PDA

View Full Version : US Grand Nationals, Atlanta May 26 - 30

David Franklin
11th-February-2005, 11:42 AM
Bryony and I were thinking of going to this as part of a trip to the US, and it occurred to us it would be a lot more fun if we could get a group together.

The Grand Nationals is one of the two biggest Swing competitions in the US (the US Open is the other). It's supposed to be friendlier and more laid back than the US Open, but still has nearly all the big names competing (e.g. Jordan/Tatianna, Robert/Deborah, Brent/Kellese, Parker/Jessica, Yuval/Natalie).

The website (www.usagrandnationals.com) says:

Swing, Shag, Cabaret, Teams
Over 1,500 Dancers
6,000 sf of Dance Floor
10 Competitive Divisions
14 Dance Workshops
Thursday Earlybird Party
Free Hospitality Room Each Morning
$35,000 in Cash & Awards
Entry to the event costs $90, and hotel rooms are $87.50 per night (holding 1-4 people). For a couple I think that works out at about $270 or £150 each (for 4 nights). Note that it's a "proper" hotel - very different from chalets!

The flights really push the costs up, of course - the best I've found are with BA/Delta and are about £360 (inc tax) per person. (Flight taxes to the US are now almost £80 :eek: ). I'm advised hiring a car is pretty essential as well, though shuttles from the airport are available for $20. Given the flight costs it makes sense to make a holiday out of it, not just a dance trip.

David and Lily have been (and competed! :worthy: ) before, so may have more to say about it. There's a lot more info on the website (http://www.usagrandnationals.com) as well.

Would be great if we could get some company to dance with - please reply to this thread or PM me if you're interested!

Dave

stewart38
11th-February-2005, 05:48 PM
This looks good although not clear how much free style there is ?

Chicklet
11th-February-2005, 06:45 PM
Interesting, strange how people's priorities differ.....I read David's post and assumed no freestyle time likely, but did not and do not consider this a negative point.

Am I wrong to assume that the notion of lots of freestlye time at a dance comp is an aspect/ priority peculiar to MJ?

Unfortunate that this is at the end of a month, of I would seriously be considering it....but such is the life of a poor accountant :what: :whistle:

David Franklin
11th-February-2005, 07:10 PM
Interesting, strange how people's priorities differ.....I read David's post and assumed no freestyle time likely, but did not and do not consider this a negative point.

Am I wrong to assume that the notion of lots of freestlye time at a dance comp is an aspect/ priority peculiar to MJ?Disclaimer: I've never been to a US event, so have no personal experience. My impression is that there is usually freestyle at the US events (though like here, sometimes the competition takes up most of the time, to many people's dissatisfaction). For this particular event, the rec.arts.dance archives on Google imply there is social dancing in the evenings:

Thursday night I began dancing at 9:00 P.M. to music I liked very much (sorry,
I don't recall the DJ) and danced until closing at 4:30 A.M.; but made up for
it Friday, Saturday, and Sunday by dancing until 5:45/6:00 A.M. I blame Victor
Loveira and John Festa.......it was their fault for playing music that was so
unbelievably bewitching that it was impossible to leave and not get out on the
floor and dance. When the last song was announced we begged for more.There's a longer thread discussing the 2002 event here (http://www.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=e15df4dc.0205291746.4ee64b8f%40post ing.google.com).

Note however that the dancing will be WCS and Shag, not MJ. (Hence the attraction of getting a group that can at least dance with each other!)

Dave

LilyB
12th-February-2005, 02:07 AM
DavidB & I have been to the Grand Nationals 3 times and a few other similar events in the USA. From a personal viewpoint, this is a superlative event - one of the top 3 swing dance events in the States. There are competition categories in WCS, Carolina Shag, Lindyhop and Cabaret (any non-swing style). Beautiful setting in a very comfortable 3* hotel with pool.

There is also plenty of freestyle. Every evening in-between rounds and after the competition - usually from about 12 midnight to 6am. This is when all the competitors, including the likes of Jordan & Tat, Robert & Deborah, Kyle & Sarah, Angel & Debbie, Mario Robau, Sylvia Sykes etc come out to party and dance up a storm. The music is usually a mix of WCS (blues, r'n'b, hip-hop, c&w), lindy, shag, hustle and latin ie. much of it suitable for MJ, albeit slightly slower.

During the daytime, there are workshops taught by the top competitors/judges. These and the evening competitions & freestyles are all held within the hotel complex, so there is no need to step outside at all. There are also many vendors selling dance shoes, fab dance clothes, CDs & videos.

We are trying very hard to get time off work to go again this year. Dave & Bryony going is a huge incentive! :clap:

LilyB