PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami . The aftermath

stewart38
30th-December-2004, 10:54 AM
I saw that the tourist are back on the beaches e.g Patong beach in Phuket.

I had mixed emotions on this ie shouldnt there be a period of 'reflection'

Then I guess what do I know ?

There must have been several hrs warning availble as the waves crossed the ocean (sites 100s of miles away) but it says the USA didnt know who to give the warnings to ??

bigdjiver
30th-December-2004, 11:48 AM

I had mixed emotions on this ie shouldnt there be a period of 'reflection'

Then I guess what do I know ?

:tears: I had already reflected, long ago, after a reported drowning tragedy that claimed just two, and concluded that, for all of us, life is short, we must enjoy it whilst we can, as best we can.

There's a picture in the paper showing two
happy smiling friends before a view
of a swirling mountain stream
in a carribean scene
There's a picture in the paper showing two

Up in the mountains there's a slide
ten thousand tons of mountainside
and the water it displaces
downward swiftly races
up in the mountain there's a slide

and it could be you, it could be me
sitting there, and cannot see
the water rushing down
to cover and to drown
it could be you, it could be me

and the moral of this story I relate
is I hope that I can share their fate
live life until it ends
smiling, and with friends,
that's the moral of this story I relate

but tell St Peter I can wait ...

There must have been several hrs warning availble as the waves crossed the ocean (sites 100s of miles away) but it says the USA didnt know who to give the warnings to?? Not all eathquakes produce Tsunami. It is usually only if the quake triggers a landslide into the water, or underwater.

I worked on seismographic exploration for several years. There is an about 2,000ft deep trench in the Skagerrak, south of Norway, which is a section of crust sinking between two massive faults. I have worried for years that this has the potential to create a Tsunami which would hit the Baltic states and Scotland, particularly the Tay Estuary. I have sent off various emails here and there, but never received a response. The possibility is so unlikely that no-one appears to want to spend time considering it. I have tried again with the BBC this time. It may be that there is insufficient material on the slopes to create a major Tsunami. I would like to know that.

stewart38
30th-December-2004, 12:07 PM
Quote as follows

The tidal wave took some two and a half hours to hit the coast of India and Sri Lanka, but no warnings were given.
But without such a system, nature's own warning should have been heeded.
"The most basic level of warning is probably the most effective," Dr Booth told Times Online. "If people are on the coastline, if the sea recedes quickly from the coast, than that is the precursor to a tsunami. That's when they should make for safety - they shouldn't wait for a warning from the local authorit.".
Phil McFadden, chief scientist with the government-funded Geoscience Australia, said that places close to the epicentre of the earthquake would have been hit so quickly that any warning would have come too late.
But if there had been a Pacific-style alert system covering the Indian Ocean, "there would have been time for people in Sri Lanka, across in the Maldives or somewhere like that to have done something about it".

bigdjiver
30th-December-2004, 02:30 PM
... But without such a system, nature's own warning should have been heeded.
"The most basic level of warning is probably the most effective," Dr Booth told Times Online. "If people are on the coastline, if the sea recedes quickly from the coast, than that is the precursor to a tsunami. That's when they should make for safety - ... Tsunamis are usually caused by landslides, usually undersea ones, or by volcanic explosions. The water is pushed in one direction by the slide, a positive wave, and pulled from the other, a negative one. The positive wave appears as a mound, which is what the clips I have seen show, and is the most destructive. The negative wave appears like the tide going out suddenly, and is followed by the water that has rushed in to fill the depression, which can also be massively destructive, but less so than the positive one from the same incident. In the directions at right angles to the landslip the positive and negative waves will tend to join and cancel each other out at great distances, which is one reason why Bangladesh and Australia were so much less affected.

ElaineB
30th-December-2004, 09:26 PM
I was so gobsmacked by the whole event, that although I wanted to post something, I thought it would seem rather trite! However, bigdjiver's summed my emotions very well indeed! Makes one realise how futile the human body is against Mother Nature!

It is also frightening to consider that the Baltic States and Scotland could potentially be in the line of a Tsunami as well! Here's keeping my fingers crossed that it never happens!

I and a number of friends, have already donated to the UNICEF and Simon and I have been asked to dance for a charity event at the end of January, but it still seems too little. Frustratingly, with all our technology, we seem to be so slow in getting the help to where it is needed, although I have no doubt that everyone is acting as quickly as humanly possible!

Elaine

ChrisA
30th-December-2004, 10:46 PM
It is also frightening to consider that the Baltic States and Scotland could potentially be in the line of a Tsunami as well! Here's keeping my fingers crossed that it never happens!

Not just as far north as that - the west coast of Britain (as well as the whole eastern seaboard of the USA) is also at risk if the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands decided to collapse all at once during a major eruption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami_info.shtml

http://www.benfieldhrc.org/SiteRoot/in_the_news/press_releases/la_palma.htm

Ash
30th-December-2004, 10:59 PM
Under Reported
December 28, 2004

Earthquake: Coincidence or a Corporate Oil Tragedy?
By: Andrew Limburg
Independent Media TV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I don't claim to be an expert on seismic activity, but there has been a series of events which led up to the 9.0 earthquake of the coast of Indonesia which can not be ignored. This all could be an enormous coincidence, but one must look at the information and choose for themselves whether there is anything to it.
On November 28th, one month ago, Reuters reported that during a 3 day span 169 whales and dolphins beached themselves in Tasmania, an island of the southern coast of mainland Australia and in New Zealand. The cause for these beachings is not known, but Bob Brown, a senator in the Australian parliament, said "sound bombing" or seismic tests of ocean floors to test for oil and gas had been carried out near the sites of the Tasmanian beachings recently.

According to Jim Cummings of the Acoustic Ecology Institute, Seismic surveys utilizing airguns have been taking place in mineral-rich areas of the world's oceans since 1968. Among the areas that have experienced the most intense survey activity are the North Sea, the Beaufort Sea (off Alaska's North Slope), and the Gulf of Mexico; areas around Australia and South America are also current hot-spots of activity.

The impulses created by the release of air from arrays of up to 24 airguns create low frequency sound waves powerful enough to penetrate up to 40km below the seafloor. The "source level" of these sound waves is generally over 200dB (and often 230dB or more), roughly comparable to a sound of at least 140-170dB in air.

According to the Australian Conservation Foundation, these 200dB - 230dB shots from the airguns are fired every few seconds, from 10 meters below the surface, 24 hours a day, weather permitting.

These types of tests are known to affect whales and dolphins, whose acute hearing and use of sonar is very sensitive.

On December 24th there was a magnitude 8.1 earthquake more than 500 miles southeast of Tasmania near New Zealand, with a subsequent aftershock 6.1 a little later in the morning that same day.

On December 26th, the magnitude 9.0 earthquake struck at the intersection of the Australian tectonic plate and the India tectonic plate. This is the devastating tragedy that we have all heard about. The death toll of this horrific event has reached 52,000 souls and continues to rise.

On December 27th, 20 whales beached themselves 110 miles west of Hobart on the southern island state of Tasmania.

What is interesting about this is that the same place where the whale beachings have been taking place over the last 30 days is the same general area where the 8.1 Australian earthquake took place, and this is the same area where they are doing these seismic tests. Then 2 days after the Australian tectonic plate shifted, the 9.0 earthquake shook the coast of Indonesia.

A great deal of interest and seismic testing has been taking place in this area, as the government of Australia has given great tax breaks to encourage the oil exploration.

We will be following up on this story as more information is gathered.

Archive Oct. 25 to Nov. 9 | Archive Nov. 10 to 23 | Archive Nov. 24 to D

http://planetwaves.info/

bigdjiver
31st-December-2004, 12:24 AM
... Earthquake: Coincidence or a Corporate Oil Tragedy?
IMO utter twaddle.

Seismic exploration using explosives has been going on since the fifties. Enormous quantities of explosives were used. I know of charges detonated in North Africa that produced waves detected all of the way up to Holland. Because recording equipment was crude large charges were used, including in marine exploration. As the recording equipment improved, and, more importantly, the computer processing improved, they were able to move to far smaller sources, such as the airgun, which produces multiple small sources rather than fewer enormous ones. Even the biggest charges that were used are minute compared to the vibrations and noise caused by the day to day normal activity and movement within the earth. It was quite difficult to detect nuclear tests against this background until the processing improved.

The air guns undoubtably affect marine life, but beachings? :confused:

It is possible that the main quake was preceded by a series of precursor events which may be the cause. :confused:

bigdjiver
31st-December-2004, 12:29 AM
The populations of the countries affected still need to be fed. Their fishing industries have been decimated. It is probably not practical, but I believe we have a lot of fishing boats on short time and "mothballed" ...

Dance Demon
1st-January-2005, 03:42 AM
I and a number of friends, have already donated to the UNICEF and Simon and I have been asked to dance for a charity event at the end of January, but it still seems too little. Frustratingly, with all our technology, we seem to be so slow in getting the help to where it is needed, although I have no doubt that everyone is acting as quickly as humanly possible!
Elaine

Was Djing at a the Glasgow Swing Club dance on Thurs 30th. the organisor donated the nights proceeds to the cause, including my fee. in all over £700 was raised on the night. It's heartening to see that everyone is concerned about the after effects of this tradgedy. it is also frightening how powerful the forces of nature are. Maybe we should be more careful about how we treat our planet......

Dance Demon
1st-January-2005, 02:16 PM
Just another thought about the power of nature..........READ THIS (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/volcano_monitor_010807-1.html) ........quite frightening really :eek:

Bangers & Mash
1st-January-2005, 03:28 PM
Mother Earth has a way of reminding us who's in charge doesn't she.

We may move things around a little, fight between ourselves a little and pick on the other residents every now and again - but it only takes a little slap from her to remind us that we're guests.

The tsunami was a great tragedy for all life in the impact zone - but I think it was also a humble reminder not to be complacent about our stay here.

wow! that was sombre.

Good on you John for donating your fee and to the others who have given as well. Let's hope it gets to where it's needed.

Stuart
1st-January-2005, 03:58 PM
Just another thought about the power of nature..........READ THIS (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/volcano_monitor_010807-1.html) ........quite frightening really :eek:

Sometime in January/ February there is a BBC Docu-drama about what would happen to the earth if the Yellowstone Super Volcano (mentioned in the article) ever erupted.

Dance Demon
1st-January-2005, 04:39 PM
Sometime in January/ February there is a BBC Docu-drama about what would happen to the earth if the Yellowstone Super Volcano (mentioned in the article) ever erupted.

I first learned about the Yellowstone Super Volcano on a Horizon programme on the Beeb........pretty damn scary stuff:eek:

ajiver
1st-January-2005, 05:47 PM
I am from South East Asia and my country was one of those affected by the tsunami but fortunately only a small area was hit but it is really horrible and sad to see how much devastation it has done to some countries.

Ajiver

Gadget
1st-January-2005, 11:13 PM

I had mixed emotions on this ie shouldnt there be a period of 'reflection
Don't these areas rely on 'tourisim' for their economy? I think that these tourists are probably doing more for the immediate population around that area than a small donation to a charity will.

Little Monkey
1st-January-2005, 11:20 PM
I am from South East Asia and my country was one of those affected by the tsunami but fortunately only a small area was hit but it is really horrible and sad to see how much devastation it has done to some countries.

Ajiver

I am absolutely horrified by the devastation caused by this tragedy. It's impossible to imagine what it's actually like for the millions of people affected by the tsunami, and I feel quite helpless as I watch the reports in the media.

A good friend of mine was celebrating the holidays at the beaches in Thailand. I've not heard from her since before christmas, and can only hope she is alive and well. My father lives in Thailand, and also tends to spend the holidays in the areas affected by the tsunami. I'm not sure if he was there when disaster struck - hopefully he wasn't.

I hope as many people as possible will make a donation to the aid agencies working in the affected areas, and I think it's great to hear that people arrange charity dances etc. to raise money! :flower:

Cathrine

Banana Man
2nd-January-2005, 03:07 AM
Just got back from Ceroc Metro's fantastic chillout session at Finchley (superb set Robin and Tezi). Adam's back in the UK, and having recently travelled through Singapore he made his own plea for donations and put his hand in his pocket and started the collection with £500. :cheers: Don't know how much was raised but they were only taking paper money. :worthy:

There was also an announcement about a charity fundraiser - Sunday 30th January there will be a tea dance at Ashtons, 2-6pm. Don't know who's organising this, whether it's a Lindyloo special or not, sure there will be more news soon.

E

Dance Demon
2nd-January-2005, 08:14 PM
just watched the BBC special report on the disaster....... :sad: :sad: :sad:
I'ts hard to imagine the total devastation in such a short time , in so many different countries. It's also hard to picture how long it will take to clear up the mess, and for how long bodies will keep appearing. It's times like this that make you realise how stupid the devastation that man inflicts on fellow man is. As one reporter put it.." the tsunami did not dicriminate on who it killed , all ages,colours creeds, religions, sexes, were affected". Maybe this is natures way of making us all come to our senses, and bring us all together as a human race.

bigdjiver
2nd-January-2005, 10:47 PM
... Maybe this is natures way of making us all come to our senses, and bring us all together as a human race. :tears: I fear that it will take more than this. The reason that the Indian Ocean does not have a warning system is the old "who pays for it" question. A fraction portion of the milions pledged in aid would have done the job.
There is no way that they could have helped the nearest, but across the ocean much of the population could have moved to high ground, or taken their boats out to sea. We need a degree of world government, starting with more power and respect for the United Nations.

Gadget
3rd-January-2005, 04:59 PM
I wonder how many other worthwhile causes and charities will suffer because of this? Is it better to help home the people living on the streets in your city, help the child next door from an abusive parent, help cancer reserch so that a cure may be found in time to help your friend, or give aid to Africa? A true test of morals I think.

bigdjiver
3rd-January-2005, 06:05 PM
The populations of the countries affected still need to be fed. Their fishing industries have been decimated. It is probably not practical, but I believe we have a lot of fishing boats on short time and "mothballed" ...The arn-chair guru strikes again. The price of fish has actually gone down. I saw a clip of a fisherman complaining that nobody would buy his fish because they think, probably rightly, that the fish have been feeding on human flesh.

Dance Demon
3rd-January-2005, 07:13 PM
I wonder how many other worthwhile causes and charities will suffer because of this? Is it better to help home the people living on the streets in your city, help the child next door from an abusive parent, help cancer reserch so that a cure may be found in time to help your friend, or give aid to Africa? A true test of morals I think.

Don't think it's a case of other charities suffering Gadget. I would think that all the home based charities will still get donations. but having seen the total devastation that has been caused here and the urgency of the situation, as well as the fact that it's not just Africa that has been affected, but several countries, all needing immediate urgent help, people will want to help. I am a great believer in the "charity begins at home " way of thinking, but like all things in life there are exceptions to be made. This is such a case IMHO

stewart38
4th-January-2005, 12:53 AM
Don't these areas rely on 'tourisim' for their economy? I think that these tourists are probably doing more for the immediate population around that area than a small donation to a charity will.

Totally agree

bobgadjet
4th-January-2005, 02:49 PM
Good on you John for donating your fee and to the others who have given as well. Let's hope it gets to where it's needed.

Unfortunately, altho the main organisations have everything to work with, and have all at their disposal, they do eat up around 40% of anything moneywise that you send them.

Having been a member of the Round Table organisation, and having worked with The Rotary Clubs for many years, I can tell you that donating to those particular organisations (yes, I know there are others), every penny you donate will be used.

CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.rotary-ribi.org/

I was in Poole over the festive period, and also Bodmin on 29th, and the local
news reported that the Rotary organisation HAD ALREADY sent survival boxes out to where its needed, coordinated by their counterparts in the affected areas. That was within 3 days.

I raised over £230 on NYE at a small event, but not only that, I now have 3 large suitcases of clothes/sheets to give.

On 30th January I hope to have a box van, so if you have supported by buying a ticket, then perhaps you can bring along those unwanted clothes, blankets, and the like.
I aim to fill the van, and deliver to the Red Cross the next day.

Help me fill it, please.

Right now you may be reading this with a cup of tea or coffee in your hand or next to you, or maybe even a glass of water.........

Take a LONG look at it.................

Aren't you the lucky one ?

Its going to rain today..................will YOU get wet ? I think not.

Aren't you the lucky one ?

I only wish that if I had the ability to help in some way, I could be out there helping, but I don't know what I would do.
I will do something here to help though, knowing I have couterparts over there who will take my help and use it direct.

Sorry to also be so sombre, but I don't know what I would do if a freak act of fate took EVERYHING I had, EVERYTHING, away from me.

Would YOU ?

Good luck to all the survivors.

Gadget
4th-January-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry to also be so sombre, but I don't know what I would do if a freak act of fate took EVERYHING I had, EVERYTHING, away from me.

Would YOU ?
Yup: Dance. :D

{I'm not being completley flipant; but if every material possession was taken from me, all the people I know wiped out, family halved and nothing looking good, I would still dance. It's one of the reasons I do it - when my world is ****ty, it's the one clean area that holds the rest together.}

stewart38
5th-January-2005, 11:07 AM
Now we have a 3 minutes silence :sick:

bobgadjet
5th-January-2005, 11:29 AM
Now we have a 3 minutes silence :sick:
can you not give up 3 minutes of YOUR life to reflect on the loss of life of so many unfortunate fellow human beings?

Consider the rolls reversed........... for just those 3 minutes.

IN JUST 3 MINUTES
a running tap would waste more water than is needed to keep a person alive for 3 days
driving at 30 mph you would use more fuel than would be needed to transport food into most of the stricken places.
you could finish a cup of tea or coffee, could they?
you could boil an egg.....if you have one!
you could complete a dance..... if you had music & a dancefloor
you could have sex.........if your partner was still alive ! ! !

or you could just reflect on just how lucky you really are.

stewart38
5th-January-2005, 12:14 PM
can you not give up 3 minutes of YOUR life to reflect on the loss of life of so many unfortunate fellow human beings?

Consider the rolls reversed........... for just those 3 minutes.

IN JUST 3 MINUTES
a running tap would waste more water than is needed to keep a person alive for 3 days
driving at 30 mph you would use more fuel than would be needed to transport food into most of the stricken places.
you could finish a cup of tea or coffee, could they?
you could boil an egg.....if you have one!
you could complete a dance..... if you had music & a dancefloor
you could have sex.........if your partner was still alive ! ! !

or you could just reflect on just how lucky you really are.

According to Max hastings from the daily mail its embarrassing,mawkish,tasteless and repugnant an edict from Brussles and the EU
Our rulers are attempting to make compassion official

His words not mine

I think when 250,000 died in China quake it got to page 3 of Daily Express
How mant millions are starving in Africa lets not pretend why the goverment are doing this

Lynn
5th-January-2005, 01:53 PM
Someone from where I work left today to go out there - and took a lot of camping equipment and sleeping bags etc donated from here. We have so much, we should be sharing more, times like this make us realise how much we really have.

Right now you may be reading this with a cup of tea or coffee in your hand or next to you, or maybe even a glass of water.........

Take a LONG look at it.................

Aren't you the lucky one ?. Having spent just a few short months in West Africa, I do sometimes think how great it is that I can turn on a tap in my home and have clean drinking water. It can be a struggle for many - for just day to day living. How much worse when the little you have is destroyed. Lets be grateful for what we have and think about what we can do.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2005, 02:07 PM

No! I totally object, I think it lessens the tragedy. 1 minute for our war heroes, 2 mins for the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers and 3 minutes for the tsunami. It feels like every public display of compassion is trying to be better than the last - 'look we care 1 minute more than we used to ' . Its a stupid edict from Brussels. lll donate and reflect on the tragedy in my own time and do the same for the thousands that die in Africa every day! Ive reflected on the tragedy a lot longer than 3 minutes already thank you very much.

bobgadjet
5th-January-2005, 02:11 PM
Lets be grateful for what we have and think about what we can do.

So far........
there is a Tea Dance been arranged on 30th Jan at Ashtons.
Please support those who are working hard to make that a success.

Alongside this I have been promised a van, or lorry if need be, and will be taking donations, hopefully a van full, to a company who is transporting the goods direct to the Maldives, and other areas where they are needed.

If you have anything that will be of use for those who need it, please bring it along,
ON 30th JANUARY,
preferably packed in either large strong plastic bags (not the cheap ones that split please), or even stuff the clothes into sleeping bags.

I will be taking the van direct to the group who will be using any vacant space already reserved on planes from Monarch Airline, and other companies at Luton, Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick.

Dont waste this opportunity to clear out your cupboards, and ease the life of a victim.

bobgadjet
5th-January-2005, 02:18 PM
No! I totally object, I think it lessens the tragedy. 1 minute for our war heroes, 2 mins for the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers and 3 minutes for the tsunami. It feels like every public display of compassion is trying to be better than the last - 'look we care 1 minute more than we used to ' . Its a stupid edict from Brussels. lll donate and reflect on the tragedy in my own time and do the same for the thousands that die in Africa every day! Ive reflected on the tragedy a lot longer than 3 minutes already thank you very much.

my comments were not pointed at you, or the many like you, that show compassion in their own way, but was to those who think

"I'm alright, thank you very much"

Why should I do anything just because somebody suggests it, I'll do nothnig cos it doesn't affect me.

Most of us do what we can in our own ways, but there are those who just let others do.

I'm sure you will do what you want, and can, and good luck to you.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2005, 02:33 PM
my comments were not pointed at you, or the many like you, that show compassion in their own way, but was to those who think

"I'm alright, thank you very much"

Indeed. It wasn't an anti-bobgadget rant in reply either. Perhaps Im in a more scathing mood than normal :)

stewart38
5th-January-2005, 02:53 PM
So far........

Dont waste this opportunity to clear out your cupboards, and ease the life of a victim.

I hear their clearing up 'unwanted gifts' in affected areas already

I bet they dont want a 1,000,000 sleeping bags or xmas toys. They want money and long term investment.

Lynn
5th-January-2005, 03:01 PM
I bet they dont want a 1,000,000 sleeping bags or xmas toys. They want money and long term investment. Money will help - but only if there are the necessary goods available to buy with the money - and there isn't in some areas - so they do need practical help.

And of course they need long term help - but at this stage a lot of people need the basics, water, shelter, food and medical treatment - and they need it now.

Lynn
5th-January-2005, 11:55 PM
On the local news tonight - a container has left NI - and interestingly they had a lot of emphasis on exactly when the items would arrive in Thailand, the fact that there were people arranged to meet the container when it lands and make sure the help is distributed to where it is needed, and that the news team will follow its progress... carefully thought out assistance.

Leo
10th-January-2005, 02:45 AM
IMO utter twaddle.

Seismic exploration using explosives has been going on since the fifties. Enormous quantities of explosives were used. I know of charges detonated in North Africa that produced waves detected all of the way up to Holland. Because recording equipment was crude large charges were used, including in marine exploration. As the recording equipment improved, and, more importantly, the computer processing improved, they were able to move to far smaller sources, such as the airgun, which produces multiple small sources rather than fewer enormous ones. Even the biggest charges that were used are minute compared to the vibrations and noise caused by the day to day normal activity and movement within the earth. It was quite difficult to detect nuclear tests against this background until the processing improved.

The air guns undoubtably affect marine life, but beachings? :confused:

It is possible that the main quake was preceded by a series of precursor events which may be the cause. :confused:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

ONLY WHEN A MAN OPENS HIS EYES CAN HE TRULY SEE, BUT SEEING IS NOT BELIEVING FOR THERE IS ALWAYS MORE BELOW THE SURFACE WHICH IS ONLY VISIBLE TO THE OPEN MIND AND DOES NOT BECOME CLEAR UNTIL LONG AFTER HIS EYES ARE CLOSED. REMEMBER TO LOOK NOT JUST AT WHAT YOU SEE BUT ALSO WHAT YOU ARE DEAFLY TOLD.

Dance Demon
10th-January-2005, 09:50 AM
In the last week, parts of the UK have been battered by severe gales and flooding. Carlisle was all but cut off by floods and thousands of homes have been affected. many of these people will have donated to the tsunami funds, perhaps even organised events to raise money for the cause. I wonder how much aid and assistance will find it's way to these victims? or will they-as Gadget says- lose out because everyone is focusing on tsunami victms?.........does charity begin at home?

Leo
11th-January-2005, 02:16 AM
I refuse to answer that question without a lawyer present

azande
21st-January-2005, 08:29 PM
Just to re-open the thread :) this (http://www.masternewmedia.org/2005/01/21/tsunami_earthquake_disaster_causes_facts.htm) expand the article by Andrew Limburg that Ash posted above.

Please be aware that even the author categorises some points as "heavy speculation"!

bigdjiver
22nd-January-2005, 04:37 AM
Just to re-open the thread :) this (http://www.masternewmedia.org/2005/01/21/tsunami_earthquake_disaster_causes_facts.htm) expand the article by Andrew Limburg that Ash posted above.

Please be aware that even the author categorises some points as "heavy speculation"!A large ship moving through the ocean creates a massive pressure wave besides which an airgun pales to insignificance.

This is more scare stories and bad science.

How is the alleged movement measured? Seismic modelling? If that is what I think it is someone has plugged some speculative numbers into some speculative equations and come up with that answer. My guess is that this report is far closer to the truth:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/tsunami_coastlines_050104.html

Stuart
22nd-January-2005, 11:33 AM

Please be aware that even the author categorises some points as "heavy speculation"!

There was part of this article that may contain a grain of truth. There is some evidence to suggest that an earthquake in one part of a faultline can lead to another earthquake further along it. There was a "Horizon" Documentary about this a couple of years ago:

Earthquake Storms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/earthquakestorms.shtml)

bigdjiver
22nd-January-2005, 05:16 PM
There was part of this article that may contain a grain of truth. There is some evidence to suggest that an earthquake in one part of a faultline can lead to another earthquake further along it. There was a "Horizon" Documentary about this a couple of years ago:

Earthquake Storms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/earthquakestorms.shtml) When there are two segments of the crust sliding past each other, as in the great faults that are responsible for the shape of Scotland, the slippage normally occurs in small sections. One piece moves, relieving the pressure there, but building it up on the next section. One earthquake gives rise to the next, which can occur within minutes, days, or years and range from small aftershocks to full-blown earthquakes. It would be possible to make an informed guess where the next one is likely to occur, if the pattern of previous ones were known.