PDA

View Full Version : Two quickies

Paul
21st-January-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi all, Paul here, been to about 6 classes so far and loving it :nice: . Tried a move before Christmas called (I think) 'basket variation' which was followed by a yoyo. Have since done straightforward 'basket' which seems to start with both hands and end with LH. Can't for the life of me remember the 'basket variation' or how it can leave me ready for a RH move. Any ideas?

Also, tried the intermediate class for first time this week, felt like a complete beginner again :blush: , but enjoyed one move in particular was like 'first move' but inolved three spins plus travelling in one direction and three back again, would love to know its proper name ... have currently nicknamed it 'first move three turns' ... hope my future dance routines are more creative :wink: Paul

Clive Long
21st-January-2005, 11:03 AM
<< cut >>

Also, tried the intermediate class for first time this week, felt like a complete beginner again :blush: , but enjoyed one move in particular was like 'first move' but inolved three spins plus travelling in one direction and three back again, would love to know its proper name ... have currently nicknamed it 'first move three turns' ... hope my future dance routines are more creative :wink: Paul

Paul,

1. I feel like a beginner in most intermediate classes - and I've been cerocing/jiving for years and years and years .... It's an age / memory retention thing I say.

2. I don't think there is a "proper" name for the move you describe - but that's not important. AFAIK, there are the basic moves - which is derogatory - I prefer calling them "foundation" moves. As long as you develop a clear lead for the laydeez (see many other threads on lead / follow debate) you can vary / adapt as you like - i.e. you are really dancing.

3. IMO the "names" of moves are useful for the teacher to communicate in a short-hand way what is wanted from the student but I think even foundaiton moves should be "shown" in a lesson.

4. You say you hope your future routines are more creative - sounds like you are well on the way - and only after six? weeks. (envy)

Clive

Dreadful Scathe
21st-January-2005, 11:15 AM
there are the basic moves - which is derogatory - I prefer calling them "foundation" moves.

Argh Political Correctness gone mad. I doubt the moves would be offended by what you call them :) Forthwith, I shall call them 'Ninja Moves' :)

TheTramp
21st-January-2005, 11:18 AM
Argh Political Correctness gone mad. I doubt the moves would be offended by what you call them :) Forthwith, I shall call them 'Ninja Moves' :)
Does this mean that we can call you 'Grasshopper'. Or something :what:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-January-2005, 11:23 AM
Does this mean that we can call you 'Grasshopper'. Or something :what:
You can call me anything you like, although I draw the line at "Sarah Jessica Parker" :)

johnthehappyguy
21st-January-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

I find the names of moves are a great way of remembering them, and they really help me retain what I have picked up during the lessons.

There are other threads which you might want to search for about what others think about using names for moves.

I am not sure where you are based. AFAIK all venues in Scotland have a moves book, which is filled in towards the end of the night listing the names of the moves which were taught that evening.

So next time you go, you can ask to have a look at the the moves book.

Alternatively, ask the teacher ! , after the class, or at your next class.

Every teacher I have spoken to about moves done on a previous lesson has been very responseful and helpful.

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Clive Long
21st-January-2005, 11:39 AM
there are the basic moves - which is derogatory - I prefer calling them "foundation" moves.

To explain my thinking grass-hopper.
Basic suggests to me that the dancer is inept and boring.
A well-executed Ninja move is more satisfying to both dancers than some clumsily executed "advanced" move.
And "I" will use the term foundation because the "flashier" moves are built on them.

So there.

:hug:

MartinHarper
21st-January-2005, 11:43 AM
Can't for the life of me remember the 'basket variation' or how it can leave me ready for a RH move. Any ideas?

Lots of things it could be. It might be one of my favourites, which is described in detail here:
Basket Fling (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/basket_fling_full.html)
(catching right to right at the end)

TheTramp
21st-January-2005, 12:04 PM
You can call me anything you like, although I draw the line at "Sarah Jessica Parker" :)
And just what's wrong with that then??? I think it's a lovely name! :na:

Paul
21st-January-2005, 12:13 PM
Lots of things it could be. It might be one of my favourites, which is described in detail here:
Basket Fling (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/basket_fling_full.html)
(catching right to right at the end)

Thanks for the website, it's great ... though try as i may i find understanding written/illustrated descriptions of dance moves like trying to read (or spell!) hieraglyphics. :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-January-2005, 12:16 PM

Hmm but its the move that's Basic not the dancer. Saying that though, I did use to program in Basic when I had a ZX Specturm and all my programs were rubbish, so you may have something there :)

Lou
21st-January-2005, 01:02 PM
Saying that though, I did use to program in Basic when I had a ZX Specturm and all my programs were rubbish, so you may have something there :)
And now that you use another programing language.....? :whistle:

bigdjiver
21st-January-2005, 01:57 PM
Also, tried the intermediate class for first time this week, felt like a complete beginner again :blush: , but enjoyed one move in particular was like 'first move' but inolved three spins plus travelling in one direction and three back again, would love to know its proper name ... have currently nicknamed it 'first move three turns' ... hope my future dance routines are more creative :wink: PaulMost ladies really like that move. I use it when there is room. When Michaella taught it,she said that she would have to look up the right name. For the lesson she called it "First move, twirly, whirly". It does not work well if the lady has no "spare arm".

Zebra Woman
21st-January-2005, 02:10 PM
Most ladies really like that move. I use it when there is room. When Michaella taught it,she said that she would have to look up the right name. For the lesson she called it "First move, twirly, whirly".

Yes I like that move a lot , especially if it is immediately repeated, as the travelling on the spins is usually further the second tiime. :clap:

It does not work well if the lady has no "spare arm".
:rofl:

Neither of my arms are spare, I need them both..... :devil:

Paul
21st-January-2005, 02:16 PM
Most ladies really like that move. I use it when there is room. When Michaella taught it,she said that she would have to look up the right name. For the lesson she called it "First move, twirly, whirly". It does not work well if the lady has no "spare arm".

Great name ... if a little girlie ... but I like it :D ... mind you, I've only seen two armed ladies so far :whistle:

Gadget
21st-January-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Paul, Welcome :waycool:

Tried a move before Christmas called (I think) 'basket variation' which was followed by a yoyo. Have since done straightforward 'basket' which seems to start with both hands and end with LH. Can't for the life of me remember the 'basket variation' or how it can leave me ready for a RH move. Any ideas?
The 'Basket' is a two-handed move, R-L L-R with the lady, and you want to exit it into a one-handed R-R hold; yes?

There are only really two ways to do it: swap hands, or send the lady into a 'free spin' to catch with the right.

Moves to do this from a basket:

- From the side-wrapped position, release the left (ladie's right) on the second 'twist' (before the 'nudge and raise to turn out'). On the turning out, swap hands above the lady's head so that you have a R-R hold on the 'lower and stepback' {Basket:hand transfer exit}

- From the wrapped position, instead of just nudging left to exit, keep the hands low and nudge her infront of you, extending the right arm and pulling in on the left to rotate her. Release both hands and rotate your right (thumb down) so it's on her hip. Pull this towards you to lead her into a free-spin. {Gently! the lady does not have the buffer of her arm to even out or absorb zeal - very easy to off-ballance her; just guide and let her spin} Catch right from the spin {Basket:free-spin exit}

- Instead of nudging to un-wrap the lady, pull her straight back (use R hand) while you step forward, rotating to face while releasing the hands, tracing the right hand round her back to collect her right and step back offering the left (Sounds complex, but it's basically a bit out of an octopus). On the pull-in for the yo-yo, release the left again. {The reason for collecting it was to line you and your partner up again} {basket:octopus exit}

- Complete the Basket and release your left hand (ladie's right) at the mid point of the turn out from the it while continuing the momentum of it by taking the lady's left hand out to the right (both probably rotate slightly). Now take the hand horizontally towards the right and flick forward to release the lady into a free-spin. Catch right. {basket:flick-spin exit}

- In the 'basket' position, draw the lady to your left hand side while stepping right and release your right hand (her left). Release your left while placing your right on her right shoulder and rotating 180ยบ. gently push away and slide down while stepping back to a R-R hold.{basket:crossover exit}

- As you un-wrap the lady from the basket, keep your right shoulder in contact while stepping forward and turning with her (you turn anti-clockwise) When you are back to back, your right hand should be low. As you continue to step forward, the right hand releases and the lady's left slides over your left hip. As you finally rotate to face (you should have swapped places), on the 'lower and step back', simply swap hands. {basket:barrel exit}

All the names above I made up just now; they are probably written down in someone's book by another name. Names are only a convenient way to discuss and communicate - a common reference that most people can recognise; you only need them when you are trying to verbally discuss the move. I call half the moves "Spinney, sway, slide thingie with twiddly bit" and the other half "one of those". Nicknames do just as well (or even better) for memory aids.

The actual moves above I'm not even sure I have seen or been taught - the moves seen on stage contain all the bricks to build new ones; experiance and imagination are all that's needed to put them together in a new order. :waycool: And from your interest, I don't think that it will take that long:D:clap:

Gadget
21st-January-2005, 02:38 PM
... mind you, I've only seen two armed ladies so far :whistle::what: sheesh, what sort of bouncers do you have at your venue?!

Graham
21st-January-2005, 02:54 PM
To explain my thinking grass-hopper.
A well-executed Ninja move is more satisfying to both dancers than some clumsily executed "advanced" move.
And "I" will use the term foundation because the "flashier" moves are built on them.
All attempts at political correctness are doomed to eventual failure, because the new term becomes associated with whatever the negative image is which it's designed to avoid. In this case, the term "foundation" is really no better (and for me it's worse) than "basic" because of it's secondary education usage (eg Scottish Standard Grade had papers at Foundation level, General level or Credit level, but those in the Foundation level class might be best looking for less academically-oriented careers, if you catch my drift).

Andy McGregor
21st-January-2005, 07:27 PM

For the Ninjutsu there are no "advanced" moves. There are just moves. To do a move in the right place and to do it well is what makes it advanced.

You will know when you are ready to leave this place and go out to do moves in an advanced way. Until then remember, wax on, wax off.