PDA

View Full Version : Hammersmith last Saturday?

val
11th-November-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi, Did anyone go to Hammersmith, London last Saturday? I hear it was rocking! Was it worth the trip as I'd like to go myself. There's one on the 23rd November and another on the 14th December (maybe the Christmas party?) Is anyone else planning a trip down? Are there any other venues in London worth visiting if I were to spend the weekend there? Especially for the mad about Ceroc, youngish, free and single...........!:D

Heather
12th-November-2002, 01:12 AM
:confused: :confused: What do you want to go to London for , when the Mother of all Scottish Ceroc parties is happening in Glasgow on the 23rd November???:confused: :confused:
:cheers:
Heather
:kiss:

Franck
12th-November-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by val
Hi, Did anyone go to Hammersmith, London last Saturday? I hear it was rocking! Was it worth the trip as I'd like to go myself. There's one on the 23rd November and another on the 14th December (maybe the Christmas party?) Hi Val,

Well as Heather says, the 23rd, you'd be better making a trip to Glasgow, as everyone else is as well (including some of the best dancers from Hammersmith et al).

Apart from that, all the teachers (from all over the UK) were in Hammersmith last Saturday, and I have to say that we had a ball... The outfits some of us were wearing are still firmly engrained in my memory and the dancing was fab.
As mentioned in another thread though, it can get very crowded and hot! It was better towards the end of the night though.
The also have a Masterclass at the Beginning of the night with guest teachers. Scot was teaching a class, with Elaine as his demonstrator and everyone really enjoyed it... Though that high kick got all the guys a bit worried :wink:

If you go down to London, there are many good nights to go to, and yes Hammersmith should definitely be on your list.
I'll let someone who knows London better than I do tell you where else is worth going to. :cheers:

Franck.

val
12th-November-2002, 01:22 AM
:kiss: Jeez, forgot! Thanks. Goes without saying, will be there! Does Ceroc always lead to insomnia?! I'm lacking my fix. What about Hammersmith on the 14th Dec? Must be the Xmas party. Anyone game? London? Are you listening? Any ideas for a great weekend?:D

Ste
12th-November-2002, 02:45 AM
I went to Hammersmith on Saturday and I had a really good time.
Some really enjoyable dances.

There is one strange thing about Hammersmith. The front row used to be called Refusal Row. It was populated by a high density really really good dancers, say teacher standard, but many of them seem to have disappeared.

The best part of the evening for me was toward the end when many people came off the floor and there was more space and I danced loads of dances wiith my Bristol partner Debstar and then danced with my Hammersmith partner, Lene. Fantastic fun.

Franck
12th-November-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Ste
I danced loads of dances wiith my Bristol partner Debstar and then danced with my Hammersmith partner, Lene. Fantastic fun. Oh yes, Debbie, it was great to see you, and thanks for the dance, sorry, we didn't manage a second one later in the night... Ste was probably keeping you for himself :wink:

Franck.

Bill
12th-November-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by val
:kiss: Jeez, forgot! Thanks. Goes without saying, will be there! Does Ceroc always lead to insomnia?! I'm lacking my fix. What about Hammersmith on the 14th Dec? Must be the Xmas party. Anyone game? London? Are you listening? Any ideas for a great weekend?:D
I haven't been to Hammersmith for ages but it is quite notorious for the 'elite' - a group that tend to hang about the stage and only dance with each other or dancers they think are really good. Apart from that it can be a good night and I had a lot of very good dances last time I went.

Could be persuaded to go again but obviously not the 23rd !!:D Sure there would be several folk keen to make a visit.

The Casbah on a FRiday night is ok but even busier and hotter than Hammersmith. But if you manage to get down to London at any time there are some good nights - the Jive Bar, Fulham....have a look at the web site or the leaflet at the venue.

DavidB
12th-November-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Though that high kick got all the guys a bit worriedCute move. But dangerous. Now I almost trust the ladies with the forwards kick between the mans legs. :what: But the second part, with the ladies kicking backwards, at waist height or higher, with high heels, and without looking, made the move dangerous. The kick looks good in a routine, and especially team routines. But a point or tap behind is far safer for freestyle.

Years ago Ceroc dancers would complain about Lindy dancers for kicking behind without looking, and that was only at knee height.

David

DavidB
12th-November-2002, 01:14 PM
I've said what I didn't like about Hammersmith (too busy, too many remixes, the kick in the routine). It's only fair to say what I did like.

I enjoyed Scot's class. He didn't just teach a routine - he also included the occasional little tip that makes a lot of difference. And he has a good sense of humour. The floor was far better than the last time I went. The people were a lot more polite. It was so crowded that you expected to get a lot of contact, but whenever it happened people apologised. And it was the first venue I've been to that played the original of '25 Miles'. Shame I was in the bar at the time!!.

Unfortunately it is just too busy for me to want to go regularly.

David

Will
12th-November-2002, 02:15 PM
I was wondering when a thread about last Saturdays Hammersmith would start up.

Unfortunately I was out of London so I couldn't make it. Absolutely gutted about that. Hammersmith is always great, but with 90 teachers there too, it would have been a great night and a great opportunity to meet some of the people who post here on this forum who I'd never otherwise meet.

Hopefully some of you will make it down for the Christmas Party on 14th December.

Will

Karen
12th-November-2002, 07:05 PM
Hello! I can thoroughly give the thumbs up to The Casbah on a Friday night - there seems to be more men than women there Val :wink: but don't let that stop you! Hammersmith is a great night out and I don't remember ever sitting out there (also tooooooo many men, hee-hee). Ashtons on a Saturday night is also very good. If you are able to arrive on a Thursday then the Jive Bar is friendly, ace music, central and Fulham has some fantastic dancers. There's another venue near Baker Street that has been recommended but I have yet to visit (Friday also.) Hammersmith in my opinion is the most packed of all but THE best. Have yet to travel south of the river.........Happy visiting :cheers:

Will
13th-November-2002, 02:07 AM
May I echo what Karen has said and add that rumour has it that there is an amazing demonstrator at the Jive Bar on Thursdays :wink:

I'd also recommend St Marys near Baker Street on a Friday. Cliff & Penny are great, and the dance floor is the 2nd biggest in London (after Hammersmith) and is brand new and sprung.

Bill
13th-November-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Will
May I echo what Karen has said and add that rumour has it that there is an amazing demonstrator at the Jive Bar on Thursdays :wink:

I'd also recommend St Marys near Baker Street on a Friday. Cliff & Penny are great, and the dance floor is the 2nd biggest in London (after Hammersmith) and is brand new and sprung.

I've heard of St MAry's but not sure where it is. Stil think the Casbah is over-rated and far too hot and crowded but I have had some great dances there.

Must get down that way again soon. :D

DavidB
13th-November-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Will
I'd also recommend St Marys near Baker Street on a Friday. Cliff & Penny are great, and the dance floor is the 2nd biggest in London (after Hammersmith) and is brand new and sprung. We went to St Mary's a couple of weeks ago. We were told on the door that the class finished at 9:30, and the freestyle finished at 10:30. So we went to the Casbah instead.

The Casbah is far too hot and crowded. For a venue that has a reputation for good dancing, the overall standard is not all that high. And the music is variable - sometimes excellent, and sometimes dire. But at least there is nearly 2 hours of freestyle.

David