PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 29th January

Minnie M
24th-January-2005, 02:09 PM
Hopefully most sarvern forumites will be at Ashton's for the T-dance on Sunday - but where is everyone (darn sarf) going on Saturday - I am going to the wonderful Rivoli Ballroom - my favourite dance hall (the only one I know of that has a ladies bourdoir) and the floor is amazing - it's where they hold most of the best ballroom dances (including many TV shows)

Tsunami Fund Raiser Jive Party at The Rivoli, Jan 29th 2005.
Rivoli Ballroom, 350 Brockley Road, South East London SE4 2BY (The Rivoli is actually right opposite Crofton Park station)

All proceeds from this extra night on the Jive Party calendar will go straight to the Disasters Emergency Committee to help victims of the Tsunami.

THE BIG EASY will be playing their special brand of piano boogie-led jive and swing on stage (for no fee) and there's a Modern Jive dance class plus another 4 hours’ dancing. We ask for a £10 donation payable on the door.

Doors open 8pm, dancing to 1am. Beginners’ Modern Jive dance class 8.20 – 9pm.

Lou
24th-January-2005, 04:10 PM
but where is everyone (darn sarf) going on Saturday

Dearest Minnie - we in the Sarf West will hopefully be at St Bon's in Bristol, where Sherif is holding a freestyle in aid of the Tsunami appeal. There's even a fun* DWAS comp.... Hope you Eastern folks have a good night, too! :hug:

*but I guess that all depends on whether you think DWAS is fun, I suppose..... ;)

Chef
24th-January-2005, 04:25 PM
My partner and I (I have to talk like that because my partner is very posh) will be going to Great Bookham to the Jag Jive Freestyle which is a charity freestyle that is held EVERY month.

Places must be reserved in advance as they are limited to ensure everyone has enough space to dance. It has rooms for modern and swing/blues so you can move between rooms as the mood takes you.

BTW. I have no connection with this event other than I like going to it.

Happy Dancing.

Clive Long
24th-January-2005, 04:45 PM
Hopefully most sarvern forumites will be at Ashton's for the T-dance on Sunday - but where is everyone (darn sarf) going on Saturday - I am going to the wonderful Rivoli Ballroom - my favourite dance hall (the only one I know of that has a ladies bourdoir) and the floor is amazing - it's where they hold most of the best ballroom dances (including many TV shows)

Minnie

You don't do the Rivoli justice.
For those who haven't been there.
Low curved ceiling.
Staircase (3 steps) down to the dance floor
Chandeliers and massive red paper lanterns from the ceiling.
Petite chandeliers on the wall.
A stage curtain of lametta that Bruce Forsythe would be proud to walk through, again draped with small red chinese lanterns.
Side bar area where one can talk and try out one's cheesey chat-up lines.

Everyone must go at least once to Rivoli, Crofton Park. Redefines style.

Uniformly good atmosphere and dancing to the wee small hours.

Clive

Minnie M
24th-January-2005, 05:05 PM
Low curved ceiling.
A stage curtain of lametta that Bruce Forsythe would be proud to walk through, again draped with small red chinese lanterns.

Clive

:yeah: Everyone must go at least once to Rivoli, :worthy:

BTW Jag Jive is good too :clap:

But ........Everyone must go at least once to Rivoli - and what better time when it is for a good cause :flower:

Chef
24th-January-2005, 05:08 PM
Minnie

Low curved ceiling.

Clive

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Don't forget the cheesy seaside style post cards that on the walls of the gents toilet (ladies will just have to trust me). They are really great. The whole place is an absolutely wonderful untouched 1940s dance hall that has a preservation order. Great venue and great atmosphere. I just wish some lottery money could be put into keeping such a wonderful building up to snuff.

Rivoli and Bookham only clash on this occasion because Rivoli is doing this special fundraiser. The two events on on the same day caused much debate in our household. But if you haven't been to the Rivoli before you have really missed out on this wonderful gem of a place.

Happy dancing

Mary
24th-January-2005, 05:58 PM
Great Bookham is a great venue and have always enjoyed myself there, and John Miller is always running freestyles for charity. :cheers:

Have only been to the Rivoli in my work life. It is a great place and lives up to the descriptions. I can imagine it is a fantastic MJ venue. If any of you saw the last episode of "Blackpool" (with Will & Kate) you may recognise the Rivoli in it.

For us on 29th I think it will have to be Windsor. Good floor, not too crowded, and local to us. Who else will we see there? :flower:

M

bobgadjet
25th-January-2005, 12:36 AM
Minnie

Clive
I think you will find, if you check out with the owner, that what you think are large red paper lanterns were once heaters.
They would be turned on to keep the "ladies" shoulders warm when they wore those off-the-shoulder very glam dresses.

The whole place takes you back 100 years, and the atmosphere is one to be savoured at least once, but for most, many times.

Just wish we could be there Minnie, but alas, other duties call.

Minnie M
30th-January-2005, 04:25 AM
Just got in .............

Fantastic night great company and lots of lovely dances AND THEY RAISED OVER £2,000 :worthy:

Minnie M
31st-January-2005, 12:07 AM
From the Jive Party boys:-

TSUNAMI RELIEF

THANK YOU to everyone who came along to support our extra night on Sat Jan 29th with music by The Big Easy!

We're delighted to announce we raised a total of £2024.85 on the night which will be going off to the Disasters Emergency Committee Tsunami Relief Fund in a day or so.

An extra big thank you to John Stapleton and The Big Easy for donating their services and making it such a good night. Also to Bill and Jeannie of the Rivoli Ballroom, for giving us the extra night at a vastly reduced rate and for working so hard to actually open the venue after part of the ceiling had collapsed a couple of days prior to the event. Thanks also to those who 'gift aided' their donation making it worth even more than the above sum.

Thanks again

Graham and Ken
Jive Party
www.jiveparty.com