount of time spent on the dance floor. If people take a lot of rests or spend time chatting/drinking/smoking/changing it can tip the balance - as they say, it's not the men in your life, it's the life in your men.

jivecat
14th-February-2005, 01:14 PM
If any guy was ever in any doubt why it is always completely pointless to argue with a woman, this is the post that should make it crystal clear.

Why, thank you ChrisA. What a lovely, er, compliment!
:D

Daisy Chain
14th-February-2005, 01:29 PM

There. Sorted.

:rofl: We share the same fantasy

Daisy

(A Dreamy Little Flower)

ChrisA
14th-February-2005, 01:41 PM
Why, thank you ChrisA. What a lovely, er, compliment!
:D
I rest my case, m'lady :rofl: