PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter

Bill
14th-November-2002, 03:48 PM
Thought the title might entice a few viewers but after the 'Heroes' thread I was thinking of how most of the men I admire all seem to be of average - or below average height and whether the height of a man is particularly important.

I know there are tall men ( and how tall is 'tall' :confused: ) but is it a coincidence that men such as Nigel, Viktor, Clayton and a few others are all around 5' 8" - 5' 11" I think (.....I haven't actually measure them).

Is it a coincidence ? Is it something to do with centre of gravity/ length of leg etc... I've seen some very tall men struggle with moves such as a comb and some have a habit of pulling women almost off their feet.

Is there an optimum height for most styles of dancing - does it really depend on the height of the woman ?? :confused: :what:

A genuine enquiry honest. And does the height of a male dancer make any difference to the majority of you women out there ? I hesitate to say - does size matter - but when dancing with a man - does it? :confused:

Franck
14th-November-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Bill
A genuine enquiry honest. And does the height of a male dancer make any difference to the majority of you women out there ? I hesitate to say - does size matter - but when dancing with a man - does it? :confused:Oh Bill :devil: You are courting trouble aren't you??? :wink:

To answer your 'serious' point, the issue can be divided into separate categories.

¥ First of all, there is the relative height of both dancers. A very tall man dancing with a very small woman will cause the kind of problem you refer to, and could be quite uncomfortable... :sorry
Conversely, a small man with a very tall woman would struggle with a lot of moves...

¥ The second aspect is: Absolute height, I would say that it does not affect the quality of your dancing, rather than the Style of your dancing. Taller men will develop a different style over time from smaller men. The same principle applies to shape / build as well as height!

So, here's my tuppence anyway, but would like to hear a female perspective as well! :na:

Franck.

Lorna
14th-November-2002, 05:43 PM
So, here's my tuppence anyway,
Franck. I knew that you would be the first person on this thread Franck!

Say no more. :wink:

As for my viewpoint, size doesn't make any difference to me. I enjoy both the tall and the more vertically challenged of the men out there. What 's more important to me is that you have the right attitude. This way you are sure to enjoy every dance.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Bill
14th-November-2002, 05:47 PM
Interesting ............and thanks.

Perhaps there are more 'good' dancers who are not that tall simply because there are fewer very tall men ?????

As i said, it was genuine enquiry and I wondered if there is an optimum height where a man can dance comfortably with smaller and taller women.

As you both say - perhaps it doesn't matter if he's 5' 2 or 6' 2 as long as he can dance well. Wonder how tall Viktor and Nigel are ??? :rolleyes:

Gadget
14th-November-2002, 06:32 PM
I hesitate to say - does size matter - but when dancing with a man - does it? :confused:
The best example I have seen to demonstrate that it shouldn't make a diference is a lead I see every couple of weeks in Aberdeen: (unfortunatly I can't remember names, so you will have to go by the dodgy description...)
The male lead I'm thinking of has been dancing a while; he's about 6'3" and built like a farmer but dances very delicatly. Very good dancer - I have seen him dance with ladies of diminutive stature (4ft & a fag paper) with ease and grace, doing pretzels and tunnels without any problems.
I did have problems with the comb for a while, but after a while I got the knack of trying to keep the body upright, but sholders only slightly higher than my partners - without looking like i'm taking a country one. (I hope:sorry:rolleyes: )

I'm just over 6ft; dancing with smaller women just means that on some moves my knees are more bent and I have to be carefull in others of not putting my legs in the way.
What I find is that with taller women, I have to remember to lift my arm a bit higher to avoid clunking them. :sorry:

Keith
14th-November-2002, 08:23 PM
Wonder how tall Viktor and Nigel are ???

Nigel 5'9'' to 5'10'' approx, just under 12 st 38 chest, 32 waist, 151/2 collar.
Victor 5'11'', may argue 6', 40-42 chest, 32 waist, 16 collar, would be a large in a vest, or medium if lycra.
Only guessing though :D

Tiggerbabe
14th-November-2002, 08:55 PM
And how tall is Elliot?

