PDA

View Full Version : How to dance to music you don't like much

MartinHarper
27th-January-2005, 01:04 AM
Chris Docker did an interesting workshop at Boppin' in Bristol, where he touched on how to dance to music you don't like much.

So... how do you dance to music you don't like much? I've found it can become a vicious circle - I don't like a song, so I tend to have uninspiring dances with it, so I like the song even less, and so forth.

What are good ways to break that circle?

Andy McGregor
27th-January-2005, 01:18 AM
So... how do you dance to music you don't like much? I've found it can become a vicious circle - I don't like a song, so I tend to have uninspiring dances with it, so I like the song even less, and so forth.

Listen to the music and pick out individual instruments. Listen to the phrasing of each insturment and decide to 'be' that one when you dance to the, previously uninspiring, track: the next time you dance to that track 'be' a different instrument - or become a DJ :whistle:

Gadget
27th-January-2005, 02:18 AM
:yeah: {agreeing with Andy :what: you'll have to forgive me - I'm ill}

you could also dance with someone that likes it and let them inspire you rather than the song.
If it's a song that you can't pick out an instrument, or you find them all so repetative it's boring, try listening to {/dancing to} the build up of sound within a track - more gets added, it gets louder, your movements get bigger, a reset to smaller movements for a solitary 'voice' then build it up again...
A lot of tracks that are not immediatly "inspiring" can be heard in a different light if listened to differently.

Trousers
27th-January-2005, 10:00 AM
You could always use one of your mantras. . . . . . .

This track is crap . . . . . This track is crap . . . . . .

TheTramp
27th-January-2005, 10:51 AM
Alternately, you could just take the opportunity to go to the loo, get a drink, change your t-shirt, have a sit down etc. And wait for a track that you do like!!

Feelingpink
27th-January-2005, 11:06 AM
:yeah: {agreeing with Andy :what: you'll have to forgive me - I'm ill}

you could also dance with someone that likes it and let them inspire you rather than the song.

If I really disliked a track, it's unlikely that anyone with whom I love dancing would like it themselves. There's not a gun to my head ("You must dance or you will be exterminated immediately"). That said, if a track really is dire, sometimes my partner and I have danced a kind of pastiche, OTT, ironic version, taking the proverbial out of its "thump thumpness" or overdramatics. :devil:

If it's a song that you can't pick out an instrument, or you find them all so repetative it's boring, try listening to {/dancing to} the build up of sound within a track - more gets added, it gets louder, your movements get bigger, a reset to smaller movements for a solitary 'voice' then build it up again...
A lot of tracks that are not immediatly "inspiring" can be heard in a different light if listened to differently.

As a follower, there is only so much control I have over this. I'd like to know more on what was said in the workshop quoted at the start of this thread.

Lou
27th-January-2005, 11:13 AM
As a follower, there is only so much control I have over this. I'd like to know more on what was said in the workshop quoted at the start of this thread.
I brought up the subject originally, but I let it lie for various reasons back in the original thread. ;)

Anyway - the main gist was to use your imagination. Andy's already mentioned about listening & interpretting the different parts of the music, or hearing something different that you might not have noticed. There were also exercises in dancing in different styles - for example as a different animal, as a part in a movie, etc.... It might sound daft, but it helps pass the time until a nicer piece of music.... :D

Lory
27th-January-2005, 11:26 AM
That said, if a track really is dire, sometimes my partner and I have danced a kind of pastiche, OTT, ironic version, taking the proverbial out of its "thump thumpness" or overdramatics. :devil:
:yeah: Oh yesss, a girl after my own heart! :hug:

It's time to be silly. play, try new moves that you wouldn't normally try for fear of ruining a really good track, they might not work but there's no loss here!

It all depends on how well you know your partner too and how much they're willing to 'play' but I remember having such a brilliant time once, when me and a certain person who shall remain nameless, took on different dancers persona's and also copied people in the room, especially people who were really loving that kind of music etc. :wink: :D

Failing that, you can always sit in the corner and sulk! (OK I admit it, I've done that too :blush: )

Aleks
27th-January-2005, 12:23 PM
I brought up the subject originally, but I let it lie for various reasons back in the original thread. ;)

Anyway - the main gist was to use your imagination. Andy's already mentioned about listening & interpretting the different parts of the music, or hearing something different that you might not have noticed. There were also exercises in dancing in different styles - for example as a different animal, as a part in a movie, etc.... It might sound daft, but it helps pass the time until a nicer piece of music.... :D

:devil: Using kinetic imagery? :devil:

Feelingpink
27th-January-2005, 12:25 PM
... I remember having such a brilliant time once, when me and a certain person who shall remain nameless, took on different dancers persona's and also copied people in the room, especially people who were really loving that kind of music etc. :wink: :D

Fabulous idea ... name that tune! ... um, er, I mean, dancer! :devil:

mooncalf
27th-January-2005, 01:12 PM
I remember having such a brilliant time once, when me and a certain person who shall remain nameless, took on different dancers persona's and also copied people in the room.

That's a technique I use frequently, especially when I know the music demands footwork. "so and so would do this" - its not me really being rubbish, I'm being someone else so its ok. Certain songs demand characters - I'm often seen bull fighting at Fulham and if i'm really in the mood I might become the inimitable siu fai of Surbiton fame.

Andreas
27th-January-2005, 01:16 PM

How can I understand that! Same problem here. When I don't like the music I suddenly have to think of what move to do next and it is such a struggle! I have a tendency to make the song a laugh, just messing around, engaging other dancers in jokes etc :D :whistle: