PDA

View Full Version : Milestones in MJ development

Gus
11th-December-2004, 04:38 PM
I was having a chat with a teaching colleague of mine who expressed the view that the most important ting to happen in Modern Jive in recent times was the introduction of the Manhattan. As she put it, this move has revolutionised the perspective of footwork within Modern Jive, which prides itself on its ‘no footwork’ basis. This got me thinking about events that I thought had had a major impact on MJ.

1) Manhattan footwork.
Imported from NZ (principally by Amir I believe), this move has helped introduce the concept of footwork in way that has been readily assimilated but intermediate dancers and led to whole genre of related moves.

2) Blues
The main source for this style of dancing was the Nigel & Nina blues workshops from 1999 through to 2001 (since when there have been many imitators). This style of dance opened up a whole new way top dance, interpret music and enjoy music that was previously seen as too slow to dance to.

3) Hip Hop styling
I don’t think anyone who saw Dan and Lisa’s mind blowing choreography at the 1999 Ceroc champs could fail but be amazed by what those pair had achieved with a MJ basis. Within two year, a number of the moves Dan used were incorporated into the Ceroc bible … and many other dancers were inspired to ‘funk up’ their dancing. That single performance inspired many others to challenge the boundaries of the then ‘staid’ modern Jive.

4) Competitions
I think Le Jive had been running competitions since 1997 (?) … but it was the launch of the Chance to Dance UK Champs and the Ceroc Champs that led to an explosion of interested and a parallel increase in the amount of work put in by individual dancers. I watched the 2002 C2D video the other day …. and was amazed at how far the standard has moved in the 2 short years since then. Truly, the spirit of competition has led to a step change in the standard of dancing and the complexity of moves on the circuit.

Anyway … those are my thoughts on the subject. Yours?

bigdjiver
11th-December-2004, 06:30 PM
I think that the Le Jive competitions were the most significant of those developments. They were open to all forms of Jive, and there for all to see were the advantages of Swing, street and ballroom styling. The success of those championships probably persuaded Ceroc to drop its "no competitions" policy. The awards from those competitions gave many of our leading lights their first badges of merit that helped to enable them to build and market their own particular ideas and skills. Last, but not least, the cross discipline and wide ranging contacts and friendships initiated at those championships provided many of the seed beds for later developments.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, and I do not wish to detract from Amirs contribution even if it is not, but I think there was even a tad of "Mahattan" at the 98 Le Jive championships.

Whitebeard
11th-December-2004, 11:47 PM
Manhattan footwork.
Here's that beginner again.

Could someone briefly explain to him the essence of Manhattan footwork and at what stage is he likely to come across it ??.

Gus
12th-December-2004, 02:10 AM
Could someone briefly explain to him the essence of Manhattan footwork and at what stage is he likely to come across it ??.A more learned teacher than I described it as being a mambo style step forward and backward. If you are dancing Ceroc ... don’t know when you would see it. I believe that Ceroc have assimilated it but true to style, rather than keep its original name ... they've called it some thing else for reasons that escapes me. any CTA instructors care to let us know what the Ceroc name for it is?

Matthew
12th-December-2004, 06:01 AM
Here's that beginner again.

Could someone briefly explain to him the essence of Manhattan footwork and at what stage is he likely to come across it ??.

From one beginner to another :-)

We have this footwork in Australia, we call it "Manhattans"...

The basic version goes like this. Imagine you come in to a ballroom frame (so you're facing your partner, feet closed, LH in ballroom grip, RH on her shoulder blade, elbow high). Now the footwork is that you step forward L, and she steps back R to match (so your foot's sorta where her foot was). Then you step back L and she forward R. Depending on the music you could be doing this by wiggling your hips. Your R foot stays where it is but there is weight transfer to it on the half-count as your L foot moves.

The hand stuff's not important, it's a footwork, you can do it one hand on her neck, no hands at all etc, as long as you can lead it. And you don't need to anchor your right foot either, you can use Manhattans to move around the floor if you like.

Chicklet
12th-December-2004, 08:33 PM
Would the first "weekender" to boast > (say) 500 attendees count as a milestone???
(don't profess to know who, what , where..)

Could the first weekender to boast > 500 attendees IN SCOTLAND :wink: be the NEXT big milestone??? :grin:

Whitebeard
12th-December-2004, 08:56 PM
...... a mambo style step ......
And my next question would be .....

But it's OK, I think Mathew's got me thinking on the right lines. I take it that the step back with the left foot takes it back out behind the stationary right foot. So it's a rocking motion forward, back, etc. whilst in ballroom hold and I now recall having done just this added in to the first move at an intermediate class. Thanks folks.

philsmove
12th-December-2004, 09:37 PM
For me it must be competitions

These have showed me Manhattan footwork, Blues and Hip Hop styling at there best. Competitions have defiantly inspired me to improve my dancing

I think, and hope SCD 2, will go down as a milestone in the revival of partner dancing

How to do Manhattan footwork.
New thread please

Yliander
13th-December-2004, 02:16 AM
But it's OK, I think Mathew's got me thinking on the right lines. I take it that the step back with the left foot takes it back out behind the stationary right foot. So it's a rocking motion forward, back, etc. You are correct the left foot moves from stepping in front of your left foot to stepping behind your right foot - which is only sort of stationary - as it is stepping on the spot.

I would describe it as a stepping action rather than rocking motion - and depending on the music depends on how you style the steping.

Well done Matthew for a well written description

Rhythm King
13th-December-2004, 12:03 PM
1) Manhattan footwork.
Imported from NZ (principally by Amir I believe), this move has helped introduce the concept of footwork in way that has been readily assimilated but intermediate dancers and led to whole genre of related moves.

Whilst Amir introduced the "Travelling Manhattan" (One of my favourite moves BTW) there was footwork a-plenty being taught by the excellent Mick Walker, in the Ceroc Central region before this. She came from a Latin Ballroom background and had us doing all manner of Columbians, Paso Doble, Tango and Ballroom Jive footwork patterns, some of which I recently recognised on Strictly Come Dancing.

2) Blues
The main source for this style of dancing was the Nigel & Nina blues workshops from 1999 through to 2001 (since when there have been many imitators). This style of dance opened up a whole new way to dance, interpret music and enjoy music that was previously seen as too slow to dance to.

:yeah: Nigel's musicality and Nina's styling and interpretation, again brought from other dance forms, were (and are) an inspiration

3) Hip Hop styling
I don’t think anyone who saw Dan and Lisa’s mind blowing choreography at the 1999 Ceroc champs could fail but be amazed by what those pair had achieved with a MJ basis. Within two year, a number of the moves Dan used were incorporated into the Ceroc bible … and many other dancers were inspired to ‘funk up’ their dancing. That single performance inspired many others to challenge the boundaries of the then ‘staid’ modern Jive.

I was totally blown away by this, and still watch the video to this day :worthy: . So were the rest of the audience. When Dan and Lisa were disqualified for not doing "Modern Jive" there was outrage and they were invited to repeat their performance during the evening, and to our delight they agreed. Dan also won in another, more conventional category too. This performance also influenced the range of modern music and even the dress sense of a lot of people in the MJ world.

4) Competitions
I think Le Jive had been running competitions since 1997 (?) … but it was the launch of the Chance to Dance UK Champs and the Ceroc Champs that led to an explosion of interested and a parallel increase in the amount of work put in by individual dancers. I watched the 2002 C2D video the other day …. and was amazed at how far the standard has moved in the 2 short years since then. Truly, the spirit of competition has led to a step change in the standard of dancing and the complexity of moves on the circuit.
:yeah:
The comps gave people a chance to see what was going on in different places and gave inspiration to us mere mortals. I think it was also the development of the range of dance holidays and weekenders, where one could be taught by all these fantastic people, that has had a profound impact on raising the general standard amongst the grass roots dancing community.

Sheepman
13th-December-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm rather dubious about trying to assign too much meaning to individual events in the development of MJ, I would say it is more a steady progression, (not necessarily always for the better?) with influences being sought from all sorts of areas. I think different people will have their own defining influences, because of their different dance styles. We don't all have the same people as mentors.

So for me, some of the influences include the following, hopefully some of them will apply to others too (apologies to Gus for some pedantic corrections):-

The first (?) weekender back in 1992 at Minehead, as a "beginner" alongside people like Andy and Rena, just discovering how hilarious dancing into the small hours can be.

Beach Boogie, (starting in 1995) where the enthusiasm, and energy is still matched today, now with dancers of international repute and different styles. Including Nigel and Nina's first(?) blues lesson in 1996 on the prom, in really steamy weather in the middle of the day! (I'm still trying to get past the "beginner" stage in blues.)

The first LeJive competition I attended (either 1995 or 1996?) where I was just blown away by some of the innnovation and standards of the (then) top dancers. Then in 1997 when Nigel and Nina just redefined MJ in their competition performances.

Being inspired by the musicality of top dancers like Robert Cordoba, Amir, and Nigel. And the first lesson I had in musicality (from Nigel at Beach Boogie - 1998?)

In 2002 starting practice for competitions, in an effort to get off the "plateau" that my dancing was stuck on.

I suppose if I was to try and sum it up, it would be a case of "being inspired by top dancers" which is where I think the competitions/weekenders/holidays all play such an important part, as they all have something different to the normal weekly lessons.

Greg

Whitebeard
13th-December-2004, 03:50 PM
I would describe it as a stepping action rather than rocking motion ....
You're right, that was a bad way to describe it. I'll try for something slinky, stylish, and sexy, perhaps with a touch of toe pointing to the right sort of music.

bigdjiver
13th-December-2004, 04:12 PM
You're right, that was a bad way to describe it. I'll try for something slinky, stylish, and sexy, perhaps with a touch of toe pointing to the right sort of music.
Feast ... (http://www.how2mambo.com/)

Gadget
13th-December-2004, 04:55 PM
I think that the introduction of some of the "new style" moves and the 'warmup' is a milestone - especially the shoulder drop and the new version of the Yo-yo {NOT the "slow comb"!}

Why? The moves; because they introduce 'core concepts' that will lead to better dancers and make it easier for them to pick up the intermediate routines. They are simple enough that the concept is easy to grasp, but complex enough that it will take a bit longer to get right and even longer to get good at.
The warmup; because it gets dancers moving.

I think that in one or two years, there will be an even bigger drive for more 'advanced' workshops and today's beginners will make 'better' intermediates.

Jayne
13th-December-2004, 06:35 PM
beginners
I think someone has worked out what Gadget's password is.. :what:

Have some rep!

J :nice:

Whitebeard
14th-December-2004, 01:32 AM
Feast ...
Delicious - so effortlessly stylish.

Franck
14th-December-2004, 02:42 AM
Great topic Gus :D
1) Manhattan footwork.
Imported from NZ (principally by Amir I believe), this move has helped introduce the concept of footwork in way that has been readily assimilated but intermediate dancers and led to whole genre of related moves.Just a correction here, I don't know when Amir brought Manhattans from NZ but we were learning the footwork in Scotland(or the Mambo steps in Ceroc parlance) as far back as Spring 1998 (I had to check old emails / notes to remember the date). In fact if anyone brought Manhattan footowork to Ceroc, it was Viktor!
This was taught in classes as often as other footwork (ie crossovers, side sweeps etc...).
As for the name, I prefer Mambo steps as it describes the move better (as proved by the number of people who asked what a Manhattan was!)

2) Blues
The main source for this style of dancing was the Nigel & Nina blues workshops from 1999 through to 2001 (since when there have been many imitators). This style of dance opened up a whole new way top dance, interpret music and enjoy music that was previously seen as too slow to dance to.Can't disagree here, especially as I'm on record up until 2002 as saying: "I don't do Blues!" :wink:

3) Hip Hop styling
I don’t think anyone who saw Dan and Lisa’s mind blowing choreography at the 1999 Ceroc champs could fail but be amazed by what those pair had achieved with a MJ basis. Within two year, a number of the moves Dan used were incorporated into the Ceroc bible … and many other dancers were inspired to ‘funk up’ their dancing. That single performance inspired many others to challenge the boundaries of the then ‘staid’ modern Jive.That I remember very clearly as a crucial turning point and an inspiration for years to come. This was the first time I had seen music truly interpreted, it was almost balletic.

4) Competitions
I think Le Jive had been running competitions since 1997 (?) … but it was the launch of the Chance to Dance UK Champs and the Ceroc Champs that led to an explosion of interested and a parallel increase in the amount of work put in by individual dancers. I watched the 2002 C2D video the other day …. and was amazed at how far the standard has moved in the 2 short years since then. Truly, the spirit of competition has led to a step change in the standard of dancing and the complexity of moves on the circuit.Yeah, unfortunately true :sad: Eventhough I think competitions are evil (and they are) I can't argue that they have helped raise the standards for a lot of dancers, unfortunately, in doing so, they have also brought the worst out of some dancers who used to simply enjoy dancing...

Stuart M
14th-December-2004, 10:43 AM
Aye - I was about to suggest "Franck's first comb" as one of the milestones. Imagine being able to say "I was there - I saw it" :D

Seriously though, up in Scotland I think the Dundee cabarets represented a milestone. Not just in terms of their competition success, though. From having been in a cabaret team, I know that they act as a sort of greenhouse for improving the dancing technique of all concerned. As a result, Dundee developed a pool of talented dancers.

Anyone up in Jute City care to agree?

Gus
14th-December-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't know when Amir brought Manhattans from NZ but we were learning the footwork in Scotland(or the Mambo steps in Ceroc parlance) as far back as Spring 1998 (I had to check old emails / notes to remember the date). In fact if anyone brought Manhattan footowork to Ceroc, it was Viktor!
This was taught in classes as often as other footwork (ie crossovers, side sweeps etc...). .I dont disagree that footwork existed in MJ before the Manhattan was introduced ... BUT its take up was extremely patchy. I think the most common application was a tripple step that was rarely taught and not in common use by dancers. The Manhattan, and more importantly the West Manhattan, has intoduced the concept of footwork, pivoting and re-introduced the concept of a frame (which can be varied from Latin to Ballroom style easily). The reason I called it significant is that even in the North you could SEE the difference in dancing styles on the dance floor in the 6 months since it was introdcued. Personal view of course.

Franck
14th-December-2004, 11:07 AM
The reason I called it significant is that even in the North you could SEE the difference in dancing styles on the dance floor in the 6 months since it was introdcued. Personal view of course.I agree it was significant and helped a lot in creating a smoother / more stylish dance. I was just correcting your history :wink: and bringing the introduction of the Mambo Steps (manhattans) a few years earlier as I remembered learning and teaching it then!

As for my first Comb, well it certainly was a milestone for me :D

I agree with Stuart that the success of the Dundee team and in particular the spirit in which it was achieved really showed the way.

Most of the milestones I can think of are very personal and localized, ie the first 100 dancers in Glasgow in 1993, the summer when Aberdeen (and indeed Perth) classes took off after a year of survival. The success of the first Edinburgh monthly party in Marco's and every single dancer that I have watched through their dancing progress... :nice:

Franck
14th-December-2004, 11:24 AM
Just re-reading my first post and I maybe wasn't very clear. What I meant then was that the Manhattan footwork was taught then, not just footwork.
I reckon though, thinking about it further, that the biggest change was evolution in musical taste to a smoother (esp. Blues and R&B) style which meant that the Manhattan / Mambo steps became all the rage.
In fact it seems you can do a move these days without adding the extra steps. I think at some point it will be over-danced and will be derided by dance snobs :wink:

ChrisA
14th-December-2004, 11:38 AM
I think at some point it will be over-danced and will be derided by dance snobs :wink:
Well you heard it here first, folks. We've had over-played tracks, now we have the concept of over-danced moves.

I blame the girls for putting up with too much... I mean, if they say "I don't dance Manhattans any more, so please don't do them", and the guy goes on to do one, she has every right to not dance with him any more, doesn't she?

But no, they just carry on, looking like they're enjoying it... :rolleyes:

:whistle:

Rhythm King
14th-December-2004, 11:46 AM
Well you heard it here first, folks. We've had over-played tracks, now we have the concept of over-danced moves.

I blame the girls for putting up with too much... I mean, if they say "I don't dance Manhattans any more, so please don't do them", and the guy goes on to do one, she has every right to not dance with him any more, doesn't she?

But no, they just carry on, looking like they're enjoying it... :rolleyes:

:whistle:

Never mind Chris, if you ever get bored of all those slinky, smooth, stylish moves you do, you can always try Lindy... :wink:

:rofl: :rofl:

ChrisA
14th-December-2004, 11:55 AM
Never mind Chris, if you ever get bored of all those slinky, smooth, stylish moves you do, you can always try Lindy... :wink:

If I do I'll kick you first :wink:

:rofl:

Gus
14th-December-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree it was significant and helped a lot in creating a smoother / more stylish dance. I was just correcting your history :wink: and bringing the introduction of the Mambo Steps (manhattans) a few years earlier as I remembered learning and teaching it then!Ohhhh ... think I may have to counter that ( :devil: ). I remember seeing Manhattans (and the WEST variation) when in NZ in 2000, just after finishing CTA training. I'd never seen such moves in London, or under Michaela tutelage in Peterborough ... and definitely not in CTA training. I know Scotland has always been ahead of the scene ( :worthy: ) but I was told that Ceroc didn’t adopt the Manhattan till last year ... and I'm not sure if they have adopted the West Manhattan at all yet ... are we sure we are talking about the same move?
{Yeah ... I know I'm being pedantic but what the heck ... its all good healthy debate :wink: }

Franck
14th-December-2004, 12:02 PM
Ohhhh ... think I may have to counter that ( :devil: ). I remember seeing Manhattans (and the WEST variation) when in NZ in 2000, just after finishing CTA training. I'd never seen such moves in London, or under Michaela tutelage in Peterborough ... and definitely not in CTA training. I know Scotland has always been ahead of the scene ( :worthy: ) but I was told that Ceroc didn’t adopt the Manhattan till last year ... and I'm not sure if they have adopted the West Manhattan at all yet ... are we sure we are talking about the same move?
{Yeah ... I know I'm being pedantic but what the heck ... its all good healthy debate :wink: }Well, as I say, I first learnt it when I booked Viktor for a Style workshop in Spring 1998 in Edinburgh.
I agree that it probably wasn't introduced to the Ceroc moves bible until much later though, though I can vouch it was taught in London and Scotland before 2000! (and yes I'm quite sure we are talking about the same move, though I'm not sure what you mean by 'West Manhattan' unless you mean the NY district).

Gus
14th-December-2004, 12:12 PM
....though I'm not sure what you mean by 'West Manhattan' unless you mean the NY district.Wheras the Manhattan is based on each partner moving forwards and backward with one foot 'nailed' to the floor, the West manhattan has a pivot sequence in it to allow the guys to lead the couple in the opposite direction ... so, if the guys steps forward to North and back to South the sequence would be fwd(N), bckwd(S), fwd(N), bckwd(S), PIVOT fwd(S), bckwd(N), fwd(S), bckwd(N) ... looks pretty cool as long as you dont both trip over each other. OK .. I know its a lousy illustration, I'm sure the Oracle can explain it far better.

Franck
14th-December-2004, 12:25 PM
Wheras the Manhattan is based on each partner moving forwards and backward with one foot 'nailed' to the floor, the West manhattan has a pivot sequence in it to allow the guys to lead the couple in the opposite direction ... so, if the guys steps forward to North and back to South the sequence would be fwd(N), bckwd(S), fwd(N), bckwd(S), PIVOT fwd(S), bckwd(N), fwd(S), bckwd(N) ... looks pretty cool as long as you dont both trip over each other. OK .. I know its a lousy illustration, I'm sure the Oracle can explain it far better.Ah... the Pivot Mambo Steps :wink:
Very useful, looks and feels great but definitely relies on both the leader / follower having a good frame and leading / following skills...

Gus
14th-December-2004, 12:37 PM
Ah... the Pivot Mambo Steps :wink: ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH .... why cant Ceroc(tm) just use the ORIGINAL name rather than changing i to make it sound like they've come up with a new move :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ( :wink: )

bigdjiver
14th-December-2004, 02:09 PM
Another major milestone - forums, especially this forum.

David Franklin
14th-December-2004, 03:02 PM
Another major milestone - forums, especially this forum. :yeah: :clap:

Dave

Lou
14th-December-2004, 03:25 PM
ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH .... why cant Ceroc(tm) just use the ORIGINAL name rather than changing i to make it sound like they've come up with a new move :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ( :wink: )
Because, by using the word "Steps" it highlights the unusual process of teaching footwork? :devil:

(Only joking, Franck! :flower: )

mick
14th-December-2004, 04:38 PM
Looking at this thread, I'm really glad I'm not an advanced dancer.

Andy McGregor
14th-December-2004, 05:45 PM
ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH .... why cant Ceroc(tm) just use the ORIGINAL name rather than changing i to make it sound like they've come up with a new move :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ( :wink: )
I'm surpised they didn't call it the Ceroc(tm) Step and claim they own the move and insist it's only done by really attractive people under 30 wearing black :devil:

Lounge Lizard
14th-December-2004, 06:45 PM
errrr just a bit pedantic but I think the Mambo and therefore the (extended) Mambo steps were around way before the manhatten steps

Also if I remember correctly the manhaten steps were taught at Camber before amir came over and had been in nigel & Nina workshops back in 1998 (or before)
Andy i like the monthly theme, last month it was have a go at Ceroc for smoking (gone quiet on that one....wonder why:devil: :devil: :devil::grin:)
now it is the age thing - cant wait to see what 2005 brings :wink:
LL

Dance Demon
14th-December-2004, 07:16 PM
- cant wait to see what 2005 brings :wink:

Hopefully a very HAPPY NEW YEAR......with loads of great nights dancing, and brilliant weekenders........and peace and good will to all mankind:D

ChrisA
14th-December-2004, 08:16 PM
... so, if the guys steps forward to North and back to South the sequence would be fwd(N), bckwd(S), fwd(N), bckwd(S), PIVOT fwd(S), bckwd(N), fwd(S), bckwd(N) ...
Whatever this is called in Ceroc terms, it's not the same as the move Amir teaches as the West Manhattan.

The latter involves stepping outside the lady to East and West while the guy turns through North, using frame to ensure she steps in the right direction. Easier to demonstrate than describe, but it's quite different from what Gus describes and what Franck calls a pivot mambo.

Chris

Andy McGregor
14th-December-2004, 11:25 PM
Andy i like the monthly theme, last month it was have a go at Ceroc for smoking (gone quiet on that one....wonder why:devil: :devil: :devil::grin:)

I was having a go at smoking next to the dance floor, and I haven't stopped. Just taking a breath of fresh air :wink:

now it is the age thing - cant wait to see what 2005 brings :wink:
LL

Now, the age thing is definitely a Ceroc dig, but only in a friendly way, banter really :devil:

Gadget
9th-January-2008, 02:36 PM
I think that in one or two years, there will be an even bigger drive for more 'advanced' workshops and today's beginners will make 'better' intermediates.
I wrote that ^ in 2004. Four years on. Was I right?

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2008, 02:59 PM
I was having a go at smoking next to the dance floor,And I posted that 4 years ago. How times have changed.

TA Guy
9th-January-2008, 03:10 PM
My milestones would be;
1) Le Jive competitions, and Ceroc's dumping of their charity marathons to jump on the bandwagon.
2) The subsequent demise of Le Jive leaving Ceroc as the single major player size wise.
3) The 1998+ exodus of franchises, in particular Blitz and Mojive.
3) The influence of Lindy and it's concepts, moves etc. It's place as the 'second dance' and it's subsequent fall from that position.
4) A brief subsequent period of influence from Salsa and other latin dances, none of which quite made it to 'second dance' status but which introduced new concepts and moves.
5) The subsequent slowdown of which Blues/slow MJ is only really a symptom.
6) The first weekender.

Possible milestones in the making.
1) Mike Ellard taking over Ceroc.
2) The rise of WCS and it's influence.
3) The UK's first permanent and custom built dedicated MJ dance hall.

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2008, 03:15 PM
My milestones would be;
3) The influence of Lindy and it's concepts, moves etc. It's place as the 'second dance' and it's subsequent fall from that position.
4) A brief subsequent period of influence from Salsa and other latin dances, none of which quite made it to 'second dance' status but which introduced new concepts and moves.

Possible milestones in the making.
2) The rise of WCS and it's influence.

There seems to be an idea that MJ can become another dance. It's a dance in it's own right with it's own, specific, timing. But we do see moves in other dances and change the timing to fit MJ timing. I'd say that, in addition to the above named dances, a great source of new moves has been Argentine Tango.

killingtime
9th-January-2008, 03:31 PM
A really great thread, Gus :clap:.

I don't really have much in the way of suggests (maybe I haven't been on the scene long enough) but I can see how a lot of the things suggested fit into my own personal milestones when I discovered them.

I was watching a video of some competition dancing in Vancouver (I think Ceroc is relatively new over there) and I noticed a bouncy lead and such (I have no idea what level the people I was watching were at, they could have been considered early intermediates over there for all I know). It made me ponder how their dance style might change depending of the influence of other dance styles over there (such as ballroom, swing, or such); the influence of the way MJ has developed in other countries (so if they have a lot of guest teachers from the UK or NZ); or their own developments leading them along different branches of styles.

It's one of the many things I like about MJ; it feels like a constantly evolving and adapting style.

David Bailey
9th-January-2008, 03:41 PM
I love the discussions about the West Manhattan :rofl:

batnurse
9th-January-2008, 05:50 PM
Aye - I was about to suggest "Franck's first comb" as one of the milestones. Imagine being able to say "I was there - I saw it" :D

Seriously though, up in Scotland I think the Dundee cabarets represented a milestone. Not just in terms of their competition success, though. From having been in a cabaret team, I know that they act as a sort of greenhouse for improving the dancing technique of all concerned. As a result, Dundee developed a pool of talented dancers.

Anyone up in Jute City care to agree?

Lucky enough to be learning from the best :worthy:

StokeBloke
9th-January-2008, 09:21 PM
Marc Forster starts working as a DJ :flower:

Gus
9th-January-2008, 10:25 PM
Funny, looking back at the posts from 2004, one the BIG changes since then was the Jango music ... originally started by Amir but made famous by Kenobi. Whether you liked his music or not TWK made it acceptable for DJs to take a real chance. Up to then the DJ heroes were JB and Lounge Lizard who 'owned' the Swing-Fusion and Blues arenas respectively. For the DJs that came in TWKs footsteps, and I humbly count myself in that genre, new possibilities were opened and, symbiotically, new ways of dancing emerged.

Lee Bartholomew
9th-January-2008, 10:33 PM
Think a big development over the years has been technology. Who would have thought a few years back when the thread started we would be able to watch people dance from the other side of the world or watch instructional dance videos without having to pass a tape around.

Without youtube and the like I would never have even heard of West Coast Swing and no doubt WCS would not be the big thing it is now.

Also how many people have copied a move they have seen off a youtube clip? I know I have. :wink:

Gus
9th-January-2008, 10:36 PM
Think a big development over the years has been technology. Who would have thought a few years back when the thread started we would be able to watch people dance from the other side of the world or watch instructional dance videos without having to pass a tape around.

Without youtube and the like I would never have even heard of West Coast Swing and no doubt WCS would not be the big thing it is now.

Also how many people have copied a move they have seen off a youtube clip? I know I have. :wink:Yeah ... who needs qualified teachers? :rolleyes:

TA Guy
10th-January-2008, 12:45 PM
There seems to be an idea that MJ can become another dance. It's a dance in it's own right with it's own, specific, timing. But we do see moves in other dances and change the timing to fit MJ timing. I'd say that, in addition to the above named dances, a great source of new moves has been Argentine Tango.

Yeah, I debated internally :) whether to add tango/AT, but decided that it didn't quite have the influence of Lindy/Latin/WCS and thus was not a milestone for me. For others, it might be different. Particular DJ :)

gebandemuishond
10th-January-2008, 08:35 PM
3) Hip Hop styling

Does anyone know if this was recorded, and if so, how I can have a look? I don't think I was even in the country back then.

Dan

Gus
10th-January-2008, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if this was recorded, and if so, how I can have a look? I don't think I was even in the country back then.

DanIt used to be on a compilation DVD that Ceroc (Evil Empire Inc) released .... seemed to have been culled from lots of private video that was shot on the day. I think its on a DVD called "Finals Compilation" ... but better to phone and ask ... unless someone can post the clip online as a don't believe that Ceroc HQ has rights to that footage :devil:

bigdjiver
11th-January-2008, 02:22 AM
It used to be on a compilation DVD that Ceroc (Evil Empire Inc) released .... seemed to have been culled from lots of private video that was shot on the day. I think its on a DVD called "Finals Compilation" ... but better to phone and ask ... unless someone can post the clip online as a don't believe that Ceroc HQ has rights to that footage :devil:Apologies if someone has already posted this - but youtube has got to be one of the milestones.

:devil:I am so tempted to put championship clips up on youtube myself - even though I would be breaking copyright law and might be acting against the wishes of the participants. There have been so many dances that inspired me, and I want to share.:tears: