PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Clubs?

Gus
27th-January-2005, 11:02 AM
Having FINALLY managed to get PLI cover for my non-Blitz activities I've realised just how hard (and expensive) it is to meet all the requirements to run a safe and legal venture ... then it occurred to me .... how many of the cowboy clubs DO have all the requisite things in place.

Off the top of my head, the following should be compulsory at ALL MJ dance clubs;

Trained teacher
Full Public Liability Insurance
PRS licence
Trained First aider
I know that the big boys have PLI .. but how many have a trained first aider? How safe to you feel teaching at a club that ins't insured? I'm trying to find out of having a first aider and PLI are legal requirements ... anyone want to venture an opinion?

Gadget
27th-January-2005, 11:21 AM
Are these requirements obligatory for one-off dances rather than "clubs"?
Are there not some halls and venues that have their own PLI?

bobgadjet
27th-January-2005, 11:25 AM
Having FINALLY managed to get PLI cover for my non-Blitz activities I've realised just how hard (and expensive) it is to meet all the requirements to run a safe and legal venture ... then it occurred to me .... how many of the cowboy clubs DO have all the requisite things in place.

Off the top of my head, the following should be compulsory at ALL MJ dance clubs;

Trained teacher
Full Public Liability Insurance
PRS licence
Trained First aider
I know that the big boys have PLI .. but how many have a trained first aider? How safe to you feel teaching at a club that ins't insured? I'm trying to find out of having a first aider and PLI are legal requirements ... anyone want to venture an opinion?

A couple of things you may have forgotten SHOULD be part of any organisers "thoughts" before charging the public for entry into a venue.....

Has the VENUE got the required insurance?
Are ALL the fire exits UNLOCKED and kept clear?
Does the VENUE have the required licences, ie: PRS & PPL
Do YOU know where all the fire exits are?
Have you ever informed the public where the fire exits are?
Is all the hardware at the venue safe....Chairs/Tables/ etc
Are there sufficient and up-to-date fire extinguishers IN THEIR RIGHT PLACES?
Is the stage and it's facilities suitable, and safe?
ARE THE ELECTRICS ADEQUATE AND SAFE ! ! !
Are the toilet facilities up to the standard YOU would feel comfortable using?

The number of venues I have been to where ALL the equipmment has to be taken from ONE double socket. Would is sustain the laod of all the PA gear, AND the lighting?

Looking after YOUR public should be more of a concern than making sure the DJ and Teacher arrive on time.

If you are orgnaising an event take a GOOD look around the venue at things like
Decoration - poor condition of decor can often be a telll tale that the venue is run down, and there may not be the legal requirements being kept up.
Cleanliness - Lack of adequate cleaning after the last function could leave YOU liable for an accident should it happen.

It's all very well YOU taking care to make sure YOU are complying with all the rules and regulations that you are aware of, but if the venue isn't, you could be up a very long creek without anything to motivate your sinking vessel (if you catch my drift)

Sounds like you have made a good effort to ensure YOUR end is covered, but did you sign a venue contract? and will the venue hold to their side of the contract if the brown and smelly stuff comes into contact with the fast rotating machine ! ! !

Good luck.

(needless to say "been there, done that, almost fell in it")

Gus
27th-January-2005, 11:32 AM
Are there not some halls and venues that have their own PLI?
As I found out late in the day, most (some?) PLI cover for local authorities EXCLUDES commercial organisations :sick: This isnt an issue for Ceroc/Blitz et al as they seem to have group PLI ... but does your local club have such cover?

Gus
27th-January-2005, 11:39 AM
It's all very well YOU taking care to make sure YOU are complying with all the rules and regulations that you are aware of, but if the venue isn't, you could be up a very long creek without anything to motivate your sinking vessel (if you catch my drift)We are lucky that the local authorirties that run our venues (Northwich, Winsford, Knutsford) are pretty on the ball when it comes to safety and regulations. Having said that, having been to a few other clubs which could be in trouble if ever there was an incident. Its not easy ... there is a real shortage of good venues .... and even less that are affordable ... thats why we've made a policy of paying top dollar for venues in the hope of eventually getting the larger numbers in to make the clubs profitable ..... just hope that strategy works one day! :sick:

Andy McGregor
27th-January-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm trying to find out of having a first aider and PLI are legal requirements ... anyone want to venture an opinion?

One thing I did read some time ago is that there are two insurances that you are legally required to have. Those are 3rd party when driving a car and employers liability.

However, many venues seem to have a clause in their agreement saying that you must have your own PLI to use the hall.

stewart38
27th-January-2005, 12:03 PM
One thing I did read some time ago is that there are two insurances that you are legally required to have. Those are 3rd party when driving a car and employers liability.

However, many venues seem to have a clause in their agreement saying that you must have your own PLI to use the hall.

Thats correct although Councils dont legally need EL, but that would confuse issue

No need legally to take out PL

If the council hasnt picked you up under their Hirers liability then get the cover or talk to them !

djtrev
28th-January-2005, 08:12 PM
If you are a dj and use your own equipment one assumes that you will have it all insured.You would certainly be a fool if you didnt.Usually the insurance will include PLI for at least £1m.

bobgadjet
28th-January-2005, 09:01 PM
If you are a dj and use your own equipment one assumes that you will have it all insured.You would certainly be a fool if you didnt.Usually the insurance will include PLI for at least £1m.
Its not a matter so much about your equipment.
If you do other than respecable dance nights then you will need cover incase of damage.
what is much more important is PLI for your punters.
Most council venues round this area need PLI up to 5 million, altho some will accept up to 2 Million. Unfortunately for us the daqys of 1Mill cover are long gone.
The insurance companies toe the line somewhat and have inccreased my cover to 5 mill at no extra cost due to no claims, but I dare asy the next review may see an increase.

djtrev
28th-January-2005, 09:34 PM
Sorry Bob.What I meant was that with your equipment insurance you automatically get Public Liability Insurance.

Alfie
29th-January-2005, 12:05 PM
If you are a dj and use your own equipment one assumes that you will have it all insured.

One would also assume that it had been "PAT" tested and was coverd by a safety cert.

RogerR
29th-January-2005, 12:27 PM
Sorry Bob.What I meant was that with your equipment insurance you automatically get Public Liability Insurance.

Be Very Very careful going down that route, I looked into it and was told by the insurer " we insure equipment but not leads, so if someone trips over a lead there is NO PLI "

www.britdj.org.uk offers pli in the sub. for the DJ. Dancing teacher PLI may not cover freestyle.

philsmove
30th-January-2005, 09:21 PM
Following a fire at a tango dance hall in Buenos Aires in which 190 died “the authorities “ have taken action to ensure “this never happens again”
ALL dance halls have been closed

In protest the local dances have taken to dancing in the street – in the middle of a nine-lane highway