PDA

View Full Version : AOL problems broadband

stewart38
4th-February-2005, 02:48 PM
2 months ago i upgraded to broadband AOL after being on standard AOL for 2yrs plus with little problem

I started experiencing connection problems with AOL Broadband (after only having it for a week) I couldnt get on the internet after logging on.

It seemed to have been fixed once .

Despite numerous calls to their tech. support cant get on at all now. There suggesting my windows 98 isnt any good

I think i virus now - a trojan ? and generally the pc just ground to a halt and i cant switch it of. Despite over 20 calls to AOL and them suggesting all sorts of tweaking and tinkering nothing. Would buying more modern windows and re formating help ?

Do i buy a new PC ? Ive told credit card company im not paying monthly subscription

Steven
4th-February-2005, 02:55 PM
How old is the pc? Firstly windows 98 is getting on a bit now and doesn't always play nicely with USB. I am asuming that you are using the usb modem that they supplied. If the pc is running slowly then it sounds like you have a virus of some form. Do you have a firewall? Do you use AOL to surf the web or just connect and use another browser?

Cheers
Steven

stewart38
4th-February-2005, 03:05 PM
I know nothing about computers but PC is cira 1999 or 2000 . It was state of the art then

Its 733mgz (or what ever) . I know now they are about 2000 or 3000

I was told by AOL it was ok when i sign up for broadband platimum service, said to be 20 times faster.

Im using everying supplied by AOL and it worked fine for first week

Then no connection after 10 calls they checked line and when i got home it worked fine again for a day or two. In fact it didnt kick me off

Then couldn't get on , PC said couldnt find phone connection but there is

Loads of calls to AOL . My modem and power light is on etc etc

I was going to either get windows XP ?? (the latest and put that on) but they said i would need re formating ??

My pc never shuts down now i have to switch it of and i seem now to have 3 virus that are quarnteened. I have Spyware (paid for product) . Tons of old games on computer (someone said that might be a problem)

Or get a new PC . I like the newer flat screens

My mate is a bit IT but not much , any suggestions ??

stewart38
4th-February-2005, 03:07 PM
Ive been told by AOL after checks i have no Firewall and AOL is my home page etc

azande
4th-February-2005, 03:14 PM
Ive been told by AOL after checks i have no Firewall and AOL is my home page etc
Stuart, have a look at this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4338). There is a link to an article about safe computing with few general points.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-February-2005, 04:01 PM
why did you not post this in chit chat stewart ? no matter.

Dont even consider installing XP on an older machine. If you have the money get a new one £300 would do you for a decent spec machine nowadays with XP pre-installed. Aria are pretty good - go to this build your own pc page (http://www.aria.co.uk/newAriaSystems.asp) where prices start at about £150. You can also get a 17" tft screen from them for around £150, so it needn't break the bank.

If you dont have the money you'll need to remove viruses, spyware and defragment your HD to get a smoother PC.

stewart38
4th-February-2005, 04:16 PM
why did you not post this in chit chat stewart ? no matter.

Dont even consider installing XP on an older machine. If you have the money get a new one £300 would do you for a decent spec machine nowadays with XP pre-installed. Aria are pretty good - go to this build your own pc page (http://www.aria.co.uk/newAriaSystems.asp) where prices start at about £150. You can also get a 17" tft screen from them for around £150, so it needn't break the bank.

If you dont have the money you'll need to remove viruses, spyware and defragment your HD to get a smoother PC.

Thanks for feed back.Didnt put it on chit chat but maybe i should have didnt think it was worthy for larger auidence

So i wont pay £80 for XP windows best to get new PC (I sort of want one anyway) . Money isnt a problem, i proably get state of the art and loads of crap i dont need.

i just want to get back on line

I know ill have hassles with AOL cancelling contract so i assume if i get new pc put my broadband cd back in ,reload AOL 9 etc it should all work ?. I have a sort of IT mate that should help tomorrow to save some files on my old PC.

re firewall anti virus etc etc what is best. Im sure i have norton anti virus on there from yrs ago not updated , spyware recently (paid for version)

AOL has something ? my spyware keeps running in the background and i have virius now im sure. I assume its safe to put on old files to new computer (just some spreas sheet etc) and any virus on them would be picked up by new virus protection on new PC

some people say AOL broadband can give you virius ? im sure that cant be true ?

im paying £29.99 a month for broadband platimum

Steven
4th-February-2005, 04:37 PM
AOL should have supplied you with a free antivirus package with your broadband. Any connection to the internet can allow a virus to infect the computer if unprotected. XP has its own inbuilt firewall (not perfect) but better than nothing. As DS says you are better going with a new pc as your current one won't like running XP.

Reloading AOL on to a new computer should work without any problems.

One tip though.....connect using the AOL dialer (not AOL 9) and use a seperate mail and internet client (i.e. thunderbird - email, firebird - web). This is what I have set up on the pc at home.

Cheers
Steven

Trousers
4th-February-2005, 04:39 PM
Read all the above and agree with most.
But I use AOL on a whole bunch of different machines with different OS's 98 and XP
However when I run it via 98 it is version 7 over dial up.
Over Broadband on XP works fine - was a glitch with Service Pack 2 but if you buy new SP2 will be installed anyway.
So if you are buying new then AOL9 will be fine - it will download a SP2 patch thats all.
AOL is the only service provider I found that does ya Broadband and will give you a freephone dialin connection in same cost. Great for contractors working all around.