PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc changed the Yoyo?

jiveoholic
12th-January-2005, 06:39 PM
I have been reliably informed that the yoyo has, after many decades, been modified at at least one Ceroc venue. Rather than the man staying facing the same way throughout the move, turning the lady out and turning her back for the elbow to elbow block followed by a turn, he turns her out then turns himself half a turn clockwise to face her (while she stays put) and then turns her form there.

Is this the case at any other venus? Is it inscribed in the great book? Do people think it is better?

TheTramp
12th-January-2005, 06:42 PM
Ummm. I'd say that this happened at all Ceroc venues about 6 months ago.

You've not been going to them recently for the beginners classes, have you!

MartinHarper
12th-January-2005, 06:48 PM
See here:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2425
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3961

Jon L
12th-January-2005, 06:53 PM
maybe they will change the wurlitzer which will allow us both to step out to the side. You can do far more with this move than staying facing your partner

TheTramp
12th-January-2005, 06:56 PM
Well. Actually, they took the wurlitzer out of the list of beginner moves.

And of course, once you actually reach intermediate, you can do the move however you like anyhow..... (of course, you can do the move how you like as a beginner, but then you get those pesky taxi-dancers telling you that you're doing it wrong!!).

jiveoholic
12th-January-2005, 07:41 PM
Ummm. I'd say that this happened at all Ceroc venues about 6 months ago.

You've not been going to them recently for the beginners classes, have you!

Oooooo

I do like to dissassociate myself from the fraternity who are "too good" to go to beginner classes". I nearly always turn up! So there! However I have not been to "Ceroc" classes recently, rather other forms of modern jive, not so unrelated.

jiveoholic
12th-January-2005, 07:42 PM
See here:

Suuuper help -thanks. Richard

drathzel
13th-January-2005, 09:39 AM
I was unaware of any change since i have only been dancing 4 months, however!!!! I have had a few dances where the has dragged me back round in front of him for a yo yo! :hug:

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2005, 10:18 AM
For me there's been no change. I started MJ at LeRoc in Brighton and I think Graham LeClerc has always taught the Yoyo the new Ceroc way.

I must admit I'd always found the old way a bit odd when I'd been to a Ceroc class.

Jive Brummie
13th-January-2005, 12:22 PM
I like the new version....gives us chaps a little more to do.

Gus
13th-January-2005, 02:02 PM
I like the new version....gives us chaps a little more to do.I always thought that the 'new' version was just a variation of the 'old' version. Question, doesnt the 'new' version screw up a fair few of the old variations when you need to have the lady coming in behind you like the Yoyo Catapult and the Yoyo Shoulderdrop?

jiveoholic
13th-January-2005, 02:13 PM
What was great about the old version was that the lady was "wound up", by bringing her back to face, into an almighty compression to fling her into a turn. Indeed I think that nearly all turns have an unequal but opposite preparatory turn that preceeds them in order to prepare this compression.

I'm not sure I like the new version because the lady just stands there and may not offer enough pressure, although it does give her lots of time to think about things she has to do when she gets back that night.....

However, I would have to admit that many intermediate ladies who used to be led the old yoyo failed to provide this compression, grinding to a halt on there own and then scampering about on the spot to do a turn. When it works, however, it is brilliant and my favourite move - albeit a beginner.

Graham
13th-January-2005, 02:34 PM
I always thought that the 'new' version was just a variation of the 'old' version. Question, doesnt the 'new' version screw up a fair few of the old variations when you need to have the lady coming in behind you like the Yoyo Catapult and the Yoyo Shoulderdrop?
I don't think so - the new version changes from the old version on count 4, which is where I think those variations diverge anyway, don't they?

Gus
13th-January-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't think so - the new version changes from the old version on count 4, which is where I think those variations diverge anyway, don't they?Yup ... fair point ... will need to stay awake more in class :wink:

Bigger Andy
14th-January-2005, 01:48 PM
See here:

Suuuper help -thanks. Richard

This goes back to my very first post on the forum back in February last year. It's therefore been near enough a year since the changes were introduced. I believe that some venues were used to pilot these changes so some venues may have been later to introduce it than others and therefore it is relatively new to some people.

Christine Keeble
14th-January-2005, 03:33 PM
The Yoyo was originally developed very much for 'cabaret' in mind rather than the dance floor and I think this way of doing it is still more suitable for a stage performance as you can create a dramatic line-up of dancers all facing the audience together. It was named for a routine called the "Gold Bug" (Alan Parson's) which was the first number performed by the original Ceroc Cabaret Team at the Hammersmith Palais in November 1982. It was this event which first made Ceroc explode onto London nightlife (it featured in Harpers & Queen, Cosmopolitan etc.) So, given the historic significance of the routine and the move I would much prefer to see a new teaching method produce a new name variation. But that's just me. I'm an incurably nostalgic romantic.

Please note also - the name was given in the first place because that is what the man is doing - YOYOing!

Will
14th-January-2005, 05:44 PM
The Yoyo was originally developed very much for 'cabaret' in mind rather than the dance floor and I think this way of doing it is still more suitable for a stage performance as you can create a dramatic line-up of dancers all facing the audience together. It was named for a routine called the "Gold Bug" (Alan Parson's) which was the first number performed by the original Ceroc Cabaret Team at the Hammersmith Palais in November 1982. It was this event which first made Ceroc explode onto London nightlife (it featured in Harpers & Queen, Cosmopolitan etc.) So, given the historic significance of the routine and the move I would much prefer to see a new teaching method produce a new name variation. But that's just me. I'm an incurably nostalgic romantic.

Please note also - the name was given in the first place because that is what the man is doing - YOYOing!
Wow! A real breathing member of the original Ceroc Cabaret team on this forum. Great stuff. (is this your doing Roger?)

There does seem to be some sort of traditional link between Ceroc and the Hammersmith Palais.

Anyway, Hi Christine & Bienvenue!

Whitebeard
14th-January-2005, 06:04 PM
The Wurlitzer.

And of course, once you actually reach intermediate, you can do the move however you like .....
Was taught a nice variation the other night in which a couple of sway wraps were inserted into the Wurlitzer.

(Which rather confirms my view that the basic Wurlitzer is unlikely to be taught again at Ceroc.)

Rentaghost
14th-January-2005, 08:58 PM
For me there's been no change. I started MJ at LeRoc in Brighton and I think Graham LeClerc has always taught the Yoyo the new Ceroc way.

I must admit I'd always found the old way a bit odd when I'd been to a Ceroc class.

:yeah:

When I swopped from Graham's Citygate centre to Ceroc I was terribly confused. On my first Ceroc night they taught a Yoyo which was different to the one I knew. I assumed that I had spent the previous 7 months dancing the move incorrectly.

Fast forward three years and they introduced the "new" Yoya and I knew it straight away.

Its a bit like a saying I half remember about there being no new ideas, just old ideas reinvented.... :rolleyes: