PDA

View Full Version : How do I make up a web site and host it

Ste
9th-February-2005, 02:14 PM
I am really ignorant about websites.

How do I make one and then get it on the internet. I do not have a server.

Can I get one hosted free and if it is hosted free could I get a decent one with facility for a chat room and also payment? I am thinking of doing a advertising type of site.

Thanks guys

Lynn
9th-February-2005, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't mind a few tips on this as well as I would love to set up a site for NI Jive (really should be 'small-group-of-dancers-from-greater-Belfast-area Jive' but NI Jive sounds better!)

SwingSwingSwing
9th-February-2005, 08:13 PM
There are lots of ways to do this. But in general

1. Think of a domain name and buy it.

2. Design and build your website on your local PC.

3. Get some webspace from a hosting company that meets your needs

4. Upload your website files to your webspace

5. Test it

6. Point your domain name at your webspace.

If you only want a simple site then you may be able to get free webspace. Some of the domain name registration companies give you some free webspace. If you need features suchs as forums and on-line purchasing you will probably need to buy some space.

Unfortunately there are tonnes of companies out there to choose from and it can be confusing.

Good luck :)

SwingSwingSwing

bigdjiver
10th-February-2005, 12:04 AM
Presumably the site is to advertise your book. If so you will need to acquire the necessary experience of building and maintaining the site, and also of promoting it. There is an art to getting high rankings from search engines. One approach would be to find the local companies that offer web design service, and look at the sites they have developed and find one that has created sites that you like. If that fails, search further afield. Publishing writing or songs usually involves a long apprenticeship getting your work and yourself known, and getting to know the right people.
Most books and most songs are loss-makers. It is very difficult to make a living, it tends to be a fortune or a loss.

Ste
10th-February-2005, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately there are tonnes of companies out there to choose from and it can be confusing.

Good luck :)

SwingSwingSwing

That is the bit which is confusing me at the moment!

Banana Man
10th-February-2005, 08:38 PM
I am really ignorant about websites.

How do I make one and then get it on the internet. I do not have a server.

Can I get one hosted free and if it is hosted free could I get a decent one with facility for a chat room and also payment? I am thinking of doing a advertising type of site.

Thanks guys

Have a look here www.1and1.co.uk . I use it for secure project sites away from the office and our main website. Noticed the more expensive options (£20 per month) include chat rooms.

If you want to create your own website keep it simple, choice depends on what features you want to incorporate. There's plenty of magazines with teach yourself guides, or you could even risk buying MS Frontpage. :eek:

Bangers & Mash
10th-February-2005, 09:04 PM
I always use http://uk2.net - they're cheap and reliable

Dreadful Scathe
11th-February-2005, 01:09 AM
i use valuehost - see here - (http://www.valuehost.co.uk/hosting/) you get a lot for your money only 4.50 a month.

The thing is though, you probably DO have a web server already - most ISP's give you space. Who do you logon to the internet with ?

Ste
11th-February-2005, 03:47 AM
Who do you logon to the internet with ?

Errrr........I got a WHSmith CD years ago and that is how I get on the internet. Is that what you mean?

I am going to try to get an ECDL!!!

Dreadful Scathe
11th-February-2005, 05:10 PM
Apparantly WHSmith give you no web space. So you'll need to get some yourself.

However I'd keep it simple. I can help you get free web space, you can easily plug in a free chat room and it shouldnt cost you a penny. All you need then is a domain to map to your free web space i.e. www.ste.co.uk would be better than www.obscurecompany.com/`user/page/ - if you see what i mean.

Ste
16th-February-2005, 11:24 PM
Aw thanks Scathe.

i'll think about what i want.

Greetings to "Father Abraham"