Does that answer your question?

Seriously though, I'm 5ft 6 and he wasn't as tall as me - and I'll guarantee there wasn't a single girl in the hall who wouldn't have wanted to have been in my shoes:yum: :yum:

I'm lucky to be tall enough (although I've always thought I was just average height!) not to have any trouble dancing with the over 6 ft people and not too tall to cause any problems (height-wise!) to any of the guys who aren't.:what:

The only thing I don't like to see is really tall guys who dance as if they are trying to be smaller - ie they bend from their waist and not their knees.:sad:

Anyway if it makes any of you feel any better two of my fav blokes of all time - Andy Garcia and Mel Gibson (neither known for their huge.........oops.:devil: height)

Tiggerbabe
14th-November-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Keith
Wonder how tall Viktor and Nigel are ???

Nigel 5'9'' to 5'10'' approx, just under 12 st 38 chest, 32 waist, 151/2 collar.
Victor 5'11'', may argue 6', 40-42 chest, 32 waist, 16 collar, would be a large in a vest, or medium if lycra.
Only guessing though :D

Only guessing??????

I might need to disagree - anyone got a tape-measure:wink: :wink: :wink:

John S
14th-November-2002, 09:13 PM
When I saw that the latest post on this particular Forum was from Sheena I just KNEW which thread she would be commenting on - I just think even she would have two messages already!

As to height, I think aesthetically it looks better if the man is at least as tall as the lady, but maybe that's just a cultural hang-up and I take Sheena's point about her dancing with Elliot at the Scottish Competition - I know she wouldn't have traded him in for some big skinnymalinky longlegs (that should make some of our English readers sit up!)

Potentially, I would see more problems with a lady's girth than with her height - a man's arms are usually long enough to reach up above her head if necessary, but occasionally it could be a bit of a strain trying to get both arms round her! I guess the same would happen with a rotund man as well, but it's not something I fancy trying.

And no, I have no-one particular in mind AND this is purely a theoretical response, AND very obviously I don't mean Sheena (or anyone else on this Forum who I have danced with!!!)

(Doubt whether that last bit will be enough to stop me being flamed, though!!!):sorry

Tiggerbabe
14th-November-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by John S
Potentially, I would see more problems with a lady's girth than with her height - a man's arms are usually long enough to reach up above her head if necessary, but occasionally it could be a bit of a strain trying to get both arms round her! Some people never learn - goodbye ol' chum!:tears: :tears: :tears:

Wendy
14th-November-2002, 10:12 PM
I think for most CEROC moves, height probably doesn't matter- as said already tall people can bend etc.

However for the closer moves I would want to dance with someone just the right height (I'll go measure my faves and get back to you :wink: ) Over 6 ft for me is probably pushing it.

The one move I really really hate with very tall guys is the bum to bum one where I feel the guy's bum in my back and I feel like my bum is against his knees yeuccchhhh !!!

It's a technique thing again isn't it ? i.e. Some people just don't lift their hands up enough to spin under although they are tall enough :reallymad

We women are kind of brainwashed to think that tall is better but I've had some great dances with guys who are smaller than I am.

Wx

PS Isn't it refreshing to talk about CEROC for a change !!! Thank you, Bill.

Graham
14th-November-2002, 10:16 PM
I'm hesitant to contribute given the depth of skill and experience represented by the previous posters, but since none of you have raised this point so far I thought throw it in anyway.

I think that being "compatible" heights/builds makes it easier to dance with each other. So speaking from my perspective, it's not impossible to dance with someone who is much smaller, but for it to feel (and I assume look?) as good, she would have to be a better follower than someone taller, as I have less flexibility in adjusting to her, given that I'm already adjusting my positioning to cope with her height.

I also think the same applies to heavier partners - you can more easily force/manipulate a lighter partner through the moves, so can cope with a lower standard of following than if she was bigger.

As an aside, I have the same problem as Gadget with tall women - I'm not used to it, and tend to clip their head with my forearm. I'm really sorry!! :sorry :sorry :sorry

Tiggerbabe
15th-November-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Graham

you can more easily force/manipulate a lighter partner through the moves, so can cope with a lower standard of following than if she was bigger.

But Graham you wouldn't EVER dream of forcing a lady to do anything now would you?:reallymad

I honestly think this has nothing to do with size - when I am taxi-ing and dancing as a man.......there are certain ladies that it is more difficult to lead and this is because they are more tense, have no resistance or too much resistance (you know the dance frame thingy- if I push you will step back:confused: ) ........it really doesn't matter if they are big, little, large or small.

By the way - there's one guy in Dundee who continually bumps my head and he's only slightly taller than I am:reallymad :reallymad

There is no doubt though - from an aesthetic viewpoint - that if both partners are compatible heightwise - it looks good.:D

John S
15th-November-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Sheena

By the way - there's one guy in Dundee who continually bumps my head and he's only slightly taller than I am:reallymad :reallymad

Soooo ......... next Wednesday there'll be a line-up, in the style of The Usual Suspects.

And I think it's ........aaaaaarrrrrrggghhh!!!:what:

DavidB
15th-November-2002, 03:39 AM
I think height difference only causes a problem in Ballroom dancing. You have to adjust the frame so much that it can start to feel uncomfortable. Height difference looks bad when doing aerials. We have seen European Rock'n'Roll couples with a fifteen inch height difference, and close to a 3:1 weight ratio. It just doesn't look right.

But I can think of at least 2 couples, who are amongst the best dancers in the world in their styles, that have significant height/build differences. (David Howland & Vivienne Ramsey, and Kyle Redd & Sara Vann Drake). Despite the differences, they still look well matched.

Weight should make absolutely no difference to dancing. I don't expect to give a 'stronger' lead to a larger lady. I would assume any lady (or man) is used to their weight, can balance themselves, and can start and stop moving of their own accord. My job is to lead, not to be a physical support! Obviously if someone literally starts throwing their weight around they can do damage to their partner. But I find that larger people are more aware of this, and are less likely to cause injury.

As for bumping the top of the lady's head, there is a simple fix. Watch the lady as she turns! How many times have you actually seen your hand hit the top of her head? It is when we men get lazy, or are thinking too much about style, or simply forget about the lady that we bump her head.

David

Sandy
15th-November-2002, 09:12 AM
Thought the title might entice a few viewers but after the 'Heroes' thread I was thinking of how most of the men I admire all seem to be of average - or below average height and whether the height of a man is particularly important.Some of the best dancers I know are not tall and yep Sheena, Elliot was a dream dancer.:yum:

Only had problems with one very short dancer when I managed to knock his glasses off when we did a turn. The eye to eye contact can be interesting if there is a big difference in height!

Cheers

Sandy:wink:

Keith
15th-November-2002, 10:40 AM
Obviously if someone literally starts throwing their weight around they can do damage to their partner
Sorry David have to disagree!
If you let go in time they never damage you! May take out a few fellow dancers, but you can walk away totaly unharmed! :wink:

DavidB
15th-November-2002, 11:23 AM
If you let go in time they never damage you! May take out a few fellow dancers, but you can walk away totaly unharmed!10-pin Dancing...

John S
15th-November-2002, 01:53 PM
[B]If you let go in time they never damage you! May take out a few fellow dancers, but you can walk away totaly unharmed! :wink: But if you don't let go in time you may be totally un-armed!:what:

Keith
15th-November-2002, 02:40 PM
This is now going back to an old thred,
But this could become a new catagory for the next Competition! Roller Dance :rolleyes:
Keith

Stuart M
15th-November-2002, 02:50 PM
This is not the angle Bill was originally coming from in the thread, but tall/big guys can be a bit of a pain for us dancers around them - especially if they like to dance "big" as well. Most of my dance floor collisions seem to involve taller blokes - or is it just that I notice them more because they're more painful?:tears:

Franck
15th-November-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Weight should make absolutely no difference to dancing. I don't expect to give a 'stronger' lead to a larger lady. Totally agree! Weight and size should make no difference at all.
Most of the problems encountered, come from the men / ladies (of any size / shape) relying too much on their partners for balance / momentum. Nothing to do with size.

Originally posted by DavidB
As for bumping the top of the lady's head, there is a simple fix. Watch the lady as she turns! In addition to this, I would like to add to my point above, where women actually pull down on the man's hand when turning (typically because they are losing their balance or are relying on the man's hand for balance). This is a problem, because during the turn, the hand-hold should be relaxed, and in fact is not needed except for show and of course leading purposes (ie a second turn / slow down etc...).
A lot of men (especially good dancers with a subtle lead / hold) will be caught off guard by this and will end up 'bumping' their partner on the head!
So ladies, practise turning without the man's hand for support... :nice:

Franck.

Gadget
15th-November-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
This is not the angle Bill was originally coming from in the thread, but tall/big guys can be a bit of a pain for us dancers around them - especially if they like to dance "big" as well. Most of my dance floor collisions seem to involve taller blokes - or is it just that I notice them more because they're more painful?:tears:
:sorry I must admit I am, on occasion, guilty of that as well - normally when I think that there is miles of dance floor to play with. We have longer arms and legs than shorter people - more to get in the way of everyone else. :sorry:sad:
In saying this however, I have never been so out of control or unaware on the rare collision that it has been more than a glancing blow or touch - nothing I would consider 'painful'. I did have accidental collisions roughly once a night where there was(/is) a very crowded dance floor and uneven footing (ie O'Donahughs).
{Not any more - nice, spacious hall, good flooring, less crouded, and perhaps I'm a little better at dancing as well :nice:}

I think that it must be worse for followers - they are trusting the lead to spin and catch them in a 'dead' area of dance floor. The majority of accidental bumps have been when I moved into a space that another lead was propelling his partner into. :sorry:sorry:sorry
(:sick: Look, it dosn't happen that often, it's just that those sort of things stick in the mind more - I'm actually quite a considerate dancer :grin:{I hope I am anyway:what: - damn that's my dance card emptied again!})

Stuart M
15th-November-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

:sorry I must admit I am, on occasion, guilty of that as well - normally when I think that there is miles of dance floor to play with. We have longer arms and legs than shorter people - more to get in the way of everyone else. :sorry:sad:
In saying this however, I have never been so out of control or unaware on the rare collision that it has been more than a glancing blow or touch - nothing I would consider 'painful'.
To be fair I do sometimes dance "big" myself :sorry , but I cause less damage cos I'm average height and lightly built. It's sore when someone who belongs more on a rugby pitch stands on your foot though :sick:

Keith
15th-November-2002, 08:02 PM
What's all this about?
We (Tall people) can't be held responsible if a little person dashes between our legs.
Little people are renowned for being faster & therefore a greater nuisance on the dance floor. Often you don't even see them until it's too late!
Is this solely my opinion? :confused:
Keith

Keith
15th-November-2002, 08:05 PM
Actually taking it a stage further, I think there should be a height restriction, as on a fair ground. If you are smaller than the wee painted boy, you can't come in!
:wink:
Keith

Wendy
16th-November-2002, 12:56 PM
Or if you bang your head (cos you've forgotten to bend !!) on a CEROC door then you don't get in either, then !!! And if you weigh more than 8st4 on the CEROC scales you have to go on a CEROC diet before you get get back in ... God the marketing possibiliities are endless...

And then there's regional differences to take into account .. and us oldies are smaller than the nippers .... I know, we could have "over forty and chunky" workshops so the boys could learn how to handle all our bits... music chosen by Curtain/CJ - they know how to keep the wrinklies happy ...and workshops for tall nubiles where boys could learn how to lift their hands higher during spins and how to wipe the "drool" (don't know the word) off without their partner noticing... music by Gus (our very own answer to John Peel !!)...

and most importantly, the hallelujah and comb tests administered by me .:wink: :yum: :yum:

Wx

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
16th-November-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
.. and us oldies are smaller than the nippers .... I know, we could have "over forty and chunky" workshops so the boys could learn how to handle all our bits...

YES WENDY - THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! BUT MAYBE WE COULD COME UP WITH A MORE APPEALING EUPHAMISM THAN 'OVER FORTY AND CHUNKY' THOUGH?

I AGREE THAT TALL LADIES AND GENTS HAVE TO WORK HARDER AT LOOKING GOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR. IT'S JUST THAT THEY HAVE A LARGER SURFACE AREA TO MAKE LOOK STYLISH!

ME- I'M JUST A SMALL FOX SO FIND IT EASY TO NIP AROUND.....

Graham
16th-November-2002, 05:27 PM
Forcing: I do force beginners to do the moves. If they try to turn the wrong way or move in a different direction than I was intending I generally try to correct them. Sometimes I use my free hand to do this, sometimes I make a more compelling/positive movement with my leading hand and sometimes I just move my own body to achieve the correct relative positioning. If they are too "resistive" (pushing back too much) then I will push harder when I lead than with someone with normal springiness. I try not to do anything which I think would be uncomfortable or painful - in fact I find that painful/uncomfortable positions are nearly always a result of me being unable to stop them doing something "wrong" (eg they twist their own arm by turning the wrong way or by not letting go of my hand when they should). I realise this is a controversial word, but I think it's the most accurate - I remember Franck once leading me in a lasso sway, and he really did "force" me into the correct position - not by applying lots of strength, but by applying a small amount of strength in exactly the correct direction to propel me.

My comments on weight were made in this context - a heavy beginner who is also resisting and/or moving the "wrong" way is much harder to stop than a lighter person, and this means that it will not look or feel as good, as I said. I completely agree that once both partners can actually dance, weight makes no difference.

Bill
16th-November-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
I know, we could have "over forty and chunky" workshops so the boys could learn how to handle all our bits... :wink: :yum: :yum:

Wx

emmm.Wendy.:sorry :eek: ............what exactly are you referring to ????:rolleyes:

Are you going to teach us how to handle your bits ?? Are you talking on behalf of all women ?:what: :wink:

Can't wait for next Saturday for the lesson...........:cheers: :innocent:

Wendy
16th-November-2002, 08:10 PM

emmm.Wendy.:sorry :eek: ............what exactly are you referring to ????:rolleyes:

Are you going to teach us how to handle your bits ?? Are you talking on behalf of all women ?:what: :wink:

Can't wait for next Saturday for the lesson...........:cheers: :innocent:

(Ok ...gulp.... here goes ..get the Sure deodeorant on Wend, it'll be hot in here very soon... quick think of something ... what the H*** did I mean .... smile...keep smiling.... oh got it ...)

Just that when you are chunky, your bits are a little chunkier perhaps than a non chunky person's bits that's all. Small and chunky can mean that guys may find it hard to avoid your bits ... so it's more avoidance management than actual handling management if you see what I mean ?? And I know this from dancing as a man in the beginners' class. Yes I suppose I'm talking boobs !!!! Not that mine .... don't go there Wend... don't listen to the voices !!!! ....I was just offering my support ... no wait a minute... no.. no...I wasn't...em... offering my sympathy ... no...no worse... offering my ... to be a source of strength to any fellow sisters who might relate to this issue...

Anyway, you, dear Bill, have never had a problem managing any thing, bits or otherwise, as far as I can tell, so really a class is not necessary for you.. in fact it's not for anyone else either ....

Wx

PS This is why I should hand all my PR over to Max !!!

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
16th-November-2002, 09:54 PM
Forcing: I do force beginners to do the moves. If they try to turn the wrong way or move in a different direction than I was intending I generally try to correct them. Sometimes I use my free hand to do this, sometimes I make a more compelling/positive movement with my leading hand and sometimes I just move my own body to achieve the correct relative positioning. If they are too "resistive" (pushing back too much) then I will push harder when I lead than with someone with normal springiness.

I PITY ALL THE GIRLS WHO ARE LEAD/FORCED BY YOU! THIS IS DANCING, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE R-E-L-A-X !

Gadget
16th-November-2002, 11:51 PM
Forcing: I do force beginners to do the moves. If they try to turn the wrong way or move in a different direction than I was intending I generally try to correct them~snip~ a heavy beginner who is also resisting and/or moving the "wrong" way is much harder to stop than a lighter person
I can relate to that - although I would say "lead strongly" instead of "force", but if they go the wrong way, or turn where you didn't intend them to, then I just let them; trying to 'force' them into a move can only hurt. Normally they can tell that something wasn't quite right and tell me.
I then just concentrate on leading the same move again with as much precision and direction as I can - if the same happens again then I either try and get them to relax more so I can lead it properly, or try and catch them off-guard and put them into the move, then praise them for doing it so well ;)
So in summary, I don't think that physical 'bulk' makes any odds to the way I dance - beginner or not.

The only 'problem' I have found with "larger" women is in a couple of particular moves that involve turning close and standing up right infront of them; had a few shocked looks when I miss-judged distances:sorry:sorry

Ste
17th-November-2002, 03:52 AM
I am a short guy and I do think it would be a lot easier if I was taller to look good when dancing. Tall people look much more elegant whereas I look kind of nippy I guess.

If you watch Patrick Swayzee in Dirty Dancing, you will see what I mean. He can get so much distance with his leg especially when he rotates around the girl using his trailing leg to pull himself around clockwise. I think I saw a ballroom dancer do it as well.

It is easier to get noticed say in a competition and you get so much more leverage when you do drops.When I do drops I have to be careful because having short legs, the girl if she is tall could easily hit her head against the floor! Trust me, it would be a lot easier if I was taller.

I think six foot is the ideal height for a dancer. Beyond that I think you can look gangly because of the head to body length ratio. You would have to be increasingly skilled , the taller you were, I think.

Nevertheless, at the other extreme, I try to do the best with what I have got but it probably will never look really good.

With regard to Elliot he is beautifully proportioned , in terms of head to body ratio, I think. He looks tall although he is not. He looks like someone who is say 5 foot 10 shrunk down ie not a small person with big head.

Where think a shorter person may have an advantage over a taller person is the low centre of gravity. We can find complex footwork easier because we have less to move. Limb Management.

From a general point of view, ie apart from dancing, I think it would be fantastic if I could grow six inches. ( I think there is a product on the market???) I know for sure that height confers social advantages. There was research which purported to show that shorter men were less successful in attractiveness to females ( and career I think?). People definitely treat you with less respect and sometimes blokes will try to move me physically which is a mistake from their point of view (because they might get a serious slap!). I have wished that I had drunk more milk,jumped more etc when I was a kid to be taller. This desire was curtailed somewhat when i was on the Tube recently and a lad ran on to the train. He was so tall his head whacked against the door way and he fell onto his back and his head clunked against the floor like a coconut wrapped in a towel. He started to bleed profusely and was stunned and disorientated.
Maybe height wasn't so fantastic after all!!!

I suppose I could always wear those elevator shoes!!!!

Scouse Mouse

Wendy
17th-November-2002, 11:41 AM
Don't worry Scouse Mouse !!!

Remember, it's not about how you look to other people !!! It's about the lead, the charm, the smile (you still have some of your own teeth I hope !!) and footwork, you say, now that's a pretty rare treasure !! I am sure there are girls out there who would just melt in your arms.... (I'm listening to Steve Wright Sunday Lovesongs....it kind of goes to my head !!! )

And just think how easy the eye contact would be a with girl who was say, about 5'3 :wink:

Wx

Heather
17th-November-2002, 11:41 AM
:D :D I was always told " Good things come in small packages".
So maybe you should be happy with what you have and are.
I know this is difficult, as its probably human nature to want what other people have. Girls with straight hair want curls and spend a fortune on perms, girls with curly/wavy hair want straight hair and spend a fortune on straightening products.
Girls who have small assets want bigger ones, and girls who have them, want to reduce theirs!!!!!:wink: :wink:
Some things we can do something about, ie hair products, plastic surgery etc but in the end things can be taken too far.
Does a huge breast enlargement really change Pamela Anderson, or Jordan's life? At the end of the day, I really don't think they are happier people because they have had their boobs drastically enlarged. They are still the same people inside.
We all wish for things we think might improve our lives, and change about ourselves, but at the end of the day, we should maybe settle for making the best of what we have.
True happiness comes from inside yourself, and if you are happy and contented with yourself then, everyone else will be happy with you just as you are.
Make the most of what you have Ste, I really don't think an extra couple of inches will make a difference!!!:wink: :wink:
(Will it girls ? LOL)

:cheers:
Heather, (In a 'It's Sunday morning , thus endeth the Sermon from Heather mood' ) LOL

:kiss: :kiss:

Gus
17th-November-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Heather
(In a 'It's Sunday morning , thus endeth the Sermon from Heather mood' ) LOL

:kiss: :kiss:

Wow .... this is better than Radio 2. Heather, ever considered a career change?? Ask Franck ... you could start a 'Dear Heather' page for all those lost cyber souls ... I'm sure it would put the Forum viewings even higher!

Graham
17th-November-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Ste
I think six foot is the ideal height for a dancer. Beyond that I think you can look gangly because of the head to body length ratio. You would have to be increasingly skilled , the taller you were, I think.

I think it makes a difference how tall your partner is and what style of dancing you want to do. I am a shade under 6' and my dance "heroes" here are all slightly shorter than I am, so I would say 5'10" was the ideal height for the venues I attend and the style I aspire to.

Originally posted by Heather
Does a huge breast enlargement really change Pamela Anderson, or Jordan's life? At the end of the day, I really don't think they are happier people because they have had their boobs drastically enlarged. They are still the same people inside.Still the same inside apart from the extra silicone, that is :wink:

Graham
17th-November-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Wow .... this is better than Radio 2. Heather, ever considered a career change?? Ask Franck ... you could start a 'Dear Heather' page for all those lost cyber souls ... I'm sure it would put the Forum viewings even higher!
But when you posted this the news was on, so it wasn't saying much!

Wendy
17th-November-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Wow .... this is better than Radio 2

YOU listen to Radio 2 !!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Didn't think there was a high enough proportion of car boot music for you !!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wx

Will
17th-November-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ste
I am a short guy and I do think it would be a lot easier if I was taller to look good when dancing. Tall people look much more elegant whereas I look kind of nippy I guess.

Scouse Mouse

Stevie,

Anyone who hadn't met you would think you were about 4'10" after your last post man! You are probably slightly shorter than average, but 5'7" - 5'8" does not qualify you as a mouse. You are still taller than a majority of the ladies, and you are certainly taller than Elliot. As for short legs??? What are you on man????

Remember that anyone who has got a copy of the 2002 UK Ceroc Championship Finals video is gonna see how short you AREN'T!

You trying to garner sympathy for your dancing is like Tiger Woods asking us to feel sorry for his short-comings in the game of golf.....and in the words of all great American golfing fans... "Stevie Baby - YOU DA MAN!" :wink:

Wendy
17th-November-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Will

...You trying to garner sympathy for your dancing...

Scouse Mouse !!!! You wouldn't fib would you !!!! Have you any idea what us girls do to boys who fib on the forum !!!!

(come on Heather and Sheena and FC and DV and co. - let's give him (and any other potential fibbers out there) a written warning !!!!)

Wx

Tiggerbabe
17th-November-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Will

You are probably slightly shorter than average, but 5'7" - 5'8" does not qualify you as a mouse.

No - it just means you're taller than Sheena and therefore are just the right height for a dance - d'ya wanna????? :D

As for short legs??? What are you on man????

Well, his legs I would hope:na: :na:

By the way Will, does he pay you for all this good press or is he just your mentor?:really:

Graham
17th-November-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Sheena

By the way Will, does he pay you for all this good press or is he just your mentor?:really: Hammersmith regulars, please help us out here - are we sure Will really exists at all, and isn't just Stevie with a second login? :really:

horsey_dude
20th-November-2002, 06:27 AM
I think the reason that a lot of the good dancers are average height or less is that the movements of a tall man really stand out and any flaws or mistakes are magnified so you have to be that much better.

I'm not tall at 5'8" but most women are shorter than me. I can dance with women much taller no problems. The only time it is a bit unusual is when the woman is a lot taller and very "busty".
This happened at a ball I went to recently and I had to select my moves carefully so that I didn't end up with my face buried in her cleavage.

I have danced with a VERY tall woman who was at least 5 or 6 inches taller than me and when we did returns I had to be in really close and would go up on my toes to give her enough clearance.

I have more problems with super short women because it is not so easy to adjust to their height. I also often find trying to dance with super skinny women a problem because you can't use their body weight to help you through move and you can end up walking through them.

Tiggerbabe
20th-November-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by horsey_dude

I'm not tall at 5'8" but most women are shorter than me.

5ft 6" - It's me, the ideal partner perfect height! :D

The only time it is a bit unusual is when the woman is............... very "busty".

Not me! :tears: but I'll not cause you any problems then :D

I also often find trying to dance with super skinny women a problem because you can't use their body weight to help you through move and you can end up walking through them.

Brilliant - not me again! See I'm your ideal partner weight as well!

When are you coming to Scotland?

Sandy
20th-November-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by horsey_dude

I also often find trying to dance with super skinny women a problem because you can't use their body weight to help you through move and you can end up walking through them.

Brilliant I knew my bodyweight would come in handy, it was just a matter of time! Skinnies eat your hearts out!:devil: Come on up to Aberdeen

:cheers:
Sandy:wink:

Bill
20th-November-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ste

Where think a shorter person may have an advantage over a taller person is the low centre of gravity. We can find complex footwork easier because we have less to move. Limb Management.

Scouse Mouse

Cheers SM.

This was the point I was thinking of at the start of the thread because I remember from somewhere about height and centre of gravity and just wondered if there was a connection.

Of course what I wasn't suggesting was that tall men are not - or can't be good dancers as well but that the men I most admired ( those I've seen) were pretty much average - possibly just below average height.

Anyone on the thread been to dance school - or trained as a dancer ?? Are trained dancers pretty average height as well. ?

horsey_dude
21st-November-2002, 11:55 AM
Brilliant - not me again! See I'm your ideal partner weight as well!

When are you coming to Scotland?

I finish work at the end of Feb and will be touring NZ and Aussie for 1 to 2 months... I might stay through march to go to the champs in christchurch. I havn't even booked tickets yet but you can expect me around May probably unless I stop off in america....

Its hard because I only have a year to fit so many things in!

p.s. how do I make my posts say "Taxi Dancer" (I am one)... I would like to bask in the glory and adoration! and what would happen if I just showed up with my taxi Dancer shirt on? would I be shown the door? I am not used to all this formality, here the taxi dancers just show up when there is an organised freestyle with our little black taxi shirts............