PDA

View Full Version : How long ?

Minnie M
12th-January-2005, 06:38 PM
When and where did you first start dancing and have you a story to go with it ?

Minnie M
12th-January-2005, 07:07 PM
OK seeing I started this :

My very very first class was with Ceroc Croydon (South Croydon) one of Virginia's of course (went there because I was working in Croydon at the time) and Steve Nash was teaching who now has Ceroc Horsham. I then joined Graham LeClerc classes in Brighton

Graham
12th-January-2005, 07:25 PM
My wife Wendy started dancing a couple of months before me. I started by going to a beginner cerocshop run by Franck, and then started going to the Glasgow Wednesday class (because Wendy didn't attend that class, and I decided I would be more comfortable staggering and fumbling about looking like a prat in front of strangers).

RobC
12th-January-2005, 07:39 PM
If we're talking dancing in general, I starting Ballroom in '92. I first came across Ceroc in Plymouth in '94.

Magic Hans
12th-January-2005, 08:11 PM
Again, for dancing in general, I started off in about '94 doing a month or two of Ballroom and Latin at Peggy Spencer's school at Penge, when I lived in Croydon.

However, I remember being far more interested in my partner's body than I ever was with the dancing and, for whatever reason, tried to close the distance between our chests!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: [Freud would probably have something to say about that, probably including being a Mummy's boy, and 12 years of (single sexed) catholic boarding school ..... I believe I may be close to recovery now!!!!]

Thus totally wrecking any chance of having a decent upper body frame, and any relationship with my partner - dancing or otherwise!!

Shortly after that, I was doing salsa, very off and on at a number of places - in Croydon, La Finca at Islington and a couple of places in Nottingham (including Cuba Libra). After about 5 years, I was beginning to get to be half confident at leading in a free style situation.

As for MJ? Started doing CEROC on my return to Nottingham about 2/3 years ago .... or is it 4 now!!!

!an

Lou
12th-January-2005, 08:11 PM
Blimey. That's scared me, Minnie. I did my first LeRoc class at the Elmgrove in September 95, with a group of workmates. :sick: Although I did give up for a few years... :wink:

Daisy Chain
12th-January-2005, 08:33 PM

I used to dance Cajun at the Irish Club in Chorlton and saw one of the regulars doing a fabulous looking partner dance. He gave me a flyer for Ceroc at the Bowden Rooms so off I trotted and have never looked back. Sadly cajun was killed off by the line dance craze in the late 90s but jive more than compensates (the men are more attractive.............less bearded!)

When I started Ceroc, the stylish Kim was demoing at Bowden for the lead singer from Soft Cell. Kim was a great inspiration, as was Sue Taylor. I'd like to think that I've turned into a mixture of both, but who knows? Until I see some video evidence, I can remain in blissful ignorance

Daisy

(An Inspired Little Flower)

Tiggerbabe
12th-January-2005, 08:45 PM
My mum dragged my sister and I along to Esther Clarke's school of dance every Saturday afternoon (when I'd really rather have been outside playing :wink: ). I'm not sure, but I must have been about 5 or 6. We learned Highland mostly but also a little tap and some showcase dances. I stopped when I was about 14 - giving up just before I took my final dance exams (mum was not best pleased :blush: )
I didn't dance at all after that :tears:, then got a leaflet for the Ceroc in Dundee and went along with a workmate. On my first night I got a dance from Mr BTC himself :drool: - how could you not want to go back after that?
It took me over a year to go to my first freestyle night though :eek:

Minnie M
12th-January-2005, 09:01 PM
I did actually mean modern jive - however, it is interesting to hear everyone's very first exposure to dancing

BUT - I challenge anyone to beat me !

I started at the local youth club aged 13 jiving (old fashioned Rock 'n' Roll that is) was dancing French Jive aged 15, however disco came in when I was 16 and didn't jive again till 1994

That makes 1957 when I had my first dance class

drathzel
13th-January-2005, 09:32 AM
It took me till 2004 to pluck up the courage to go, after seeing the ceroc scotland website in 2003! But its sometimes hard for me to think what i did before i danced!!!

Dx :hug:

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2005, 10:27 AM
Now this had got me thinking. My very first dance class was in Harrow in '77. Sue and I went to classes to learn the dances from Saturday Night Fever. One of the dances we did was very much like MJ!

I then started ballroom in '84 and MJ in '97.

One of my first memories of MJ is watching a very amusing RobC win the DWAS at the '97 LeJive champs with a fabulous dancer! There was even a dramatic tie-break dance-off between RobC and Sharif :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
13th-January-2005, 11:42 AM
I did ballet when I was 5, does that count ? :)

Minnie M
13th-January-2005, 11:46 AM
I did ballet when I was 5, does that count ? :)

Still doesn't compare with my start date :whistle: - BUT would love to see you in a Tutu :rolleyes: (keep getting that picture of UnderPar in Southport now)

Bex
13th-January-2005, 11:50 AM
Oops, just voted a realised it was 1996 when I started Ceroc not 1997!! :confused:

My first class was in Stoke Poges, Slough where I was dragged kicking and screaming to it by a friend I used to work with (I was convinced I'd hate it!) Spent the next couple of years mainly dancing in Fulham (The Gardens / Leopard Lounge & then Windsor), ahhh the good old days!! :D

Jive Brummie
13th-January-2005, 12:13 PM
First got into Ceroc after meeting Melanie in a cheesy nightclub in Dundee. Both there with our respective pals. She was drunk, so was i. I agreed to go dancing if she came boxing......she came boxing :sick: . The rest is history.

Would have to say that when i started in The Olympia in Dundee, i always remember being totally gobsmacked by how good everyone was, especially the taxi dancers........Alex and our very own Tiggerbabe :worthy: .

James. x x

p.s. can't remember exactly what i did before dancing....it must have been absolutely nothing :confused:

Kay
13th-January-2005, 12:19 PM
I started doing Salsa and got introduced to Ceroc in January 2002 at O'Donaghue's. Like you Sheena I had a dance with BTC himself and now go 3 nights a week.
Kay.

Mary
13th-January-2005, 12:29 PM
I think my first MJ class must have been early 1995. I had been going through a particularly bad time in my life and was trying to pick up the pieces and regain some self-confidence. A friend of a friend said she was going to try this Modern Jive class near us so I asked if I could come along with her. That first class was with Andy and Rena at the Brunel Sports Centre, we then went on to taking classes with a couple called Pat & Tony who also did ballroom, and then went on to do Franco's classes - he used to teach some pretty cool stuff!! I was much too scared to freestyle much - no change there.

Only other dancing experience was doing improv. excercises for gymnastics routines.

M

BeeBee
13th-January-2005, 12:52 PM

I went to the Maryhill Community Centre for a couple of classes in the Nov of 03 but I dont count it, I decided to leave the committment and learning until the new year. So on the night of the 24th Jan 04 I trundled along to Jumpin Jaks in Glasgow and I think it was shut!! They forgot about us!! But that wasn't a sign of things to come :clap:

The reason I started this malarky was my chum and I both got jobs that were 9-5 Mon-Fri, and decided that we were going to do something good with all this time we had on our hands. My pal suggested ceroc, I just went along with it, she hated it, I loved it . . . got totally hooked . . . best thing I've ever done! :clap:

Beebs :flower:

uk-jive
13th-January-2005, 01:24 PM
Started in 1991 with Ceroc Anglia (was one of Cynthia's original demonstrators).

Prior to that, took first dance lession in '75 (aged 4). Went into full-time training at 16, broke leg at 17 (while dancing), had 3 unrelated knee operations, broke it again 6 months later :sick: & then decided I should follow an alternative career path!

drathzel
13th-January-2005, 01:35 PM
Started in 1991 with Ceroc Anglia (was one of Cynthia's original demonstrators).

Prior to that, took first dance lession in '75 (aged 4). Went into full-time training at 16, broke leg at 17 (while dancing), had 3 unrelated knee operations, broke it again 6 months later :sick: & then decided I should follow an alternative career path!

You would kinda get the hint wouldn't you!!!! :hug:

foxylady
13th-January-2005, 01:37 PM
Have always danced, but started partner dancing in 1988 in Raleigh in North Carolina doing something called the Texas Two step, and I also learned to Shag....

On returning to the UK I started teaching Texas Two Step at the Weavers Arms in stoke newington as I couldn't find anywhere to dance it in London, but really wanted to dance at a higher level and saw an ad in Time Out for Lindy at the 100 club and went along to see if it was similar.....
It wasn't but I became hooked (one of the guys learning with me at the time was James Hamilton of TRDC). Danced 5 or 6 nights a week, either Lindy or Ceroc, for about 3 years... occasionally strayed into Salsa

Then had a break from manic dancing for a while, and got back into dancing regularly in 2000....

Foxy

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2005, 01:47 PM
p.s. can't remember exactly what i did before dancing....it must have been absolutely nothing :confused:

Boxing?

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2005, 01:51 PM
'75 (aged 4).

My 19th birthday was in October '75 :tears:

Aleks
13th-January-2005, 02:10 PM
I first started ballet classes in Nottingham in 1975 - I was 2. I gave dancing up for a which from 16-20 then was invited to train and teach, which I did until I moved to Edinburgh. I went back to being a pupil for 3 years then decided I wanted to play with the boys and started partner dancing - it's much more fun!

Dreadful Scathe
13th-January-2005, 02:50 PM
I went back to being a pupil for 3 years then decided I wanted to play with the boys and started partner dancing - it's much more fun!

Thats ok, all the boys want to play with you too :)

Jive Brummie
13th-January-2005, 05:34 PM

Hahahaha, I wasn't even born then

........sorry Andy :wink:

Bill
13th-January-2005, 05:49 PM
My introduction to Ceroc ( and any form of dance) was seeing Franck, Obi, Scot and the others busking in our local shopping centre in Oct 1997. I remember asking if you needed experience, if it was ok to come on your own and could 'older' men come along!

I attended the first night later in October 97 at The Palace and after two weeks felt I wasn't picking it up so gave myself one more week and decided if I couldn't do the moves that night I would'nt go back! luckily I got through the night and have been going ever since. Glad I did because I've met so many wonderful people throughout the country and have had the privilege of demo-ing with Lorna and Lisa :D

Just wish I'd been able to do it when I was in my 20's :sad:

TheTramp
13th-January-2005, 06:13 PM
Just wish I'd been able to do it when I was in my 20's :sad:
Did they have music then??? :rolleyes:

CJ
13th-January-2005, 06:22 PM

No, the first records of music as we know only date back to 12th Century BC. :D

TheTramp
13th-January-2005, 06:41 PM
No, the first records of music as we know only date back to 12th Century BC. :D
I set 'em up. You knock 'em over. :worthy:

Bill
13th-January-2005, 08:25 PM

Unfortunately not....but then that way none of us were off the beat :D :rolleyes:

But we the decided music might be an idea - so Franck was on washboard, I had paper and comb and someone had a couple of empty tins! They were simple times but we had fun back then :whistle:

Lory
13th-January-2005, 11:19 PM
My first dancing experience was Ballet at the Kathleen Hughes School of dancing aged 4, soon adding Tap, I gave up at the age of 14/15, when, like Alex, I discovered boy's. :na:

I've always regretted giving up Tap but my mates thought it was naff and peer pressure got the better of me! :sick:

My first Ceroc lesson was at Cerocmetro's Finchley Class, with Joseph but that happened to be his last week (I hope it wasn't anything to do with me :blush: ), then a girl called Karen took over. :nice:

I went along purely for a laugh, as one of my clients (who'd never been herself) was slagging her sister off, saying she'd started going to a church hall up the road, to learn this dance called Ceroc, she then went on to explain, you all stand in rows, everyone's ancient, you can't refuse to dance with anyone and it's full of weirdo's! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I thought the whole thing sounded hysterical, like something from a comedy sketch and had to witness it for myself. (I still think you could make a good comedy/docusoap out of it) :D

I did find the whole thing funny BUT in a nice sort of way. :na: I think I must have said sorry at least a thousand times that night, for various reasons........ falling off balance, completely messing up, going the wrong way round the room, not understanding even the simplest of things like the rotation, bumping into people, stepping on toes and laughing, outloud, mainly at myself I might add. :blush:

I never in a million years imagined that nearly 3years later I'd still be dancing, let alone going away for whole weekends of it! :eek:

Little Monkey
14th-January-2005, 12:44 AM
Now, lemmesee.......

Think I probably attended my first dance class in 79....? That was regular "dance school" where all the boys were dragged in by their mothers, kicking and screaming, and all the girls stood around in groups and giggled at them....

Then ballet fro about...... A couple of months? Stopped quite quickly, as the teacher was a dragon and scared the living daylight out of me (and my mum!). I also remember being sent out of class for..... Sneezing! Once! And I was sent out for the rest of that lesson!!

Then..... A bit of ballroom and a bit of swing when I was about 10-12, had to stop because my partner didn't want to continue ( :mad: ).....

Then started swing and rock'n'roll when I was 19, and started teaching it after 6 months. Continued that until I was 22, and then I moved to Scotland... That was in '96...... And I didn't discover CEROC until 2000!!!

Wasn't too active in the beginning.... Only one night per week in Dundee, and not having a car, and a boyfriend who didn't want to dance, I didn't get to any other classes, workshops, parties or weekenders.... :( Taxied for two years, had one year off, then back into it big time. And now I'm going to try and get to as many parties, workshops and weekenders as my meagre income will allow! :D

It's great being single...... :rofl:

Monkey

Mr Fitz
14th-January-2005, 12:52 AM
this dance called Ceroc, she then went on to explain, you all stand in rows, everyone's ancient, you can't refuse to dance with anyone and it's full of weirdo's!

...that made me laugh out loud :rofl: hilarious!,...cos it's true. For example, yesterday we had a couple of shiny new beginners, I went to ask one of them to dance. She tried to refuse cos it was her first class, I wouldn't let her (Ceroc rule No. 1). I could tell she was looking at me thinking "he's ancient, and he's a weirdo". We had a laugh though...I wonder if she'll be back :confused:

bobgadjet
14th-January-2005, 10:31 AM
First ever dance, Harrogate, Line dancing at a venue run by a member of Hospital Radio to help raise funds for them.
Hooked on LD for 10 years, the found WCS about 8-9 years ago.
dragged to Ceroc in Croydon to be shown the difference (and simplicity) that MJ is compared with WCS, now I'm pretty much hooked on both.

Min, how come you remember that far back? How was the music played back then? wind up gramaphone? :whistle:

Surely that was pre-disco days. me thinks 78's on a portable Dansette player in the corner of a room with a truly wonderful dance floor.

Bet you've seen a few changes since, when was it "57" ? Naaaa, you don't look old enough:flower:

stewart38
14th-January-2005, 10:37 AM

I was 10 in February of that year so guess what coming up soon :tears: 30 ??

I started with Le roc in 1994 summer and Ceroc (Guildford) in Autumn, those were the days

I wanted a mate to go with me but after 6 weeks of him cancelling i went on my own !

I did ballroom etc way before that

Minnie M
14th-January-2005, 02:20 PM
...........Min, how come you remember that far back? How was the music played back then? wind up gramaphone? :whistle:

Surely that was pre-disco days. me thinks 78's on a portable Dansette player in the corner of a room with a truly wonderful dance floor.

Bet you've seen a few changes since, when was it "57" ?

Not quite a 'wind up gramaphone' it was one of those that played 10 '45s' / or '78s' dropping each down one at a time - not sure but possibly was a Dansette. (also had a Grundig tape recorder) And we also had some Juke Box rejects with a big hole in the middle so we had to put an insert in.

My first ever '45' was 'Stagger Lee' can't remember the artist, however I am sure DD will help me out.

Unfortunately jive went out in about 1959 so didn't do a lot of 'jiving' till modern jive came along in my life in 1994

Naaaa, you don't look old enough :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :flower:

Lynn
14th-January-2005, 11:43 PM
The first time I ever saw MJ was on holiday in Crete Sep 2003 when Will got up to do a demonstration :waycool: I thought it was fab, and after 2 lessons on the holiday decided I wanted to do more. Aside from about 6 months of basic lessons here in Belfast in 2003-2004 I haven't been to many classes so my progress is slow - so I wouldn't really say I had been dancing for over a year as there have been several 3 -4 month gaps where I have done little or no dancing.

philsmove
15th-January-2005, 03:34 PM
In 96 my mate bought be a ticket to a leroc ball as a Christmas Present

I explained I could not dance and had 2 left feet

That night he dragged me off to Bristol LeRoc in Whiteladies road run my Michelle and Janet

Once I discovered there was a class or dance virtually every night of the week I became addicted

Still got 2 left feet though

It’s difficult to imagine dancing knowing only 3 moves but the Ball was great and I have only missed one since then (due to flue)

Barryf
15th-January-2005, 05:28 PM
Started ballroom lessons when I was about 10, as we lived on the exotic island of Zanzibar and there was nothing else to do in the evenings ( Guys: at the age of 10).

Learned to rock and roll at 14 at school in England, went to the 100 Jazz club in oxford street every monday for years, and then went away in the merchant navy and danced in every port ( well almost). New Zealand and Australia were the best as they had live rock bands every Saturday ( much better than the UK, except Manchester) :whistle:

Dressed in my white tuxedo, I was asked to start the Miss South Australia Ball. un fortunatley there was no one else who could waltz. My only claim to fame??? :D

At a latin and Ballroom lesson I was asked in 2002 If I was going to the freestyle jive night in Darligton and i thought well I can Jive so go for it.

Well you can imagine the effect and bewildered looks from everyoneof having a complete novice, asking everyone in sight for a dance, and trying to lead R&R. Never mind, I was into MJ and some of the girls still dance with me.

I wish like others I had been aware of the MJ revolution much earlier, but am really glad to be learning something so fantastic, once in Sheffield, some of the working mens club members looked in on the freestyle night. and said
"WE HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE ENJOYING THEMSELVES ALL AT THE SAME TIME"

I agree totally, and have made lots of new friends, and enjoy every MJ night out. And Don't they just make you welcome when you go somewhere New.

Barry f :clap:

RogerR
15th-January-2005, 06:11 PM
Early ceroc pre TM classes at station studios Harrow 85 or 86 ish then Michel's classes at Centre Charles Peguy Leicester square, then on to Busby's.

Dance Demon
15th-January-2005, 06:25 PM
Not quite a 'wind up gramaphone' it was one of those that played 10 '45s' / or '78s' dropping each down one at a time - not sure but possibly was a Dansette. (also had a Grundig tape recorder) And we also had some Juke Box rejects with a big hole in the middle so we had to put an insert in.

My first ever '45' was 'Stagger Lee' can't remember the artist, however I am sure DD will help me out.

Unfortunately jive went out in about 1959 so didn't do a lot of 'jiving' till modern jive came along in my life in 1994

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug: :flower:

Stagger lee was by Lloyd Price Minnie :flower:
All this talk about 78s & Dansette record players, makes me think back to when I was a sprog, and probably where my love of music & DJing came from. When I was only about 3 or 4 years old, ( 1961/62) I used to sit with a big pile of 78s spread over the floor, and my mums Dansette record player. It was Grey with a maroon lid. I couldn't read but could tell you what each disc was by the label (A sides & B sides)...they included The Great Pretender by the Platters,
It's Fabulous by Charlie Gracie, Dark Moon by Tony Brent, Shrimp Boats by jo stafford and the jewel in the crown Rock around the clock by Bill Haley & the Comets ( which would be worth a few quid now if I still had it )......I used to spend hours listening to them until the pile was gradually depleted by me sitting on them & breaking them :rofl: My love of 50s music was rekindled one night when i went along to an Edinburgh Swing dance Society party night. The DJ was a guy called Alec (Rhumboogie) Gloag. he was playing the usual 40s /50s savoy swing, then suddenly the sound of big Joe Turner singing Shake rattle & Roll came out of the speakers, followed by Bloodshot Eyes by Wynonie Harris, then a succession of amazing Doo-Wop Jivers.......and I was hooked. Have had the priveliage of llooking through Alecs collection, and it is truly awesome. This probably won't mean much to most...but I know Minnie &
Chicklet will know where I'm coming from.

Minnie M
15th-January-2005, 07:24 PM
Stagger lee was by Lloyd Price Minnie :flower:
............. This probably won't mean much to most...but I know Minnie &
Chicklet will know where I'm coming from.

Thanks DD - knew you would know :kiss: :cheers:

Yes - no where your coming from :clap: wonderful stuff :worthy:

We must all get together when you are next down south, get Phil Ducket to join us - (another fan ) :clap: :clap: (maybe we can get me to give you a gig at his Friday Night dance :clap: :clap: )

Baruch
17th-January-2005, 12:30 AM
I started dancing in January 2004. I'd never danced before (ANY kind of dance), and was terrified at the prospect of doing it, but my then fiancee wanted to dance at our wedding reception and I was determined not to do the naff "holding onto each other and shuffling aimlessly until the music stops" sort of thing. As my better half had been doing Ceroc in London for 7 years or so, that was the obvious thing to go for.

There's no Ceroc in these parts (South Wales), so I started Le Roc lessons at Planet Le Roc (Jackie and Mark's class in Cardiff). I very quickly came to love it, and was soon addicted.

My wife and I danced Modern Jive at our wedding last July as planned, and I've kept on dancing since then. Jackie and Mark's classes challenge my mind and my body, as well as being great fun :worthy: so I'd have to lose a limb or something to make me stop now!

Gadget
17th-January-2005, 02:28 PM
I only started "dancing" when I went to Uni ('club' dancing - learning by mimicry); Tuesdays - Mudd club (Rock & Indi), Thursdays - Elisium (Goth & Tech) Fridays and Saturdays in the Union for an eclectic mix. Thought nothing of going from 10pm-2am and dancing all night, then walking from one end of the city to the other escorting young ladies home :innocent:
There were a small handfull of regulars that would go to these nights; they would get up to the tracks they liked, I would dance to everything. Didn't like being the only person on the dance floor (I prefer to dance with people), but have been one of the first two people on the dance floor many, many times. Scared off a few people by dancing at them once or twice as well :what: :rofl:
A few years down the line and have to earn a living cuts it down to only one or two 3am nights a week, and then about once a month (pluss the occasional 'outing' :wink: )

One of the people that I have known since I came up here to Uni (... 15 years ago :what: :tears:... ) is PsychoDiver - Craig Mackay - he was(is) a like minded person on the dance floor, but with a bit narrower music tastes. Met up with him one of these rare nights out and he said that he had started this partner dance thing and that I should go: I would enjoy it.
I had no idea of what it looked like or what it involved. I turned up and simply watched on my first night - The Palace... venue for rock, goth and indie nights; student haven with £1/pint promotions; carpets that ensured you laced your shoes or lost them; dance floor with sticky beer-spill patches;... those were the days :waycool:
Took part in the beginners class the second night staying untill the end again. I was advised on the third night by a Taxi that I should do the Intermediate.

Since then I generally have danced about once a week, even while venues changed, more nights were added. I did take a year off when sprog 1 was born, a month off with the arrival of the second, and same with this new one. I only attend about one in three local parties, but try to make every Beach Ballroom event. So it's a soft 7 years since I took it up - compared to all these 2/3 nights a week with weekenders and partys people, I have only been dancing for less than 3 years in 'real' terms :innocent:

TheTramp
17th-January-2005, 02:30 PM
So it's a soft 7 years since I took it up - compared to all these 2/3 nights a week with weekenders and partys people, I have only been dancing for less than 3 years in 'real' terms :innocent:
And compared to me, using this scale, about 2 months :whistle:

Christine Keeble
17th-January-2005, 03:51 PM
First learned to "French Jive" in 1978 in a little village in Brittany called Brignogon. All the Parisians were down for the summer and it was 'the real McCoy'. The big song was Magic Fly by Space.
In 1979 I went to the University of Exeter and joined the Rock'n'roll society. (which co-incidentally was run by James Cronin the year before). James, while DJ ing an Exeter student's party, invited me to a Ceroc evening. They happened once a month and were run by James, his brother and sister and a bunch of his friends. On my second visit to Ceroc James told me he was hoping to form a Cabaret and would I like to dance? That was it. The rest is history.

Franck
17th-January-2005, 03:59 PM
First learned to "French Jive" in 1978 in a little village in Brittany called Brignogon.:D That reminded me that I had learnt 'French Jive' at school in Lyon - France. I think I was probably 13 or 14 (1983) and I joined the 'Rock'n Roll' club at lunchtime. I was awful, lacked confidence and talent, but I fancied the teacher :whistle:
I remember dancing to Wham...
The next milestone for me was the release of Dirty Dancing, I promised myself I would learn to do that one day!
It took me a few year, but in 1990, living in Glasgow, Jean Harris invited me to join the local Jive classes (Lindella) as they needed guys... I got hooked very quickly, learning 3 or 4 times a week, and within two years, I had discovered and launched the first ever Ceroc class in Scotland, in Glasgow.

At the time, and since, James Cronin was a total inspiration and still is to this date.

TheTramp
17th-January-2005, 04:04 PM
I was awful, lacked confidence and talent, but I fancied the teacher :whistle:
And times have changed in what way??

(Sorry Franck, but if you're going to set them up like that?!?)

foxylady
17th-January-2005, 04:12 PM
And times have changed in what way??

(Sorry Franck, but if you're going to set them up like that?!?)

He's good, talented, oozes confidence, and every one fancies him, perhaps ?? :wink:

TheTramp
17th-January-2005, 04:25 PM
He's good, talented, oozes confidence, and every one fancies him, perhaps ?? :wink:
I don't. He's not my type.

Maybe it's the beard?!?

Christine Keeble
17th-January-2005, 04:28 PM
:D That reminded me that I had learnt 'French Jive' at school in Lyon - France. I think I was probably 13 or 14 If you learnt in France did you ever hear the term 'MAYONAISE ROCK"?

Apparently this is what French Lindyhoppers call what WE call "French Jive/Ceroc/Leroc" This is a term I never came across until a couple of years ago and I was wondering how old and how widespread it might be. I went to a Parisian Lindyhop festival to kiss the trouser hem of Frankie Manning (it was a bit difficult because he is still very sprightly). While there, and while chatting to a Lindy instructress, I learned that the kind of jive done by University students in France (ie. the French punters version and what Ceroc used to be) is known in Lindy circles as MAYONAISE Rock. This is is a semi-derogatory term of endearment because French Lindyhoppers consider the style "naive". Has anyone else ever heard this expression? Or was it just something local and cliquey?

Franck
17th-January-2005, 04:34 PM
If you learnt in France did you ever hear the term 'MAYONAISE ROCK"?I didn't hear it then, but have heard of it since (I believe there is a similar expression in the U.S. (Goat roping?). Whilst I know it is meant to be derogatory, I always took it as a bit of defensiveness from teachers who can only conceive dancing if it's highly technical and involves challenging footwork, and who wanted to protect their classes.

And Trampy, not much has changed :D just ask Ceroc Jock! :wink:

Franck
17th-January-2005, 04:39 PM
He's good, talented, oozes confidence, and every one fancies him, perhaps ?? :wink:Thanks Foxylady :hug: maybe one out of 4 ain't bad :wink: but no need to be so kind, I promise you a dance or 3 at the week-end!!! :nice:

TheTramp
17th-January-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks Foxylady :hug: maybe one out of 4 ain't bad
Which one?!? :whistle:

Rhythm King
17th-January-2005, 04:43 PM
I put the story of my introduction to MJ here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=70113#post70113). I had a gap of over 11 years, before I was posted back to the UK and had a quick dabble at Kerrin Osmond's Ceroc franchise in Wilton (now Ginger Jive), then another 6 month gap before getting seriously stuck in at Cambridge. And the rest, as they say, is history :whistle:

R-K (Am I really that old? :tears: )

Sparkles
17th-January-2005, 05:21 PM
R-K (Am I really that old? :tears: )

Uh huh! :wink:

As most of you know I started ballroom when I was 5yrs old (just a bubba really :rolleyes: ). I didn't discover the delights of MJ till I was 18 and did about 6months of it while I was at Uni. After trying lots of different dances including salsa, I decided that I didn't get as much of a buzz from any of them as I did with MJ; so six months after I moved to London I took up Ceroc! :clap: Since then I've become rather addicted :cough cough: and have been dancing anything between 2 and 5 nights a week for the last six months. When I look back on it though, all in all, I've been doing modern jive/ceroc for less than two years :what: somehow it seems longer...

S. x

Stuart
17th-January-2005, 05:31 PM
I had a couple of Ballroom Dancing Lessons in Peterborough back in the early 1990's as preparation for a dinner-dance I was organising (I thought I ought to show willing!) but what with a change of job and a move, I never got around to following it up.

I took up MJ in 2001 after a friend told me about it and I saw the Deborah Bull programme.

ChrisA
17th-January-2005, 06:31 PM
Aged 15, I was dragged, screaming, to a local ballroom and latin dance school by my mum, but it only took me about one lesson to realise that although I felt really awkward, it gave me a chance to meet girls. And I was very much in demand even though I was rubbish to start with, since there were very few boys in the class.

Even though I was spotted going in there one Saturday by one of my classmates, and consequently had the p1ss ripped out of me constantly for weeks and weeks, I kept it up, did medals, and ended up really enjoying it.

So when I went to uni, I went along to a social night, and got picked for the team :what: This catapulted me into an extremely busy year of practising and comps which became very stressful, and it became a matter of choosing whether to carry on dancing or get a degree.

So after the first year I gave up (and swore a dreadful oath never to compete again :rolleyes: :D ), and, horror of horrors, didn't really dance again for 15 years. Terrible mistake that, in retrospect. :tears:

Then I got dragged to a one-off Ceroc class at a local church. I was so dreadful that I didn't do another one for six months, and of course I was still dreadful, so I didn't go back for another six months. Another terrible mistake :tears:

The third time it was a beginners Cerocshop, and it more or less clicked, and I started going regularly to the Leopard Lounge. So that would have been '98 sometime. And the rest, as they say, is history :flower:

Clive Long
3rd-February-2005, 10:20 PM
When did I start Ceroc? Well it's all lost a bit in the mists of time but I think something like this - I may have the order of events wrong.

In an indirect way Ceroc has influenced the course of my life.

Early to mid 90's I became incredibly frustrated with work and social life.

So I looked around and stumbled across a club called "IVC". IVC has "fed" into Ceroc over the years. Now I won't go into the history and personalities of IVC but you could approach it as any or all of activity / social / dating club. Although interested in the dating, I seemed to always be too busy and distracted by the activitiy and the social - I KNOW they shouldn't be contradictory activities - but it was a rather confusing time !

Now, one of the activities IVCers went to was this thing called Ceroc. The venue was the late, lamented Central Club behind Tottenham Court Road station (TCR to those in the know). The teacher was a cocky young blade, Mike Ellard. I joined in and found it was one of the few enjoyable things I did at that time. I met up with a guy in IVC and Ceroc called Mike Weston, great dancer, amazing waist-coats. If you are a laydee and danced in Central Club in the mid 90's you definitely danced with Mikey. He had a mate (Adam ??) with whom he put on dances at Chiswick Town Hall.

Complaining to Mike one day, he got me an interview at the company he as working for and I moved job, which led to lots of other stuff - all good so far, but not Ceroc related so I won't bore you.

I had a "gap" for several years except for a few dances with IVCers on various beaches, and now fired with enthusiasm I want to become a better and "varied" dancer (if you get my drift).

And what happened to Mike? Married (via Ceroc) - kids (I think ??? :sick: ) and now a senior manager at Logica.

Thanks Mikey

Katie
4th-February-2005, 07:50 PM
After watching the film 'Strictly Ballroom' I wanted to be a professional dancer (even wrote that as my ambition in my autobiography at school!) so I started Ballroom dancing when I was 9 years old. The reality was quite different! :wink: Fantasy is great! Nevertheless I enjoyed it immensely for 5 years....and in the meantime I decided I wanted to be a lawyer..... :confused:

So after a year break from dancing, I started Leroc in 2000 with Buzz and Sue in Shoreham; I can remember going home on an incredible 'high' after the workshop and had to buy Shania Twain 'Come on over' album as Buzz had played it all day (I can't stand it now!! :sick: ) and I haven't looked back since! Although I'm not sure if I am going to be a lawyer now.... :wink:

Kate