PDA

View Full Version : Jivemaster Rules

Jive Brummie
15th-January-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, seeing as we're talking about random / non-random competitions....can i dare mention JiveMasters?

All the pre-lim heats and stuff...totally random. As in who goes when and to what music....

Then at the semi's in London....pre-selected heats? Each heat containing a 'superstar' couple and two other couples :sick: . Fair?

Prefer the football draw method myself. You know the one that can potentially match Arsenal against Man U, rather than ensuring the big boys play the little fish. Makes it more exciting, and gives us...erm, I mean...the underdog, a bit of a chance.

"Power to the people".....Woolfie Smith, some years ago!

Comment?

James.

p.s. yeah ok, I'll admit to a wee bit of sour grapeage :blush:

Gary
15th-January-2005, 07:49 AM
Well, seeing as we're talking about random / non-random competitions....can i dare mention JiveMasters?

All the pre-lim heats and stuff...totally random. As in who goes when and to what music....

Then at the semi's in London....pre-selected heats? Each heat containing a 'superstar' couple and two other couples :sick: . Fair?

Prefer the football draw method myself. You know the one that can potentially match Arsenal against Man U, rather than ensuring the big boys play the little fish. Makes it more exciting, and gives us...erm, I mean...the underdog, a bit of a chance.
I thought we were talking about DWAS rules.

Oh well, I'm sure a moderator can split this off somewhere.

Anyway, what you propose makes for more exciting semifinals, but possibly for a less exciting final. It looks like the JiveMasters folks do what lots of other comps do, and seed competitors, and try to make sure that the top-seeded competitors don't meet until the finals. It seems like a good idea to me (except that it's a lot more problematic for a jive competition to accurately calculate seedings).

Tiggerbabe
15th-January-2005, 11:41 AM
When there are more than TWO couples on the dance floor, it is difficult for the judges to focus on all at the same time. In the case of Jive Masters, although I can understand the organisers decision on the mix of the couples, the very amature judges (i.e. the audience) would naturally focus of the more profile dancers.

I was there at the Jive Masters finals and thought Jive Brummie, Bill and SimonR were superb and possibly the best in their heat. However, that is what Jive Masters is all about as it is (mostly) the untrained eye that judges.
Split the thread, but thought this part of Minnie's post belonged here too
:D