PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Partner!!!

skippy
9th-February-2005, 08:02 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to find a dance partner?
Unless you are in a relationship with a person who wants to dance it is so hard to find one. :sad:
Most of the peolpe you see and think they would be great fun to dance with either already have a partner or don't want to compete. :tears:

Debster
9th-February-2005, 10:35 PM
Just keep asking till you find one!
That's how most of us do it. Even tell those who are already attached because they may hear of a friend who is looking too... it works in the end.

skippy
9th-February-2005, 10:48 PM
Just keep asking till you find one!
That's how most of us do it. Even tell those who are already attached because they may hear of a friend who is looking too... it works in the end.

Will do, thanks. :worthy: :cheers:

Andreas
10th-February-2005, 01:06 AM
You are right, it is not easy to find somebody to compete with and actually want to compete wiht that person.

Best thing to do is provide the details and hope somebody interested is going to get back to you.

Not me though. I don't like comps :D

RobC
10th-February-2005, 01:25 AM
You are right, it is not easy to find somebody to compete with and actually want to compete wiht that person.

It's even harder when you are a teacher and certain competitions prevent you from entering the freestyle categories with your peers, instead forcing you unfairly into an 'Open' category..... not many women (let alone the guys) want that kinda pressure :tears:

stewart38
10th-February-2005, 12:20 PM
Unless you are in a relationship with a person who wants to dance it is so hard to find one. :sad:
Most of the peolpe you see and think they would be great fun to dance with either already have a partner or don't want to compete. :tears:

It is very hard.

I take myself as a average dancer or just above average so Id look to find some female who was way above average (so we could get 2nd say in dance with a stranger)

When that person then has 6 months of work commiments around the country your left still looking :sad:

I wouldn't enter a competition unless i felt i had a chance of getting through to the next round (Lucky dip /dance with stranger is different) so that does make me 'fussy'.

Yliander
10th-February-2005, 01:18 PM
finding a dance partner can take sometime - let people know you are looking for a dance partner and also dance at as wide a variety venues and with as many different partners as possible you never know what gem you will find.

I actually asked my dance partner to do a workshop with me so I could see how we got along dancing/working together for an extended period of time before asking him.

a dance partner doesn't need to be exactly the same level as you - can be worth developing someone up if your personality's and dance styles and goals suit each other

have to say i think that personailty is more important than dancing level - no good having the best dancer if you find working with them touture!

It is also very important to discuss what you each want to get out of having a dance partner – and it’s not just about how serious are you going to take the training but where do we want to take our dance – some of the things my dance partner and I discussed was what did we want to develop in our dancing, what style path did we want to travel, did we want to focus on floor work, lifts aerials - and a year later we still discuss them and more– it keeps us on the same track and if we started to want to achieve very different things then we would go our separate ways

Good luck :flower:

Andreas
11th-February-2005, 01:32 AM
It's even harder when you are a teacher and certain competitions prevent you from entering the freestyle categories with your peers, instead forcing you unfairly into an 'Open' category..... not many women (let alone the guys) want that kinda pressure :tears:

You reckon? I didn't notice that but that could also be because Ceroc in NZ is a lot smaller than over here.

If somebody asks me next time I'll send them over :D

:cheers:

Banana Man
11th-February-2005, 01:53 AM
.............because Ceroc in NZ is a lot smaller than over here.

SNIP

Not if Adam has anything to do with it!

Andreas
11th-February-2005, 02:14 AM
Not if Adam has anything to do with it!

:D That is optimistic. I can imagine that Adam makes a good impression, in particular in Wellington because the market in that city is hardly tapped. But in total, NZ does not have the population to make it as anonymous as in the UK. There are only under 5.000.000 people in that country, so you soon know most of the dancers if you are a regular at the events.

In the UK you can be a regular in London and never know who is dancing in Scotland and vice versa.

Banana Man
11th-February-2005, 02:18 AM
:D That is optimistic. I can imagine that Adam makes a good impression, in particular in Wellington because the market in that city is hardly tapped. But in total, NZ does not have the population to make it as anonymous as in the UK. There are only under 5.000.000 people in that country, so you soon know most of the dancers if you are a regular at the events.

In the UK you can be a regular in London and never know who is dancing in Scotland and vice versa.

Far too serious. :na:

I think he'd managed to double a class from 15 to 30. :really:

No, only joking, hear he's had a couple of good freestyles, and making steady progress. I've seen some of the posts regarding class sizes, friendliness etc, so I'm sure it's going to be hard work for him. It's about time we heard what he's up to. Adam, where are you?

Banana Man
11th-February-2005, 02:20 AM
:D SNIP

I think you can be a regular in London and never know who is dancing elsewhere in London. :what:

Must be a norf and sarf thing!

drathzel
11th-February-2005, 04:57 AM

I know what you mean honey. this was something we were discussing the other day. You just need to talk you man into dancing and wait a few years! Us newbies on the scene will have to get in line!

Plus the ones that dont have partners, is that for a reason or what if they are compatible with your style!!!

Also what if you just want a dance partner to learn things with or be able to progress with but not compete, that is even harder to find!!!!

Big :hug:'s

Dx :hug:

Andreas
11th-February-2005, 10:12 AM
Adam, where are you?

Good call :D

I hope Martin stayed as a teacher. He ran the best beginners class I have ever seen. Mind you, I only saw one of his but the atmosphere was great and despite a lot of fun, his enthusiasm managed to get all the people to do exactly what he wanted. :clap:

Little Monkey
11th-February-2005, 10:53 AM

If you find out where there are available dance partners, let me know..... I think I've made it pretty clear to all my dancer friends that I reallyreallyreally want a dance partner, and they all keep suggesting people to ask.... But as you already said, the people you want to dance / compete with, already have a partner, or don't want to compete... :(

Well, as a last resort, we'll just have to dance with each other again, sweetie! At least we'll score points for smiling and being brave!!! :rofl: But the ideal would be to have a dance partner who's: a) Male, b) At least as tall as myself.... :whistle: :rofl: :hug:

Oh well, we'll just have to enter the "dance with a stranger" category again... And cheer on all our friends who are competing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Monkey

skippy
13th-February-2005, 10:45 AM
If you find out where there are available dance partners, let me know..... I think I've made it pretty clear to all my dancer friends that I reallyreallyreally want a dance partner, and they all keep suggesting people to ask.... But as you already said, the people you want to dance / compete with, already have a partner, or don't want to compete... :(

Well, as a last resort, we'll just have to dance with each other again, sweetie! At least we'll score points for smiling and being brave!!! :rofl: But the ideal would be to have a dance partner who's: a) Male, b) At least as tall as myself.... :whistle: :rofl: :hug:

Oh well, we'll just have to enter the "dance with a stranger" category again... And cheer on all our friends who are competing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Monkey

Oh , if we must but we will have to practise more this time. and sorry but I can't dance man in heels!!!! :kiss: :hug: :rofl:

MartinHarper
13th-February-2005, 05:17 PM
I take myself as a average dancer or just above average so I'd look to find some female who was way above average.

This puzzles me.

You, a "just above average" dancer, wouldn't want a dance partner who was less than "way above average".
If you won't settle for less than way above average, why would you expect a way above average dance to settle for you?

*shrug*

DaveD
13th-February-2005, 09:59 PM

Depends how you want to compete and whether you want a "regular" dance partner, or if you're going to, say Blackpool and want to give it a go! Some people take competition really seriously and practice loads. (which to be fair is what you need to do if you want to succeed!)

Others (like me) don't take it quite so seriously and are prepared to compete just for the fun. OK practice a few "wow" moves if possible, but just enjoy the occasion.

Being over six foot makes it difficult to find a compatible partner however...

Dave

drathzel
14th-February-2005, 01:35 AM
Depends how you want to compete and whether you want a "regular" dance partner, or if you're going to, say Blackpool and want to give it a go! Some people take competition really seriously and practice loads. (which to be fair is what you need to do if you want to succeed!)

Others (like me) don't take it quite so seriously and are prepared to compete just for the fun. OK practice a few "wow" moves if possible, but just enjoy the occasion.

Being over six foot makes it difficult to find a compatible partner however...

Dave

Poor ickle skippy!!! Could have had a potential there!! :hug:

skippy
15th-February-2005, 09:32 PM
Poor ickle skippy!!! Could have had a potential there!! :hug:

I know Dave very well and he is a lovely dancer :flower: :hug: but he is about 2ft taller than me and it doesn't work with that much of a distance between each other. :rofl: I'm only 5ft 1inch so it's not easy. :kiss: :hug:

Little Monkey
15th-February-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh , if we must but we will have to practise more this time. and sorry but I can't dance man in heels!!!! :kiss: :hug: :rofl:

Platforms no good, then.....? :rofl:

Aaaaawwwwwwww..... I can always amputate my legs...... Or do you think we'd score extra point if I danced on my knees????????

Hmmmmmm..... Let's keep looking for men.... And dance more together just in case we have to use each other as partners again!??? :D :hug:

Monkey............

jivecat
15th-February-2005, 11:03 PM
This puzzles me.

You, a "just above average" dancer, wouldn't want a dance partner who was less than "way above average".
If you won't settle for less than way above average, why would you expect a way above average dance to settle for you?

*shrug*

Exactly what I thought Martin, but was too polite to mention it!

Banana Man
16th-February-2005, 01:22 AM
This puzzles me.

*shrug*

:yeah:

It's great to stretch yourself and ask people who are better in an attempt to improve, okay in freestyle, but doesn't this suggest an attitude of arrogance (by the original poster). Whatever happened to the "partner" in partnership or are some partners more equal than others?! :confused:

Bill
16th-February-2005, 09:46 AM
:yeah:

It's great to stretch yourself and ask people who are better in an attempt to improve, okay in freestyle, but doesn't this suggest an attitude of arrogance (by the original poster). Whatever happened to the "partner" in partnership or are some partners more equal than others?! :confused:

Well it probably would be equal in the time and effort spent preparing but it could mean that one dancer was a very experienced competitor and had been dancing a few years and the other was relatively new.

This would then lead to the issue rasied several times before of the category they could enter. If I danced with a woman who had only been coming to Ceroc for 6 months or a year or so I would feel obliged to have to compete in the Advanced even though I've only twice ever got past the first round in London or Blackpool.

I know some very good dancers who are just not interested in competing and it does mean quite a bit of commitment - even if the pratcice sessions are limited or non-existent !!!!! - of travel, accommodation, outfits etc.....

But it is a great opportunity to pratice some moves and even maybe get them right :whistle: :what:

DaveD
16th-February-2005, 09:08 PM
I know Dave very well and he is a lovely dancer ....

Thanks for the kind words :flower: Now I'm embarrased coz I can't connect the avatar with a real person :blush: although the height gives me a clue...

Watch out for a tall bloke looking for Skippy at Stirling :grin:

Dave

Commis Chef
16th-February-2005, 10:16 PM
Look out for beginners who look to have good potential and be kind to them. They are the talent of the future.

My partner :hug: was a year ahead of me and I caught up - he may have another opinion -but that is because finding a partner also means finding someone who you will for ever argue with about who did the move wrong.

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words :flower: Now I'm embarrased coz I can't connect the avatar with a real person :blush: although the height gives me a clue...

Watch out for a tall bloke looking for Skippy at Stirling :grin:

Dave

isn't it abit intimidating when we all know who you are!!! If you dont know who skippy is i would be worried! :confused:

TheTramp
17th-February-2005, 12:37 AM
but that is because finding a partner also means finding someone who you will for ever argue with about who did the move wrong.
No question. It's always the man.

Especially when it's me!

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 12:50 AM
CC, you make a good point which is why we are always encouraged to dance with beginners. However it is harder for a male to "catch up" as they have to know/learn all the moves so that they can lead them. I know i am going to get jumped upon for this, and it is only IMHO, but i dance both male and female and nderstand the difficulties of both!!! :hug:

Andreas
17th-February-2005, 02:00 AM
No question. It's always the man.

:yeah: If the guy can't lead it, how should the lady know? There is a grey zone but even that one the guy can minimise. So bottom line is: it' the guy's fault.

Especially when it's me!

you are just waiting for some nice lady to tell you it isn't so :whistle: :rofl:

stewart38
17th-February-2005, 11:01 AM
This puzzles me.

*shrug*

Interesting comment

How many dancers partners are equal standard ?? 10%

Ive seen men who cant dance well ,win competitions because they have had a fantasic female on the end of the arm.

From my expereince Ive been runners up or got through many rounds of lucky dip with good dancers but no where with non good dancers (this is relative)

My phrase was 'smug' I dont expect great dancers to dance with me !! However two stewart38 wont win anything a stewart38 and another xyz may (with practice). A stewart 38 and a less then stewart38 wont win anything.

Debster
20th-February-2005, 03:31 AM
...My phrase was 'smug' I dont expect great dancers to dance with me !! However two stewart38 wont win anything ... unless they give it a try and practise hard to improve and build a raport and reasonable repetoire...

everybody has to start somewhere

look for potential and enjoyment

practise practise practise

and don't blame not winning on the standard of your partner... winning is hollow if you feel you didn't achieve it yourself.

Is that too harsh? Or should I say something more like...

There is only one trophy but if you have fun everybody can be a winner on the day :D