PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Bedfordshire

2leftfeet
11th-January-2005, 12:19 AM
Hello Campers!
Sadly this beginner will be in Bedford for 2 weeks in February and would appreciate info on where and when I could fill my evening with dance classes :waycool:

foxylady
11th-January-2005, 12:27 AM
Hello Campers!
Sadly this beginner will be in Bedford for 2 weeks in February and would appreciate info on where and when I could fill my evening with dance classes :waycool:

Wow congratulations on your first post since joining in Sept 2002 !! Can't help you re the dancing but loads will I'm sure !!

2leftfeet
11th-January-2005, 12:59 AM
Thx Foxy, Have not been dancing since 2002, so this is the return!! :whistle:

Leo
11th-January-2005, 01:17 AM
Hello Campers!

Hello... Bedford and area

Monday & thursday, The addison centre - Kempston, bedford (ceroc)
Monday & wednesday, Wilton Hall - Wilton Rd. Bletchley, Milton Keynes (ceroc)
Tuesday & Thursday, Northampton Rugby club (ceroc)
Also Lindy, I think wednesday in bedford

See this link for everything you ever wanted to know about jive classes uk
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/class-list.asp

Yogi_Bear
27th-January-2005, 12:33 AM
Check the Ceroc Central web site for weekday classes and evening special events. Thatis probably the biggest MJ outfit in the area. The Bedford Cornhall Friday events are especially recommended but you've just missed that (last Friday). Also check out blues if you are into that at bluesdance.org.uk

Minnie M
27th-January-2005, 01:08 AM
Check the Ceroc Central web site for weekday classes and evening special events. Thatis probably the biggest MJ outfit in the area. The Bedford Cornhall Friday events are especially recommended but you've just missed that (last Friday). Also check out blues if you are into that at bluesdance.org.uk

Fri 11th Feb
SANDY
Conservative Club Bedford Rd In Aid of Tsunami Appeal “Jivin Skool Disco” with guest teacher fun class 8.30/ Easyjive/ £10 members £15 non members

Andy McGregor
27th-January-2005, 01:56 AM
Hello Campers!
Go to David Plummer's modern jive class in Bedford or Rushden. Go here (http://www.jivin.co.uk/) for their website. He's a great guy, he's not Ceroc :wink: and you'll have a great night - did I mention it's not Ceroc? :devil:

What have I got against Ceroc? Smoking ...

bigdjiver
27th-January-2005, 02:34 AM
Hello... Bedford and area

Monday & thursday, The addison centre - Kempston, bedford (ceroc)
Monday & wednesday, Wilton Hall - Wilton Rd. Bletchley, Milton Keynes (ceroc)
Tuesday & Thursday, Northampton Rugby club (ceroc)
Also Lindy, I think wednesday in bedford

See this link for everything you ever wanted to know about jive classes uk
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/class-list.aspThere is NO class at Wilton hall Mondays, it moved to the Wednesday. Also on Wednesday there is Ceroc in Wellingborough, which I always enjoy when I go there.

Michaela teaching and Roy DJ are a top team on Mondays and Thursdays at the Addison Centre. They also feature at on Tuesday at Priory Centre, St Neots, which is a short journey away.

There is a "LeRoc" night on Tuesday in Bedford. I would rather take the bus journey to St Neots, or go by train to Luton on that night.

bigdjiver
27th-January-2005, 02:57 AM
Go to David Plummer's modern jive class in Bedford or Rushden. Go here (http://www.jivin.co.uk/) for their website. He's a great guy, he's not Ceroc :wink: and you'll have a great night - did I mention it's not Ceroc? :devil:

What have I got against Ceroc? Smoking ...I think smoking is allowed at his venues. Mr. Plummer does have a good sense of humour, and is sometimes adventurous with his nights. As far as I am aware David Plummer set up his nights with no teacher training. I do not know if he has had any since.

As for being a great guy I had him "in my face" and very aggressive because I dared to pick up some leaflets from his class on my way to the Ceroc one. (Last year he was running on a Monday in Bedford.)
He was running classes head to head with Ceroc in Bedford and Sandy, close to St Neots, charging less for admission, but has closed Sandy, and moved the Monday night to Tuesday. We sometimes get his members at Ceroc freestyle nights, and I have not been impressed. If I want to dance on a Tuesday I go to St, Neots or Luton, by public transport if necessary. You pays your money ...

I am told Northampton on Tuesday is a great night, with Emma teaching.

Andy McGregor
27th-January-2005, 11:23 AM
I think smoking is allowed at his venues. Mr. Plummer does have a good sense of humour, and is sometimes adventurous with his nights. As far as I am aware David Plummer set up his nights with no teacher training. I do not know if he has had any since.

I don't know about the training but he's a regular member of the team at party weekenders and seems fine. I did ask him about smoking at his venues(totally out of character for me :wink: ) and he told me one of his venues has no smoking and at the other it's only in the bar.

I've just taken a look at the smoky dance floor thread. Northampton and Luton Ceroc are listed as venues where you can smoke :sick: Anyone know if there's been a change of policy since December.

Gus
27th-January-2005, 11:50 AM
As far as I am aware David Plummer set up his nights with no teacher training. I do not know if he has had any since.I kow time may have warped my memory ... but I seem to remember one of Ceroc Central's teachers breaking away some years back to set up his own club in the area (after some alleged dispute with Phil Roberts) ... I thought that was Messr Plummer. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

Northants Girly
27th-January-2005, 12:07 PM
I am told Northampton on Tuesday is a great night, with Emma teaching. :yeah: tis true

Northants Girly
27th-January-2005, 12:14 PM
he told me one of his venues has no smoking and at the other it's only in the bar.
I've just taken a look at the smoky dance floor thread. Northampton and Luton Ceroc are listed as venues where you can smoke :sick: Anyone know if there's been a change of policy since December. David Plummer recently polled everyone on his email list for their views on smoking at his venues. Here is a snippet of what he said:
Smoking?
We have recently been lobied by a group who wish to see no smoking at all Modern Jive venues. Given that it is an aerobic exercise they believe that there should be no smoking.
On the other side of the coin it is also a social night out and some people enjoy a fag and a drink whilst being social.
I believe in a short period of time, smoking will be banned from all public places but I would like to open this up to the members for your opinions.
My proposed solution for Bedford is to make the bar a smoking area, but the main room to be non-smoking. I think that compromise should suit everyone, but I'm not sure what to do about Rushden..... I'd like some feedback. Do we:
a) Keep it as it is, with a smoking and non-smoking section, or
b) Make it a non-smoking venue
Please get back to me with your views asap, so we can ring in the changes (if that's what is decided) before returning to the Pemberton.

See you at the club!

As for Ceroc Northampton - yes I'm afriad smoking is allowed there :sad:

bigdjiver
28th-January-2005, 01:02 AM
I kow time may have warped my memory ... but I seem to remember one of Ceroc Central's teachers breaking away some years back to set up his own club in the area (after some alleged dispute with Phil Roberts) ... I thought that was Messr Plummer. Can anybody confirm/deny that?Marie parted company with Ceroc and was teaching at the 3rd Floor, the cheapest of the competing nights in Bedford, and the first to fold.

bigdjiver
28th-January-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't know about the training but he's a regular member of the team at party weekenders and seems fine. I did ask him about smoking at his venues(totally out of character for me :wink: ) and he told me one of his venues has no smoking and at the other it's only in the bar.

I've just taken a look at the smoky dance floor thread. Northampton and Luton Ceroc are listed as venues where you can smoke :sick: Anyone know if there's been a change of policy since December.Mr Plummer is a party guy. He used to be , and may still be, on the photo gallery in a smart 60's dress and blonde wig at the ABBA night, and baring his backside in a monks costume. I can imagine him being Andy's sort of person.

I think the no smoking venue may be the one that closed. The bar at the Harpur suite is in a separate room, so the smokers cannot see the dancing. I do not recall seeing any smokers at the Addison centre tonight, and I had a super night.

I danced with a girl tonight who said she had been to his class, but did not like the noise. Pressed further, she alleged that he was running a beginners class, intermediate class and advanced class simultaneously in the same hall. The salsa class I attended there used that format, and was one reason I gave that up so quickly. II would be very interested in hearing what two left feet thought of it, if attended.

Andy McGregor
28th-January-2005, 01:59 AM
Mr Plummer is a party guy. He used to be , and may still be, on the photo gallery in a smart 60's dress and blonde wig at the ABBA night, and baring his backside in a monks costume. I can imagine him being Andy's sort of person.

I don't know what you mean :innocent:

My sort of person is someone who can dance well and isn't too far up their own bottom :wink:

2leftfeet
4th-February-2005, 10:43 PM
Well campers, Im off on my travels to your part of the world this weekend.
Thank you for all the advice and the thoughts!!
Hope I will bump into some of you on my travels!
As the Bay City Rollers said............................Keep on Dancin!
"LF :clap:

bigdjiver
5th-February-2005, 04:59 AM
Well campers, Im off on my travels to your part of the world this weekend.
Thank you for all the advice and the thoughts!!
Hope I will bump into some of you on my travels!
As the Bay City Rollers said............................Keep on Dancin!
"LF :clap: We have already given you more than 2 alternatives for each night Monday through Thursday, but, just to ensure you suffer no deficiency, there is the Sunday Tea dance at the delightful Wicksteed Park pavilion in Kettering from 5.30 to 10.30, (allegedly wrongly advertised on another website) and the Luton Freestyle on next Friday.

Zebra Woman
6th-February-2005, 12:20 PM
We have already given you more than 2 alternatives for each night Monday through Thursday, but, just to ensure you suffer no deficiency, there is the Sunday Tea dance at the delightful Wicksteed Park pavilion in Kettering from 5.30 to 10.30, (allegedly wrongly advertised on another website) and the Luton Freestyle on next Friday.

Oh yes the Wicksteed T dance that is my favourite local event. :clap: 4 hours of solid freestyle with music from top DJ Rob Ambridge. :worthy: lovely dancers from all over the place :wink: , scones and tea, smooth floor.

I'll be there tonight.....undercover for a change as I don't want to get my zebra things smoky :mad:

bigdjiver
6th-February-2005, 04:27 PM
The wicksteed pavilion is very spacious, there are few smokers, and the last description I would apply is "smoky". I would use "airy".

Zebra Woman
6th-February-2005, 06:24 PM
The wicksteed pavilion is very spacious, there are few smokers, and the last description I would apply is "smoky". I would use "airy".

Wicksteed for all it's virtues has smoking right up to the dance floor. A lot of people socailise and smoke at the tables around the dance floor. I always go home reeking of smoke. It is a red light venue in my book. Luckily the DJ and dancers are so fab I am prepared to put up with it.

Hey BigD. You don't WORK for Phil Roberts do you?? :rolleyes:

ZW :hug:

Yogi_Bear
6th-February-2005, 10:57 PM
As for Ceroc Northampton - yes I'm afriad smoking is allowed there :sad: As is the case at Ceroc Peterborough..

bigdjiver
7th-February-2005, 12:04 PM
Wicksteed for all it's virtues has smoking right up to the dance floor. A lot of people socailise and smoke at the tables around the dance floor. I always go home reeking of smoke. It is a red light venue in my book. Luckily the DJ and dancers are so fab I am prepared to put up with it.

Hey BigD. You don't WORK for Phil Roberts do you?? :rolleyes:

ZW :hug:Zebras probably have better senses of smell than us.

I will let the venue speak for itself:

Wicksteed (http://wicksteedpark.co.uk)

Click on "Pavilion" and "Corporate" to see the exterior. The high section under the clocktower is the bit over the dancefloor. The event uses all of the space under and to the right of that. It is very spacious. The glass doors leading onto the dancefloor were open.

Click on banquets to see a fragment of the dancefloor, with the high glass section over the dancefloor. I stand by my description "airy".
It is a superb venue for a tea-dance, especially in the summer.

I did intend to count the smokers at intervals. The first count was 4 just coming up to 7pm. I was too busy enjoying myself to remember to do more counts. I did note 4 people smoking outside during the evening, and only noticed two prospective, and therefore bypassed, partners smoking during the night.

The DJ is my least favourite of all of the Ceroc Central ones that I know, but every partner that I have said that to has said that they like him, it is down to personal taste. He did play a version of "careless love" that I had not heard before, and loved, and he did play "Fire" :grin: Alas, as I scanned for a partner I got the tap on the shoulder from a beginner. :sad:

Regretably, I am not working for anybody at the moment. It is nice of you to take an interest.

Zebra Woman
7th-February-2005, 02:10 PM
I did intend to count the smokers at intervals. The first count was 4 just coming up to 7pm. I was too busy enjoying myself to remember to do more counts. I did note 4 people smoking outside during the evening, and only noticed two prospective, and therefore bypassed, partners smoking during the night.

It didn't smell very smoky at all, and it wasn't bad enough to give me a cough. I counted 10 people smoking at once mid evening, but that is all it takes for my hair and clothes reek of smoke when I get home. My clothes still smell now. :angry: So Wicksteed failed the smelly cardigan test. :sad:

I am very pleased to hear some smokers went outside, it was a cold night. I appreciate their consideration :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Wicksteed is a beautiful airy venue for sure, but it was polluted last night. Admit it wasn't nearly as smoky as Northampton , Luton or Kempston usually are.

The DJ is my least favourite of all of the Ceroc Central ones that I know, but every partner that I have said that to has said that they like him, it is down to personal taste. He did play a version of "careless love" that I had not heard before, and loved, and he did play "Fire" :grin: Alas, as I scanned for a partner I got the tap on the shoulder from a beginner. :sad:

Regretably, I am not working for anybody at the moment. It is nice of you to take an interest.

Rob is my favourite Ceroc central DJ. He is open to feedback and does play interesting stuff although IMHO he was a bit less adventurous last night. I spoke to him and he was toning it down a bit as quite a lot of the braver dancers were away for the weekend. I too loved 'Careless Love' and 'Fire'.

No night can be fab without 'Fire' can it? :devil: Jivecat, Miss Conduct back me up here.... :rofl:

Good luck with the job hunting :hug:

ZW :flower:

Zuhal
9th-February-2005, 05:02 PM

ZW :hug:

My first visit to Wicksteed last Sunday and the airy nature of the place means that the smoking did not really bother me.

However, half way through my scone I was asked to dance and when I returned the other people seated at the table had left their lit cigarettes burning over my scone. I wanted to deposit my cream tea about their persons :devil:

Pity, their lack of consideration will soon force the law makers to legislate.

Zuhal

bigdjiver
9th-February-2005, 06:02 PM
My first visit to Wicksteed last Sunday and the airy nature of the place means that the smoking did not really bother me.

However, half way through my scone I was asked to dance and when I returned the other people seated at the table had left their lit cigarettes burning over my scone. I wanted to deposit my cream tea about their persons :devil:

Pity, their lack of consideration will soon force the law makers to legislate.

ZuhalI will suggest to Phil Roberts that he at least requests smokers to use the tables furthest from the dance floor in venues like Wicksteed and Wellingborough where there is lots of room for tables. In Wicksteed, as there is food served, the area down two sides of the floor should, IMO, be non-smoking. The MK tea-dance is trickier - perhaps no smoking before 7pm as a compromise.

I too dislike smoke, but I do not wish to close MJ off to anybody.

2leftfeet
6th-March-2005, 09:38 PM
Well everyone, you can now let your women and daughters out, the wild scotsman has returned to the land oh heather, and left the snow as a pressie!
I did have the chance to visit Bedford, St Neots, Stevenage, Luton and London while I was down, and had a great time. I must admit that some venues seemed to accept a strange face more that others, however I will be back.........!
Thanks again to all the info.
Regards
2LF

2leftfeet
20th-September-2005, 12:08 AM
Bad news down there!!! I'm on my travels again and back in Bedfordshire 17 October. Whats the current state of the world down there?
Looks like St Neots, Luton and Bedford is still dancing, anywhere else? :nice:

Trish
20th-September-2005, 10:53 AM
Bad news down there!!! I'm on my travels again and back in Bedfordshire 17 October. Whats the current state of the world down there?
Looks like St Neots, Luton and Bedford is still dancing, anywhere else? :nice:

Peterborough's busy (and friendly!) on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Not quite Bedfordshire I know, but not too far off from St Neots - it depends where you're based. It'd be nice to meet you if you feel like visiting us.

Andy teaches Tuesdays and Thursdays it's currently alternating between Liz and Marc & Rachel.

BTW - all the Ceroc Central venues are now non smoking :clap: !