PDA

View Full Version : Snow?

Lynn
18th-January-2005, 11:17 AM
Anyone else had a problem with snow this morning? We had a lot in NI overnight (heavyiest for 2 years). Lovely powdery snow, really pretty on trees - but has brought traffic to a standstill. After 1 hour of trying to get to a course I have given up and come home for a while at least. I noticed when I turned to go back it took me 45 seconds to drive a stretch of road that had taken me 45 mins inching along heading towards Belfast!

Anyone else got nightmare travel journeys?

Hope its better tomorrow, have to travel over the hills (roads closed today) to get to the airport to go to the Canaries! :waycool:

Petal
18th-January-2005, 11:37 AM
We had about 3 inches of snow overnight, and perth is like one big ice rink, cars and vans abandoned on roads because you can't get up or down the hilly roads and a five mile tailback south of perth on a hill call "Cairnie Brae" because it's so slidey. Made it the 24 miles to work eventually, the first mile took me 30 minutes and the same time for the remaining 23 miles. :nice:
But it does look pretty in the garden.

Mary
18th-January-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm looking out at blue skies and glorious sunshine! :waycool:

M

azande
18th-January-2005, 12:01 PM
M8 from Edinburgh to Glasgow was a nightmare this morning. It took me an hour and a quarter for a journey I usually do in 25 minutes! Fortunately it stopped snowing here at the moment.

Monika
18th-January-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi Lynn
...doesn't sound like a good journey to work and really hope you make it to the airport tomorrow. Enjoy the sunshine when you get there!
Woke up to icy roads and a thin blanket of snow in Dundee - work in dyce outside Aberdeen - nearly 80 miles journey and didn't fancy driving all the way so drove to the nearest trainstation and got onboard the train only for the train to break down at the station! Engine stopped, no lights and just standstill.. Team of 4-5 engineers eventually came to repair and 35 minutes later we were on our way again, but with no heating. Arrived OK in Aberdeen, but connection train to Dyce massively delayed by this time so eventually managed to get a taxi the last 6-7 miles to work. Journey that normally takes between 1.5 to 2 hrs took me 3 hrs and 10 minutes. Not too bad and finally warmed up and snow just started here too.
Be careful out there guys
Mon x

Lynn
18th-January-2005, 12:08 PM
It took me an hour and a quarter for a journey I usually do in 25 minutes! . What made me give up was that it took an hour for part of my journey that normally takes 2 mins! Might give it another go now and see if the roads are any clearer.

Lynn
18th-January-2005, 12:26 PM
Might give it another go now and see if the roads are any clearer. Just rang and spoke to course tutor at coffee break - hardly anyone there, said they will finish early and no need to go in! :grin:

Mary
18th-January-2005, 12:36 PM
Just rang and spoke to course tutor at coffee break - hardly anyone there, said they will finish early and no need to go in! :grin:

Sounds like a bit of a result in the end. :wink:

Hope you don't have any problems getting to the airport for your hols. though. And apologies to everyone who has had a bitch of a journey for my earlier smug comment. :blush:

M

Lynn
18th-January-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a bit of a result in the end. :wink: Yes, actually worked out well, a nice relaxing day to pack at leisure.

And apologies to everyone who has had a bitch of a journey for my earlier smug comment. :blush: I was going to be really annoying and comment on how tomorrow I will hopefully be on the beach, but thought I wouldn't rub it in :wink:

philsmove
18th-January-2005, 05:11 PM
I going on the Ski/ Leroc trip next week so lots of snow please