PDA

View Full Version : beginner's moves????

mick
4th-January-2005, 03:34 PM
Is it counter-productive to call the basic moves, "beginners moves". It gives the impression that dancers should move on, and leave these moves behind.
It is like saying that the chords of G and D are beginners chords, and that a competent musician should not use them.
Would it not be better to call the 15 or so moves, "basic" or "fundamental moves"?

Lynn
4th-January-2005, 03:37 PM
Would it not be better to call the 15 or so moves, "basic" or "fundamental moves"? When I am explaining MJ to anyone I refer to them as 'basic moves' rather than 'beginner' moves.

mick
4th-January-2005, 03:43 PM
When I am explaining MJ to anyone I refer to them as 'basic moves' rather than 'beginner' moves.

On the Ceroc website
http://www.ceroc.com/nonmembers/workshops.htm
I have just checked and it refers to 12 beginners moves. That is the expression I have normally heard.

Lynn
4th-January-2005, 04:00 PM
On the Ceroc website We don't have any Ceroc in NI! Just some basic MJ!

Graham
4th-January-2005, 04:04 PM
I think that's an interesting point. However, calling them beginner moves does reinforce the point to new people that these moves are suitable for them.

Lynn
4th-January-2005, 04:24 PM
I think that's an interesting point. However, calling them beginner moves does reinforce the point to new people that these moves are suitable for them. I agree, but also feel that calling them 'basic' moves suggests that this is where you start learning. And also has the idea of these being the building blocks you use to put together in freestyle, to add to for 'intermediate' moves.

Jive Brummie
4th-January-2005, 06:15 PM
I agree, but also feel that calling them 'basic' moves suggests that this is where you start learning. And also has the idea of these being the building blocks you use to put together in freestyle, to add to for 'intermediate' moves.

I always thought calling them 'foundation' moves would be more appropriate.

Lynn
4th-January-2005, 06:29 PM
I always thought calling them 'foundation' moves would be more appropriate. That would be appropriate to their function. I suppose I use 'basic' moves as other dance styles refer to basic - eg 'basic step'. But maybe that's because in the past MJ here has been attracting people who already do some form of partner dance so will be familiar with the term as referring to the bit you learn first and build on.

MartinHarper
4th-January-2005, 09:39 PM
I always thought calling them 'foundation' moves would be more appropriate.

To my mind, foundation moves would be things like a return, or a single in&out. Moves like the Shoulder Drop are more complex than that.