PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with closed eyes?

Lory
8th-February-2005, 02:10 PM
When the music and atmosphere are perfect, do you sometimes get completely lost in your own little world and dance with your eyes closed?

Aleks
8th-February-2005, 02:14 PM
Often - Azande says I follow better with my eyes closed too.

spindr
8th-February-2005, 02:20 PM
When the music and atmosphere are perfect, do you sometimes get completely lost in your own little world and dance with your eyes closed?

It's a bit more difficult when you're leading... :)
...but it's great when you're concentrating on your partner so much -- and vice versa, that you keep dancing after the music stops, 'cause you're still dancing *with* each other...
...which can be a bit embarassing when everyone else has stopped in the (tango) class :rofl:

SpinDr.

Lynn
8th-February-2005, 02:50 PM
Hmm, could be risky in late night (early morning) blues, head on the guys shoulder, eyes, closed... zzzzz (and no I haven't actually done that!)

bigdjiver
8th-February-2005, 02:56 PM
As leader I have to keep my eyes open. It is only on the rare bluesy track, with the right partner, that I can have that luxury. What it comes down to is only twice in all my MJ experience. :tears: but, ah, those two times ...

Gadget
8th-February-2005, 03:02 PM
It's a bit more difficult when you're leading... :)
I normally only close my eyes when learning routines; in a class where I am (reasonably) sure that everyone is going to stay in their lines and I can stay in my space without fear of leading the lady into someone else. I find that I can 'see' the paths I have to lead clearer without interferance from my eyes. It also helps feel resistance, pressure, contact and direction from my partner. The only 'scary' bit is leading a lady into a freespin and wondering if you are going to catch her again. I havn't missed yet, but it's still a worry.

I have however focused into 'tunnel vision' with my partner so that everything else is just faded background noise and blur. .... *sigh* :D

Robin
8th-February-2005, 03:03 PM

Do it with tezi all the time - only problem is getting too carried away !!! :wink:

Lory
8th-February-2005, 03:15 PM
Hmm, could be risky in late night (early morning) blues, head on the guys shoulder, eyes, closed... zzzzz (and no I haven't actually done that!)
Sounds perfect to me! :drool:

And, don't worry Lynn, if you 'drop off' at Southport, I'm sure one of us will make sure you get back to your challet safely and tuck you in! ;) :hug:

drathzel
8th-February-2005, 03:19 PM
I didn't even realised that i did it until someone pointed it out! I only do it occassionaly. You tend to be more careful with you partner if you know they have their eyes closed ie, making sure you lead them into the move or offer the hand outso that you can be led properly! I think i could only close my eyes for a long period during the dance if i REALLY trusted my partner! :hug:

Lynn
8th-February-2005, 03:20 PM
Sounds perfect to me! :drool:

And, don't worry Lynn, if you 'drop off' at Southport, I'm sure one of us will make sure you get back to your challet safely and tuck you in! ;) :hug: :hug: I suppose I will have to get back to my chalet at some stage... but not until daylight...

Simon r
8th-February-2005, 03:25 PM
i'm afraid i do it if i am really enjoying myself or really like the music :whistle:

Rhythm King
8th-February-2005, 03:39 PM
I definitely close my eyes when dancing blues late at night, with the right person, provided I feel the environment is safe to do so (Circular dancing? - you know who you are :wink: :drool: :flower: )

I also frequently close my eyes when starting to dance with someone. I do this whilst in closed position for a couple of reasons. It lets me feel the connection with the follower, so I can make a judgement on how to adjust my lead to suit her (or Andy :whistle: ) It then lets me concentrate on feeling the music, so as to start dancing in a style to suit the music and at an appropriate place - ie not starting a long, complicated move as the musical phrase leads into a break, for example. Of course if I know the song and the partner well, then I may just dive straight on in, with a suitably theatrical lead on to the floor - Sometimes I just get carried away :blush: (Although I've recently discovered the "caveman approach" works with certain ladies - you know who you are too :whistle: :innocent: :rofl:)

R-K x

Zebra Woman
8th-February-2005, 05:21 PM
:yeah: If the music and dancing are both perfect I sometimes inadvertently close my eyes. I have even come round with a real jolt and wondered where I am :eek: . I closed my eyes and dreamed I was in the blues room at Southport once when I was actually at Hipsters. :blush: (same partner :innocent: )

It's like when you have a little nap in the afternoon that's too deep and you wake up in a panic thinking it's the morning.

ZW :flower:

philsmove
8th-February-2005, 10:07 PM
I was going to ask whether your partner closes their eyes as well

Of course, if your eyes are closed, you should not able to tell

But, you can can’t you

frodo
9th-February-2005, 12:41 AM
It can be a little disconcerting to beginner leaders when the follower closes their eyes though.

I don't think those that do are idiots - just a bit suicidal.

I'm assuming the poll refers to dance rather than class situations, where the teacher has either leader or follower close their eyes to illustrate something or other.

Minnie M
9th-February-2005, 01:08 AM
I didn't even realised that i did it until someone pointed it out! I only do it occassionaly..........
me too :really: :blush:

drathzel
9th-February-2005, 08:55 AM
I was going to ask whether your partner closes their eyes as well

Of course, if your eyes are closed, you should not able to tell

But, you can can’t you

A bit like kissing then! :yum:

Gadget
9th-February-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey DS - ticking them all is cheating!

CJ
9th-February-2005, 02:30 PM
Dancing as leader doesn't lend itself to closing eyes.

However, if dancing a la muggle: absolutely!! Often. Is fab..... :D

drathzel
9th-February-2005, 02:41 PM
Dancing as leader doesn't lend itself to closing eyes.

However, if dancing a la muggle: absolutely!! Often. Is fab..... :D

Nah you see, i'm going to have to disagree with you there! :devil: I have danced with a few men/leaders, who have closed their eyes during the lead and the dance is just as good!

John S
9th-February-2005, 02:55 PM
Doh!!!

Am I supposed to have my eyes open??

That's where I've been going wrong then!

drathzel
9th-February-2005, 03:15 PM
Doh!!!

Wow, imagine how fantastic you would be if you opened your eyes!!! tee hee!!!! :rofl:

cheeks
9th-February-2005, 03:29 PM
Doh!!!

John I've never complained yet..... :drool:

Sheepman
9th-February-2005, 05:12 PM
I was thinking just last night, one of the best parts about those rare "special" dances is the eye contact, which of course you can't do that with eyes closed, you also can't do it too well if, like me, you are constantly looking around for a safe spot to put your partner, (the eye contact thing diminishes a bit if your partner is bruised and battered!) I have tried it while dancing on an empty floor, but more as an exercise than being taken over by the moment.
I will do it from time to time in blues, after all you've got plenty of other contact :blush: and usually you can't see your partners eyes anyway.

Greg

Bill
9th-February-2005, 05:33 PM

Think I do from time to time and might have done that more last Sunday for some reason :D :whistle:

I do tend to get cuaght up in the music when it's a track I really enjoy - and there were plenty of those at the weekend !!!! :clap:

John S
9th-February-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow, imagine how fantastic you would be if you opened your eyes!!! tee hee!!!! :rofl:
All the better to see you with ..........

John S
9th-February-2005, 05:45 PM
John I've never complained yet..... :drool:
Yet? So there's a complaint on its way? :sad:

drathzel
9th-February-2005, 08:00 PM
All the better to see you with ..........

maybe its best you keep your eyes closed then!!!!:whistle:

skippy
9th-February-2005, 08:20 PM
Think I do from time to time and might have done that more last Sunday for some reason :D :whistle:

I do tend to get cuaght up in the music when it's a track I really enjoy - and there were plenty of those at the weekend !!!! :clap:

Our loss, wished I was there, maybe next time. :tears: :hug:

I was at a class on Monday in Dundee, our teacher Elaine got all the women to close their eyes to help the men as some ladies were not following well. It worked!! :cheers: :flower:

skippy
9th-February-2005, 08:24 PM
maybe its best you keep your eyes closed then!!!!:whistle:

Cheeky
it depends on the partner and whether you want to look at them I supposed!! :flower: :kiss: