PDA

View Full Version : Is Hammersmith free-style too busy?

Clive Long
25th-January-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry for yet again high-jacking the Ceroc Scotland forum but you know how impolite these suvveners are. :eek:

I have complained on this forum about how busy Hammersmith free-style is - what are other people's views?

I suppose if people were that unhappy they wouldn't go (just sabotaged my argument there !)

Vote and comment as you feel - or not.

Thanks

CRL

under par
25th-January-2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry for yet again high-jacking the Ceroc Scotland forum but you know how impolite these suvveners are. :eek:

I have complained about how busy Hammersmith free-style is - what are other people's views.

Vote and comment as you feel

Thanks

CRL

I have only been to Hammersmith for Saturday Freestyle once and I found it uncomfortably busy. Virtually no room to dance. I will try it again though.

Clive Long
25th-January-2005, 09:31 PM
Clive you mentioned "vote" but there is no poll attached. :whistle:

<< snip >>

There is , there is. Sir! Sir! Mr. Moderator please fix my poll, please.

under par
25th-January-2005, 09:56 PM
There is , there is. Sir! Sir! Mr. Moderator please fix my poll, please.

Sorry I posted before it arrived and then edited my mistake away. Please see above.

:wink:

ChrisA
25th-January-2005, 10:36 PM
I have only been to Hammersmith for Saturday Freestyle once and I found it uncomfortably busy. Virtually no room to dance. I will try it again though.
I've been several times and had a dreadful night every time bar twice. Dangerous dancers, dreadful thump-thump music (except once when Erick was DJ AFAIR), and far too busy.

I invariably wonder why I bothered :tears:

bigdjiver
25th-January-2005, 11:48 PM
No option for "They should put the price up"?

I gave up going long ago. At that time it was too busy, and I did not like the dim & flashing lighting, or the muggles. (I like dancing with muggles, preferably in a relaxing environment, and not to the extent of travelling 50 miles to do so).

Doc Iain
25th-January-2005, 11:57 PM
Personally, I really like the freestyle nights at Hammersmith.

Thinking about this for some time I feel that there are 3 main reasons for this...

1) I find it a great time to meet up with people from other London venues that I don't get to go to these days.... tend to "do" dinner or something beforehand... which leads onto...

2) I/we tend to arrive a bit later, around 10 or so, that way there is plenty of dancing time and the floor, which can be a bit busy on occasions starts to thin out a bit...

3) I find in general there is a good mix of dancing standards. I like the fact that if you want to there are fab dancers (who on the whole are very receptive to dancing with humbles such as myself!) and beginners who are just there to have a good time. With everythingin the middle I personally find it makes for a great night.

I have to say I know other people have widly disparate views about this but I find the hammersmith nights great adn will continue to come to them when I have moved out of london!... 7 days and counting now!

Will
26th-January-2005, 12:44 AM
Personally, I really like the freestyle nights at Hammersmith.

Thinking about this for some time I feel that there are 3 main reasons for this...

1) I find it a great time to meet up with people from other London venues that I don't get to go to these days.... tend to "do" dinner or something beforehand... which leads onto...

2) I/we tend to arrive a bit later, around 10 or so, that way there is plenty of dancing time and the floor, which can be a bit busy on occasions starts to thin out a bit...

I have to say I know other people have widly disparate views about this but I find the hammersmith nights great adn will continue to come to them when I have moved out of london!... 7 days and counting now!

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

TheTramp
26th-January-2005, 01:54 AM
I enjoyed going to my first Hammersmith for many months last weekend. Had a great night. It was a little busy, but I was expecting that, so can't have any complaints on that score.

The only thing I thought that could be improved, is that it finishes at 12:30. Another hour (at least) would be great. I'd be prepared to pay extra for that.

foxylady
26th-January-2005, 10:10 AM

So where were you last saturday then ????

Franck
26th-January-2005, 10:39 AM
I really like Hammersmith, though I agree it is really busy! It seems that the peak time, last Saturday was around 10.00pm, when (especially near the stage), I had to dance very small and defensively, but from 11.00 onwards, I had plenty of space, and had some incredible dances.... Wow!
Thank you to all the wonderful women who asked me to dance over the week-end, you were all a joy to dance with! I'll not list you all, for fear of omitting any, but you know who you are, and I can honestly say I didn't have a bad dance all week-end!
Bring it on Hammersmith!

Sparkles
26th-January-2005, 11:09 AM
Hammersmith is one of those strange venues where I've been, had some good dances but leave feeling like I've been yanked, kicked, shoved, elbowed and generally thrown around all night :sad: .
I often start off the night full of enthusiasm, but about half way through the evening I get fed up and want to go home, usually spend about an hour sitting out, and then really enjoy the last half hour - so maybe the 'trick' to a good Hammersmith night is to turn up later?
I find that I feel like I have to avoid quite a lot of the people that go to Hammersmith - I'm one of those people that will dance with anyone and give them a fair chance, but when I have someone being inappropriate, rude, dangerous or downright unpleasant I'm afraid they're on my 'to avoid' list - and they *all* seem to come out of the woodwork to find me at this particular freestyle night.
As an overall venue I wonder why I still bother to go, but somehow month after month I get suckered in to going back. There's obviously some allure for me. However I think that before I decide to go to the next one I'm going to have to figure out *what* exactly that allure is, because if I can't work it out I don't think I'll bother going again.

Sheepman
26th-January-2005, 11:59 AM
Hammersmith is one of those strange venues where I've been, had some good dances but leave feeling like I've been yanked, kicked, shoved, elbowed and generally thrown around all night. :yeah:
I think I've been 3 times in total, each visit is separated by a gap of about 2 years, I suppose the good news is that means my memory must still be fairly good, if it takes that long for the memories to diminish! :what:
The only thing likely to get me going is if enough friends insist that they're going, and there is no better alternative. I know that if I do go, I'll find plenty of great dancers, and people I've not seen for ages, but I just find it too big, crowded, and impersonal. The sound quality there has improved, but is still not good IMO, the music hasn't been to my taste, and the floor is great in some spots, awful in others. Then there are the stories I hear from ladies about a few of the creepy or rude guys there. :angry:
Of course as I've only been 3 times, you might well say I know nothing. I do know that there are usually plenty of alternatives, even if they do involve a journey of 40 miles, instead of just 4.

Greg

Zebra Woman
26th-January-2005, 12:03 PM
Hammersmith is one of those strange venues where I've been, had some good dances but leave feeling like I've been yanked, kicked, shoved, elbowed and generally thrown around all night :sad: .
I often start off the night full of enthusiasm, but about half way through the evening I get fed up and want to go home, usually spend about an hour sitting out, and then really enjoy the last half hour - so maybe the 'trick' to a good Hammersmith night is to turn up later?.....................

.......As an overall venue I wonder why I still bother to go, but somehow month after month I get suckered in to going back. There's obviously some allure for me. However I think that before I decide to go to the next one I'm going to have to figure out *what* exactly that allure is, because if I can't work it out I don't think I'll bother going again.

That's exactly how I feel too. I don't think it's the most crowded venue, but it it certainly the scariest.

I still can't do up shoes on my left foot from being heavily stepped on at Hammersmith in Dec , no acknowledgement or apology nothing.... :angry:

At Hammersmith I was dancing really close to my partner and still someone danced onto my foot!! :tears: Plus on one very crowded night was offered 2 laybacks and 3 drops by different partners all of which I declined with some body resistance and an 'Are you trying to kill me?' look. My least fave move is where I get to walk round with my hands behind my back and I'm scared that someone will whack me in the chest :really: . But because it isn't a drop I don't get the chance to refuse it. Any tips girls?

On the plus side I have had some really really :drool: dances at Hammersmith (you know who you are) :worthy:

Andreas
26th-January-2005, 01:46 PM
My least fave move is where I get to walk round with my hands behind my back and I'm scared that someone will whack me in the chest :really: . But because it isn't a drop I don't get the chance to refuse it. Any tips girls?

How about backstepping it? That way you get your hands to the front. It scr**s the move for the guy but if you are making it a 'new move' instead of just an escape nobody has reason to complain ;)

Zebra Woman
26th-January-2005, 01:51 PM
How about backstepping it? That way you get your hands to the front. It scr**s the move for the guy but if you are making it a 'new move' instead of just an escape nobody has reason to complain ;)

Nice plan....thanks Andreas. I like a bit of sabotage :devil:

If you came to Ashtons tonight I could practise on you. :innocent:

Andreas
26th-January-2005, 01:59 PM
Nice plan....thanks Andreas. I like a bit of sabotage :devil:

If you came to Ashtons tonight I could practise on you. :innocent:

You better be quick if that is your plan :na: :cheers:

stewart38
26th-January-2005, 02:08 PM
Ive been to Hammersmith about 50 times over 7 years or more ?

Leave it as it is ! Prices have already gone up

Numbers have varied greatly over the years and seasons

Its amazing we dont get a regular event (once a month on a saturday) to compete.

Minnie M
26th-January-2005, 02:10 PM
Its amazing we dont get a regular event (once a month on a saturday) to compete.

It's on TWICE in Feb

Katie
26th-January-2005, 02:15 PM
Hammersmith was exceptionally busy last saturday, although I was knocked into a few times, it was well worth going as I had plenty of good dances!

Most of the dancers (and bystanders) congregated by the stage which became frustrating, so I ventured to the back of the room where there was plenty of space (although the sound quality wasn't as great) and I had fab dances with Simon R and Marc!

Kate

Lory
26th-January-2005, 02:29 PM
My least fave move is where I get to walk round with my hands behind my back and I'm scared that someone will whack me in the chest :really: . But because it isn't a drop I don't get the chance to refuse it.

Any tips girls?

Buy a Madonna style bra??? :wink: :D

Zebra Woman
26th-January-2005, 02:44 PM

:rofl:

That is a TOP TIP Lory :clap: ........but there is a slight flaw......

What happens during the close bluesy moves? :devil:

ZW :flower:

TheTramp
26th-January-2005, 02:47 PM
What happens during the close bluesy moves? :devil:
Retractable cups??

Rhythm King
26th-January-2005, 02:57 PM

Hmm, you could be starting a whole new vogue in dancing fashion :waycool:

David Franklin
26th-January-2005, 03:09 PM
Hmm, you could be starting a whole new vogue in dancing fashion :waycool:Well, it's not crazy for you to get into the groove if you want to express yourself...

Dave

Zebra Woman
26th-January-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, it's not crazy for you to get into the groove if you want to express yourself...

Dave

True enough but you wouldn't want any hanky panky...even if it was with a beautiful stranger....

David Franklin
26th-January-2005, 03:26 PM
True enough but you wouldn't want any hanky panky...even if it was with a beautiful stranger....But I might want them to rescue me, it would open my heart and justify my love; I would cherish our holiday to la isla bonita...

Dave

Zebra Woman
26th-January-2005, 04:13 PM
But I might want them to rescue me, it would open my heart and justify my love; I would cherish our holiday to la isla bonita...

Dave
You'll see, she's a material girl from Hollywood. She wants to dress you up like a virgin and give you frozen American pie. Nobody's perfect......

TheTramp
26th-January-2005, 04:20 PM
Ah. And you see. Nothing Fails. Except maybe your minds!! :whistle:

Rhythm King
26th-January-2005, 04:23 PM
You'll see, she's a material girl from Hollywood. She wants to dress you up like a virgin and give you frozen American pie. Nobody's perfect......

I knew sooner or later I'd get you all back in business with the puns it's given me a little ray of light. Don't stop, if you have something to remember :clap:

Bill
26th-January-2005, 04:27 PM
Would like to get to Hammersmith again at some point - which weekends are they in March and April ????

My recollection of the two visits I've made are the same as the others here - some fabulous dances mixed with dangerous dancers - and some obvious 'top' dancers stuck by the stage who only seemed to dance with each other! :mad:

Maybe get down at easter time!?

Rhythm King
26th-January-2005, 04:36 PM
Would like to get to Hammersmith again at some point - which weekends are they in March and April ????

My recollection of the two visits I've made are the same as the others here - some fabulous dances mixed with dangerous dancers - and some obvious 'top' dancers stuck by the stage who only seemed to dance with each other! :mad:

Maybe get down at easter time!?

Hi Bill

The next ones are on 5 and 26 Feb, 12 and 26 Mar and 9 and 23 April. Don't forget stout boots, or gaiters to protect your ankles! And make sure to let everyone if you're coming. I know the London girls would be severely upset if they missed you, although Cadburys profits might soar, with the increased sale of chocolate buttons :whistle:

Lory
26th-January-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Bill

The next ones are on 5 and 26 Feb, Erm, he can't go on the 5th of Feb :devil: cos some of us are going ALLLL the way up to Scotland for the smooth taste of chocolate! :wink: ;)

Stuart
28th-January-2005, 12:31 AM
Its some months since I've been and I have found it crowded at times. However I've usually managed to find some space especially down the end nearest the bar.

tiger
6th-February-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, was it too busy last night?

foxylady
6th-February-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, was it too busy last night?

No it wasn't. It was just about right I thought. Whether the organisers thought so is another matter....
there were some lovely men there last night too :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-February-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure why this thread has decided to pick on poor ol'Hammersmith. Hipsters on Friday was extremely crowded, I got bumped there much more than even the worst Hammersmith nights, and the bumping seemed to come with a lot more 'attitude' than I would have expected.

The worst thing about Hammersmith is that wretched canyon in the floor about 12 feet from the stage from one side of the room to the other. Anyone who's had the misfortune to fall down it will know what I mean.