PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DVDs/videos

Lynn
5th-January-2005, 03:09 PM
I can highly recommend Amir's Jango video. I am a big fan of Amir's teaching - it's less about a bunch of complex moves, and more about technique - lead and following, making nice shapes, looking sexy (not the same as provocative), how to walk, and all sorts of stuff. And you get to learn some cool-looking moves as well. The Jango video/DVD also has Kate and Amir doing a couple of stunning performance routines.

There is a wealth teaching DVD's on the market, and maybe others can suggest some of them as well.

Maybe this subject warrants a new thread?

M Thanks - you are quite right, I shouldn't be sidetracking the Britroc thread! But I would love some advice from fellow forumites. I've been to a couple of Amir's workshops at weekenders and really enjoyed them so that would be a good choice. Also I don't want to panic my usual partner with lots of really complex moves at this stage anyway - but I do want to learn more in 2005.

As I have said before - we have no teacher here in NI - so I want to try to learn more at home with a video/DVD - any suggestions of ones people have found useful would be helpful - from basic level onwards.

frodo
9th-May-2006, 09:51 PM
PleaseIgnoreTheseDummyCharactersNeededToPost

I can highly recommend Amir's Jango video.....The Jango video/DVD also has Kate and Amir doing a couple of stunning performance routines.

There is a wealth teaching DVD's on the market, and maybe others can suggest some of them as well. ...... But I would love some advice from fellow forumites. I've been to a couple of Amir's workshops at weekenders and really enjoyed them so that would be a good choice.
Does anyone have any further thoughts on this subject.

In particular the Ceroc's DVDs at http://www.ceroc.com/members/videos.htm.

My first, and so far only DVD, is the Jango DVD with Amir and Kate as detailed above, and I'm quite impressed with it. In particular the cabaret, which while it has flash type moves demonstrates useable bits in between.

Also whether there is any point ordering weekender DVD's if you haven't been to the weekender.

Caro
9th-May-2006, 11:24 PM
Amir's DVD was my first one too, and I liked it very much. :drool:

I bought recently the advanced blues from Val and Dave and I looove it! :drool: fantastc routine on there; and I love blues dancing anyway!

I don't buy many dance DVDs though cause when you don't have a partner at home to practice, I don't think you get as much out of it as you would if somebody was there to watch and practice at the same time... but well one day may be... :yum: :grin:

Also whether there is any point ordering weekender DVD's if you haven't been to the weekender.

would be interested to know what people think about that, I've been thinking of getting one ... like the competition in blackpool or the cerocchamps for example...

frodo
10th-May-2006, 07:56 PM
...I bought recently the advanced blues from Val and Dave and I looove it! :drool: fantastc routine on there; and I love blues dancing anyway!
Thanks - Not realy looking towards blues, but as the style options all seem to be blues, it looks worth a look.

I don't buy many dance DVDs though cause when you don't have a partner at home to practice, I don't think you get as much out of it as you would if somebody was there to watch and practice at the same time... but well one day may be... :yum: :grin:
For the most part my intention isn't to practice with a partner either.
On the other hand those portable DVD players are getting very cheap, which expands the possibilities.

RogerR
10th-May-2006, 08:09 PM
The "How To Jive" video from Howtojive.com was the first and is still among the best presented and thought out beginners vid / dvd on the market.

Includes Nicky Haslam before she emigrated and ALL the original names from Ceroc.

robd
12th-May-2006, 08:47 PM
I have a small selection of DVDs

Ceroc Intermediate I & II - never watch them now
Jango - Enough has been said on the quality of this
John Sweeney Double Trouble - I used to be really keen to do DT but now I couldn't care less so never watch this
and the following from Steve Strong http://www.jivevideo.co.uk
Leroc Champs 2004 - hardly bother with these now. Surprised at how poor some people look (who I know are much better dancers than these DVDs suggest)
MJC8 - Some great cabarets and some useful classes. Have picked up a couple of moves from this that I use all the time in freestyle
Camber Nov 2005 - Went there and occasionally use this for reference

With all of the latter I get sound & picture problems which may be due to the media used or the age of my DVD player - either way it's annoying.

Didn't bother with either the Ceroc Champs DVD or the Camber May 06 one as I couldn't see I would get the value. I may order the Nigel & Nina blues one from the address above when it becomes available and would suspect the Nelson & Karen intermediate ones would be worth buying for new dancers if the quality of their Camber classes is representative.

Robert

under par
14th-May-2006, 03:31 AM
I

<<<<<snip>>>> the Camber May 06 one as I couldn't see I would get the value. I may order the Nigel & Nina blues one from the address above when it becomes available and would suspect the Nelson & Karen intermediate ones would be worth buying for new dancers if the quality of their Camber classes is representative.

Robert:yeah: :yeah:

both couples have real talent and well worth a second look on dvd:cheers: :worthy: :worthy: :cheers:

Ghost
16th-May-2006, 03:42 PM
Personally I'd also second SpinDr's recommendation of "Marcus & Barbis - Secrets Of Improvisation"
See here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=215498&highlight=spindr#post215498)

A few people have mentioned the "Advanced Jive" by Nigel and Nina on other threads, but I can't find it anywhere?

Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Likewise has anyone seen the "Scarborough Master Classes February 2005 DVD" or attended the actual event?

Here (http://jiveaddiction.com/mambo/content/view/25/43/) it says the classes were taught by Viktor & Carol, Amir, Nigel & Nina and Simon & Tania :worthy: Certainly sounds good.

Thanks
Christopher