PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Fundraising London.

Banana Man
2nd-January-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

Sure there will be lots of fundraisers going on, here's a London one -

Ashton's Tea Dance - Sun 30 Jan, 2-6pm (Provisional)

From Lindyloo

It's being organised as we speak, contacted Ashton's who have donated the venue for free and 2 of the guys that come to Ashton's are putting the whole thing together. Mike and I will be doing a class. It will be £10 a ticket (plus we will be doing raffles and things ) and EVERY penny will be going to to the disaster fund. We will have 2 or more DJ's. All the staff will be working for free. Everyone has been so amazing.

LindaMore details to follow.

Eric

Feelingpink
2nd-January-2005, 06:27 PM
Franco also announced on New Year's Eve that money from Hipsters on Tuesday night (Jan 4) would go to the appeal ... so see you all there! :wink:

Banana Man
6th-January-2005, 12:20 PM
Ashtons Tea Dance - Sun 30 Jan 2-6.30

This is a charity fundraiser for the Tsumani relief. £10 on the door.

There will be loads of great DJs - Bob, Robin and Tezi, Ian, and probably a few others. Mike and Linda will be teaching. There will be raffles and lots of other stuff going on.

Everyone is donating their services for free, the owners of Ashtons - the Byrne family - are providing the venue for free as well! This should be a great opportunity to raise thousands of pounds for charity and have a fantastic afternoon's dancing.

Lets hope the great level of support that everyone is showing can carry on, I'm sure those people affected will still need help for a long time to come.

Eric

Minnie M
28th-January-2005, 03:20 PM
Who's going ?

Rhythm King
28th-January-2005, 03:24 PM
Who's going ?

Me! I have my ticket already (Thanks Lory :wink: )

R-K x

Lory
28th-January-2005, 03:43 PM
Me! I have my ticket already (Thanks Lory :wink: )

R-K x

No Problem! :hug:

See you all at the 'usual' table! :cheers:

Minnie M
28th-January-2005, 03:50 PM
Be nice to see Adam (CerocMetro) before he goes back too :flower: :clap:

Zebra Woman
28th-January-2005, 05:12 PM
Miss Conduct and I will be there...at the usual table :waycool: :waycool:

CJ
28th-January-2005, 05:23 PM
Am sorely tempted, but I'd be off my head to do it... :rolleyes:

Am trying not to, but you just never know............ :waycool:

Dan Hudson
28th-January-2005, 05:46 PM
I shall be there too!! :waycool:

Sitting on Lory's lap!! :devil:

Minnie M
28th-January-2005, 05:59 PM
Am sorely tempted, but I'd be off my head to do it... :rolleyes:

Am trying not to, but you just never know............ :waycool:

:yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah:

Clive Long
28th-January-2005, 06:24 PM
Anyone know how to get from Ashton's / Cricklewood to West Hampstead station?

I need to leave at 5:30pm to get a train to Kew to go to Argentinian Tango (Captain Mental or what?)

Is there a minicab office near Ashtons or a RELIABLE DIRECT bus to West Hampstead station?

I looked at the train route from Cricklewood - too many changes - too many delays - too many risks.

Do I need to buy ticket in advance for Ashton's Sunday?

Ta,

Clive

El Salsero Gringo
28th-January-2005, 06:32 PM
Cricklewood is one stop from West Hampstead (Thameslink) station. Are the track-works causing problems with the schedule?

Also there is a minicab office about five doors along from Ashtons.

Clive Long
28th-January-2005, 06:42 PM
Cricklewood is one stop from West Hampstead (Thameslink) station. Are the track-works causing problems with the schedule?

Also there is a minicab office about five doors along from Ashtons.

Re: train - I don't know about engineering works - I will check anyway

It's just the train planner says train > foot > wait ......... > train

It's the risk of two different trains and the wait ....... that I don't want to take the chance on - so I'll be profligate and jump in the cab . If I say to the driver I'm dancing for the Tsunami appeal he will let me off the fare? :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
29th-January-2005, 02:56 AM
West Hampstead and West Hampstead (Thameslink) are separate stations, but only about 50 yards apart. The journey from Cricklewood to WH(Thameslink) is one stop according to the map, and from memory it takes less than three minutes.

Still, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a company as crappy as Thameslink Trains could screw even that up.

Banana Man
29th-January-2005, 03:59 AM
Who's going ?

Me! :clap: Although not sure when I'll get there as I'm flying back from Scotland.

Minnie, please save me a dance. :flower:

E

Minnie M
29th-January-2005, 10:16 AM
Me! :clap: Although not sure when I'll get there as I'm flying back from Scotland.

Minnie, please save me a dance. :flower:

E

Looking forward to it :clap: :yeah: :hug: :kiss:

Lory
29th-January-2005, 06:10 PM
I shall be there too!! :waycool:

Sitting on Lory's lap!! :devil:

Yippee! :clap: :kiss: :yum:

dee
29th-January-2005, 08:38 PM
MissyD and i will be going to

dee
29th-January-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know if BobGadget is still bringing the box van for us to fill with items for the Tsunami people? I read this in a thread he put on "Tsunami the aftermath" I dont want to be the only one turning up with a black sack of goodies :what:

Lory
30th-January-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not really sure if it's my place to announce this but seeing as no one else has, I'm glad to inform everyone, we raised a brilliant total of £5,200!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, it was packed but no one was complaining, as we all knew we were there to raise money, so it was definitely a case of 'the more the merrier'! :cheers:

I for one had a fab time, the atmosphere was electric and I hardly stopped dancing all afternoon! :na:

Plus it was great to see so many forumites, I counted at least 30! :waycool:

Clive Long
30th-January-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not really sure if it's my place to announce this but seeing as no one else has, I'm glad to inform everyone, we raised a brilliant total of £5,200!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, it was packed but no one was complaining, as we all knew we were there to raise money, so it was definitely a case of 'the more the merrier'! :cheers:

I for one had a fab time, the atmosphere was electric and I hardly stopped dancing all afternoon! :na:

Second, third and fourth that. :cheers:

I danced so much I was imitating a greased pig with my slipperiness during the last hour. To the person who swiped one of my T-shirts, I hope you enjoy wearing it, I couldn't bear touching the thing after an hour's dancing :eek: . Just don't put it up on E-Bay.

Yep, "more the merrier" and no-one minded dance area per person was the size of two postage stamps at times.

More than once I was asked how many years I had danced but I still can't work out if that is a compliment or an insult. Let it lie, let it lie.

Thanks for all the FANTASTIC :drool: dances I had, all you Carolines, Catherines, Lorys , Dianas , Lindas, Sarahs and all the other names I try so, so hard to remember and never do.

Thanks Lory for introducing me to some "Forum faces".

Well done all the other dance events held to support this worthy cause.

Clive

Minnie M
30th-January-2005, 11:32 PM
Second, third and fourth that. :cheers:
:yeah:
Great afternoon - however, more of social than lots of dancing - too crowed for dance - but not complaining -my dances were certainly quality if not quantity - and I got my dance with Silver Fox :drool: (even if it was on carpet)

Worth the 2 and half hour journey (an hour of that was traffic probs)

And we didn't mind the crowds as we raised so much money :yeah: :clap: :clap:

.........Lindas.............

not this one - well not to my knowledge :tears:

AND WHERE WAS ERIC :tears: :tears: :tears:

Feelingpink
30th-January-2005, 11:43 PM
Second, third and fourth that. :cheers: ...

Thanks for all the FANTASTIC :drool: dances I had, all you Carolines, Catherines, Lorys , Dianas , Lindas, Sarahs and all the other names I try so, so hard to remember and never do.

Thanks Lory for introducing me to some "Forum faces"....

Clive
Fabby dances with you too (and other lovelies)! Thanks Lory for the intros ... :flower: Minnie, it's a shame you never got to meet Eric, ... perhaps Banana Man was disguised as one of the yellow-jacketed Jive Aces? :whistle:

Lory
31st-January-2005, 12:07 AM
I meant to say, we really missed you Dan :hug: get well VERY soon babe! :flower:

And what happened to CJ :confused: I really did think he was daft enough to do it! :whistle: :D

foxylady
31st-January-2005, 08:31 AM
And what happened to CJ :confused: I really did think he was daft enough to do it! :whistle: :D

Yes what happened to you CJ ???

Foxy

Banana Man
31st-January-2005, 10:41 AM

The atmosphere was fantastic - so many great people to dance with I didn't stop either, but I can't believe how many more I missed, Minnie :eek: :blush: , Lory and Sparkles, :sad: :tears: Hopefully catch up with you all soon.

Eric (Bananaman, not DJ)

Sparkles
31st-January-2005, 11:04 AM
Great afternoon {snip} and I got my dance with Silver Fox :drool:
Worth the 2 and half hour journey...

:yeah: What IS your secret? :flower:

Thank you to all my wonderful partners - KGD :worthy: - so when's the next tea dance (you know me, any excuse to eat cake!)???

the atmosphere was electric

I have a feeling that was down to the huge amount of 'community spirit', everyone getting together to raise money for a very worthwhile cause! :cheers:

S. x

Zebra Woman
31st-January-2005, 12:11 PM

It was an amazing afternoon, great atmosphere. Senorita, Miss Conduct, Jivecat and I all had a fab time :cheers: What a lot of cake too :clap: :drool: :clap:

I had some fab dances (thank you everyone :hug: :flower: ) and despite it being extremely crowded I found people to be very considerate of other dancers. Ashtons would be a great venue for a regular Tea Dance IMHO

Well done to the DJ's too :worthy: good stuff.

Oh.... :sad: and get well soon Dan you were sorely missed :hug: :hug: :hug: (lick)

ZW :flower:

Banana Man
31st-January-2005, 12:37 PM
SNIP What a lot of cake too :clap: :drool: :clap:

.................. Ashtons would be a great venue for a regular Tea Dance IMHO

.......you know me, any excuse to eat cake!...
:whistle:

Why is it called a tea dance and not a cake dance? :confused: Maybe a regular monthly cake dance would be even more popular? :devil:

senorita
31st-January-2005, 05:34 PM

:whistle:

Why is it called a tea dance and not a cake dance? :confused: Maybe a regular monthly cake dance would be even more popular? :devil:

LOL very good point! ;-)

What a fantastic afternoon. I was on such a buzz....and still am! ;-)

Would love it if there were a regular T/cake (what ever you wanna call it) dance at ashtons..for sure!

Thanks to all my fab dancers!! (Drool) Everybody was very considerate....I didnt get punched, kicked, pushed or beaten up on the dance floor once...FANTASTIC!

A big thankyou to All the DJ'S...fantastic sounds played! & to the organizers. Thankyou for all the teas & coffees supplied and my goodness how many cakes? ;-) After eating so many cakes at the venue, and then a big bag of chips on the way home....I did feel so sick ;-)
Thankyou to anybody I missed out!

Russell Saxby
31st-January-2005, 06:12 PM
I meant to say, we really missed you Dan :hug: get well VERY soon babe! :flower:

but I am sure I more than made up for Dan's absence... :whistle: someone had to carry the Greenwich flag

Lory, lovely dances as always :worthy:

Minnie M
31st-January-2005, 06:18 PM
Was disappointed with the forum grouping :tears: (or lack of it)

When the announcement was made, only about a half a dozen of us went upstairs - but where were the others :tears: :tears:

Lory
31st-January-2005, 06:38 PM
but I am sure I more than made up for Dan's absence... :whistle: someone had to carry the Greenwich flag

Lory, lovely dances as always :worthy:Ahhh Yes Dan, fear not! He did Greenwich proud, the man is so smoooooooooooooth! :worthy: :drool:

Btw. I've given Russel a lick to pass on, for when he next sees you! :yum: :D

lindyloo
31st-January-2005, 10:16 PM
Just want to say a huge thankyou for Colin and Simon who put together the whole thing, the fabulous DJ's (Bob, Erick, Laurence, Robin & Tez & Ian), the Jive Aces, the venue, the staff, but especially to everyone who came and made the event such a success.
I think it was probably one of the best events I've ever been to. :)

bobgadjet
1st-February-2005, 02:13 AM
Just in case you had forgotten, there IS a regular T/cake dance, on the HMS President.

However, WHAT AN AFTERNOON ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

W O N D E R F U L :clap:

What more can be said ?:yeah:

I drove Janet home afterwards and was still on a high when we got there about 10pm. Or maybe it was all the chocolate cakies :sick:

HMS Pres IS good, but how can we match that afternoon.

My only sadness was that, once again, I missed dancing with all the other forumites.

Never mind, next time maybe ? :-)

Thanks to all of you for giuving up your time, and dipping so deep. Made all the hard work so much worth while. :worthy: