PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you pass 40 ?

stewart38
4th-February-2005, 12:25 PM
Next week I hate to say it but ill be 40 :sad: . ok I look 35 but thats not the point, Im dreading it

For those of you who are brave enough to admit they have passed 40 what happens ?

For those of you who are no where near 40 I can suggest if your 30s go as fast as mine you will be there sooner then you know

Does life begin at 40 ? Do I need to get leathers a motor mike and head out west and leave the rat race behind.

And if anyone else tells me its just another number ill go mad !

Im going to stay 40 for at least 3yrs anyway

philsmove
4th-February-2005, 12:49 PM
Don’t worry about it

I'm a lot older than you

Remember you are as young as the women you feel

Andy McGregor
4th-February-2005, 12:55 PM
For those of you who are brave enough to admit they have passed 40 what happens?

You don't feel any different from how you felt the day before. People take the pi55 for a few days - or longer if they think it bothers you :tears:

Ageing is a slow process. In my thirties I fought a war against it. In my forties I've come to accept it as part of life. The most important thing, IMHO, is to stay active physically and stay young in your mind. Do not try to recapture your youth - on the other hand, have the confidence to do and try things you missed out on when you were younger.

And, consider this maths. You expect or plan to live for 91 years, your adult life starts at 21. You therefore have 70 years of adult life to live - at forty you've only lived 19 years as an adult: you aren't even one third of the way through adulthood. You're only half-way at 56 :clap:

N.B. Some psychologists say that we're only formed at an adult personality at at about 25. So at forty we've only been a grown-up for 15 years.

El Salsero Gringo
4th-February-2005, 01:02 PM
N.B. Some psychologists say that we're only formed at an adult personality at at about 25. So at forty we've only been a grown-up for 15 years.

34 and no sign of it yet...

foxylady
4th-February-2005, 01:04 PM
34 and no sign of it yet...

So I'd noticed ! :wink:

Clive Long
4th-February-2005, 01:07 PM
Next week I hate to say it but ill be 40 :sad: . ok I look 35 but thats not the point, Im dreading it

For those of you who are brave enough to admit they have passed 40 what happens ?

For those of you who are no where near 40 I can suggest if your 30s go as fast as mine you will be there sooner then you know

Does life begin at 40 ? Do I need to get leathers a motor mike and head out west and leave the rat race behind.

And if anyone else tells me its just another number ill go mad !

Im going to stay 40 for at least 3yrs anyway

It's all to do with what's going on in your noodle.

I was older at 25 than I am at 45. I enjoy more now than then but worry just as much.

I hope I'm not a sad old git desperately trying to recapture a lost youth. Whisper gently in my ear someone if I am.

You will probably have joined "Friends Reunited" to feed the desire to know "I wonder what happened to". Re-unions, scary things - can trigger lots of uncomfortable self-examination. Best avoided or approached with alcohol.

DianaS
4th-February-2005, 01:12 PM
I was 40 in December it was lovely. I had two parties (one for familly, one for dancers) and LOADs of presents.

People took me out for meals and I spent the day at a health club. My son brought me breakfast in bed, and both sons made me a handmand card EACH- I cried.

Being 40 means that you've had every thing that you didn't choose cas you didn't really understand what you were choosing
and now you REALLY choose the rest..

Happy Birthday!
Love Di

Clive Long
4th-February-2005, 01:39 PM
N.B. Some psychologists say that we're only formed at an adult personality at at about 25.

In my experience it should be illegal for men to be allowed to marry before they are 30 (and some not even then). A woman has enough to do bringing up the children she has given birth to.

CRL

Swinging bee
4th-February-2005, 02:40 PM
Speaking from some one who is long past 40............ It goes like this... After a while things start to fall off....that little nagging injury that you ignored a few years ago now comes back to haunt you.........your arms don't seem to be long enough any more when you are reading small print........All your clothes seem to have shrunk in the wardrobe .....age is in the mind. the trick is to keep it from creeping down your body....
Everything you had twenty years ago, you still have, but its much lower.
Your narrow waist and broad mind change places..... You seem to grow old alone because your wife hasn't had a birthday for five years .... A pretty young thing smiles at you and thinks you're one of her fathers friends...... :tears:

remember...Sex is the most fun you can have without laughing...... : :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
4th-February-2005, 02:42 PM
Right, that's it. Pass me the razor blades, someone - I'm all done now.

Minnie M
4th-February-2005, 03:17 PM
Speaking from some one who is long past 40............ It goes like this... After a while things start to fall off....that little nagging injury that you ignored a few years ago now comes back to haunt you.........your arms don't seem to be long enough any more when you are reading small print........All your clothes seem to have shrunk in the wardrobe .....age is in the mind. the trick is to keep it from creeping down your body....
Everything you had twenty years ago, you still have, but its much lower.
Your narrow waist and broad mind change places..... You seem to grow old alone because your wife hasn't had a birthday for five years .... A pretty young thing smiles at you and thinks you're one of her fathers friends...... :tears:

remember...Sex is the most fun you can have without laughing...... : :wink:
:yeah: :yeah: :o
It's great being a 'Sexarian' isn't that what they call it :rofl:
Check out my signature

Trousers
4th-February-2005, 03:48 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :o
It's great being a 'Sexarian' isn't that what they call it :rofl:
Check out my signature

I was born in April too - and sex is also great! :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-February-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope I'm not a sad old git desperately trying to recapture a lost youth. Whisper gently in my ear someone if I am.

whisper You're a sad old git ! I SAID..

You're a SAD OLD GIT if you never heard me the first time old timer ;) :)

Stuart
4th-February-2005, 05:55 PM
Speaking as someone who passed 40 a couple of years ago, I haven't really noticed much difference although aches and pains, for example from dancing, take longer to go away. However that was something I noticed from before I was 40.

Somebody kindly printed off the following list from another messageboard for me for my 40th and I thought I would reproduce some of it here:

Symptons of getting older:

1) You leave clubs before the end to "beat the rush";

2) You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer and start dreaming of having a son who might instead;

3) You prefer "Later with Jools Holland" to "Top of the Pops";

4) All of a sudden, Tony Blair is not 50, he's only 50;

5) Before going out anywhere, you ask what the parking is like;

6) Rather than throw a knackered pair of trainers out, you keep them because they'll be all right for the garden;

7) You start to worry about your parent's health;

8) Pop Music all starts to sound crap;

9) You opt for Pizza Express over Pizza Hut because they don't have any pictures on the menu and anyway, they do a really nice bottle of house white;

10) You always have enough milk in;

11) To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing, you instead frequent really loud Tapas restaurants and franchise pubs with wacky names in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents;

12) The benefits of a pension scheme become clear;

13) You wish you had a shed ;

14) You have a shed;

15) You actually find yourself saying "They don't make them like that any more" and "I remember when there were only three TV Channels" and "Of course, in my day...";

16) Radio 2 plays more songs you know than Radio 1, and Jeremy Vine has some really interesting guests on;

17) Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, you tut at school children whose diction is poor;

18) When sitting outside a pub, you become envious of their hanging baskets;

19) You make an effort to be in and out of the curry house by 11; and

20) You find yourself saying "Is it cold in here or is it just me?".

Clive Long
4th-February-2005, 06:01 PM
I SAID..

You're a SAD OLD GIT if you never heard me the first time old timer ;) :)

Speak up laddie I didn't catch that.

My, don't young people mumble nowadays !

CRL

latinlover
4th-February-2005, 06:13 PM
you get flashed and fined!!

latinlover
4th-February-2005, 06:23 PM

1) You leave clubs before the end to "beat the rush";.................

big snip.............................................. .......

and

ouch!.............................

but I am having much more fun now (and I'm closer to fifty than forty) than I did in my teens & twenties, mostly because I'm not worrying about people liking me any more!
:waycool:

Minnie M
4th-February-2005, 06:35 PM
:yeah: Great answer to a IMO silly question :cheers:

Minnie M (OAP) :tears:

under par
5th-February-2005, 12:33 AM

Agree with Minnie very lateral response LL :worthy:

under par
5th-February-2005, 12:34 AM
ouch!.............................

but I am having much more fun now (and I'm closer to fifty than forty) than I did in my teens & twenties, mostly because I'm not worrying about people liking me any more!
:waycool:

Just as well LL cos we DO like you. :yeah: :cheers:
Enjoy life to the fullest :flower:

Daisy Chain
5th-February-2005, 05:15 PM
Only 10 more years and you too can go on a Saga holiday.

Daisy

(A Forty-something Little FLower)

stewart38
7th-February-2005, 10:34 AM
Only 10 more years and you too can go on a Saga holiday.

Daisy

(A Forty-something Little FLower)

You can go on a Saga holiday at 45 I hear if your 'partner' is over 50

and I never have enough milk !

Minnie M
7th-February-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't know what all the fuss is about - I didn't mind at all being 40, but really really hated reaching 50, so much so I couldn't say the number until I was 54 and that was when I had my 50th birthday party. It was great as so many people said I didn't look 50 :blush: (how kind some people are)

I loved my 60th birthday had an amazing party and ON my birthday week and now my 61st birthday is next month, I am not worried at all about who knows how old I am, however I am dreading being 70, now that is REALLY REALLY OLD

bobgadjet
7th-February-2005, 12:08 PM
Speaking as someone who passed 40 a couple of years ago, I haven't really noticed much difference although aches and pains, for example from dancing, take longer to go away. However that was something I noticed from before I was 40.

Somebody kindly printed off the following list from another messageboard for me for my 40th and I thought I would reproduce some of it here:

2) You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer and start dreaming of having a son who might instead;

6) Rather than throw a knackered pair of trainers out, you keep them because they'll be all right for the garden;

9) You opt for Pizza Express over Pizza Hut because they don't have any pictures on the menu and anyway, they do a really nice bottle of house white;

11) To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing, you instead frequent really loud Tapas restaurants and franchise pubs with wacky names in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents;

14) You have a shed;

15) You actually find yourself saying "They don't make them like that any more" and "I remember when there were only three TV Channels" and "Of course, in my day...";

16) Radio 2 plays more songs you know than Radio 1, and Jeremy Vine has some really interesting guests on;

17) Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, you tut at school children whose diction is poor;

:rofl:

OH, HOW TRUE (unfortunately), wheres my morning coffee, slippers etc

Clive Long
7th-February-2005, 12:08 PM
<< snip >>
but really really hated reaching 50, so much so I couldn't say the number until I was 54 and that was when I had my 50th birthday party. It was great as so many people said I didn't look 50 :blush: (how kind some people are)

Strangely enough I had my "four years delayed" birthday party last December. Not because I dreaded being 40 but only because I was so disorganised (4 years !!!) that I couldn't arrange an event that I really wanted. After the 4 yearsd delay and much badgering from a friend, I had my friends togther in a restaurant and had a fabulous time (like you).

I loved my 60th birthday had an amazing party and ON my birthday month and now my 61st birthday is next week,
<< snip >>

So where you dancing on your birthday babe? Gizza dance, go on, gizza dance.

Don't say the 15th as I'm otherwise engaged.

Clive

bobgadjet
7th-February-2005, 12:10 PM

14) You have a shed;

OH, HOW TRUE (unfortunately)

I don't remember my 40th (must be an age thing :whistle: ), but I do remember my 50th(yes I know you can't really belive that ! !).
I had seven days/nights of parties, and 8, yes, that's EIGHT, birthday cakes, so you do have something grand to look forward to.

Minnie M
7th-February-2005, 12:20 PM
........So where you dancing on your birthday babe? Gizza dance, go on, gizza dance.

Don't say the 15th as I'm otherwise engaged.

Clive

woops - made a mistake in my post, changed it now, got the week/month round the wrong way (it's my age you know)

My birthday is the 23rd March

I would love to have that dance though :yeah: :clap: in fact, I am looking forward to it :flower:

Talking about birthday cakes - I would like to thank Bobgadget for my AMAZING 60th birthday cake :hug: he bought me on my birthday when I was working at the Winning Post - it was big enough to feed the whole club and it was yum yum yummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry for going off thread Stewart, but you do realise that men are at their best in their 40's you only have to see by the age of the current heart-throbs (you know who they are - too many to list)

bobgadjet
7th-February-2005, 12:35 PM
Talking about birthday cakes - I would like to thank Bobgadget for my AMAZING 60th birthday cake :hug: he bought me on my birthday when I was working at the Winning Post - it was big enough to feed the whole club and it was yum yum yummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry for going off thread Stewart, but you do realise that men are at their best in their 40's you only have to see by the age of the current heart-throbs (you know who they are - too many to list)
AHHHHH, you,re sooooo kind, and huggable :hug::cheers:

So, I've definately missed out on the 40's, and being a heartthrob then? Drats:o