PDA

View Full Version : Kill "The Madison"

Clive Long
10th-January-2005, 12:46 AM
It's line dancing masquerading as fun.

You are all partner dancers. Resist, desist.

If you can't, buy white stilletoes, white handbags and move to Romford.

Clive

CJ
10th-January-2005, 12:58 AM
Would like to congratulate Clive for putting "line dancing" and "fun" in the same sentence. :D

Daisy Chain
10th-January-2005, 01:11 PM

Clive

No need to buy, I have several of each that I can lend to the fashion conscious. Also, several gold lamay (yes I know you don't spell it like that) boob tubes.

Daisy

(A Fashionable Essex Flower)

Dance Demon
10th-January-2005, 02:25 PM

Clive

most swing dances you go to will contain some form of stroll during the evening........Madison, Shim sham, Jitterbug Stroll, Charleston Stroll....all very popular, all great fun........If you don't like it , don't do it.......but don't try to kill off other peoples enjoyment of them. How many times have you been to a night where there are loads of extra women, or men ie with no partners to dance with...but they can do any of the above without a partner

Almost an Angel
10th-January-2005, 03:25 PM
most swing dances you go to will contain some form of stroll during the evening........Madison, Shim sham, Jitterbug Stroll, Charleston Stroll....all very popular, all great fun........If you don't like it , don't do it.......but don't try to kill off other peoples enjoyment of them. How many times have you been to a night where there are loads of extra women, or men ie with no partners to dance with...but they can do any of the above without a partner

:yeah: :yeah: I agree

Maybe those people who diss the strolls haven't had the pleasure of trying to learn one of the strolls taught by Adam & Tas :worthy: :worthy: . I really don't think you could refer to anything choreographed by those to as Line dancing. :confused:
The Perculator and the Be-bop Stroll to name just two. Not to mention the funky routines they come up with for their 'normal' classes. :waycool:

jivecat
10th-January-2005, 03:38 PM

Clive

I thought the Madison Stroll class at Southport Sept, taught by a delightful lady whose name I can't remember, was the most enjoyable of all the workshops.

No need to worry about a partner, no need to worry about doing it right, no need to take it seriously, just pure, uncomplicated fun.

But I'm sure all that practice in footwork, body posture, cordination and timing won't do my partner dancing any harm.

RogerR
10th-January-2005, 08:25 PM
Many events have their strolls The Wanderer comes to mind from Notre Dame. They are socially usefull also as they stir the wallflowers back into the mix they are also great for noncombative dance training - people can look and follow without being dragged about. If you really dont like it get the drinks in, and dont stop others enjoying them.

SwingSwingSwing
10th-January-2005, 09:43 PM
I used to hate doing strolls but I later realised that the reason I hated them was because I couldn't do them confidently.

Once I got the stroll under my belt and didn't have to think about it so much, it became enjoyable and was a chance to practise a little improv.

Much prefer the Shim Sham over the Madison though!

SwingSwingSwing

bobgadjet
10th-January-2005, 10:11 PM

Line dancing IS fun if you are competent enough to be able to learn the routine

:-)

bobgadjet
10th-January-2005, 10:12 PM
Would like to congratulate Clive for putting "line dancing" and "fun" in the same sentence. :D

bobgadjet
10th-January-2005, 10:13 PM
No need to worry about a partner, no need to worry about doing it right, no need to take it seriously, just pure, uncomplicated fun.

Yep

bobgadjet
10th-January-2005, 10:14 PM
If you really dont like it get the drinks in, and dont stop others enjoying them.
Yep

and mine is a rum & coke

bobgadjet
10th-January-2005, 10:16 PM
I used to hate doing strolls but I later realised that the reason I hated them was because I couldn't do them confidently.

Once I got the stroll under my belt and didn't have to think about it so much, it became enjoyable and was a chance to practise a little improv.

Yep

not biased really :whistle:

angelique
11th-January-2005, 12:02 AM

:yeah:

I have to say that as a novice to these dance weekends away, which are great fun but also slightly intimidating to us "newies" it was with great delight I took part in the workshop to learn The Maddison. It was fabulously taught and GREAT fun to participate in and I have to say it was one of the best things I bought away with me from that weekend. :clap: :drool:
Thats by NO means a reflection of the time that I had there wiv me buds and I'm sure some of you will remember the piccies my good partner in crime posted on here to show the world what great fun we had .......eh Lory? :D :hug:
I love doing Ceroc and profess it to be one of the best things I have done in recent years but I thoroughly enjoyed learning to do "The Stroll" and will certainly be keeping an eye out for any other workshops at future weekends away! :clap: :flower:

Where do I sign???????? :wink: :whistle:

RobC
11th-January-2005, 12:52 AM

Hmmm, you think bobgadjet might be a line dancer ? ;)

If you really dont like it get the drinks in, and dont stop others enjoying them.
It's not that I don't like strolls, I just go to a venue to dance with a partner - not on my own in a line. We play strolls at the end of the night every week down in Fleet, which is fine by me - while people are burning up their last ounces of energy I can sit down and chill, change my shoes and chat to everyone else who isn't joining in with the strolls. :cheers:

MartinHarper
11th-January-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm sure all that practice in footwork, body posture, cordination and timing won't do my partner dancing any harm.

a chance to practise a little improv.

Nod.
Personally I find strolls great for learning to actually dance, rather than just walk around to music.

Retread
11th-January-2005, 10:49 AM

Clive

and there's a brand-new Ceroc venue opening this Wednesday, January 12, in Romford!! :D

Diane
11th-January-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd love to learn the Charleston Stroll, it looks great fun.

RobC
11th-January-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd love to learn the Charleston Stroll, it looks great fun.
Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms events are usually a good place to learn a variety of different strolls.

Bigger Andy
11th-January-2005, 01:58 PM
Personally I find strolls great for learning to actually dance, rather than just walk around to music.

Exactly. Anything that helps develop your dancing has to be a good thing !

So, don't "Kill 'The Madison'". Save it and use it.
Just think of it as a stepping stone to help your dancing develop.
Enjoy it and think of it as just a bit of fun - if that helps.

Rhythm King
11th-January-2005, 02:23 PM

Exactly. Anything that helps develop your dancing has to be a good thing !

So, don't "Kill 'The Madison'". Save it and use it.
Just think of it as a stepping stone to help your dancing develop.
Enjoy it and think of it as just a bit of fun - if that helps.

It's only one track long, take the opportunity to go buy a drink, or change your shirt.
A lot of these swing dance-based strolls originated during WWll, so ladies could dance, when there weren't enough guys to go around. They continued, so that people could practice individual moves in a social way, without having to actually lead during a dance. They therefore have honourable antecedants. I wouldn't want to do a whole night of them, but one, or two are a laugh, IMHO. The development continues with the hip hop and urban styles (eg Adam and Tas :worthy: ) mentioned earlier. Go on, let yourself go, have a laugh and stop being such a stick in the mud! Alternatively, can you get me a diet coke when you go to the bar, please.

Rentaghost
11th-January-2005, 08:25 PM
and there's a brand-new Ceroc venue opening this Wednesday, January 12, in Romford!! :D

The DJ there is fab! I don't think he will be playing "The Madison"- at least I hope he doesn't...

Look BiggerAndy- I said something! :flower:

Bigger Andy
12th-January-2005, 09:32 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations !
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
11 posts already !
:flower: :flower: :flower:

Retread
12th-January-2005, 09:49 AM

The DJ there is fab! I don't think he will be playing "The Madison"- at least I hope he doesn't...

Agreed. He DJ'd Epsom last night, ending with his "trademark" of two last tracks -- one fast, and one slow. Nice inclusion of Latin and europop too.

May we be forgiven for this thread hijack. . . . .

Retread.

bobgadjet
12th-January-2005, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, you think bobgadjet might be a line dancer ? ;)

It's not that I don't like strolls, I just go to a venue to dance with a partner - not on my own in a line.

Do you take part in the lessons ?
2 lines, but with partners.
almost partner line dancing
borders on WCS.

Things are changing....look out....whats next ? Sequence MJ ?

bigdjiver
12th-January-2005, 05:53 PM
Strolls may be popular, good fun, help your dancing, give the lonely hearts a chance for exercise, but they are not MJ. In any environment where there are a lot of beginner and new intermediates it is one more reminder that they are not up to the same standard as those around them, one more thing that they feel they have to learn to really belong. I can just tolerate one in a long freestyle, but I really hated travelling 50 miles for a class night, and having one dance opportunity taken away. It was the reason I took certain venues off of my visit list. (This is all way back)

MartinHarper
12th-January-2005, 06:13 PM
One of my local venues occasionally plays the "Casper Slide". Some people jive to it, and some people do the stroll. Best of both worlds?

Bigger Andy
13th-January-2005, 02:26 PM

So, Rentaghost, did you go to Romford last night ? If so, what was it like ?

They have some pics on their website already ! :worthy:

It looks like it was well attended. :clap:

Did they play 'The Madison' ? :devil:

Rentaghost
13th-January-2005, 08:19 PM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
So, Rentaghost, did you go to Romford last night ? If so, what was it like ?

I absolutely meant to go, but then I had to work late and so spent yesterday evening writing lesson plans. What fun! ....I guess I was with them in spirit! :whistle:

So will we see you at Maidstone again soon? No Madison there. :na:

This post takes me up to 12. Your evil plan to get me posting is working! :waycool:

Bigger Andy
14th-January-2005, 01:27 PM
So will we see you at Maidstone again soon? No Madison there. :na:

This post takes me up to 12. Your evil plan to get me posting is working! :waycool:

I might be at Maidstone sooner rather than later !
(BTW I have PM'ed you for some advice)

:clap: Good to see you contributing ! :clap:

As the Jive Aces song says ...

Spectator, spectator
Make life or it’ll make ya’
You gotta jump right in
Do your thing
Soon your world will start to swing
If the game of life you’d win
You got to get it happening
It’s much cooler to create
Don’t just sit by and spectate