PDA

View Full Version : Working with the homeless

MartinHarper
18th-January-2005, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine spent some time working with the homeless this Christmas. I read that the Queen took some time to visit them (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/586552.stm) in the new year.

Who on this forum did likewise?

johnthehappyguy
18th-January-2005, 12:16 PM
I found myself with no commitments on Christmas day a year ago, and wanted to do something useful.

Wanting to do something worthwhile, I attempted to volunteer in Edinburgh, So a few days before the break, I approached and telephoned 6 or so different charities and organisations, offering any sort of help or transport on Christmas day.

However none of the 6 accepted my offer.

I guess that I should have given them more warning.

Since then I have done some charity work with Talking Newspapers for the Blind, and have found it very rewarding.

johnthehappyguy :)

under par
18th-January-2005, 07:37 PM
I spent some of my Christmas day with the homeless.

Unfortunately I was at work and they were in the cells at the police station.

They were warm, fed and looked after.

Not the same as going to a shelter though.

Zuhal
19th-January-2005, 10:56 AM
A friend of mine spent some time working with the homeless this Christmas. I read that the Queen took some time to visit them (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/586552.stm) in the new year.

CRISIS Here (http://www.crisis.org.uk) are the main Homlessness charity in London. Their headline event every year is to set up a shelter. This year they were lent the Dome which was very good for the profile but a difficult space to work with. (Hard to make cosy)

I worked for 4 days, but for example, Christmas Eve saw 720 Guests being looked after by about 200 volunteers. This is not just soup but a serious committment to helping people re-establish their lifes;advice, medical attention, new clothes, interaction, food and leisure facilities.

The Guests have enormous dignity and relish being talked to by people with no axe to grind.

Scratch a Volunteer and you find a Guest, but thats another story.

Zuhal

Bangers & Mash
21st-January-2005, 07:29 PM
why just do it one day in the year?

There are those who help out all the time and don't make a big deal of it.

Bangers & Mash
23rd-January-2005, 06:56 PM
why just do it one day in the year?

There are those who help out all the time and don't make a big deal of it.

Well, I've had a couple of PMs about this message ... so let me elaborate.

First of all, it is not my intention to belittle anybody's efforts in what they do.

However, I feel and always have that true charity is anonymous. If I do something for charity then I don't wave a flag around saying "hey, look at me, I did something for charity." - because that is not the reason for doing it.

Just recently, countries around the world have been accused to trying to outdo each other in the amount of money being given in the name of the Asian Tsunami Disaster. This is wrong. People and countries alike should do and give what they can and when they can - without making it a competition to look more generous than the next person.

I worked with a guy who had a standing order going out of his account for £500.00 per month to CRISIS. I know people who have bought hospital equipment. I know pensioners who put £1.00 per week in a smarties tube. Every penny helps!!

My concern is that by people sayng things like

can be demeaning for those people who "did less" by virtue of their position.

I applaud Zuhal for his efforts, and like many others find it interesting to read his exploits. I also applaud those that put a few pennies in the collection boxes. But let's not turn this into a competition.

Bangers