PDA

View Full Version : WHAT, you have to be 18 for ceroc champs?

Cornish Pixie
27th-January-2005, 12:46 PM
After being ecstatic about being invited to travel up with a new member of our club to Ceroc Champs this year (if its still on!) Imagine my upset when i read that you have to be over 18 to enter any categories there. I don't mean to criticize too strongly but if Ceroc wants to attract youngsters to the dance i don't see how this helps? Why is this?If it is purely for legal reasons i can understand, but if not, why? :tears: :tears: :tears:

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 01:14 PM
This rule should be made redundant. It exists from the old days when MJ was considered 'sleezy full stop'.

David Franklin
27th-January-2005, 01:31 PM
This rule should be made redundant. It exists from the old days when MJ was considered 'sleezy full stop'.I could be wrong, but I expect the venue hosting the event would be very unhappy if <18s were admitted. I'm also not sure what the legal liabilities would be if a minor was injured...

Dave

Northants Girly
27th-January-2005, 01:45 PM
Do ballroom dance championships have similar rules?

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 01:51 PM
Do ballroom dance championships have similar rules?

They have kids comps. so there does not appear to be a problem.

In NZ we've had kids compete last year and if anything people loved it!

Regarding venue ownoers not being too excited about kids. Well, it is a competition and not a club night ;)

Northants Girly
27th-January-2005, 01:58 PM
They have kids comps. so there does not appear to be a problem.

In NZ we've had kids compete last year and if anything people loved it!

Regarding venue ownoers not being too excited about kids. Well, it is a competition and not a club night ;)Did the kids compete against the adults?

David Franklin
Regarding venue ownoers not being too excited about kids. Well, it is a competition and not a club night ;)[funny accent]You ain't from round these parts, are you...?[/funny accent] The Ceroc Champs are traditionally held in the Hammersmith Palias; a nightclub, which serves alcohol (and water only grudgingly), and goes on 'til past midnight. It is poorly lit, with only a relatively small dance floor that has seen better days, while the toilets are :eek: ! Discussions about whether this is the best possible venue are frequent but perhaps belong in another thread...

Dave

TheTramp
Regarding venue ownoers not being too excited about kids. Well, it is a competition and not a club night ;)
True. But it's still being held in a nightclub.

I imagine that the venue have rules about having to be 18 for admittence.

However, saying that, I wonder how many under 18's are there in the place on a normal Saturday night? :whistle:

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 02:02 PM
Did the kids compete against the adults?

In Ceroc NZ they did, yes. One couople even made it to semi's. If you look at some Rock'n'Roll comps you will see kids that easily win against adults. So it is not a problem as far as I can see.

Northants Girly
27th-January-2005, 02:04 PM
In Ceroc NZ they did, yes. One couople even made it to semi's. If you look at some Rock'n'Roll comps you will see kids that easily win against adults. So it is not a problem as far as I can see. :really: That depends how old you are :wink:

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 02:14 PM
[funny accent]Discussions about whether this is the best possible venue are frequent but perhaps belong in another thread...

Dave

Now stop hassling me about my accent :P

I agree, it appears very questionable that this is a suitable venue. Obviously we are spoilt at the other side with going into school gyms and proper halls. The times that we went to night clubs are a thing of the past.

You are also right, I haven't been arount this area for too long :whistle:

Banana Man
27th-January-2005, 02:15 PM
Did the kids compete against the adults?

In ballroom dancing kids have their own categories - Juvenille <12 and Junior 12<16. From age 16 there are youth categories 16-19, and Open Amateur for 16 and over.

I think other than alcohol/licensing restrictions and PL issues the biggest concern must be obligations under the 1989 Children's Act which defines a young person as “under 18 (eighteen) years of age”.

There's more here: http://www.eada.org.uk/protection.asp including that EADA (Ballroom dancing competitors org) has a 43 page CP policy and guidelines document.

Guess there's some serious work in doing this properly, and maybe for most MJ promotors this would be too much time, effort and possibly money.

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 02:17 PM
:really: That depends how old you are :wink:

:blush:

Of course it does. But only within reason. I have seen a couple 10/12 yo in R'n'R do stuff most adults could only dream of. ;)

RogerR
29th-January-2005, 05:29 PM
True. But it's still being held in a nightclub.

I imagine that the venue have rules about having to be 18 for admittence.

However, saying that, I wonder how many under 18's are there in the place on a normal Saturday night? :whistle:

Hammersmith Palais has a venue and drinks license to maintain and being licensed there is an age limit of 18 minimum by law. As the old licensing regime evolves this year from Magistrates to Local council control, No venue is likely to chalenge their licence conditions as a new form of licence can be cancelled instantly by the police or council. the old licence was in the give and take of the licensing justices at their next sitting, so instant reaction was not possible.

Dance Demon
29th-January-2005, 06:17 PM
Hammersmith Palais has a venue and drinks license to maintain and being licensed there is an age limit of 18 minimum by law. As the old licensing regime evolves this year from Magistrates to Local council control, No venue is likely to chalenge their licence conditions as a new form of licence can be cancelled instantly by the police or council. the old licence was in the give and take of the licensing justices at their next sitting, so instant reaction was not possible.

Sounds like another good reason to find another venue........ :yeah:

RogerR
30th-January-2005, 02:59 AM
Out of the frying pan ......

ALL venues MUST have a venue licence if they are open for public use, and a drinks licence if they have a bar.

Andreas
30th-January-2005, 11:32 AM

ALL venues MUST have a venue licence if they are open for public use, and a drinks licence if they have a bar.

That is simple. Find a venue without a bar! As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, in NZ we often use gymnasiums of schools for comps.

RogerR
30th-January-2005, 11:59 AM
School gymns dont usually have a venue licence and UK gymns dont let you wear leather soled shoes!! plus I've never seen a gymn with a capacity of 1400.

MartinHarper
30th-January-2005, 12:14 PM
UK gyms dont let you wear leather soled shoes!!

Hmm... I thought leather soles (both types) were non-marking, and it was marking rubber soles that were the problem?

Dance Demon
30th-January-2005, 01:21 PM

Must be some way round it...people have weddings etc in licensed venues, and kids are allowed to attend.....

RogerR
30th-January-2005, 01:34 PM
The particular gymn ban on leather soles was to prevent engrained grit from defacing the smoothness of the floor.

When a venue supplies a formal meal (usu taken as eating seated, using cutlery ) the rules are different

Yliander
30th-January-2005, 02:53 PM
venue requirements aside - there is also the fact that a minor - generally deemed to be someone under 18 - can't sign a legal document

- if comps in UK are anything like the ones here in Aus - when competitors sign the registration form they are signing a legal document allowing the use of any footage from the event to be used by the organiser as they see fit and that if they do something stupid and hurt themselves they can't sue the organisers.

Dance Demon
30th-January-2005, 05:48 PM
venue requirements aside - there is also the fact that a minor - generally deemed to be someone under 18 - can't sign a legal document

They can in Scotland...........they can even get married at 16 without parental consent :eek:

Bill
31st-January-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been competitors in a couple of competitions over the last few years who were under 18 but were still allowed to take part. Maybe because the partner(s) were well over 18???

Cornish Pixie
31st-January-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been competitors in a couple of competitions over the last few years who were under 18 but were still allowed to take part. Maybe because the partner(s) were well over 18???

That would be great, my prospective partner is 24! :clap:

Easter Bunny
2nd-February-2005, 02:51 PM
Can anyone tell me how old do you have to be to enter Chance 2 Dance Comp in Blackpool ?