PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ballroom February 2005

Franck
10th-January-2005, 06:47 PM
BEACH BALLROOM WEEK-END ABERDEEN, 4th, 5th and 6th of February 2005
A week-end of dancing with 3 parties and many workshops to transform your dancing around the incredible Beach Ballroom

FRIDAY NIGHT WARM-UP PARTY:
Friday 4th February - 8.00pm to 1.00am: (Venue: The Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road)
Launching the week-end's festivities. Get your dance shoes on early and catch up with your favourite dancers...

SATURDAY WORKSHOPS:
Saturday 5th February: (Venue: Ramada Jarvis Hotel, 43-45 Market Street)
* 11.00am to 1.00pm: Swing Seduction! - Using Swing techniques to improve control, balance and flow.\0 Teacher: Marc & Rachel.
* 2.00pm to 4.00pm: Illusion Jive. Impossible looking moves and clever leading / following tricks - Pure Magic! Teacher: Marc & Rachel.

SATURDAY PARTY:
Saturday5th February: The best party in the best venue ever!
Dancing from 8.00pm 'til 1.00am... Venue: Beach Ballroom, Beach Boulevard.

SUNDAY WORKSHOPS:
Sunday 6th February: (Venue: The Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road)
* 11.00am to 1.00pm: Cuban Blues - Sensual moves with a Latin feel and footwork. Teacher: Marc & Rachel.
* 2.00pm to 4.00pm: Chain Reaction - Beyond Double Trouble - Dancing with more than 2 partners, learn to lead and follow at the same time. Teacher: Marc & Rachel.

SUNDAY PARTY:
Sunday 6th February: Chill & Blues night. 7.00pm 'til Midinight. (Venue: The Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road)
Mellow music and a Blues class to bring the week-end to a smooth and sexy finish... Venue: Northern Hotel.

Bookings via email or over the phone (01324-613 209)
Admission for the Saturday Night party will be by ticket only (as the venue will sell-out). Tickets are £10.00.
Tickets for the Friday & Sunday parties are £7.00 each.
Each 2 hour workshop costs 12.50 per person

Alternatively, you can choose from 2 package deals:

Bronze package: Any 2 workshops + Saturday party for £30.00
Silver package: Any 2 workshops + any 2 parties for £35.00
Silver Plus: Any 2 workshops + all parties for £40.00
Gold package: All workshops + Saturday party for £50.00.
Gold Plus: All workshops + any 2 parties for £55.00
Platinum package: All workshops + All Parties for £60.00

Numbers will be limited, so make sure you book as early as possible. You can book by email ( beach@cerocscotland.com ) or phone 01324-613 209.

drathzel
10th-January-2005, 10:39 PM
woohoo! Looking forward to it! May only be able to do one day but i am def coming!!

Cant wait to see you all there!! :hug:

Gadget
18th-January-2005, 12:43 PM
Anyone traveling from/to manchester - if so, by which mode?
{I find myself with the prospect of employment in that area, but need to work out a way down to meet people and back again... with the minimum of expenses :blush:}

Monika
18th-January-2005, 12:51 PM
Gadget
If you're stuck you can travel with Megabus Aberdeen to/from Manchester from £ 1 to £ 12,- each way depending on when you book tickets.
http://www.megabus.com

Take care
Mon :)

Gus
18th-January-2005, 02:05 PM
Gadget at our venues .... NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Only joking :wink: Come on down , the natives are friendly and we have already tempted Roy Boy and Laura .... many more to follow!

Anyone traveling from/to manchester - if so, by which mode?
{I find myself with the prospect of employment in that area, but need to work out a way down to meet people and back again... with the minimum of expenses :blush:}

Gadget
18th-January-2005, 02:52 PM
what can I say? the competition up here is so good that I need to move south in order to look better. {:rofl:}

Magic Hans
23rd-January-2005, 11:23 PM
I'll be there!!!!!

I hope!!

Thermals, and thermals to keep my thermals warm!! .... oh, and a bit o' brandeee too!!
Armed with several (thousand) layers of clothing!!

[Just hope all you Scots haven't deserted the place for Scarborough!!]

Tiggerbabe
25th-January-2005, 01:18 AM
Don't worry - no way we'd miss the chance to dance at the Beach Ballroom.

I managed to get a dance with Marc at the weekend :drool: :drool: and can't wait for the workshops - am hoping to get loads of style tips from Rachel who looked fab, as ever :hug:

drathzel
25th-January-2005, 09:49 AM

I'll be there even if i'm only an honourary scot!!!

azande
1st-February-2005, 02:19 PM
FRIDAY NIGHT WARM-UP PARTY:
Friday 4th February - 8.00pm to 1.00am: (Venue: The Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road)

SATURDAY PARTY:
Saturday5th February: The best party in the best venue ever!
Dancing from 8.00pm 'til 1.00am... Venue: Beach Ballroom, Beach Boulevard.

SUNDAY PARTY:
Sunday 6th February: Chill & Blues night. 7.00pm 'til Midinight. (Venue: The Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road)
Mellow music and a Blues class to bring the week-end to a smooth and sexy finish... Venue: Northern Hotel.

So, what's the DJ line-up?? :wink:

Lory
1st-February-2005, 04:29 PM
I wont know hardly anyone :o

So, if your going and you spot a quiet, shy and retiring person in the corner, that'll be me :blush: please ask me for a dance :flower: pretty please! :flower:

P.s. We'd love some tips on where to go and what to see around the area + places to eat.

I think one day we're planing to go on the 'castle tour' but other than that, we're open to all ideas. :cheers:

azande
1st-February-2005, 05:07 PM
I wont know hardly anyone :o

So, if your going and you spot a quiet, shy and retiring person in the corner, that'll be me :blush: please ask me for a dance :flower: pretty please! :flower:

:rofl: :rofl: YEAH RRRRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
(and you know Aleks and me.. and I promise to ask you for a dance!)

Lory
1st-February-2005, 05:14 PM
:rofl: :rofl: YEAH RRRRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
(and you know Aleks and me.. and I promise to ask you for a dance!)
Ooooh quick but not quick enough young man! I saw the first edit! :wink: :rofl:

Looking forward to catching up with you both! :hug:

Dance Demon
1st-February-2005, 06:36 PM
So, what's the DJ line-up?? :wink:

Don't know about Friday night, but Tiggerbabe & Me on Saturday night.............and me on Sunday :D

azande
1st-February-2005, 06:59 PM
Don't know about Friday night, but Tiggerbabe & Me on Saturday night.............and me on Sunday :D
:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Gadget
1st-February-2005, 10:29 PM
P.s. We'd love some tips on where to go and what to see around the area + places to eat.
From anothr thread about the BB last year...

What sort of food do you like?
If you are looking allong the beach, there is a Harry Ramsdens (over-priced chipper), Cafe Contenental (snacks more than food), TGI Fridays (american), Pizza Hut (doh! {with toppings}), Mambo (inside the arcades - limited menu) as well as Chiquita's (mexican) and Frankie & Bennie's (It's called something like that - Itallian) you mentioned.

If you want to head towards town, at the corner of King Street & Union Street you can have the choice of La Lombada (itallian), KuRy (indian), Xu (Chinese), Archibald Simpsons (brewsters pub grub) and heading down Union street there are a mirriad of eateries to match your tastes.
...Actually, 100yards down from there in the Adelphi (little lane) is a Hungarian restraunt that's quite good.

{BTW This end of town is a 5 min walk from the Patio Hotel... erm, but I walk quite quickly, so perhaps 10min}

and this link (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63064&postcount=15) will take you to a post with a map of some of these.

What to do... the council actually have a decent what's on guide (http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/Whatson/default.asp?version=w) that shows all the exhibitions and stuff. (and you can check the city's web cams to see what the weather (http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/YourCity/Weather/default.asp)'s like... looks like overcast Friday, some rain on Satuday turning to snow on Sunday. The wind is the coldest thing, so make sure you wrap up :D)

DaveD
1st-February-2005, 11:56 PM

Great - that means I'll get to dance with one of the DJ's :wink:

Dance Demon
2nd-February-2005, 12:53 AM
Great - that means I'll get to dance with one of the DJ's :wink:

Do you want to lead or follow.......... :wink:

Mr Fitz
2nd-February-2005, 03:00 AM
So, if your going and you spot a quiet, shy and retiring person in the corner, that'll be me please ask me for a dance pretty please!

Hi Lory,

Would be delighted to come and find you for a dance. The beach ballroom is round, it aint got no corners, there is no place to hide, :D

I think one day we're planing to go on the 'castle tour' but other than that, we're open to all ideas.

Right, Castles? We got heaps, take your pick,

Dunnottar Castle, 15 miles south of Aberdeen, 9th Century castle on a prominent cliff face jutting out to the sea. Worth a nice amble about the ruins.

Slains Castle 20 miles north of Aberdeen. Slightly longer walk out to the castle along the cliff tops, great scenery, again the castle is in ruins, built in granite in 16th and 19th Century.

Crathes Castle, 15miles west of Aberdeen, 17th Century Castle, in full working order but more a large baronial house than proper castle. It has a ghost. Not sure if the castle or gardens are open this time of year but worth a wander round the grounds.

Drum Castle, 10 miles west of Aberdeen. Again not sure if it is open this time of year and not been there myself so not sure what it is like.

Kildrummy Castle, 30 miles west of Aberdeen. 13th Century ruins of a castle, but baronial house was built next to it at the beginning of the 1900’s serving as swanky hotel. Might be the place to go for a wander round and afternoon tea.

However, depending on the time available, or if you want to stay in Aberdeen I would recommend heading over to Old Aberdeen, having a quick look around the 15th Century Kings College, from there a nice long walk takes you over to the beach front, all the way along the prom (past the Beach Ballroom!) and over to Footdee (pronounced fitty) a small 19th Century fishing village. Cute little houses the size of shoeboxes, all built round the village church. You’ll feel like a giant walking round there.

And now for food.

Aberdeen has the highest rate of heart disease in Christendom. So that should tell you something about the local cuisine. It’s lethal. :eek: You could try a couple of delicacies while you are here. A “White Pudding Supper” from either The Ashvale or Dolphin chippers (two of the finest in the land) will take about 3 months off your life. Basic formation is oatmeal and salt, bound together with fat, made into a sausage shape, covered in batter, deep fat fried and served with a side order of chips. Best consumed after a night of binge drinking waiting for a taxi. Next, do not leave without sampling a Rowie. A mini cow-pat shaped morning roll, fortified with the requisite heart-stopping fat, salt and sugar. I think they are great I consume loads, and so have no intention of living til I am hundred, old, senile and dribbly. :devil:

Restaurants :

These are my faves, and also the favourites of the discerning diner in Aberdeen so best to book early. Good value for money and less chance of a coronary. All are more or less centre town (the ones Gadget mentioned are all either beach front or east side of town).

Rustico 42 Union Row, (Aberdeen code 01224) 658444 : Real Italian restaurant, run by real Italians. No pizza but the best pasta in town by a long shot. Many other meat and fish dishes. Never had a bad meal there.

Foyer, 82 Crown Street 582277. Best restaurant in town IMHO. Gallery type restaurant, bright and modern, varied menu, bistro type food with veg options. Sensible mainly New World wine list. :worthy:

Howies, 50 Chapel Street 639500. Set 2 course/3 course menu. Again v good bistro type food with modern décor surrounding.

Barry’s Bistro 75 Holburn Street 594800. If you fancy a pizza and a change from Pizza Express (402 Union Street 649511) then barry is your man. Does a lot of other good food as well (usual fajita type stuff). Probably slightly cheaper than the rest but still good.

Nargile Meze Bar Café and Takeaway 3 Rose Street 624203. The cheap and cheerful option, does great mezes, and brilliant Turkish food, kebabs etc. There is no licence so take your own booze and they charge corkage (there are off-licences round the corner). Word of warning it might be the place to go to before you get ready to go out. You are more or less dining in a kebab shop, and the smell will linger slightly on you clothes (if you care!).

Best curry houses (although probably can’t compare on price or quality with curry houses all points south) are Blue Moon 11 Holburn Street 589988, or Kury 22 King St 645015 I would give them the edge probably just cos the décor is a bit more modern than the usual red flock wallpaper.

Happy eating… :cheers:

Minnie M
2nd-February-2005, 09:53 AM
.........Right, Castles? We got heaps, take your pick......................now for food.......Restaurants.......Best curry houses ...........

Wow ! What a great post I WANT TO GO TO :yeah: :yeah: :worthy: :cheers:

(gissa a job :tears: )

drathzel
2nd-February-2005, 10:01 AM
Only two days to go!!! WOO HOO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I intend to have bliming good time! See you all on the dance floor!!! :hug:

Bill
2nd-February-2005, 10:13 AM
Only two days to go!!! WOO HOO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I intend to have bliming good time! See you all on the dance floor!!! :hug:

so cna I have a dance this time :whistle: ..... hold a dandelion up and I'll see where you are :D

Bill
2nd-February-2005, 10:16 AM

excellent ....... some wonderful smooth sounds for a Sunday........ I can get on to the floor and just sway all night :D :whistle:

drathzel
2nd-February-2005, 10:24 AM
so cna I have a dance this time :whistle: ..... hold a dandelion up and I'll see where you are :D

I'll be the one hugging a bubble!!! :rofl:

He he! I better get my dances this time! :angry:

:hug:

Lory
2nd-February-2005, 11:20 AM
Wow thank you so much Gadget and Mr Fitz :cheers: :hug:

Well after reading those posts, I'm really getting in the mood!

I'm slightly worried about travelling on Easyjet in a massive fur coat though but it wont go in the suitcase :rofl: and it looks like i'm going to need it judging by the weather reports, -3 :what: (i'm such a wimp in the cold)

Whenever I travel, I always like to sample something of the local cuisine but finding it hard to sum up any enthusiasm for that 'white pudding supper' :sick: Do you think they might do a side salad to go with it? :blush: :D

Bill
2nd-February-2005, 11:48 AM
Well after reading those posts, I'm really getting in the mood!

I'm slightly worried about travelling on Easyjet in a massive fur coat though but it wont go in the suitcase :rofl: :D

In the mood for what Lory ??? Will be great to see you again and have a few dances. There's a saying up here about women and fur coats ...perhaps most often ascribed to Edinburgh 'ladies' :whistle: :innocent:

Bill
2nd-February-2005, 11:51 AM
I'll be the one hugging a bubble!!! :rofl:

:hug:

hugging a bubble ?? :what: ..... so do I have to dance with the bubble as well ????

Gadget
2nd-February-2005, 12:29 PM
Slains Castle 20 miles north of Aberdeen. Slightly longer walk out to the castle along the cliff tops, great scenery, again the castle is in ruins, built in granite in 16th and 19th Century.
^ Cruden bay :cool: picturesque, long sandy beach, little harbour, big waves, excelent golf course {seemingly}. Just look here (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/crudenbay/crudenbay/) and you will have seen it without being buffeted by north-sea winds and enjoying the serenity.

The other castles are either in well kept grounds or are in (fairly) good order themselves.

However, depending on the time available, or if you want to stay in Aberdeen...
Can I add to that a visit to the art gallary and maritime museam. Interesting and out of the weather. (Aberdeen University had a medical museam with bits floating in jars that was open to the public, but I don't know if it is still there.)

And now for food....
from either The Ashvale or Dolphin chippers (two of the finest in the land) ... {Nonsense; Mike's is better - just not as central. And you have to have a Sizzler's burger; flame grilled infront of you... best in the land :drool:}
...Next, do not leave without sampling a Rowie. .... {recommend you have a drink to hand - they are a bit salty.}
...Restaurants : ...(the ones Gadget mentioned are all either beach front or east side of town). {because at that time, most folks were staying in the Patio; the ones I mentioned are within reasonable walking distance.}
Missed of that list were a couple of excelent italian places; Carmen's (just up from the library) is a small bistro/cafe that you always have to wait to get seated.
And there is another (even smaller) delacatecence {?} that has a picknick bench and the owner cooks for you - slightly off the beaten track being just down from the Argyle Place junction on Westburn Road.

See you at the BB. :waycool:

{Oh, and if you don't fancy a white pudding, there is always a red one - same sort of thing clotted with blood. Or a Haggis...:devil:}

drathzel
2nd-February-2005, 01:40 PM
hugging a bubble ?? :what: ..... so do I have to dance with the bubble as well ????

Only if you promise not to burst it!!! :hug:

Petal
2nd-February-2005, 06:09 PM

Oohh, i wish i was going to be there. :sad:

Sal
2nd-February-2005, 06:32 PM
Missed of that list were a couple of excelent italian places; Carmen's (just up from the library) is a small bistro/cafe that you always have to wait to get seated.

You mean Carmine's!

Gadget
2nd-February-2005, 06:43 PM
:innocent: me, spell, :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-February-2005, 03:13 AM
Lory - Can't wait to see you - you are gonna have such a great weekend - dances with Franck, Bill and Mr Fitz - whooo hooo! :wink:

Bill
3rd-February-2005, 11:55 AM
Lory - Can't wait to see you - you are gonna have such a great weekend - dances with Franck, Bill and Mr Fitz - whooo hooo! :wink:

You mean triple trouble ???? Who's leading ?? :sick: :whistle: Don't want to appear greedy but I want Lory all to myself :D :wink: Franck and Mr Fitz can wait :na:

Aleks
3rd-February-2005, 02:28 PM
Would any forumites living in Aberdeen or thereabouts have a floor/sofa/bed for two weary dancers on Sunday night? DD is playing blues and we don't want to miss it!

:plead: :beg: :grovel:

Bill
3rd-February-2005, 05:51 PM
Would any forumites living in Aberdeen or thereabouts have a floor/sofa/bed for two weary dancers on Sunday night? DD is playing blues and we don't want to miss it!

:plead: :beg: :grovel:

I have a double bed ..... well actually two if you count the spare room. The two of you are free to stay the night.

Aleks
4th-February-2005, 10:33 AM
I have a double bed ..... well actually two if you count the spare room. The two of you are free to stay the night.

Thank you! :kiss: :kiss: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: . :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-February-2005, 03:54 PM
Hope you all have a good time - don't do anything i wouldnt do :) That means you Bill :D

Zebra Woman
4th-February-2005, 03:58 PM
:clap: Have a great time everyone, I wish I was there :clap:

Do everything I would do (that means you Lory :devil: )

ZW :hug:

Bill
5th-February-2005, 01:03 AM
Thank you! :kiss: :kiss: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: . :flower:

oh bugger ....now I have to clean the spare room !!!!!!!!!!!!!! just hope the cat isn't sick again !!!!!! :whistle: :sick:

DaveD
5th-February-2005, 10:29 AM
Do you want to lead or follow.......... :wink:

Definitley need practice at following - now there's a thought - maybe Tiggerbabe could lead and we could both follow - but then who would do the music :what:

Dave

Bill
7th-February-2005, 10:14 AM
Great weekend ........and what a Sunday night :D :clap:

Absolutely amazing set from Mr DD :cheers: and so many wonderful dancers ...even though wasn't that busy which meant even more room on the dance floor !!!!!

Just how hot can you get on a dance floor :what: :whistle:

Gadget
7th-February-2005, 11:27 AM
You know that feeling after really great sex where your body feels all tingly, sore but nice, knackered but alive, over-used but wanting more, unable to move without discovering another muscle you didn't know you had... and you are just wallowing in the warm lethargy with a grin that won't go away?
If not, then you either haven't had great sex, or you haven't been to a weekend of dance like the one up here. :D

To be quite honest, I'm having difficulty separating all the dancing into different days;
Friday night:
Started with Frank and Sheena playing some smooth tunes with the occasional track to quicken the pulse. I think that there was a party in Dundee, so the numbers were intimate. Nice, gentle ease back into dancing after a forced abstinence. Introduced into Marc's concept of partner sharing/swapping... which was then in evidence thought the weekend. {car keys in a bowl? :devil: :rofl:...see workshop on Sunday}

Saturday's workshops:
SwingJive - I'm still a bit unsure of what exactly distinguishes "swing" from "jive" except the posture and the footwork. {footwork :mad: the devil's invention. :na: bah.} There was mention of more 'open' moves with few turns and returns. The concept was also given of having different collection of moves for different styles of music and just swapping between sets. For me, the lines are too blurred to segregate moves like this - moves should match the music, but the same move can be worked to match any music IMHO.

Illusion Jive- Brilliant. Now the rest of Scotland has been shown how to do the 'special' moves from my repertoire. :tears: ... then again I nicked them from Marc in the first place :innocent: {Just have to come up with some new ones now :waycool:}
The 'illusion' is that you have to be a contortionist to do these moves - the moves where your partner goes "what was that?" and watching people go "how did he do that?"
As with all of Marc's teachings, he is a great believer in the 'slotted' method of dancing, and most of the routines taught in classes and workshops thought the weekend had moves that reinforced this. A lot of the style was a smoothness evolved from cutting out returns and melding moves.

Saturday PARTY: Mr Demon & Ms Sheena mixed some great music. There seemed to be a slight imbalance of men to women... choices, choices, choices... :sigh: such a hardship with so many lovely ladies clad in such 'tactile' materials...
...anyway, dance floor was great, not too crowded and not empty. My toes got trod on by my partners more than by anyone else {my fault for mirroring too closley}... and :blush: apologies to Alex. I did offer to kiss you all better... :innocent:{:drool::drool:}
If I didn't dance with you, :tears: I'll try and catch you next time. If I did, :grin:...Linda's birthday dance was more of this partner swapping and a great way to ease everyone into dancing form the class.

Sunday workshops:
Cuban blues - {I think that was the title} I can't say much about the workshop since I wasn't there, but I'm informed that the moves were more of the slotted style and 'tracking' your partner.

Beyond double trouble - Sort of misleading title, but basically stealing other dancer's partners while still dancing. It's a fun concept and still in development; I want to discuss a few ideas with Marc before going into more detail. I think that I'm safe in saying that everyone really enjoyed that workshop and I think Glasgow better be prepared for a bit of disruption :D

Sunday PARTY:
Dance Demon's smooth music was just the thing to wind down on. I blame it on the company and the music, but as the night progressed my dancing got a lot <strike>slea</strike>blusier. Slinky people, slinky music. Huge round of applause for Demon's selection at the end of a weekend that would have lasted days... had we not all got jobs to go to to pay for the next one.

:worthy: to Franck, Marc and Rachel. I could mention a few others {Drathzell, Cheeks, Lorry, Alex, Kay, .... } but I would miss everyone else that I had a great time dancing with, so :hug::kiss::hug: and thanks all who made it such an amazing weekend.

Kay
7th-February-2005, 12:41 PM
Well done Franck, another great weekend :worthy: Didn't get to Marc & Rachel's workshops but the classes they did at the parties were really cool! :waycool: It was lovely to dance with you Marc :nice: and thanks to all the other guys that I danced with :clap: The blues party last night was a fantastic way to end the weekend with some great tracks, thanks DD :clap: Roll on April!
Kay.

Bill
7th-February-2005, 05:48 PM
I know I joked about seeing the playlist at the end of the night but did you happen to make a note of the tracks Mr DD ???????? I can't even remember who sang that track I asked you about. :sick:

As someone I know very well would have said ...it was 'fabby' :clap:

Little Monkey
7th-February-2005, 07:03 PM
As someone I know very well would have said ...it was 'fabby' :clap:

:yeah:

What a great night I had on Saturday!!!!! :clap: :clap: Thanks to DD and Tiggerbabe for fantastic music - don't think you played a single track I didn't like.... :worthy: By the way, Tiggerbabe: Your outfit on Sat night was GORGEOUS!!! Where did you get those trousers??? :drool:

Thanks to all the guys who danced with me... Had a couple of very interesting dance with Marc...... Never danced with someone who keeps their eyes shut throughout the whole dance before..... :rofl:

Oh, and very nice to meet you, Magic Hans! Enjoyed the dances and the silly conversations! :D

Little Monkey :flower:

Lory
7th-February-2005, 07:55 PM
I've just arrived home from the most wonderful weekend, I don't see how it could have been better...

Friday morning, whilst waiting to board the plane at Luton, we bumped into Marc and Rachel, Marc was sooo excited, it was infectious and it was great to have such lively company to share the journey with. :clap:

The Patio Hotel was lovely and let us check in really early, then we had a brief wander round the town but headed back deciding to start the weekend off in the right mood by using all the 'spa' facilities... mmm

Friday night was a nice gentle introduction to the weekend, I met Magic Hans for the first time and we had a great dinner in the La Lombada restaurant.
We headed straight on to the Northern for the first night, where Franck was in charge of the decks, what a lovely introduction to the weekend, just the right lighting and ambience to set the scene for some friendly icebreaking, I think (hope) I got to dance with everyone

Saturday, we did some fabulous sightseeing, we headed for Stonehaven and stumbled across Dunnottar Castle, what an amazing place this is, set on an enormous flat-topped rock, with sheer cliffs all around and jutting out into the north sea. Most famous for, a small garrison holding out against the might of Cromwell's army for eight months and saving the Scottish Crown Jewels, the 'Honours of Scotland', from destruction.
It was truly breathtaking, we had the place to our selves in the beautiful shimmering sun! Warning, the climb back up the cliff steps nearly killed me! :sick:

Saturday night, the dance was held in the Beach Ballroom, this venue has the most amazing floor, its like a trampoline, I sat out for a couple of dances and really enjoyed a relaxing 'bounce' in my chair, no joke! :grin:

The music was a great mixture of old and new, smooth and jumping, something for everyone played by the one and only Tiggerbabe :waycool: and the lovely Dance Demon! :cheers:

Then onto the party after the party (in Sheena's room) the Champagne was flowing, (so was Jack :o ) the shoes were off and Sheena was in Pj's :na: and I have to confess, I can't remember much more than that! :blush:

Sunday, I don't know how but we managed to make it to breakfast, then we headed off through Deeside and onto Braemar, passing Balmoral (apparently prince william was there with his girlfriend, for some reason they didn't fancy inviting us in :confused: ) our journey followed the River Dee all the way, we had Stovies for lunch, I don't know why but I was under the impression I was going to get some kind of Sandwich but it turned out to be a bit like a school dinner styley shepherds pie! :rofl:

Then onto Sunday night (hmmmm eyes glazing over) I can't praise DanceDemon highly enough, I thought I died and gone to heaven with the set he played, so much stuff I'd never heard before, this man is a genius! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

At one point I said I wish I could bottle the feeling, and all agreed!

Special thanks goes to Franck and Sheena and all the Scots for making us feel so welcome. :hug: Drathzel for the lift back to the hotel on Sunday night, MagicHans, Rachel and Marc for being such great company and to all the men I danced with, especially the ones I danced over and over again with... Bill, Azande and Mr Fitz. :hug: to you all! :yum: :drool: :yum: (it's a hard life :rolleyes: :D )

The highlight of my weekend has to be the double trouble dance I had with with Aleks and Bill, pure delight! :waycool:

Tiggerbabe
7th-February-2005, 08:59 PM
............ home from the most wonderful weekend, I don't see how it could have been better...
Well for me, the only way it could have been better was if I'd been able to stay for the Sunday party (although we did get a sample of DD's music as we were sharing pizza after Sunday's workshop :D )

What an awesome weekend, it was fab to have Marc and Rachel back teaching again and the workshops were brilliant! I have to admit my favourite was the Cuban Blues on Sunday morning :drool: :drool: ...... fantastic routine and all the guys were soooooo smooth.

Sunday afternoon's shenannigans were an absolute hoot, with everyone enjoying a fine mix of great dancing, great music and lots of laughter. :clap:

I thoroughly enjoyed Friday night's party in the Northern, as Lory said it had a perfect welcoming atmosphere and was a fab intro to the weekend. Great music from Franck with the odd :rofl: track chosen by Marc.

Saturday in the Beach Ballroom started on a high and just got better and better. Marc's fun class was exactly that (everyone's now practising their shimmying for his next visit) and Linda's (Aberdeen venue manager) birthday dance, instigated by Marc, was a joy to watch. By the end of it nearly everyone in the room was dancing :D

Had a fab time dj-ing, so many other cool/hot/groovy tunes I never got round to playing :blush: DD and I were speaking about it afterwards and we probably could have kept going all weekend :wink:

Huge thanks to everyone I danced with :hug: and I have to say that one of the smoothest dances I had all weekend was with Steven (Mr Lory) on Saturday night :drool: That man's ssssmmmmmoooooooth - watch out Gilbert :wink: he's after your title.

So many special "after-party" party moments - but the highlight for me was watching Marc demolishing a whole plate of sandwiches meant for 4!!!!!!!
Lory - bring pjs next time :wink:

And thanks DD for the note that said "press the big one" :worthy: :kiss:

Special thanks goes to Franck and Sheena and all the Scots for making us feel so welcome.
It was great to see you and Steven, Lory, and hopefully you'll come back again soon.

Rachel and Marc :hug:

Magic Hans - lovely to meet (and dance with) you too :hug:

foxylady
7th-February-2005, 09:30 PM
............ and to all the men I danced with, especially the ones I danced over and over again with... Bill, Azande and Mr Fitz. :hug: to you all! :yum: :drool: :yum: (it's a hard life :rolleyes: :D )

The highlight of my weekend has to be the double trouble dance I had with with Aleks and Bill, pure delight! :waycool:

Now I'm told that Mr Fitz is :waycool: :drool: :whistle: ... When can we persuade him down south, or am I going to have to wait for the next BFG ?

Tiggerbabe
7th-February-2005, 10:37 PM
Now I'm told that Mr Fitz is :waycool: :drool: :whistle: ... When can we persuade him down south, or am I going to have to wait for the next BFG ?
Saturday 23rd April, Aberdeen Beach Ballroom Party Week-end.............need I say more? :wink: :hug: :kiss:

drathzel
7th-February-2005, 10:59 PM
Fantastic...amazing...excellent...fabulous....supe rb... what more can be said!

Thanks to Rachel and Marc for excellent workshops

and to everyone who i danced with i had some (most of them) brillliant dances!

To DD and sheena for wonderful, so completely dancable music

and to franck... just for being franck!

Dx :hug:

Dance Demon
8th-February-2005, 01:13 AM
well .....I had a great weekend. Great company, Two fantastic venues, and loads of fab dances. Only sorry Mrs DD wasn't there, as i would have done the workshops too. Marc and Rachel...respect. Although I didn't actually take part in the workshops, what I saw was fantastic, and watching you dance to the tango tracks was WOW :drool: :drool: .......
Tiggerbabe....was a pleasure to share the decks with you on Saturday night. Was nice to get to dance to kenny G for a change....and you played some top choons :clap: ....
Was great to see Lory & Steve again. had a right few laffs, 'specially at the after party party on saturday night........Lory, your Steve is a real diamond geezer
Cheeks & Drathzel......great fun....hope you got home OK.....and ta for the fab dances. Also had fab dances with Heather, and Little Monkey, and lots of other lovely ladies.
Franck.....well done yet again for another great Scottish Weekender :waycool:
Thanks for all the kind comments re Sunday nights music. If you enjoyed it half as much as I did, then I enjoyed it twice as much as you. The atmosphere , the surroundings, and the company was perfect, and I just sat back with a few pints of Guinness, and played all my favourite chillout stuff.Then at the end of the night, i switched off the decks and went upstairs to bed :waycool:

PS..........Sheena......keep pushing the big one :wink: :rofl:

cheeks
8th-February-2005, 12:50 PM
:clap: :clap:

What a fabulous weekend!

Saturday Party.....Sheena and DD fantastic set as always and so many suberb dances to many to mention all the names but wow :flower: :hug:
Also to Aleks :wink: for nearly pulling off what material I did have on (it was a skirt honest :really: ) :devil: You looked fab as always babe. :hug:

Sheena gorgeous as always baby! :wink:

Franck as always sexy as ever but how you could have been still drinking from the bottle at end of night I'll never now :whistle:

Sunday: although tired was one of the most enjoyable!Everyone was just so chilled. Marc and Rachel your workshops were fantastic.(Although my friends have been looking at me funny when I was describing our afternoon workshop.mm.... :clap: their loss.)Now Marc what other male except Franck would have got away with that! and 15 women yes definately a record. :rofl: :worthy:

After workshop and sharing pizzas we contimplated the evening ahead and all enjoyed a gentle taster of the music ahead from DD.....although I don't actually think I stopped dancing as didn't want to fall asleep and miss anything and wow was that a night to remember.

Thanks to DD for lending us his room to get ready. :hug:

:hug: to everyone for fab night and Gadget,Bill,Marc,DD,Ian,Maxx,Azande and all you fab men.... :drool: wow what can I say what a night.

Lory and Steve was great to see you both looking fab as always. Will have to get myself down to London soon.

And D :flower: thankyou for fab dances,company and transport babe. :hug: :kiss:

To Franck :worthy: :hug: :kiss: :hug: and the team Well done for yet another fantastic event.

Cheeks. :yeah:

Franck
8th-February-2005, 06:42 PM
Once again, the Beach Ballroom, dancers from Scotland, visitors and guests delivered a fantastic week-end.
I danced my socks off, hardly slept, learnt loads and spent quality time with friends... How lucky can one guy get? :wink:

Friday night, was ideal to start off the week-end, and meet our Southern visitors for several fab dances, Lory and Steven were in top form and Magic Hans proved a top guy keeping all our women happy! Marc and Rachel were as cool and stylish as ever and the follow-up after party party was so chilled (except for fighting over the sandwiches).

Saturday went so quickly, with the BBC Fitness Challenge in the Bon Accord Centre, took us right back to the first ever busk in Aberdeen almost 8 years ago...Thanks to everyone who helped and missed the first half of the workshop.
Marc had so much to teach, at the workshops, and many of the moves / concepts he demonstrated were in evidence at the Beach Ballroom party which is always a good sign.
Music on the Saturday night was brilliant, but the best part was the company, so many beautiful dancers, so little time, I barely had a chance to catch my breath, but no complaints there!

More partying and Champagne back in the Patio, great fun as ever!

Sunday morning, and we began with the Cuban Blues workshop and Wow! How sexy! I had the best 2 hours ever! Thanks ladies, you made my morning. Sunday afternoon was hilarious and introduced new ideas for everyone.

I wish I could have stayed for the Sunday night party, judging by the reports, it was a great bluesy night... Maybe next time!

Thanks to everyone for their help, support and dances over the week-end, and thank you to all our 'foreign' visitors for taking the trouble to visit Scotland! :hug:

Aleks
9th-February-2005, 11:05 AM
Now that I've caught up with some sleep......thanks to everyone for a very special weekend.

To Skippy and Bill - thanks for the fab hospitality. I hope to offer something at least half as good when you're in need of a bed in Edinburgh.

To everyone I danced with - :drool:, and a special :hug: for DD for the fab music on Sunday night.

Anything else I wanted to say has already been posted by at least one other person, so :yeah: !

:flower:

Lory
10th-February-2005, 12:55 PM
Apart from the obvious, friendliness of the people, great dances, etc., I'd like to share some of the reasons I've fallen in love with Scotland :flower:

Explained here in some of the photo's I took over the Beach Ballroom Weekend! :nice:

(unfortunately i've had to reduce the quality a bit for the forum)

Dunnottar Castle.

Lory
10th-February-2005, 01:04 PM
Near Balmoral and the River Dee :)

Lory
10th-February-2005, 01:23 PM
River Dee

Lory
10th-February-2005, 01:28 PM
River Dee

cheeks
10th-February-2005, 01:44 PM
Makes you realise what a beautiful place we have right on our doorstep :D ........and here I am stuck in front of a computer.... :sad: :tears:

Fab pics Lory looks as good as you both described on Sunday....were glad you fell in love with Scotland... :clap: :D

Dance Demon
10th-February-2005, 09:12 PM
Apart from the obvious, friendliness of the people, great dances, etc., I'd like to share some of the reasons I've fallen in love with Scotland :flower:

Yep Lory. The two times you have been up here, you have been fortunate enough to get weather that let you see the true beauty of the Scottish countryside. Now you know why Queen Victoria chose Balmoral as her Scottish residence, and why the Royals spend so much time there. Hope you come up often and see even more spectacular scenery. We'll get you living up here yet :wink:

drathzel
11th-February-2005, 03:47 AM
Well Lory we'll just have to organise a little event in Glasgow so you can see our* part of the country! and if you need a tour guide just give me a shout i love this place soooo much!!!

*when i say our i am refering to myself as an honourary scot! :hug:

Magic Hans
3rd-March-2005, 12:59 PM
Finally got round to singing my praises, and send my thanks and good wishes for this weekend!!!

It was only after returning to Nottingham dance venues, did I truly realise how spoilt I'd been at up at Aberdeen!

Some wonderfully expressive dancing .... plus some gorgeous droolable Scottish lasses!!

Gadget - as charming, fun, and stlyish as I might have guess from the forum
Tiggerbabe - great to meet up again - you're such fun!
Cheeky Monkey - lovely to see you, and dance with you at the Ballroom.
Michelle - wonderfully expressive dancing .... loved it! [is she on the forum??]
Lorna - great little dance on the Thursday - missed you at the weekend! :tears:
Lisa - Great to see, surprise (and dance with) you on the Wednesday!!! :na: really sorry not to see you for the rest of the weekend!! :tears:
Drathzel - Pretty as a picture, and certainly prettier than your picture!!! Dangerous temptation to the likes of me!! :eek:
Dance Demon - some wonderfully inspired music choices ... not that I like them all, but your overall selection was out of the top drawer!!
Lory - great to meet you at last (and Pete). We had some wonderful dances together.
Franck - Superb host, your carefree (and sincere) manner is one to be proud of!! Aberdeen (and Scotland for that manner) is blessed to have you!!
Marc and Rachel - wonderful teaching. I am a real fun of contemporary teaching styles, that draw on the existing skills already available. The 2nd Sunday workshop was so much fun!!!

Anyone else I've forgotten - thank from the bottom of my heart for helping to make the weekend special!!

3 special mentions to:

a) the heroine addict who commented on my top. He seemed such a nice bloke, and certainly not what I'd expect from a drug addict (unless he was lying!)

b) The glaswegian at Donohue's (Mike, I think his name was) who walked up to me (where I was sat on my own in my b/w combat trousers), chatted drunkedly for a little while, bought me a drink, then returned to his mates!!

c) The other (more) drunken glaswegian in some American type bar who gave me what for (I think - never really got hold of his accent!!) about unions, and why I shouldn't be an anarchist!!!

See you all (or some of you) at Southport, or the next BFG!!!

Ian
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Lory
3rd-March-2005, 01:15 PM
Lory - great to meet you at last (and Pete). We had some wonderful dances together.

Pete??? :eek: Shhh, don't tell Steve! :wink: :rofl:

Gadget
3rd-March-2005, 01:34 PM
Gadget - as charming, fun, and stlyish as I might have guess from the forum
:blush: Thank you, but you sure you didn't meet an alter-ego?

{"charming" :rofl: "stylish" :rofl: :rofl:}

Glad you had a good time as well :D :clap:

drathzel
3rd-March-2005, 07:01 PM
Magic Hans,

Firstly :blush: ! Thank you!

Secondly :blush:! I have to admit that i didn't realise that it was you until the sunday evening!

It was really good to meet another forumite and had many wonderful dances!

Hope to see you soon!

Magic Hans
4th-March-2005, 12:44 PM
Pete??? :eek: Shhh, don't tell Steve! :wink: :rofl:

Doh!! I always get those names mixed up!

:blush: :blush: