PDA

View Full Version : Memory aids

Cornish Pixie
31st-January-2005, 11:49 AM
I just got a camera fone and have found a handy way to aid my memory with moves. I video the demo of the moves at the start of each class and watch it back to give myself a refresher!Does anyone else do this?

Chef
31st-January-2005, 12:38 PM
Be careful about videoing the demos. Most of the teachers will refuse permission and if they caught you doing it without their permission it may well provoke an angry response.

They usually have no objection to you videoing yourself (and partner) just after the class either in a quiet part of the venue but it is worth asking. Teachers are usually cool about this if they are assured it is for your own personal use. What you do in your own home is however your own affair so if you chose to capture some video of what you did that evening as soon as you got home it would be a useful aid to memory. Just make sure that you talk through the routine as you go for the benefit of the camera otherwise these videos can be a bit difficult to make sense of a couple of months later.

I have been doing this sort of thing for a number of years. I often find that things I found difficult at the time become possible for me because I have gained the required skills in the meantime. This is the reason that I have found classes teaching technique to be more valuable than classes teaching moves. Technique makes moves possible but moves without technique are horrible.

Happy dancing

Zebra Woman
31st-January-2005, 12:46 PM
Technique makes moves possible but moves without technique are horrible.

Happy dancing

:yeah: :worthy: :worthy: WISE WISE words

(as usual)

ZW :flower:

Cornish Pixie
31st-January-2005, 02:49 PM
Be careful about videoing the demos. Most of the teachers will refuse permission and if they caught you doing it without their permission it may well provoke an angry response.

Technique makes moves possible but moves without technique are horrible.

Happy dancing

I have already asked permission and i only meant to jog memory cos i write them down anyway.