PDA

View Full Version : Safe Personal Computing

azande
15th-December-2004, 09:38 AM
Interesting Blog entry (http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2004/12/safe_personal_c.html) by Bruce Schneier.
Schneier is the author of computer security books like "Beyond Fear," "Secrets and Lies," and "Applied Cryptography," and an inventor of the Blowfish and Twofish algorithms. He is founder and CTO of Counterpane Internet Security Inc., and is a member of the Advisory Board of the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 10:12 AM
Some good tips there. 'If possible, don't use Microsoft Windows. Buy a Macintosh or use Linux.' , although it can be said with Service Pack 2 for XP, Microsoft have shown they are at least paying attention. There should be a test you have to pass to get on the internet ;)

Lou
15th-December-2004, 10:15 AM
There should be a test you have to pass to get on the internet ;)
:yeah: Bloody perpetual September... bah..... humbug.... AOL suck..... etc.... :wink:

ElaineB
15th-December-2004, 10:22 AM
:yeah: Bloody perpetual September... bah..... humbug.... AOL suck..... etc.... :wink:

My advice is 'wear a condom' - better safe than sorry! :rofl:

Elaine

philsmove
15th-December-2004, 10:46 AM
On extra tip

Check you can restore your back up on another computer

Don’t wait for your computer to fail or be stolen before you check this :blush:

Yes there are disadvantages with Microsoft

But there are more Microsoft uses out there to help you if thing go wrong

Can’t see why you should destroy old backups :confused:

I keep mine, in date order, in a fire safe

That way I can go back in time a least 5 years

Lou
15th-December-2004, 11:44 AM
But there are more Microsoft users out there to help you if things go wrong
Maybe it's because they've had more practice? :innocent:

plankton
15th-December-2004, 12:34 PM
snip

Can’t see why you should destroy old backups :confused:

isn't that the difference between archiving and backup?
A backup, designed to allow a restore of a complete working system. Usually the one you are using right now. Having a destroy/reuse date on a backup reduces the chances of it being inappropriately reloaded and also reduces the cost of haveing to secure it .
An Archive would be designated for long term storage and would probalbly only contain data files.

I keep mine, in date order, in a fire safe

That way I can go back in time a least 5 years

Does this mean you have invented time travel :devil:

You might well want 5 year old data back but would you really want a 5 year old system back ?? (unless you needed it to read the old data ) and would you be able to find the vintage hardware to run it on ??

Keith

Stubob
15th-December-2004, 04:15 PM
On being safe, I use the ribbed condom analogy where the Anti-Virus software is your basic condom with the firewall being the ribbed texture :whistle: This along with keeping your Operating System up-to-date, will provide for safe surfing.

In terms of backing up your data, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do. I have two hard disks in my Windows XP PC which I use to back up data from the primary HD and also from my Apple Powerbook. I think Windows XP is an excellent operating system and is by and large as good as Mac OS and Linux.

Stubob

philsmove
15th-December-2004, 05:06 PM
isn't that the difference between archiving and backup?
Keith

Indeed it is :blush:

thank you :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 06:10 PM
I think Windows XP is an excellent operating system and is by and large as good as Mac OS and Linux.

Before or after Service Pack 2 ? :)

As a user of them all (mac os the least though it must be said) , XP is nowhere near as configurable as linux and nowhere near as nice looking as MAC OS X. It doesnt crash much though. I wouldn't call it excellent (or even the best, win 2k is much better) but its very user friendly (too much so in my case, I want to tell IT what to do not IT tell ME ) :)