PDA

View Full Version : Costa Dorado-Jiveaddiction 15/05/05

senorita
31st-January-2005, 10:23 AM
who is going??? :-))

under par
31st-January-2005, 10:57 AM
Mrs Par and I cannot go unfortunately, although it looks like a great deal.

{http://jiveaddiction.com/mambo/content/view/41/51/]

details above :yeah:

Northants Girly
31st-January-2005, 12:26 PM
who is going??? :-))Why? Are you lookin for a room mate?

Whats the temperature like there in May?

Lynn
31st-January-2005, 12:38 PM
who is going??? :-)) Me! Me! :clap:
Perfect timing workwise, good value and I've been impressed with the Jive Addiction events I've been at so far.

Northants Girly
31st-January-2005, 12:49 PM
Temperature: here (http://wmcs.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Spain/Climate/) :waycool:

Resort review: here (http://www.holiday-truth.com/resort_review_details.php?resort=La%20Pineda) :)

Hotel review: here (http://www.holiday-truth.com/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/1274/Palas%20Pineda%20Hotel/) :eek: :confused:

Liz
31st-January-2005, 01:19 PM
Me! Me! :clap:
Perfect timing workwise, good value and I've been impressed with the Jive Addiction events I've been at so far.
I'm going Lynn!! I have friends who've been to this hotel and they tell me it's lovely, very clean and friendly. They had a great time... so I'm really looking forward to it. I've looked at the average temperatures and it's usually warm in May, so pack the sun screen!!

TheTramp
31st-January-2005, 01:19 PM
Hotel review: here (http://www.holiday-truth.com/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/1274/Palas%20Pineda%20Hotel/) :eek: :confused:
Wheee....

I had fun reading this.

Seems to be a wide variety of opinions there. Quite amazing that the hotel can be that bad, and that good all at the same time!!

Makes you wonder really just what the people who go on holiday are looking for. One thing that struck me, was that a lot of the people who said that they hated it, gave the staff a rating of 1, and said how unfriendly, and unhelpful they are. And that they couldn't speak English. Well Duh!! I wonder if Spanish people who come on holiday over here go back to Spain and complain that the staff here are unhelpful, and unfriendly, and don't speak Spanish! If those people maybe made a bit more of an effort, then maybe the staff would meet them halfway - in the same way that it appears that other people have. And the same might go for the rest of the points that they are making. Who knows.

The other thing I had to laugh at, was the first review I read. Obviously this person hasn't really worked out how a rating system works. She said that the hotel was impressive, and very clean rooms (cleaned every day), then gave the cleanliness rating a 1 (out of 5). She also said that the food was good, and you'd never go hungry (although there wasn't much British food?) on the menu, and then gave the food a rating of 1. Finally, and funniest, she said that the hotel is in a perfect location - and then gave it a rating of 1 :worthy: :rofl:

Look forward to hearing what the people who go on the holiday have to say when they get back...

Northants Girly
31st-January-2005, 01:38 PM
Wheee....

I had fun reading this.

Seems to be a wide variety of opinions there. Quite amazing that the hotel can be that bad, and that good all at the same time!!I hadn't read it all I'm afraid but you are right!

It is an interesting site to check out though if you are planning on booking hols/hotels anywhere.

Holiday-Truth.com (http://www.holiday-truth.com/)

TheTramp
31st-January-2005, 01:54 PM
Holiday-Truth.com (http://www.holiday-truth.com/)
Cool site. Thanks for that link....

Though, as with the previous example, I think that I'd take what's written with a pinch of salt - unless all the opinions were the same.

I went on holiday with my family about 10 years ago to Majorca. We had a great time, stayed in a perfectly acceptable hotel, and really enjoyed ourselves (as much as you can on a holiday with your (my) family :what: :na: ). Another group of roughly equivalent age to my parents moaned the entire time. In fact, having to listen to their moaning about everything was by far the biggest downside to our holiday.....

Guess it's a little 'live and let live' attitude that helps. But that's what made the reports such interesting reading....

Lynn
31st-January-2005, 02:30 PM
I checked out the hotel on www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk before I booked. If you have ever read reports of places you have been to you know to read between the lines! (I notice that the people who weren't as happy were ones who were All Inclusive - different restaurants etc and we won't be AI on this hol). Anyway John & Wes have checked it out and I'm happy to take their word that its nice!

I'm just back from a week in Fuerteventura and posted comments on the Holidays Uncovered site - I thought where we stayed (based on recomendation from family who had been there in Nov) was lovely and great value for money, but other people haven't liked it. I do get a little annoyed at comments about unfriendly staff as some staff work long hours, sort out lots of problems and rarely get any thanks - I think those people who found the staff unfriendly might have tried asking nicely with a smile, learning a few words in Spanish (the first word I learn when I travel to a new country is 'thank you' :grin: ) - they might have got a different response!

Lynn
31st-January-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm going Lynn!! I have friends who've been to this hotel and they tell me it's lovely, very clean and friendly. They had a great time... so I'm really looking forward to it. I've looked at the average temperatures and it's usually warm in May, so pack the sun screen!! :clap: Sun and dancing - perfect!

Will be nice to meet you at last Liz!

Liz
31st-January-2005, 02:54 PM
:clap: Sun and dancing - perfect!

Will be nice to meet you at last Liz!
It'll be nice to meet you too Lynn. I'll be the one in the Bright pink bikini... probably with a face to match!!

stewart38
3rd-February-2005, 01:27 PM
Wheee....

Makes you wonder really just what the people who go on holiday are looking for. One thing that struck me, was that a lot of the people who said that they hated it, gave the staff a rating of 1, and said how unfriendly, and unhelpful they are. And that they couldn't speak English. Well Duh!! I wonder if Spanish people who come on holiday over here go back to Spain and complain that the staff here are unhelpful, and unfriendly, and don't speak Spanish! If those people maybe made a bit more of an effort, then maybe the staff would meet them halfway - in the same way that it appears that other people have. And the same might go for the rest of the points that they are making. Who knows.

If half my customers were Spanish id think it would be pretty insulting to them if no one who was there to 'look after them' could be bothered to learn or could speak spanish.

TheTramp
3rd-February-2005, 01:59 PM
If half my customers were Spanish id think it would be pretty insulting to them if no one who was there to 'look after them' could be bothered to learn or could speak spanish.
Reading the comments, it appears that the people staying at that hotel are from all over Europe and Russia, not just from England.

Of course, I understand totally that if you were running a hotel, with a lot of (probably part time) seasonal staff, that you would pay, and give them the time, to take lots of intensive language courses. Seems totally reasonable, and almost certainly definitely to your business plan :na: Or were you expecting part time bar staff, waiteresses and chambermaids (etc.) to do that off their own backs, in their own time, and out of their own pockets?? Get real!

I think that you're thinking like lots of other English tourists who expect to find 'little England's' wherever they want to go on holiday. But just with better weather. Do you drink lager too?

johnah
3rd-February-2005, 02:08 PM

Actually, there are people at the Hotel who are multi-lingual and speak English as in most hotels, but the majority of the clientele at the Hotel Palas Pineda are French.

It is an excellent hotel, and our personal experience is that the staff were both friendly and accommodating.

johnah
3rd-February-2005, 02:14 PM
Reading the comments, it appears that the people staying at that hotel are from all over Europe and Russia, not just from England.

Of course, I understand totally that if you were running a hotel, with a lot of (probably part time) seasonal staff, that you would pay, and give them the time, to take lots of intensive language courses. Seems totally reasonable, and almost certainly definitely to your business plan :na: Or were you expecting part time bar staff, waiteresses and chambermaids (etc.) to do that off their own backs, in their own time, and out of their own pockets?? Get real!

I think that you're thinking like lots of other English tourists who expect to find 'little England's' wherever they want to go on holiday. But just with better weather. Do you drink lager too?

:yeah: :rofl:

stewart38
3rd-February-2005, 02:55 PM

Generally its up to the Hotel /individual of course if he wants to keep 'customers' . If i went to Moscow and they were advertising for 'English Tourist' Id expect 'some' of the staff to speak English. I could learn Russian of course but thats not the point. I dont know the hotel at all so Im keeping it as a general comment. I dont drink larger and havent thrown any German towles into the swiiming pool since i was 19 :sad:

TheTramp
3rd-February-2005, 03:03 PM
Generally its up to the Hotel /individual of course if he wants to keep 'customers' . If i went to Moscow and they were advertising for 'English Tourist' Id expect 'some' of the staff to speak English. I could learn Russian of course but thats not the point. I dont know the hotel at all so Im keeping it as a general comment. I dont drink larger and havent thrown any German towles into the swiiming pool since i was 19 :sad:
I'm sure that some of the staff will speak English. The people at reception for example. And probably the manager/asst. manager.

However, that doesn't really help when you're ordering lunch, getting a drink, asking for your bin to be emptied etc - all the usual places that you're likely to want to interact with the staff during the majority of your holiday, and they are the part time, local, seasonal staff, that are I see no reason to expect to speak any other language apart from their own. And they would be the staff that I expect the people who complain about the staff on the website to be writing about.

Of course, without having been there, I can't say why some people found the staff rude and unhelpful, while others have found no problem. I was merely sumising as to a possible reason - in the punters themselves, who have unreasonable expectations, rather than in the staff. I've seen exactly that behavious from English people abroad on holiday myself before now.

stewart38
3rd-February-2005, 03:11 PM
I was merely sumising as to a possible reason - in the punters themselves, who have unreasonable expectations, rather than in the staff. I've seen exactly that behavious from English people abroad on holiday myself before now.

Totally agree :grin:

If you shout louder they may understand (Dave Allen)

Liz
3rd-February-2005, 03:11 PM
We're so fortunate that so many people in different countries can speak English but we're so lazy because we always expect that to be so! I always try to learn a bit of the lingo when visiting foreign countries and last year took a crash course in Spanish for my Dance Holiday. I found most people understood English anyway but were please if you could speak a few words of Spanish (unlike my experience with the French, but that's another story!).

TheTramp
3rd-February-2005, 03:18 PM
(unlike my experience with the French, but that's another story!).
Indeed. Don't mind defending the poor Spanish locals. But I'd never defend the French! :rolleyes: :whistle:

Lynn
3rd-February-2005, 04:33 PM
Of course, without having been there, I can't say why some people found the staff rude and unhelpful, while others have found no problem. I was merely sumising as to a possible reason - in the punters themselves, who have unreasonable expectations, rather than in the staff. I've seen exactly that behavious from English people abroad on holiday myself before now. That's my opinion too when I see mixed reports. Before I went to Fuerteventura in Jan I had read reports calling the apartments 'Alcatraz' and the staff rude and unhelpful. I found the apartments to be nice (fab location) and the staff helpful (eg there was no kettle in our room on arrival, we reported to reception and one was brought in about 10 mins.) But it depends on expections whether you react to that situation with a 'Look, no kettle! Call this self catering? That's ridiculous! :mad: ' attitude or 'A kettle brought to the door in 10 mins, gracias, what helpful staff :grin: '. Now aside from being nice, which attitude leads to a more enjoyable holiday?

stewart38
3rd-February-2005, 06:43 PM
We're so fortunate that so many people in different countries can speak English but we're so lazy because we always expect that to be so! I always try to learn a bit of the lingo when visiting foreign countries and last year took a crash course in Spanish for my Dance Holiday. I found most people understood English anyway but were please if you could speak a few words of Spanish (unlike my experience with the French, but that's another story!).

Exactly you try speaking pigeon french in the north of France particulary around the ports and they ignore you

Me thinks its of thread a bit now, I have a pigeon called Costa Dorado , thats better

Bangers & Mash
6th-February-2005, 11:50 PM
Wheee....

I had fun reading this.

Seems to be a wide variety of opinions there. Quite amazing that the hotel can be that bad, and that good all at the same time!!

The other thing I had to laugh at, was the first review I read. Obviously this person hasn't really worked out how a rating system works. She said that the hotel was impressive, and very clean rooms (cleaned every day), then gave the cleanliness rating a 1 (out of 5). She also said that the food was good, and you'd never go hungry (although there wasn't much British food?) on the menu, and then gave the food a rating of 1. Finally, and funniest, she said that the hotel is in a perfect location - and then gave it a rating of 1 :worthy: :rofl:

Look forward to hearing what the people who go on the holiday have to say when they get back...

John was saying that he knows this hotel and has only good things to say about it. That's good enough for me.

Hoping to go - but also want to go on the cruise. Will know soon.

Lynn
7th-February-2005, 10:09 PM
John was saying that he knows this hotel and has only good things to say about it. That's good enough for me. :yeah: Really looking forward to it! :clap:

johnah
18th-February-2005, 06:30 PM
:waycool: 110 dancers from all over the UK will be with us in La Pineda for our dance holiday on the Spanish Costa Dorado. It's gonna be a great BIG party by the Mediterranean! Absolutely, FUNTASTIC!!!!

If you are still thinking about coming with us, then you need to be quick, cos we've now only 10 places available for mixed couples and men only. :tears: Sorry ladies!:flower:

From the live interest we know about, we expect these final places to be snapped up before the end of next week!

If you're coming to La Pineda, look forward to a great dancing holiday.

Perhaps see some of you at Doncaster Parklands Saturday night. If not, enjoy your dancing where ever you may be.

:cheers:

www.jiveaddiction.com

johnah
11th-April-2005, 01:25 PM
[/SIZE]GIVING YOU THE DANCE HOLIDAY YOU ASKED US FOR

Jive Addiction are delighted to be able to offer you another funtastic deal. A fabulous 7 night Dancing Holiday in a luxury 4-star, air conditioned hotel set within 4000m2 of tropical gardens and, just 100m from the lovely sandy beach.

La Pineda is a rare jewel on the Spanish Costa Dorada, and the Hotel Palas Pineda is luxury within reach. Close to Universal's Port Aventura theme park and the historic city of Tarragona, the hotel's privileged setting offers almost limitless possibilities for dancing and all round holiday enjoyment - including a visit to the exciting, fascinating and vibrant city of Barcelona.

Teachers on this Dance Holiday will be announced soon.

Full details of this fabulous holiday are published on our website.

Facilities at the Hotel include:
En suite bedrooms with balcony or terrace; hair dryer; telephone; satellite TV; air conditioning; mini bar and safety deposit box.

Swimming pools with slide
Waterfall and jacuzzi
Indoor pool and jacuzzi
Tennis courts
Gym and sauna
Unisex hairdresser
3 restaurants
3 bars

ALL THIS FOR ONLY £395*

What's included in the price*

7 nights half-board accommodation
Flights from either Luton or Liverpool**
Transfers in Spain
Exclusive dance facilities
20 hours of dance tuition

Departure date 02 OCTOBER 2005
Book by 31 May and be upgraded to Full Board

NB: * Price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin bedroom. A single person supplement of £12pppn applies.
** Departures from other UK airports available but subject to supplements as applicable.

If you've been on a dancing holiday before, you will know that this is probably the best value dancing holiday to be offered to modern jivers.

How to book your place.

A non-refundable deposit of £100 per person will secure your place on this funtastic dancing holiday, with the balance being paid by 01 August 2005.

For more info please call us on 0115 986 8336 or 0115 962 1675
email john@jiveaddiction.com or visit [url]www.jiveaddiction.com

Lynn
4th-May-2005, 11:45 PM
At last I'm in the final hours of completing my assignments (to be submitted tomorrow morning, might be working late tonight!) and can start to think about going to Spain in a week and a half! :clap:

Any other forumites going?

Bombay Sapphire
7th-May-2005, 02:29 PM
I'll Be there.
Case packed, sun Tan Lotion at the ready.
:clap: :clap:

Lynn
7th-May-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll Be there. :clap:
Case packed, sun Tan Lotion at the ready. :waycool: :really: I haven't thought about what to pack yet, and of course still have to sort out the biggest dilema...which dance shoes to take :what:

So, that's us 2 and Liz going from here (here being the forum) and maybe a few others.

Bombay Sapphire
8th-May-2005, 10:12 PM
:clap: :waycool: :really: the biggest dilema...which dance shoes to take :what:

I will be taking 3 pairs of shoes:

1 Pair of Dance Shoes
1 Pair of Everyday Shoes
1 Pair of Beach Shoes.

How many shoes will a Belfast girl take?
Let me count the ways!!!

Dance shoes 3 Pairs
Day Shoes 2 Pairs
Evening shoes 3 Pairs
Trainers 1 pair
And I must take these Just In Case - 1 Pair

Total 10 Pairs!!!!

Am I close??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lynn
9th-May-2005, 10:50 AM
How many shoes will a Belfast girl take?
Let me count the ways!!!

Dance shoes 3 Pairs
Day Shoes 2 Pairs
Evening shoes 3 Pairs
Trainers 1 pair
And I must take these Just In Case - 1 Pair

Total 10 Pairs!!!!

Am I close??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm not that bad! Its really just dance shoes I get so enthusiastic about.

Probably...
Dance shoes - 3 pairs (trainers, jazz & dressy)
1 pair comfy day shoes
1 pair sandals
1 pair flip flops

Only 6 - half of which are dance shoes (but the jazz shoes are so light to pack they hardly count).

Twinkle Toes
9th-May-2005, 08:13 PM
:
Only 6 - half of which are dance shoes (but the jazz shoes are so light to pack they hardly count).

Hi there, I'm going too :clap:
But I'm only taking 4 pairs of shoes:
1 pair for the beach,
1 pair for walking in,
& 2 pairs for dancing - I'm light on my feet :innocent:

Look forward to seeing you all.

TT xx

Bombay Sapphire
9th-May-2005, 11:54 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Only 6!!! :eek:
Only 6 pairs of shoes required for a 7 day holiday!!! :really:

And Light or not, Jazz shoes do count. :wink:

Remember Belfast Girl, You only have a 22kg allowance :D :D :D

Lynn
10th-May-2005, 12:23 AM
Only 6!!! :eek:
Only 6 pairs of shoes required for a 7 day holiday!!! :really:

And Light or not, Jazz shoes do count. :wink:

Remember Belfast Girl, You only have a 22kg allowance :D :D :D I'm flying from Luton - and on my details it says 15kg allowance :really: :tears: (but maybe you are counting hand luggage? The really important things will be in the hand luggage anyway - sun tan lotion, bikini, dance shoes... :waycool: )

Lynn
13th-May-2005, 01:44 PM
All excited now! :clap:

Heading home soon to start packing!

Lynn
18th-May-2005, 08:17 PM
Greetings from sunny Spain! (We actually had a thunderstorm the other night but its lovely and sunny again now!) :waycool:

Having a fab time. The classes have been great - classes morning and late afternoon, time to chill out in the afternoon, then hours of freestyle each night! Went to Barcelona today to do some sightseeing, just had dinner and heading up to the room to get ready for tonight's dancing. :clap:

And I've heard its cold and wet in Belfast... :wink:

Lynn
23rd-May-2005, 10:18 AM
Wow – what a great holiday! :clap: Wish I was still there…

The hotel was lovely. The staff were pleasant and helpful (one waitress noticed that we always ordered 2 bottles of water for our table at each meal and by the middle of the week when she saw us come in for dinner she would arrive at our table with our water ready for us!). All the classes and freestyles were in the hotel which was great – you could swim/lie by the pool till 20 mins before the afternoon class, pop up to your room for a quick shower and then go to class.

Freestyles every evening – I sometimes have 2-3 months between getting an opportunity to dance, so dancing every night was so great. The male female ratio was spot on, most classes were even or almost even and it was also great in the freestyle. I had so many lovely dances and there was some great music being played.

The weather was perfect – hot and sunny almost every day. There was only one showery afternoon and they put on a fun class and afternoon freestyle, though I took the opportunity to have an afternoon nap and build up reserves for dancing till 2am every night! Managed to do some sight seeing as well, a day trip to Barcelona (which was an organised optional extra so a lot of us went in 2 coach loads) and another day some of us went to Tarragona which was only 20mins away on the bus. Didn’t do any shopping … in fact spent hardly any money at all!

It was a great week, had absolutely everything I would want in a dance holiday, classes, pool, sightseeing, great value, meeting other dancers and lots and lots of dancing! I should feel a bit down to be back to grey skies, rain & work – but Southport is less than 3 weeks away :clap:

Well done to John and Wes for a fabulous holiday! :worthy: :hug: :worthy: