PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a book published?

Ste
9th-February-2005, 02:18 PM
I am thinking of writing a series of books, starting with one on self development. I think there is a gap in the market for what I have in mind.

I do not know much about this industry.

Would I be better off printing it myself and then selling it or just going to a publisher and who?

Aleks
9th-February-2005, 02:26 PM
Tell me more....I'm a prolific buyer of self-help books; being a natural medicine practitioner I regularly recommend them to clients.

There's a book (can't remember title but will get back to you) about how to write workshops/books designed to aid therapists in generating business and spreading their ideas, which might give you some pointers.

Lynn
9th-February-2005, 02:27 PM
I have heard one talk from a publisher - and I think it can be hard to get started. If you just send in your script it is unlikely to get published - they get loads of unsolicited scripts all the time. Its best to have some dialogue with the publisher before you actually write the book.

Also you need to make sure your proposed book will fit in with their style of books - so check out books with similar topics and see who the publishers are and that gives you some idea about who to approach.

Have you had anything else published? I think its easier to get published if you have been published before. Eg I co wrote a chapter for a book last year (by invitation) and have had a couple of magazine articles published so hopefully if I ever did want to write a book that might be a little help (if I am wanting to write in that 'area'.) It would depend on what style you want to write and your market (eg I think it would be hard to have a more academic work published if you hadn't already been published in relevant journals)

There are people who help you print yourself (I think its called 'vanity publishing') but it wouldn't be a very large circulation, it might be hard to get your books sold and I don't think it makes it any easier to get a publisher for your next book as it might make them think no-one wanted to publish it if you did it yourself.

But the key thing is to perservere! All the best!

Ste
9th-February-2005, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Aleks]Tell me more....I'm a prolific buyer of self-help books; being a natural medicine practitioner I regularly recommend them to clients.

QUOTE]

I too am a great reader of self development books and have been doing so since about 1981. I have loads and loads of them and they have been very helpful.

However, since the nineties I realised that something was missing from these books. Were the authors keeping me from something? I actually don't think that it is a conspiracy of silence..ie keeping your kung fu secrets to yourself, but rather sheer laziness and the limitations of the writing process.

I have constantly sought the type of book which I have in mind. I have bought so many books but that vital ingredient was missng. I have now sussed out what it was that I was searching for and the limitations of the books that I purchased and borrowed. If it is the end of the 19th Century and you can't buy a car, then make it yourself.

I am very interested in mental processes and that is why I obtained a psychology degree ( with law..I am a solicitor) and have an interest in business building and obviously self development.

The self development books that you buy often don't take into account the way that the reader actually thinks and I have borrowed, from the business world, techniques that facilitate the mental processes.

The product that I am thinking of is not on the market ( although it should be). I have been annoyed that no one has made this product for me and the other consumers like me. I have come up with an idea that is very practical and easy to use. I think the simplicity makes it more powerful than Robert Kiyosaki's ESBI model and books.

I guess it is easy to think up the thing ( I have an annoyingly creative mind) but hard to do and it will be interesting to see if I actually manage to publish it! ( Like the various songs that I have written which have been performed live but which I have not yet recorded and sent to publishers!!!!)

philsmove
9th-February-2005, 04:22 PM
I am thinking of writing a series of books, starting with one on self development. I think there is a gap in the market for what I have in mind.

I do not know much about this industry.

Would I be better off printing it myself and then selling it or just going to a publisher and who?

start here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713669365/qid=1107962435/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/026-7339608-6363651

Lynn
9th-February-2005, 04:31 PM
start here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713669365/qid=1107962435/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/026-7339608-6363651 Oh yes, I remember now that I once did a workshop called 'Writing for profit and pleasure' and that was mentioned. Forgot as it was a few years ago.

Will
9th-February-2005, 04:33 PM

You could do that, or you could write a book called "Forget James Cronin. I'm the Ceroc Daddy!" by S Wong

suggested forward

It was the mid 80's I'd just finished teaching Michael Jackson how to dance and choreographing all the video's on the Thriller & Bad albums, wondering where I could take my dancing from here. It was then that I stumbled on this strange new partner dance called "Ceroc". What follows is an account of how I amalgamated Ceroc with my own "Circ du Stevie Wong" flava, and hence forth revolutionised both the dance form and the fashions surrounding it.

"A rivoting read of a rags to riches (whilst still wearing the rags) success" - Time Out Magazine
"Wong captures the essense of dance in this spectacular account soaked in raw talent" - Dame Peggy Spencer
"Outrageous!" - The Sun

Ste
9th-February-2005, 05:18 PM
There goes my PR manager again. If Will was in sales he would make a fortune!Maybe you should write a book on PR Will.

DianaS
9th-February-2005, 05:20 PM
How about publishing The Hollow Tree
It's an excellent read!

Divissima
9th-February-2005, 05:25 PM
If you are considering publishing the book yourself, perhaps you could consider publishing it as an e-book. This would save on printing costs. I don't know how much the software would cost - but perhaps worth looking into. Then, instead of selling hard copies, you could charge people a subscription or to download it. Just an idea.

Gadget
9th-February-2005, 08:37 PM
A quick google found this site at the top few places: e-books writer (http://www.ebookswriter.com/) but that may just be because they have loaded their site with keywords.

Cruella
9th-February-2005, 09:20 PM
If you are into self help books you should read 'Authentic' How to make a living by being yourself. By Neil Croft. My husband has just read it, he thought it was so good he wrote to the author, who then replied and they met up for a chat! You should also look into doing 'The Forum' with a company called Landmark Education. Turned my life around.

RogerR
9th-February-2005, 10:10 PM
Access to a publisher gives you distribution also. The classical way is to research the publishers and find one who deals in your sort of book, then see if they will accept a synopsis. The modern way is to e-market it yourself, write the book and secure host it and charge a fee to download it, You still have to do lots of marketing tho.

Bangers & Mash
9th-February-2005, 10:21 PM
If it were me I would start by writing a number of articles or excerpts from the book and try and get it published in magazines that are relevant. That gets you noticed.

Beyond that, I would then consider publishing some (but not all) of the book electronically to try and generate a following. Try and identify how many people would be interested in the book and take online orders for the book.

Once this is done, if sufficient interest is generated then you could pay to publish the book yourself - it's not that expensive. Alternatively, you could write to publishers armed with the manuscript, the articles you have written, the e-content you have generated and a list of interested customers.

That would remove most of the risk for the publisher dealing with an unknown author.

Just a few ideas.

Don't rush out and spend money, You don't need to. All you need is a pc and a word-processor to get you started.

Once you get further down the line and are ready to publish electronically or explore further opportunities then give me a shout - I already have a comprehensive suite of e-publishing software and would be more than happy to help out there (no cost to you steve).

The trick is to have something to get people excited - then sell it based on the interested customers.

regards

John

Debster
9th-February-2005, 10:22 PM
Div is absolutely right. Do it online. It's the way to go, especially if you want to make money.

But if you really want is for your name to go on a shelf so it will live on in history, print it on paper. ;)

bigdjiver
9th-February-2005, 11:47 PM
Most publishers are looking for an author that will sell. It is often more important than the book. If you are not a "name" your chances are slim. The PD book you have not yet read is probably sitting in somebodies slush pile for just that reason.

bigdjiver
10th-February-2005, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE=Aleks]Tell me more....I'm a prolific buyer of self-help books; being a natural medicine practitioner I regularly recommend them to clients.

QUOTE]

I too am a great reader of self development books and have been doing so since about 1981. I have loads and loads of them and they have been very helpful.

However, since the nineties I realised that something was missing from these books. Were the authors keeping me from something? I actually don't think that it is a conspiracy of silence..ie keeping your kung fu secrets to yourself, but rather sheer laziness and the limitations of the writing process.

I have constantly sought the type of book which I have in mind. I have bought so many books but that vital ingredient was missng. I have now sussed out what it was that I was searching for and the limitations of the books that I purchased and borrowed. If it is the end of the 19th Century and you can't buy a car, then make it yourself.

I am very interested in mental processes and that is why I obtained a psychology degree ( with law..I am a solicitor) and have an interest in business building and obviously self development.

The self development books that you buy often don't take into account the way that the reader actually thinks and I have borrowed, from the business world, techniques that facilitate the mental processes.

The product that I am thinking of is not on the market ( although it should be). I have been annoyed that no one has made this product for me and the other consumers like me. I have come up with an idea that is very practical and easy to use. I think the simplicity makes it more powerful than Robert Kiyosaki's ESBI model and books.

I guess it is easy to think up the thing ( I have an annoyingly creative mind) but hard to do and it will be interesting to see if I actually manage to publish it! ( Like the various songs that I have written which have been performed live but which I have not yet recorded and sent to publishers!!!!)

There are various songwriter forums on usenet, and on the internet.

http://www.angelfire.com/music2/richhoncho/index.htm

There are sites which act as showcases for songwriters. www.soundclick.com www.nowhereradio.com, and sites to sell self published CD's www.cdbaby.com I enjoy downloading legal music and samples from these sites.

As for the book, "I am thinking of" ? Have you writen it, or even started it? It will need at least a synopsis to stand any chance of a publisher looking at it. Chapter one to accompany it might also persuade a publisher that you can write coherently and interestingly.

spindr
10th-February-2005, 01:56 AM
Don't know whether http://www.lulu.com/ might prove useful?

SpinDr.

Ste
10th-February-2005, 04:25 PM
I am coming to realise that this forum is a great place to get general advice, not even dance related.

There are some very skilled people here.

1. There is a muso
2. There is a City lawyer
3. There is one of the world's top librarians ( just google her name)
4. There is a wily IT / Marketeer who can save lives
5. There are peeps that know the publishing world.

Really really amazing

Will
10th-February-2005, 04:32 PM
I am coming to realise that this forum is a great place to get general advice, not even dance related.

There are some very skilled people here.
Thankyou.

Ste
10th-February-2005, 04:34 PM
Oops I forgot one of the country's top badminton players with a bright future as the Queen's publicist who has appeared on national radio and TV