PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Problems?

Will
21st-December-2004, 06:26 PM
Is anyone having problems with their hotmail account today?

Rentaghost
22nd-December-2004, 12:33 AM
Is anyone having problems with their hotmail account today?

I wasn't until you mentioned it- but I am now! :tears:

Will
22nd-December-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm finding that when I access it from my home broadband connection it is fine. But when I try accessing it from my office LAN, I just get a blank screen. I'm not sure if this is because of something that hotmail have done or our MIS department has done.

Rhythm King
22nd-December-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm finding that when I access it from my home broadband connection it is fine. But when I try accessing it from my office LAN, I just get a blank screen. I'm not sure if this is because of something that hotmail have done or our MIS department has done.

We can read and delete Hotmail on our office PCs, but can't send or reply to messages. This means I have to use my work e-mail account, if I want to reply during office hours and this is monitored :eek:

ElaineB
22nd-December-2004, 01:11 PM
We can read and delete Hotmail on our office PCs, but can't send or reply to messages. This means I have to use my work e-mail account, if I want to reply during office hours and this is monitored :eek:

Where I work, Hotmail is forbidden and I know of others where this is now the norm. I expect Will has just discovered the IT Police!

Elaine

Lynn
22nd-December-2004, 02:18 PM
We can read and delete Hotmail on our office PCs, but can't send or reply to messages. This means I have to use my work e-mail account, if I want to reply during office hours and this is monitored :eek: I presume that is all web based email and not just Hotmail? I don't often use my hotmail account but can check my utv address from work via webmail.

Will
22nd-December-2004, 02:20 PM
I rang our MIS dept, and they say they haven't done anything to block hotmail. They are as confused as I am as to why it doesn't work. Other webmail such as yahoo and gmail still work fine.

:confused:

DavidY
22nd-December-2004, 02:21 PM
On our work PCs they block various web addresses - websites like the forum only work at lunchtimes and early morning/late evening.

Hotmail's website (and other similar webmails) are blocked all the time. I imagine you can't read hotmail messages through other systems either (although I've never tried).

Minnie M
22nd-December-2004, 02:22 PM
Goodness what it happening :tears: :what: :tears:

I can't send or receive emails (freeserve) and now can't access my web page - help !!!!!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:

After all my computer problems I now don't know what is mine or the ISP (I think that's right - the Internet Provider) help help help ...................

I think this should be an "Ask Smurf" help as he (IMO) is our forum teckie

DavidB
22nd-December-2004, 02:47 PM
But when I try accessing it from my office LAN, I just get a blank screen.It is the computer's equivalent of giving a blank look whenever you start talking about football and Man City in the same sentence.

Surely you must be used to these looks by now?

Sparkles
22nd-December-2004, 03:25 PM
It is the computer's equivalent of giving a blank look whenever you start talking about football and Man City in the same sentence.

Surely you must be used to these looks by now?

Ooooh!
Is David B the new DS??? :eek:

Will
22nd-December-2004, 04:16 PM
Ooooh!
Is David B the new DS??? :eek:
Nah, I definately saw DS getting the beers in on one occasion.

Of course, DavidB's doughnut move reminds me very much of Leeds Utd.
The speed at which Lily drops from a great height is very remenicent of Leeds Utds league position in the last 3 seasons.

ElaineB
22nd-December-2004, 04:18 PM
Nah, I definately saw DS getting the beers in on one occasion.

Of course, DavidB's doughnut move reminds me very much of Leeds Utd.
The speed at which Lily drops from a great height is very remenicent of Leeds Utds league position in the last 3 seasons.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

(An ex football supporter!!)

DavidB
22nd-December-2004, 04:33 PM
Nah, I definately saw DS getting the beers in on one occasion.Asking a Leeds fan for a drink is probably safer than asking a Man City player for a light...

From BBC Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/4116951.stm)

Manchester City's Joey Barton has been punished by the club after an incident at the Christmas party on Sunday.
Barton, 22, poked a burning cigar in youth team player James Tandy's left eye after a fracas at the Lucid nightclub in central Manchester.

Barton is said to have been provoked by Tandy trying to set his shirt on fire.

drathzel
22nd-December-2004, 04:50 PM
back on topic:- my hotmail is working fine! :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-December-2004, 05:05 PM
The topic is always less interesting than the yellow brick road of nonsense we inevitable stagger down away from it. :)

As for hotmail not working - this explains the whole thing :) (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm)

Minnie M
22nd-December-2004, 05:21 PM
The topic is always less interesting than the yellow brick road of nonsense we inevitable stagger down away from it. :)

As for hotmail not working - this explains the whole thing :) (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm)

Confused or what :confused:

I can see my web page now - but still can't send/receive emails from pop freeserve account - is there a link for me to see what has happened please Mr. Smurfman :sad:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-December-2004, 05:43 PM
Confused or what :confused:

I can see my web page now - but still can't send/receive emails from pop freeserve account - is there a link for me to see what has happened please Mr. Smurfman :sad:
If you can see your web page but not get mail its not your connection. So, eeither your email settings are wrong (which is only likely if you changed something yourself) or the mail servers have a problem.

And according to the freeserve website.....

Webmail is currently undergoing planned maintenance between the hours of 9pm and 8am. During these times, some customers may experience intermittent difficulties in logging into their mailbox. Should you experience difficulties accessing your mail, please be patient and retry after 30 minutes.

...which was er..this morning..so there are clearly still issues. click on this link (http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/servicestatus.htm?linkfrom=help_contactus&link=ChannelMenu_a_links&article=ServiceStatus) to see for yourself.

Minnie M
22nd-December-2004, 06:18 PM
Thank you DS :flower: - not sure if it is me (could be) as I have been impatient and have been trying to see why it wasn't working - at least the internet is working fine

big big hugs

Lynn
22nd-December-2004, 07:41 PM
My hotmail and freeserve accounts were both working fine today - but anyone got any idea how to stop my dial up connection from hanging up? It tells me I have an incoming phone call and my internet connection has been terminated - but I don't have it set to do that! :tears: Oh drat, its just done it again as I write this!! :mad:

(Yes, I'm still on dial up!)

Minnie M
22nd-December-2004, 07:45 PM
........(Yes, I'm still on dial up!)

Stay there until you have three weeks to spare or have a good friend who REALLY knows what they are talking about living near you :eek:

I still can't send/receive emails and now I am not sure if it is me or "them" I am so paranoid - and christmas is coming .....................

Lynn
22nd-December-2004, 08:14 PM
Stay there until you have three weeks to spare or have a good friend who REALLY knows what they are talking about living near you :eek:

I still can't send/receive emails and now I am not sure if it is me or "them" I am so paranoid - and christmas is coming ..................... Can you access your freeserve email account via the freeserve website (takes you to the Wannado page and you put in your address and password). I can do that and can access the email account from any computer that way. You won't have your address book I don't think but should be able to send/recieve email. Maybe you have already tried that, but just an idea.

Minnie M
22nd-December-2004, 08:35 PM
Can you access your freeserve email account via the freeserve ........

yes, thanks Lynn, have been doing that, very useful

http://email.wanadoo.co.uk

DavidY
23rd-December-2004, 12:48 AM
My hotmail and freeserve accounts were both working fine today - but anyone got any idea how to stop my dial up connection from hanging up? It tells me I have an incoming phone call and my internet connection has been terminated - but I don't have it set to do that! I assume you don't have "Call Waiting" or some other similar phone service? I know that used to cause modems problems (dunno if it's still a problem though - maybe modems are cleverer these days).

Lynn
23rd-December-2004, 01:51 AM
I assume you don't have "Call Waiting" or some other similar phone service? I don't, sometimes it doesn't do drop the connection at all, other times its quite frequent. And it probably is the modem as it does it if I use a different ISP to dial up.

Minnie M
23rd-December-2004, 08:44 AM
I'M BACK ON :clap: :clap: :clap:

And double pleased to know it wasn't me that was causing the problem :yeah: :clap: :flower: