PDA

View Full Version : A list dancers

Lory
10th-January-2005, 02:43 PM
Following on from Gus's thread 'Price for and 'A list' workshop, it got me thinking, not only are there so called 'A list'/named' teachers, IMO there's also 'A list/named' dancers.

When deciding where to go for an evenings dancing or weekender, I have a glance at who'll be teaching but that's mainly to get a clue as to which dancers will be attracted to the event.

People I know that, if they're there, it will be a better night, a better atmosphere and attract other 'A listers', and a snowball effect happens.

For me, yes, its great if there's a really good or fun teacher but my evenings only really made, if there's a good proportion of good dancers to dance with, during the class and after in freestyle.

My 'A list' is definitely NOT only made up with men who are excellent dancers, (although they do feature :wink: ) some are girls I can have a giggle, gossip or dance with and also men who are just friendly and up for a laugh. :clap: :hug:

Does anyone else have their own 'A list' of dancers?

Do organisers try to attract certain 'names'?

Mary
10th-January-2005, 03:19 PM

Yes........................but wouldn't DARE list them on here - I might leave someone off, upset, offend. :flower:

M

Northants Girly
10th-January-2005, 03:37 PM
Does anyone else have their own 'A list' of dancers?It's an awful thing to admit but yes I do - and I'm sure most other dancers do too.
Like Mary says I wouldn't want to list them either but in my case I couldn't as I don't know all their names!

Northants Girly
10th-January-2005, 05:11 PM
It's an awful thing to admit but yes I do - and I'm sure most other dancers do too.
Like Mary says I wouldn't want to list them either but in my case I couldn't as I don't know all their names!I also know that one of my "A list" members is convinced that he is only on a certain dancers "B list" though as he feels he only gets a dance off her when her "A list" is not in attendance :sad:

(Names withheld :wink: )

Gus
11th-January-2005, 01:28 AM
My 'A list' is definitely NOT only made up with men who are excellent dancers, (although they do feature :wink: ) some are girls I can have a giggle, gossip or dance with and also men who are just friendly and up for a laugh. :clap: :hug: ?Most definitely ... one of the Dancers who is always on my A list is 'Lovely Roy' ... he may not be a top competition dnacer but I know that if he's at my venue the ladies will not let him off the dancefloor ... a great relaxed style and always willing to please :wink:

Do organisers try to attract certain 'names'?Yup! Both Cool Catz and Northwich have targetted the best dancers to come to our freestyles ... and have been graced by the likes of Amir, Kate, Viktor, Phil & Yuko and Rachel and Marc ... to name but a few ..... :waycool:

Lory
11th-January-2005, 08:46 AM
Most definitely ... one of the Dancers who is always on my A list is 'Lovely Roy' ... he may not be a top competition dnacer but I know that if he's at my venue the ladies will not let him off the dancefloor ... a great relaxed style and always willing to please :wink:

If that's Roy, as in forumite RoyBoy? Then YES, he's definitly 'A' list! :worthy: :nice:

Andreas
11th-January-2005, 12:44 PM
Yup, I have one of those too. But only for the next two weeks will one of them be actually be in the UK, all the others are on the other side of the globe. So an 'A list' isn't really any good for me :D

philsmove
11th-January-2005, 01:26 PM
For me, yes, its great if there's a really good or fun teacher but my evenings only really made, if there's a good proportion of good dancers to dance with, during the class and after in freestyle.

Does anyone else have their own 'A list' of dancers?...............

Yes I do the same, the A list teachers at a certain venue in Bristol this week will certainly attract my A list Partners

and no I’m not going to say who they are ;)

Trousers
12th-January-2005, 09:43 AM
Is this CEROC SNOBISM??

What about us poor shmucks further up the alphabet?

Lory
12th-January-2005, 10:01 AM
Is this CEROC SNOBISM??

What about us poor shmucks further up the alphabet?Does this list sound snobby then :confused:

My 'A list' is definitely NOT only made up with men who are excellent dancers, (although they do feature :wink: ) some are girls I can have a giggle, gossip or dance with and also men who are just friendly and up for a laugh. :clap: :hug:

I suggest you at least strive to be in the last catagory :flower:

Northants Girly
12th-January-2005, 10:45 AM
I suggest you at least strive to be in the last catagory :flower:Trousers is talking b******s. He knows damn well that he is in loads of folk's "A lists" including mine! :)

MartinHarper
12th-January-2005, 10:55 AM
Do organisers try to attract certain 'names'?

I understand that some "special guests" get given free invites for just those reasons.

Feelingpink
12th-January-2005, 12:52 PM
I definitely have a 'preferred' list ... and for many of the same reasons as Lory ... happy to try out new things, even if they don't work is a big reason :nice:

Gus
12th-January-2005, 01:20 PM
I understand that some "special guests" get given free invites for just those reasons.And why not :waycool: The 'specials' get a free night, the other punters get more good dancers to dance with and the promoters get more dancers coming in .... works for me. Thats how I got my original Northwich freestyle nights off the ground.

David Franklin
12th-January-2005, 01:36 PM
And why not :waycool: The 'specials' get a free night, the other punters get more good dancers to dance with and the promoters get more dancers coming in .... works for me. Thats how I got my original Northwich freestyle nights off the ground.Did you not have trouble with people thinking they should have been judged 'special' but weren't?

Dave

Ste
12th-January-2005, 01:41 PM
In regard to a Gorgeous Gus night, Gus forgot to mention Brit Rock and Bristol Open champ 2003 Will the fellow forumite.

He was there one night with Kate, his partner,and also Amir and Phil and Yuko!

My dance partner also claims to have seen Dave and Lilly at a Gus night as welll!!!!

Gus
12th-January-2005, 01:51 PM
Did you not have trouble with people thinking they should have been judged 'special' but weren't?

DaveOhhhhh yes! There always egos abounding ... usualy from the ones with least reason for it. I'll give you an example ... a certain orgainsation (some time back) tried a mass teacher assessment. Punters put themselves forward ...... and boy was there some BAAAADDD candidates. Part of the application form asked the dancers to rate themselves against one of the current teachers .. .and against a Dance Legend (think it was Nigel). One such chap rated himself as 9 out of 10 against Nigel :eek: So ... yup, do have a few dancers who think they do me a favour when turning up ... my answer is clear ... I can do without people like that regardless of how good a dancer they are (or are not).

Interestingly enough ... without exception all the 'stars' who have turned up at my venue have always tried to pay and have been somewhat embarresed when we let them in free .... shows that they are all still in touch with the real world.

ChrisA
12th-January-2005, 01:55 PM
Did you not have trouble with people thinking they should have been judged 'special' but weren't?

This is starting to edge towards having an overlap with the whole hotshot thing, and I think the answer is similar: anyone who feels they haven't been judged as special when they should have been should act as follows, IMHO:

If they care, get more special. (Become a better dancer, be more friendly, dance with more people, etc, etc.)

If they don't care, well, they obviously do care, else they wouldn't feel hard done by, so see above.

If I was an organiser, I'd probably do exactly as Gus does - everyone is a winner if more good dancers go to a venue. And anyone who got all snotty would be more likely to be moved down, than up, the "special" list. :devil:

This whole A-list thing is much more about people that aren't but would like to be, IMHO, rather than the ones that are. Everyone has their own personal preferences, it's daft to pretend otherwise. Being included is nice, being excluded is not.

Gus
12th-January-2005, 02:05 PM
If I was an organiser, I'd probably do exactly as Gus does - everyone is a winner if more good dancers go to a venue. And anyone who got all snotty would be more likely to be moved down, than up, the "special" list. :devil:.I suppose the reality is that now I dont have to let anyone in for free. I can say without fear of retribution ( :wink: ) that the Cool Catz nights has the best standard of dancing in the North and our Northwich/Winsford nights are not far behind. ANY standard of dancer can now come to our events and have a good night. For a 'normal' freetsyle that includes from new dancers and up.

If someone like Viktor or Nigel turns up I wold feel embaressed to charge them .. if someone like Will turns up I would obviously charge them double (unless I took pity on his mental problem for supporting Man City :wink: )

David Franklin
12th-January-2005, 02:08 PM
This is starting to edge towards having an overlap with the whole hotshot thing, and I think the answer is similar: anyone who feels they haven't been judged as special when they should have been should act as follows, IMHO:But the problem is that probably 50% of dancers think they're in the top 10% of dancers! So although on one level you might say "get over yourselves!",as a venue manager, I would assume the possible consequences of upsetting half your customer base are, um, sub-optimal...

I was just wondering how it worked out in practice, that's all... I suppose on one level it's like picking and choosing taxi-dancers, and that doesn't seem to cause too much trouble. But taxi-dancing is a much more two-edged sword - not that many people want to do it. But I think we could all go for free entry, no strings attached (apart from, "being a better dancer, be more friendly, dance with more people, etc, etc." :wink: )

Dave

ChrisA
12th-January-2005, 02:15 PM
But the problem is that probably 50% of dancers think they're in the top 10% of dancers! So although on one level you might say "get over yourselves!",as a venue manager, I would assume the possible consequences of upsetting half your customer base are, um, sub-optimal...

Yeah, good point.

But is someone who thinks they're far better than they are going to be the sort of person who plays nicely? I mean, an individual at an unnamed venue on Monday night :innocent: comes to mind who was clearly in that category. And he was dangerous. And everyone I spoke to smiled in agreement when I happened to use a word consisting of letters t, o, s, s, e and r, in no particular order :innocent:

So yeah, maybe some of them you don't want to p1ss off, but there'll be a few that you probably do.

Rhythm King
12th-January-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, good point.

But is someone who thinks they're far better than they are going to be the sort of person who plays nicely? I mean, an individual at an unnamed venue on Monday night :innocent: comes to mind who was clearly in that category. And he was dangerous. And everyone I spoke to smiled in agreement when I happened to use a word consisting of letters t, o, s, s, e and r, in no particular order :innocent:

So yeah, maybe some of them you don't want to p1ss off, but there'll be a few that you probably do.

This sounds like a case for secret dance super-hero "Wet Haddock Man"

ChrisA
12th-January-2005, 04:18 PM
This sounds like a case for secret dance super-hero "Wet Haddock Man"

Possibly using the even more secret spiked-club-cunningly-disguised-as-a-wet-haddock device. :devil:

Tazmanian Devil
12th-January-2005, 06:30 PM

That will be yes and no for me, I enjoy dancing all over the place at from venues where I don't think i'm going to know anyone (till I get there and find I actually know one or two people) to my regular venues which I know most people, and they are all just as fun and fulfilling for me. :grin: Although in saying that when I lead a dance there are one or two ladys that are on my A list at my regular venues but thats purely because they are fantastic followers. :kiss: :hug:

Debster
10th-February-2005, 11:50 PM
Possibly using the even more secret spiked-club-cunningly-disguised-as-a-wet-haddock device. :devil:
Egad! :what: Chris! This sounds like floor-rage... I never thought you could harbour such strong ill feeling :really:

Andy McGregor
11th-February-2005, 02:25 AM
So, we have a thread about "A list dancers" but there's no list. Let's start one. I'll nominate five of my favorite partners, not all of them, and not my top five, just the 5 I thought of first*.

Nina Daines
Rob Coward
Linda Ellard
Lily Barker
Sue McGregor (thought I'd better put this one in, or sleep on the sofa :wink: )

So, come on, who are the first 5 that you think of?

*I'm hoping this will allow me to get away with leaving people out.

under par
11th-February-2005, 02:42 AM
So, we have a thread about "A list dancers" but there's no list. Let's start one. I'll nominate five of my favorite partners, not all of them, and not my top five, just the 5 I thought of first*.

Nina Daines
Rob Coward
Linda Ellard
Lily Barker
Sue McGregor (thought I'd better put this one in, or sleep on the sofa :wink: )

So, come on, who are the first 5 that you think of?

*I'm hoping this will allow me to get away with leaving people out.

Nina Daines (awsome dancer teacher, great fun freestyler)

Lily Barker ( WOW!!! What a really special treat for a mere mortal such as I. )

Viktor Andeke ( VIKTOR the only good reason I know to want to be a woman !!! What a mover and teacher :yeah: )

Amir Giles ( On a different plane to most of the rest of us and takes teaching dance to the nth degree of detail. Amazing!!)

and of course it goes without saying (and following in the same vein as Mr Magregor) how could the A LIST survive without the one and only Mrs Par, love of my life. :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Hamish_A
20th-February-2005, 01:28 PM
For my first post - my list of favourites:

Adam & Taz - Wow Wow Wow - Could watch them all night.
Nina - Always a revalation to dance with.
Louise N - A regular dance partner when I was dancing "ooop north".
Lynne - My better half - overtook me on the dance floor a long time ago. Love to dance with her, love to watch her dance.

The list goes on and on - plenty of others - quite a few whose names I don't know.

As a guy I find that usually I am "limited" - i.e. sticking to the core of my repetiore and interpreting the music as best I can. Certain partners lift my dancing to a whole new level - as long as the music is great - with rubbish tracks it's harder to get inspired.

To all those inspirational dancers out there - :worthy: :worthy: