PDA

View Full Version : Power

Bigger Andy
10th-December-2004, 02:08 PM
Continued from the "Silly Week" thread ...

Hey wheres my power gone!

:sick:

What we need is a definitive answer from the powers that be !

Perhaps start a new thread to raise it's profile ?

Has a scaling been applied ?

Bangers & Mash
10th-December-2004, 02:20 PM
Continued from the "Silly Week" thread ...

Has a scaling been applied ?

Well, when you consider that Drathzel the omnipresent has a power of 1 with over 400 rep points, whilst Feeling Pink with 41 rep points also has a power of 1, but philsmove with 406 points has a power of 2, and my power just dropped...

I can't see a pattern.

Perhaps it is the Gods (and tiggerbabe :flower: )

MartinHarper
10th-December-2004, 02:30 PM
It looks to me like the rep power for having high rep has been removed/reduced, but the rep power for being here a long time has been kept.

Graham
10th-December-2004, 02:34 PM
There is also a component from number of posts, but the starting threshold on this appears to be quite high.

drathzel
10th-December-2004, 02:35 PM
Well, when you consider that Drathzel the omnipresent , (and tiggerbabe :flower: )

:blush: :blush:

I just noticed that! It could be due to the amount of rep being given out by friends for just being friends rather than for what they have to say, there for giving them more power to then neg rep people they dont like (aren't friends with) and therefore reducing their power!!! MMMMMM Looks like a job for a super sleuth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR we could just ask Mr Pauly to give us his actual reasoning!

:hug:

Graham
10th-December-2004, 03:13 PM
:blush: :blush:

I just noticed that! It could be due to the amount of rep being given out by friends for just being friends rather than for what they have to say, there for giving them more power to then neg rep people they dont like (aren't friends with) and therefore reducing their power!!! MMMMMM Looks like a job for a super sleuth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think the parameters have been set specially to ensure that you get the minimum power available :wink:

Lynn
10th-December-2004, 05:16 PM
It looks to me like the rep power for having high rep has been removed/reduced, but the rep power for being here a long time has been kept. Looks like it -

eg person A could be on the forum less than 6 months, have a rep of almost 1000 and over 500 posts and have rep of 2. Person B maybe on the forum over a year, has a rep of less than 20 and only about 150 posts and a rep of 3. So length of time on the forum has more bearing than rep other people have given you or how many posts you have made.

Surely the rep you have received from other people should be part of how much rep you can give, even if the number of posts isn't included? You can build up a lot of posts but not say very much, but rep given generally reflects what you have said (though there may be some 'friendly' rep at times). I think what you have said should have as much 'power' as how long you have been on the forum.

philsmove
10th-December-2004, 05:24 PM
Well, , but philsmove with 406 points has a power of 2,

Now I know whats gorn wrong today yesterday I was power 10

Magic Hans
10th-December-2004, 05:29 PM
I thought that it was He-man who had the power!!

Hang on a sec. Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker use the Force

Power = Force x Velocity

So, maybe Power has something to do with how quickly I can get to the Death Star??

[Who was Luke's dad again?? Wasn't Franck was it??? :confused: ]

Got me thinking now, that has!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Rhythm King
10th-December-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm sure they just keep changng the power ratings to provoke more posts and keep the forum usage up! Trouble is, those people who got massive ratings during the period of high power are streets ahead of the mere mortals who now have no chance of ever catching up. :sad:

Bangers & Mash
10th-December-2004, 05:43 PM
I thought that it was He-man who had the power!!

Hang on a sec. Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker use the Force

Power = Force x Velocity

So, maybe Power has something to do with how quickly I can get to the Death Star??

[Who was Luke's dad again?? Wasn't Franck was it??? :confused: ]

Got me thinking now, that has!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ahh, but

Force = Mass * Acceleration

so

Power = Mass * Acceleration * Velocity

sounds like this may be something to do with size of dance partner and how fast they can spin!

Watch out for the big numbers!! :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
10th-December-2004, 08:14 PM
how fast they can spin

Which we all know depends on how pretty their shoes are :whistle: :whistle:

Bangers & Mash
10th-December-2004, 08:16 PM
Which we all know depends on how pretty their shoes are :whistle: :whistle:

so ultimately

power = shoes

got it :rofl:

Andy McGregor
10th-December-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey wheres my power gone!

Kryptonite, obviously.

But what colour is it?

.. plus, the whole equation should obviously read;

POWER = SHOES X GLITTER

Lory
10th-December-2004, 10:28 PM
ooooooh errrrrrr :really:

I think I've had the most severe 'power cut' of everyone! :eek:

What did I do :confused: I'm down from 35 to 5! :tears:

I feel positivily weak! :sick: :rofl:

ChrisA
10th-December-2004, 10:34 PM
I feel positivily weak! :sick: :rofl:

..... :yeah:

How come power's no longer related to points? Andy's got about 100 fewer points than I have, and he's still got a greater power - we've switched over in the last couple of days...(age before beauty, eh? :wink: :D:D:D )

And how come Sheena's still got a power of 20, then?

What are moderators doing giving rep anyway???

It's all rigged, I tell you. :rofl:

:devil:

Bangers & Mash
10th-December-2004, 10:37 PM
It's all rigged, I tell you.

How come Sheena's still got a power of 20, then?

stilettos? :wink:

ChrisA
10th-December-2004, 10:37 PM
stilettos? :wink:
I might have some... :innocent:

Lory
10th-December-2004, 11:39 PM
Look, i have to confess... I deserved it, :blush: I've not been taking the forum at all seriously lately, :rolleyes:

I mean, the other day, when ZW talked of her distress at Hipsters, when she was injured due to her slot tightening!

Did I comfort her? NO! I laughed! :whistle:

Then when Greg tried to explain how it was normal for people to dip in and out of other peoples slots but he felt his personal space had only been invaded when people came at his slot from all different angles and stayed there, (I know it's bad but I laughed even more)

Then Gadget wrote about his need to 'Bum nudge' people out of his slot! (snigger)

Then to cap it off David Franklin wrote this

For sake of argument, suppose your comfort zone is 12 inches. As you move forwards, I stay 12 inches behind you - is that a problem? Well, yes, because now you can't move backwards without breaking the 12 inch, so your options are limited. So you decide to swap places with your partner, but unfortuately my evil doppelganger is doing the same thing to her :eek: Dave :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did I sympathise???? Hell NO, :rofl: :rofl: I'm telling you all! I'm BAAD! Horrid and BAAD, :devil: Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've got any points left at all! :wink:

Bangers & Mash
10th-December-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm telling you all! I'm BAAD! Horrid and BAAD, :devil: Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've got any points left at all! :wink:

You're worried. I had to send off a bribe to keep my power at 1.

In fact, it was a direct debit :tears:

Andy McGregor
11th-December-2004, 09:49 AM
..... :yeah:

How come power's no longer related to points? Andy's got about 100 fewer points than I have, and he's still got a greater power - we've switched over in the last couple of days...(age before beauty, eh? :wink: :D:D:D )

I think this difference is related to glitter and shoes. I have used these words in posts more than Chris so I get more power.

Glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter, shoes, glitter shoes, glitter, shoes.

Also, I've probably received a few more positive rep points than ChrisA - but these will have been balanced by a much larger number of negative points :devil:

Andy McGregor
11th-December-2004, 09:54 AM
glitter, shoes
There's another theory disproved, my power is still 8 :tears:

Maybe I chose the wrong colour :confused:

ChrisA
11th-December-2004, 11:18 AM
to dip in and out of other peoples slots

Ok, well in the same vein, am I the only person that thinks FeelingPink's forum name is a bit rude ?? :devil:

Simon r
11th-December-2004, 11:29 AM
Ok, well in the same vein, am I the only person that thinks FeelingPink's forum name is a bit rude ?? :devil:You have been reading to much Viz or Punch young man ....fnarrrr fnarrr

Lory
11th-December-2004, 12:02 PM
Ok, well in the same vein, am I the only person that thinks FeelingPink's forum name is a bit rude ?? :devil:

I want to know who 'Pink' is? :D

Andy McGregor
11th-December-2004, 12:32 PM

Not 'who', but where?

Dreadful Scathe
11th-December-2004, 12:51 PM
Im feeling blue today ! hmm

Zebra Woman
11th-December-2004, 01:04 PM
12 inches....snip..- is that a problem?

:rolleyes:

Now......let me think......

ChrisA
11th-December-2004, 01:22 PM
12 inches....snip..- is that a problem?

:rolleyes:

Now......let me think......

Well it wasn't till then :tears:

:wink: :rofl:

Rhythm King
12th-December-2004, 07:16 PM
Not 'who', but where?

As a matter of fact, I happen to know exactly where FeelingPink is (and who :wink: )

Feelingpink
12th-December-2004, 07:29 PM

Some people seem to think that, Silver Fox included ... but it wasn't meant to be.

Get Rhythm King to introduce us ... hmmm ... I've danced with RobC, been introduced to Andy McGregor (although I don't think he was listening) and danced with ChrisA and Sparkles (although not at the same time) ... Still don't know?

Feelingpink
12th-December-2004, 07:30 PM
As a matter of fact, I happen to know exactly where FeelingPink is (and who :wink: )

I'd hope you know who I am, but are you sure you know WHERE? :wink:

Rhythm King
12th-December-2004, 07:47 PM
I'd hope you know who I am, but are you sure you know WHERE? :wink:
Derr - sat at your Powermac, if you're posting on this forum :wink:

Feelingpink
12th-December-2004, 07:58 PM
Derr - sat at your Powermac, if you're posting on this forum :wink:

Powerbook ... and did you know they can be unplugged & carried around to be plugged in other places?

Oh no, this makes me think about earlier posts on this thread :devil: ... I can see it all going upstairs VERY soon .... :eek:

bobgadjet
12th-December-2004, 11:26 PM
Look, i have to confess... I deserved it, :blush: I've not been taking the forum at all seriously lately, :rolleyes:

I mean, the other day, when ZW talked of her distress at Hipsters, when she was injured due to her slot tightening!

Did I comfort her? NO! I laughed! :whistle:

Then when Greg tried to explain how it was normal for people to dip in and out of other peoples slots but he felt his personal space had only been invaded when people came at his slot from all different angles and stayed there, (I know it's bad but I laughed even more)

Then Gadget wrote about his need to 'Bum nudge' people out of his slot! (snigger)

Then to cap it off David Franklin wrote this :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did I sympathise???? Hell NO, :rofl: :rofl: I'm telling you all! I'm BAAD! Horrid and BAAD, :devil: Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've got any points left at all! :wink:

Lory........................REALLY
I'm surprised at you ! ! ! ! !

Your mind is, well it's, it's, well, . . . . . .like mine ! !

I've just notice the rep, points & power thing, having been away from the forum for a while, and can't get to grips with it. Have I been missing something really important?

Confused? YES I am quite frankly. Never mind, no change there then.

drathzel
13th-December-2004, 12:57 AM
so ultimately

power = shoes

got it :rofl:

oh then wait to you see the shoes i am getting for christmas! I'll cetainly have lots of power then!!!

Andy McGregor
13th-December-2004, 12:48 PM
been introduced to Andy McGregor (although I don't think he was listening)

That must have been at the Jive Masters - people seemed to be talking at me from every angle at the same time, sorry :blush:

Rhythm King
13th-December-2004, 12:59 PM
That must have been at the Jive Masters - people seemed to be talking at me from every angle at the same time, sorry :blush:
Nope - it was about the same time you introduced to your wife, at Hipsters. Any wiser yet?
BTW I think you'll find the secret to power is Shoes & SPARKLES - just ask the Forum Queen :wink:

Sparkles
13th-December-2004, 02:19 PM
Nope - it was about the same time you introduced to your wife, at Hipsters. Any wiser yet?
BTW I think you'll find the secret to power is Shoes & SPARKLES - just ask the Forum Queen :wink:
If only that were true... but my power has been seriously depleated too :tears:
The only people that seem to still have massive amounts of power are the moderators (not that they don't deserve them :worthy: ).
My theory goes like this:
Franck realised that unless he reduced everyone's power soon people were going to end up with so much rep that he would run out of space for his little green pips! :eek:
Any more theories out there?

S. x

Lynn
13th-December-2004, 06:05 PM
My theory goes like this:
Franck realised that unless he reduced everyone's power soon people were going to end up with so much rep that he would run out of space for his little green pips! :eek: Maybe the green pips could be exchanged for another colour once you have a certain amount - eg 5 green pips equals one blue one?

Gojive
13th-December-2004, 06:18 PM
Maybe the green pips could be exchanged for another colour once you have a certain amount - eg 5 green pips equals one blue one?

A bit like Green Shield Stamps? :wink:

philsmove
13th-December-2004, 08:45 PM
Any more theories out there?

S. x

yes its Franks devious contribution to Silly week :rofl:

MartinHarper
13th-December-2004, 11:22 PM
I intend to compensate by giving five times as much "neg rep".

Northants Girly
14th-December-2004, 12:20 AM
I intend to compensate by giving five times as much "neg rep".I don't think doing that makes any difference . . . . . I've given you loads :whistle:

Gojive
14th-December-2004, 12:25 AM
I intend to compensate by giving five times as much "neg rep".

Well as I understand it, neg rep only counts for half the giver's power.....therefore, with a power of just two Martin, you could only neg rep me to the tune of one point at a time. Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero - so I say, give it yer best shot!! :waycool: :D

(ps, only joking, M - please don't try it, in case my theory is wrong :blush: :whistle: :tears: :flower: )

Northants Girly
14th-December-2004, 12:30 AM
Well as I understand it, neg rep only counts for half the giver's power.....therefore, with a power of just two Martin, you could only neg rep me to the tune of one point at a time. Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero - so I say, give it yer best shot!! :waycool: :D

(ps, only joking, M - please don't try it, in case my theory is wrong :blush: :whistle: :tears: :flower: )Lets put Gojive's theory to the test . . . everyone give Martin neg rep NOW ! :devil:

Trousers
14th-December-2004, 12:32 AM
Lets put Gojive's theory to the test . . . everyone give Martin neg rep NOW ! :devil:
How tempting is that?

Gojive
14th-December-2004, 12:33 AM
Lets put Gojive's theory to the test . . . everyone give Martin neg rep NOW ! :devil:

:rofl:

In theory though, there's no difference between practice and theory, but I'm afraid in practice there is!...oooh, I seem to have confused myself a little there! :blush: :blush: :tears: :na:

Magic Hans
14th-December-2004, 01:09 AM

In theory though, there's no difference between practice and theory, but I'm afraid in practice there is!...oooh, I seem to have confused myself a little there! :blush: :blush: :tears: :na:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds sound to me!! I .... errrr .... think!
:D

Lynn
14th-December-2004, 03:11 PM
Now all the rep points have gone! So what is the point in giving/getting any rep points at all if they are going to be wiped out?

Franck
14th-December-2004, 03:14 PM
Any more theories out there?Just this one :nice:

Over the last few months, I have studied and experimented with the Rep system, which created an unfair situation depending on how much power was afforded from one week to the next.
I quickly realised that Reputation suffered from an inflation problem, and decided to reduce the Power margins.
You still get power for being an old member of the forum, and for posting a lot of posts, as well as for having high rep, but as of today, I have reset all reputation levels, so we are all starting with a 'clean sheet'.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and if you recently gave rep for any post, which has now disappeared, you can do so again!

Dreadful Scathe
14th-December-2004, 03:25 PM
Noticing the new power ratings and how the extremely attractive female forumites on here are bound to reward sincere flattery - can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?

drathzel
14th-December-2004, 03:30 PM
Just this one :nice:

Over the last few months, I have studied and experimented with the Rep system, which created an unfair situation depending on how much power was afforded from one week to the next.
I quickly realised that Reputation suffered from an inflation problem, and decided to reduce the Power margins.
You still get power for being an old member of the forum, and for posting a lot of posts, as well as for having high rep, but as of today, I have reset all reputation levels, so we are all starting with a 'clean sheet'.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and if you recently gave rep for any post, which has now disappeared, you can do so again!

Thank you franck! You are totally right! Rep is good for letting someone know how you feel about a post but some people, myself included where often just giving it cuz we liked the person! People then were building up power and using it for the wrong reasons! Thanks again franck! :hug:

Yeahy the power balance has been restored! :clap:

MartinHarper
14th-December-2004, 03:36 PM
Given that my 360 points (approx) are worth just one point anyhow, IMHO it would take an awful lot to bring me down to zero.

Famous last words? :)

Lou
14th-December-2004, 03:49 PM
can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?
:what: Wash your mouth out!

(Oh, and we other ladies aren't lovely then? :devil: )

Sparkles
14th-December-2004, 03:58 PM
OK, reducing the amount of rep people have because it's getting to rediculous levels, I can see the point of. Reducing repping power to prevent the exponential growth of rep, I can see the point of. Setting everyone practically back at zero again?????
You've got to be kidding!
A lot of people have put a lot of hard work time and effort into their posts on this forum and rep, given where it's due, has been a good thing on the whole (although a few blips have been encountered, admittedly). It's annoying that after seeing rep build up it's now all gone again.
It also now means that there's no indication to new members of the forum who the active/well-respecated posters are (yes I am aware that rep was only an approximate measure of this anyway).

Why have you done it, Franck? :sad:

Feeling thoroughly depressed,
Sparkles.

Lynn
14th-December-2004, 04:03 PM
A lot of people have put a lot of hard work time and effort into their posts on this forum and rep, given where it's due, has been a good thing on the whole (although a few blips have been encountered, admittedly). It's annoying that after seeing rep build up it's now all gone again.
It also now means that there's no indication to new members of the forum who the active/well-respecated posters are (yes I am aware that rep was only an approximate measure of this anyway). Maybe, instead of everyone being back to 10, existing rep over 10 could have been reduced to a 10th? So someone with 500 rep points could now have 50 etc. That would have brought the rep down, but also have given some indication of the current rep of forum members.

Or even a smaller fraction if it was felt necessary but something to indicate their existing rep?

Franck
14th-December-2004, 04:06 PM
Why have you done it, Franck? :sad:Sorry :blush:

I had to do it that way because there was no other way. Most of the top rep people had reached dizzying heights very quickly. Unfortunately, it had to be all or nothing.

I am convinced that the normal hierarchy will be resumed shortly, but hopefully at a more moderate level.

Sparkles
14th-December-2004, 04:20 PM
Sorry :blush:

I had to do it that way because there was no other way. Most of the top rep people had reached dizzying heights very quickly. Unfortunately, it had to be all or nothing.

I am convinced that the normal hierarchy will be resumed shortly, but hopefully at a more moderate level.

I'm sorry to go off at you :hug: , I just felt a bit snappy because it seems like such a shame.
I agree that 1/10 (or some other proportion) of the original rep would have been better (and if 1/10 would be less than the original 10 starting points for some people then maybe they should just go back to 10?).
I know that you probably didn't want to have a big debate about it, but it might also have been nice to ask for suggestions like this one? Just a thought.
The other thing, of course, was that most of my (and I'm sure some other people's) weight in the forum was due to the fact that my rep had built up. I've only been here 6 months and I try not to just post for the sake of posting, but make constructive comments. This means that I have relatively few posts and a relatively short amount of time on the forum and my power in no way reflects my contribution to the forum. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram about it, but it certainly seems a bit unfair.

I know you're doing your best, Franck, and as you say, I'm sure the balance will sort itself out soon enough.

S. x

Lynn
14th-December-2004, 04:32 PM
I agree that 1/10 (or some other proportion) of the original rep would have been better (and if 1/10 would be less than the original 10 starting points for some people then maybe they should just go back to 10?). I had thought of that too, so that the lowest rep anyone would have would have been 10 and the highest rep people would have had 100 or so, which would have been more representative of standing on the forum, but not as big a gap as 10 and 1000 plus, which is how it was for a new person.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-December-2004, 04:33 PM
:what: Wash your mouth out!

(Oh, and we other ladies aren't lovely then? :devil: )
All ladies are lovely, am I the sort of man to say otherwise :innocent:, but they were the only 3 females i quickly noticed had a power of one - you have the power of 3 and 'giving me 3' isn't funny :)

Franck
14th-December-2004, 05:05 PM
I had thought of that too, so that the lowest rep anyone would have would have been 10 and the highest rep people would have had 100 or so, which would have been more representative of standing on the forum, but not as big a gap as 10 and 1000 plus, which is how it was for a new person.I really wanted to do something like that and there was no (at least none I could find, and I spent a lot of time looking) way to implement that kind of graded reduction.
The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others, or because they received more positive rep, but because at the time they posted the Power levels were artificially high.
This was dispiriting for the vast majority of posters who had no hope of ever catching up!

Lynn
14th-December-2004, 05:12 PM
I really wanted to do something like that and there was no (at least none I could find, and I spent a lot of time looking) way to implement that kind of graded reduction.
The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others, or because they received more positive rep, but because at the time they posted the Power levels were artificially high.
This was dispiriting for the vast majority of posters who had no hope of ever catching up! I thought it might be something software related, that there were limited options and settings. As rep is an ongoing thing, I guess those who post useful/entertaining/worthwhile comments will build up rep again anyway, not to the same levels, but to comparative standing on the forum - ie much the same people at the top, just not such a big gap.

We know you work hard to make this forum a great place Franck :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-December-2004, 05:16 PM
The problem is that for a while the Power levels were so high that it created a situation where a dozen people reached dizzying heights, not because their posts were better than others

Yes they were. Far better. Wheres your proof ? :)

Rhythm King
14th-December-2004, 05:21 PM

In the pudding of course! If you're a very good Smurf, you can have it on Christmas Day, complete with flaming brandy and rum butter :yum: QED (quote edibly delicious)

Andy McGregor
14th-December-2004, 05:28 PM
:yeah:

The good news, for me anyway, is that all the negative rep comments I've received have also disappeared :clap:

drathzel
14th-December-2004, 05:30 PM
I really wanted to do something like that and there was no (at least none I could find, and I spent a lot of time looking) way to implement that kind of graded reduction.
This was dispiriting for the vast majority of posters who had no hope of ever catching up!

I think what you did was very fair. Some people were using it as a way of showing how popular they were. Its not a popularity contest!!! I give rep because of what people have to say (or if i am in a good mood i randomly give rep!)! Anyway, for all those people who had lots of rep because the deserved it will rise again! So what are you all worried about!!!!

Lynn
14th-December-2004, 05:36 PM
Anyway, for all those people who had lots of rep because the deserved it will rise again! Exactly. With the new 'power' levels, those with less rep would never have been able to catch up with those at the top, no matter how many wonderful posts they made. Everyone starts equal, and it will balance out again.

drathzel
14th-December-2004, 05:46 PM
Exactly. With the new 'power' levels, those with less rep would never have been able to catch up with those at the top, no matter how many wonderful posts they made. Everyone starts equal, and it will balance out again.

I really want to say:- isn't that life! but i feel if i do then it will turn into another thread which should probably best not be started!

I just think that this way everyone will be encouraged to join in and post, not feeling inadequate, because everyone has a contribution to make!

Let the little people speak! (that includes you smurf boy!) :hug:

drathzel
14th-December-2004, 06:06 PM
just to explain to the person that neg rep-ed me with this comment

exclamation marks are for exclamations. Use question marks for questions. Eg "What are you all worried about?"

What are you all worried about was said as a statement and not as a question. I did not expect an answer! Therefore i can exclaim it as a statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElaineB
14th-December-2004, 06:34 PM
Noticing the new power ratings and how the extremely attractive female forumites on here are bound to reward sincere flattery - can ElaineB, Northants Girly and Trish all give me one ?

I'll do anything for flattery, so have just given you one - I hope you noticed! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

Lou
14th-December-2004, 06:36 PM
exclamation marks are for exclamations. Use question marks for questions. Eg "What are you all worried about?"
Don't you just hate it when someone asks you a question and you don't know whether it's rhetorical or not?

(btw..... it wasn't me!)

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 09:58 AM
Don't you just hate it when someone asks you a question and you don't know whether it's rhetorical or not?

(btw..... it wasn't me!)

I know it wasn't you!!! I know who it was!!!

Cool avatar!!! Very chrismassy!!!! :worthy:

MartinHarper
15th-December-2004, 10:26 AM
What are you all worried about was said as a statement and not as a question. I did not expect an answer!

Rhetorical questions take question marks.

Therefore i can exclaim it as a statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less is more.

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 10:32 AM
Less is more.

What ? Surely size matters ? :D

Andy McGregor
15th-December-2004, 10:47 AM
(btw..... it wasn't me!)

Wasn't me either. But I think we can guess who it was.

IMHO, giving negative rep for incorrect usage of English is inappropriate. As far as I can see, Franck's intention with the reputation system is to inform the reader about the credibility of the person who is posting - at least in the eyes of the other forum members. This enables the reader to decide if a particular persons post is likely to be good or bad, sensible, nice or nasty, funny or dull, intelligent or stupid, etc: without having to read every post that forum member has posted. Therefore the reputation score adds weight to the view posted. But, not using a "?" does not make someone a lightweight - does it?

If we were to also give negative reputation for bad punctuation or spelling it would make it difficult to interpret the reputation score of any individual. Also, most of us would have a negative reputation score :tears:

Please can we all agree that we won't give negative reputation for incorrect spelling and use of English until there is an automatic spelling and grammar check on the forum? :flower:

Andy McGregor
15th-December-2004, 10:48 AM

Do you mean small isn't big?

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 11:34 AM
Please can we all agree that we won't give negative reputation for incorrect spelling and use of English until there is an automatic spelling and grammar check on the forum? :flower:

Can we all agree? You're having a laugh aint cha ?! :) (I wasn't sure if that was rhetorical or not so I put both symbols ;) )

The forum automatic spell and grammar checker is called 'Heather' :)

MartinHarper
15th-December-2004, 12:14 PM
Giving negative rep for incorrect usage of English is inappropriate.

I see that giving positive rep for correct usage of English doesn't generate quite the same molehill to mountain conversion rate.

Magic Hans
15th-December-2004, 12:34 PM
Less is more.

NAH

The BIGGER, the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more the merrier! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Or BBC, as I like to say! Big, Blunt and Crude!

Just ask an American!!! lol

[returning to reality shortly!]

It's not the size of the dog in the fight .... it's the size of the fight in the dog!

[ .... hmmmmm ..... what's that got to do with the price of strawberries!]

Northants Girly
15th-December-2004, 12:37 PM
I think we all should agree not to take the rep system too seriously! :flower:

Lou
15th-December-2004, 12:40 PM
[ .... hmmmmm ..... what's that got to do with the price of strawberries!]
:rolleyes: "?" :whistle:

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 12:44 PM
I think what you did was very fair. Some people were using it as a way of showing how popular they were. Its not a popularity contest!!! I give rep because of what people have to say (or if i am in a good mood i randomly give rep!)! Anyway, for all those people who had lots of rep because the deserved it will rise again! So what are you all worried about!!!!

It's not a case of being 'worried'.
I'm not going to go into this because I'm not sure if you're indicating a reference to my posts here or not. I'm hoping not.
S. x

under par
15th-December-2004, 12:55 PM

I agree with Northants Girly, the rep system is over-discussed and creates more hot air and gusto than it deserves to.

If it takes away some of the fun and enjoyment of the forum for enough people then it should go.
:flower:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 12:57 PM

but of course! (especially with chocolate and glitter on your shoes!!!)

Although its not always the size of the ship, but the motion in the ocean! :devil:

ToeTrampler
15th-December-2004, 01:02 PM
giving negative rep for incorrect usage of English is inappropriate.

I ha've too conker with ewe on that won deer chap :D

I see that giving positive rep for correct usage of English doesn't generate quite the same molehill to mountain conversion rate.

I would assume that's because, although slightly pointless perhaps, rep of this type is not ill mannered, pedantic and potentially prejudice.

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 01:02 PM
It's not a case of being 'worried'.
I'm not going to go into this because I'm not sure if you're indicating a reference to my posts here or not. I'm hoping not.
S. x

OK just to straighten out to all you people who read my post! I didn't mean to start something by suggesting this and to be honest the people that have commented or spoken to me about this aren't the ones i was on about. I believe MOST rep is given for the right reasons, i was just saying that some people were using it for other means!

If you have ever recieved rep from me you will always see that it is for a good post, something funny or some other legit reason, not just cuz!!!! And if you have recieved rep from me then you are not one of the people i was commenting on! In fact i am not actually commenting about individual people!

:hug: Big hugs to everyone! :hug:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 01:04 PM
I would assume that's because, although slightly pointless perhaps, rep of this type is not ill mannered, pedantic and potentially prejudice.

Woo Hoo!!! Well said :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy:

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 01:06 PM
OK just to straighten out to all you people who read my post! I didn't mean to start something by suggesting this and to be honest the people that have commented or spoken to me about this aren't the ones i was on about. I believe MOST rep is given for the right reasons, i was just saying that some people were using it for other means!

If you have ever recieved rep from me you will always see that it is for a good post, something funny or some other legit reason, not just cuz!!!! And if you have recieved rep from me then you are not one of the people i was commenting on! In fact i am not actually commenting about individual people!

:hug: Big hugs to everyone! :hug:

I'm glad you straightened us all out on what you meant.
Thanks.

OK, so, time to forget discussing the repping system now...
... chocolate, shoes and glitter are always much more exciting anyway! :rolleyes: :flower: :clap: :clap:

S. x

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm glad you straightened us all out on what you meant.
Thanks.

OK, so, time to forget discussing the repping system now...
... chocolate, shoes and glitter are always much more exciting anyway! :rolleyes: :flower: :clap: :clap:

S. x

Just wait till crimbo then, i am getting chocolate, new dance shoes with glitter and i am getting to dance in Belfast!!! WooHoo!!! :clap:

Magic Hans
15th-December-2004, 01:09 PM

Oi!! I think you've overdone you're quota of P's in that last sentence!!!!

Give some back!!

:na: :na: :na: :na:

Rhythm King
15th-December-2004, 01:14 PM

Give some back!!

Stop taking the P's!

under par
15th-December-2004, 01:23 PM
Stop taking the P's!

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 01:28 PM
Stop taking the P's!

only when you learn to mind your q's

under par
15th-December-2004, 01:31 PM
Stop taking the P's!

If he don't stop taking the P's ............. put him on his R's :flower:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 01:49 PM
:rofl: :worthy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :worthy:

Lou
15th-December-2004, 02:00 PM
Come on - give Ps a chance!

Divissima
15th-December-2004, 02:01 PM
I believe MOST rep is given for the right reasons, i was just saying that some people were using it for other means!
:hug: Big hugs to everyone! :hug:Well, although there has been (and, it appears, will continue to be) considerable amounts of discussion on the forum about the rep system, and in particular about negative rep points and comments received, I'm not sure it's true to say there are 'right' or 'wrong' reasons for giving reputation points (whether positive or negative).

It's a facility which Franck has chosen to enable for the forum members to use as they see fit - unless there's some suggestion that the moderators should moderate rep points and comments made (this is not a suggestion I would endorse, by the way o' lovely moderators). So far as I know there aren't official rules for using the system (it would probably be silly to try to impose any) and so we all need to find our own way of using the system responsibly.

So while I agree there are some irresponsible or annoying ways to use the system (by sending pedantic or even abusive comments), I don't see these as being 'wrong', although they may be impolite and cause upset and I would not like to be on the receiving end of one. Just as I don't see how it is 'wrong' to send positive rep points for any reason other than to endorse the views expressed in a particular post.

My personal preference would be to do away with rep altogether (I can't really see what it adds to the forum in practical terms - except to generate endless amounts of debate). I can, however, respect that many forum members do see merit in the system. So as long as it is there, I will continue to use it as I have always done, whether or not that is the 'correct' way.

La Diva (a lone voice against the rep system??)

PS right backatcha with a hug, Drathzel :hug:

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 02:04 PM

Psst! Just so you know, we're on to chocolate, shoes and glitter now :wink:
Speaking of which... I don't suppose I could lend you a dress for a comp could I? :cheers: - wish I'd seen you in it :cool:

Divissima
15th-December-2004, 02:07 PM
Psst! Just so you know, we're on to chocolate, shoes and glitter now :wink:Well, I'm all in favour of those, may I just say (just so my position is clear). I'm a bit late to the party on rep discussions - apologies......

Speaking of which... I don't suppose I could lend you a dress for a comp could I? :cheers: - wish I'd seen you in it :cool:If only I had a competition to wear it for (maybe Blackpool). I felt like an Amazon warrior in it (bit skimpy about the thighs, though). You are a star (have some rep :devil: )

Lynn
15th-December-2004, 02:07 PM
but of course! (especially with chocolate and glitter on your shoes!!!) But what if I don't want chocolate on my shoes? :tears: Now glitter, that's different! :clap:

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 02:10 PM
If only I had a competition to wear it for (maybe Blackpool). I felt like an Amazon warrior in it (bit skimpy about the thighs, though). You are a star (have some rep :devil: )

Men aren't safe with both you and Jayne dressed up for a comp...
Chris and Toby are foaming at the mouth as we speak :drool:

under par
15th-December-2004, 02:11 PM

Not a lone voice Divi

I agree with Northants Girly, the rep system is over-discussed and creates more hot air and gusto than it deserves to.

If it takes away some of the fun and enjoyment of the forum for enough people then it should go.

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 02:16 PM
Not a lone voice Divi

if you're against it so much, stop talking about it :rolleyes:
come and join us in the happy world of shoes, glitter and chocolate :hug:
(oh, and hugs :hug: )
S. x

ToeTrampler
15th-December-2004, 02:23 PM

Well said. You'll never catch me taking this points/rep business too seriously :whistle:

ToeTrampler
15th-December-2004, 02:28 PM

Give some back!!

Apologies Magic,

I hope I haven't left you in desperate need of a P :what:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 02:35 PM
PS right backatcha with a hug, Drathzel :hug:

Aww thanks
:nice:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 02:37 PM
But what if I don't want chocolate on my shoes? :tears: Now glitter, that's different! :clap:

I promise not to put chocolate on your shoes! But i can't promise i wont be eating it if we dance!!! :hug:

drathzel
15th-December-2004, 02:38 PM
Well said. You'll never catch me taking this points/rep business too seriously :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I just stole a p! Well ok i didn't steal on purpose, i just accidentally p-ed myself!!

Dx :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure it's true to say there are 'right' or 'wrong' reasons for giving reputation points (whether positive or negative).

The only big deal in the past was with unnamed negative rep that got a bit too personal - that to me was an abuse of the system and Franck put a stop to it. Apart from that, it was a novelty and most people treated it as such. People are always going to view rep differently and their views will clash with others views.
This is the perfect time for Franck to revert to zero, now that people are used to it and its not a big deal anymore.

Andy McGregor
15th-December-2004, 02:49 PM
The only big deal in the past was with unnamed negative rep that got a bit too personal - that to me was an abuse of the system and Franck put a stop to it. Apart from that, it was a novelty and most people treated it as such. People are always going to view rep differently and their views will clash with others views.
This is the perfect time for Franck to revert to zero, now that people are used to it and its not a big deal anymore.

This post is far to sensible. You are required to post 3 silly things to redress the balance.

.. I know that means cutting down for some of us :wink:

Divissima
15th-December-2004, 03:21 PM
The only big deal in the past was with unnamed negative rep that got a bit too personal - that to me was an abuse of the system and Franck put a stop to it.Yes, I had not forgotten that incident (although to my mind the problem in that case had a lot to do with the fact that all rep and comments were anonymous at that time). I agree that unpleasant personal abuse would be an abuse of the system, I guess I was assuming (perhaps naively) that these days most members wouldn't be too outrageous in their comments if the recipient would immediately know who sent them. Still, that presupposes that everyone has the same tolerance level for personal comments/criticism, which just isn't true.

Lynn
15th-December-2004, 03:30 PM
For me the rep system was lots of little 'asides' from people that gave feedback on things I had said, where someone wouldn't maybe have sent a PM. Sort of like when you are out with a crowd of friends and look over and say 'nice dress' to someone - not a big conversation, just a passing comment, but its nice that someone notices and approves. The comments meant more to me than the rep points level.

And I do think that they helped to build little links of friendship and forum community. Sometimes a comment leads to a PM and a little 'conversation'. So I do think the rep system is worthwhile, but more for the comments than how many points I get.

Dreadful Scathe
15th-December-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes, I had not forgotten that incident (although to my mind the problem in that case had a lot to do with the fact that all rep and comments were anonymous at that time). I agree that unpleasant personal abuse would be an abuse of the system, I guess I was assuming (perhaps naively) that these days most members wouldn't be too outrageous in their comments if the recipient would immediately know who sent them. Still, that presupposes that everyone has the same tolerance level for personal comments/criticism, which just isn't true.
I wasn't talking about one incident, most people have received annoying if not insulting negative rep. I got 'I hate smurfs' from Will when he did his random insult repping at the beginning :) I also got negative rep from Bigger Andy proclaiming 'I didnt understand football' after saying there was only one team in Manchester*

*i.e. Manchester City, even though this was told to me by Man Utd supporters from Manchester (Man Utd is out Salford way I believe). People will neg rep for their own reasons, and are unlikely to check with your sensibilities first - just like life :)

Lory
15th-December-2004, 04:40 PM
For me the rep system was lots of little 'asides' from people that gave feedback on things I had said, where someone wouldn't maybe have sent a PM. Sort of like when you are out with a crowd of friends and look over and say 'nice dress' to someone - not a big conversation, just a passing comment, but its nice that someone notices and approves. The comments meant more to me than the rep points level.

And I do think that they helped to build little links of friendship and forum community. Sometimes a comment leads to a PM and a little 'conversation'. So I do think the rep system is worthwhile, but more for the comments than how many points I get.
:yeah:
Lynn, you've said exactly how I feel but put it so much better than I could have! :worthy: :hug:

I'd give you rep but it appears I've dished out too much! :sad:

Lynn
15th-December-2004, 04:43 PM
I'd give you rep but it appears I've dished out too much! :sad: Well since its the thought (and comment) that counts, thanks! :hug:

philsmove
15th-December-2004, 04:51 PM
I think the eBay system of rep is quite good

Negative points are shown but are not subtracted from positive ones

eg If 50 % like what you sell and 50 % disagreed you don’t end up with zero

Rhythm King
15th-December-2004, 05:11 PM
I think the eBay system of rep is quite good

Negative points are shown but are not subtracted from positive ones

eg If 50 % like what you sell and 50 % disagreed you don’t end up with zero

Oooh - good plan, can I now bid for some more rep and pay with Paypal?

Lory
15th-December-2004, 05:18 PM
Well since its the thought (and comment) that counts, thanks! :hug:
Actually, to add to what Lynn said, I use the rep system as a really friendly way to have a little banter with people. :na:

I (as some of you know) have a silly sense of humour and see a rude joke in most things, :blush: especially some posts. (even ones that are supposed to be serious)
I believe not everyone would 'get' the joke or 'appreciate' it, (some people have NO sense of humour :rolleyes: )so sometimes I give rep to the ones who make me laugh who can laugh at themselves too! Sometimes it will have nothing to do with the point of the post! Just to point out the joke! :D

Lot's of people also do this with me too! And it's most welcome! :cheers:

I wouldn't want to inflict my stupid thoughts on everyone, all the time, cos to some people it would end up appearing as endless drivel! :whistle:

But there are people who I KNOW enjoy a little banter! :hug:

For the benifit of the forum geeks with no sense of humour, I already KNOW this is not the official use for rep, thank you! :na:

Sparkles
15th-December-2004, 05:42 PM
For the benifit of the forum geeks with no sense of humour, I already KNOW this is not the official use for rep, thank you! :na:

Now, Lory, surely you know that this is NOT an official use for the repping system! :wink:
Prepare yourself to be taken outside and publically flogged... :rolleyes:
(and you can take that any way you like :wink: :wink: )

S. x

Lynn
15th-December-2004, 10:30 PM
Actually, to add to what Lynn said, I use the rep system as a really friendly way to have a little banter with people. :na: All part of the little building blocks of forum community, fun and friendship. :grin:

(On the negative side, literally, folk need to think about the impact of any comments they make accompanying negative rep and how it might be recieved.)

MartinHarper
16th-December-2004, 10:47 AM
On the negative side, literally, folk need to think about the impact of any comments they make accompanying negative rep and how it might be recieved.

Judging from drathzel's posts, she wasn't annoyed about the phrasing of my rep comment. Rather, she was annoyed that I had given her negative rep for something that she didn't feel was a mistake. Still, if you feel I could have worded my comment differently and thus achieved a more positive response, I'm always open to suggestions (here, by PM, by rep, etc).

I think Franck should give people a new option to tick in their user profile:
* I'm infallible (don't show me any neg rep)

Andy McGregor
16th-December-2004, 11:03 AM
Judging from drathzel's posts, she wasn't annoyed about the phrasing of my rep comment. Rather, she was annoyed that I had given her negative rep for something that she didn't feel was a mistake. Still, if you feel I could have worded my comment differently and thus achieved a more positive response, I'm always open to suggestions (here, by PM, by rep, etc).

I think Franck should give people a new option to tick in their user profile:
* I'm infallible (don't show me any neg rep)

Why drathzel was annoyed is an event after the fact. The fact is that Martin Harper gave someone negative rep for failing to use a question mark!

Does anyone else think that neg repping someone for this failure is OTT?

Graham
16th-December-2004, 11:07 AM
I agree that having reset the power levels the rep had to be reset too, but I must echo Sparkles: it is somewhat dispiriting. :sad:

philsmove
16th-December-2004, 11:23 AM
Why drathzel was annoyed is an event after the fact. The fact is that Martin Harper gave someone negative rep for failing to use a question mark!

I think we have established is ok to give a positive rep to someone who makes you laugh

So I suppose if, you eat shoots and leaves, grammar mistakes might make you cry

In which case, maybe it's Ok to give a negative rep

That said, if I got a negative rep, for every grammar and spelling mistake, :blush: I’d never get any green thingies :D

bigdjiver
16th-December-2004, 12:03 PM

Maybe he works for the people that make them?

???????????????????

MartinHarper
16th-December-2004, 12:04 PM
Martin Harper gave someone negative rep for failing to use a question mark!

May I be the first to congratulate you on your masterly use of punctuation. The exclamation mark really helps emphasise the critical importance of this issue. It also reflects the extreme surprise everyone must be feeling that (a) I gave someone negative rep and (b) you're complaining about it. Unprecedented!

However, I do feel that you're not really getting into the proper spirit of new age punctuation, as you've only used one exclamation mark, where sixteen would do the job just as well.

Will
16th-December-2004, 12:06 PM
I wasn't talking about one incident, most people have received annoying if not insulting negative rep. I got 'I hate smurfs' from Will when he did his random insult repping at the beginning :) I also got negative rep from Bigger Andy proclaiming 'I didnt understand football' after saying there was only one team in Manchester*

*i.e. Manchester City, even though this was told to me by Man Utd supporters from Manchester (Man Utd is out Salford way I believe). People will neg rep for their own reasons, and are unlikely to check with your sensibilities first - just like life :)
He did the same thing to me :tears:

Andy McGregor
16th-December-2004, 12:26 PM
It also reflects the extreme surprise everyone must be feeling that (a) I gave someone negative rep and (b) you're complaining about it.

The exclamation mark is there to show my surprise at someone being so pedantic as to have given negative reputation for the absence of a punctuation mark.

Meanings (a) and (b) are attributed by Mr Harper rather than the author.

However, I do feel that you're not really getting into the proper spirit of new age punctuation, as you've only used one exclamation mark, where sixteen would do the job just as well.

Now, I have to agree with this. IMHO there isn't really any need for more than three exclamation marks. Beyond this point the reader must start to count the punctuation marks to see if the author has used 18 or 20 and thereby added more or less emphasis to their level of surprise, indignation, etc.

If I hadn't previously negatively repped Mr Harper for being pedantic and nasty to drathzel I would have positively repped him for the above comment - at the moment I need to 'spread it around' :whistle:

Jayne
16th-December-2004, 01:18 PM
The fact is that Martin Harper gave someone negative rep for failing to use a question mark!

Poor Stewart38: I'm amazed he's got a positive rep score with people like MH around. :what:

J :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-December-2004, 01:34 PM
Maybe some people can go too far in how much negative rep they give people to the point they appear to be victimising them - but I have no problem with the 'reason' they give neg rep, as its really up to them. If I'd been the type, Id have neg repped drathzel when she first joined the forum for posting 1 one word posts and then replying to them herself 3 or 4 times :) (shes got better). Im too nice to give Negative Rep, but thats just me :)

drathzel
16th-December-2004, 02:07 PM
Maybe some people can go too far in how much negative rep they give people to the point they appear to be victimising them - but I have no problem with the 'reason' they give neg rep, as its really up to them. If I'd been the type, Id have neg repped drathzel when she first joined the forum for posting 1 one word posts and then replying to them herself 3 or 4 times :) (shes got better). Im too nice to give Negative Rep, but thats just me :)
:yeah: :yeah:

I was bad but now i am getting better! It was the newness of it all!

latinlover
16th-December-2004, 02:51 PM
does everybody know that rep is anonymous unless you sign it deliberately?
or have I got mine set up strangely?
I keep getting comments from someone(some people?) who obviously know me but I don't know who they are.
Let me say I have no problem with the content of the comments, but it would be nice to acknowledge them , whoever you are
:cheers:

ChrisA
16th-December-2004, 02:56 PM
does everybody know that rep is anonymous unless you sign it deliberately?
or have I got mine set up strangely?
I keep getting comments from someone(some people?) who obviously know me but I don't know who they are.
Let me say I have no problem with the content of the comments, but it would be nice to acknowledge them , whoever you are
You can always find out who the rep is from if you look in the User Control Panel - User CP top left.

HTH, Chris

drathzel
16th-December-2004, 03:05 PM
You can always find out who the rep is from if you look in the User Control Panel - User CP top left.

HTH, Chris

is that not only if you are a member and not a registered user! :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-December-2004, 03:19 PM
i believe it is - you dont pay your money, you dont get to see who sent you rep :)

SilverFox
16th-December-2004, 03:20 PM
is that not only if you are a member and not a registered user! :confused:True indeed. Latin Lover is not a member, so his CP won't show who has repped him.

ChrisA
16th-December-2004, 03:24 PM
True indeed. Latin Lover is not a member, so his CP won't show who has repped him.
Zoikes !!!!

Didn't know that. Cough up yer £15 then, Neil. :wink:

Chris

Lory
16th-December-2004, 05:03 PM
So I suppose if, you eat shoots and leaves, grammar mistakes might make you cry

In which case, maybe it's Ok to give a negative rep

Hey! Read this (http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/1843170981.html), it might be the cure! :D

philsmove
16th-December-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey! Read this (http://books.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/1843170981.html), it might be the cure! :D

Thanks looks better than what I am reading now (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0735613672.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) :cheers: :hug: :cheers:

drathzel
16th-December-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks looks better than what I am reading now (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0735613672.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) :cheers: :hug: :cheers:

Have a sympathy hug! :hug:

jivecat
16th-December-2004, 11:46 PM

Yeah, me. But I think Drathzel is quite capable for standing up for herself. As is Mr Harper. :devil:

latinlover
17th-December-2004, 09:25 AM
True indeed. Latin Lover is not a member, so his CP won't show who has repped him.

Thanks All
now it makes sense
and I've just been exposed as the skinflint I truly am! :whistle:
Blimey, I find this forum distracting enough as it is....without PAYING for the privilege!! :tears:

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 09:40 AM
But I think Drathzel is quite capable for standing up for herself.
:innocent: me? Stand up for myself? well maybe just a little bit :devil: !!!!!

Andy McGregor
17th-December-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, me. But I think Drathzel is quite capable for standing up for herself. As is Mr Harper. :devil:

You are right. But, in posting her feelings about this matter it seems to me that Drathzel was asking for our support. And thats what I've given

You are also right about Mr Harper - and I like to give him plenty of opportunities to stand up for himself :wink:

Lynn
17th-December-2004, 12:13 PM
Judging from drathzel's posts, she wasn't annoyed about the phrasing of my rep comment. Rather, she was annoyed that I had given her negative rep for something that she didn't feel was a mistake. Still, if you feel I could have worded my comment differently and thus achieved a more positive response, I'm always open to suggestions (here, by PM, by rep, etc). My comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular, I just had been saying that the comments are more significant to me than the points - and likewise I know that when anyone has been upset by neg rep its often the comments that have upset them - they have sometimes been personal and nasty. I haven't recieved any like that myself, so was just saying that in general, everyone should think about the comment they write with the rep and not just say things like 'You're stupid'. I'm not saying no-one should ever neg rep or give constructive critiscm (though I don't make a habit of it myself).

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 12:47 PM
You are right. But, in posting her feelings about this matter it seems to me that Drathzel was asking for our support. And thats what I've given

You are also right about Mr Harper - and I like to give him plenty of opportunities to stand up for himself :wink:

Andy, you've hit the nail on the Head (poor nail! :sad: )

Also by putting it on the thread i gave the person in question the opertunity to come back to me and explain.

Agreement with Lynn

I feel that i was unfairly given the rep. For silly reasons. I believe in neg rep but not for the reasons of grammar/spelling/punctuation.

Dx

Feelingpink
17th-December-2004, 12:48 PM
Has it ever been tried on this forum that members post a photograph of themselves rather than the current avatars? I wondered if it might make it that bit more difficult to unthinkingly give negative rep or comments that are upsetting because you're more aware that you're commenting on a person with feelings? What do people think?

It might also lead to extra dances with forumites, in case we don't know who we all are ... which, I guess could be a good and a bad thing... :grin:

Lynn
17th-December-2004, 01:08 PM
It might also lead to extra dances with forumites, in case we don't know who we all are ... which, I guess could be a good and a bad thing... :grin: From all my experiences in dancing with other forumites when I meet them - a very good thing! :hug: (though it might not be quite the same the other way round! :blush: )

MartinHarper
17th-December-2004, 01:31 PM
I believe in neg rep but not for the reasons of grammar/spelling/punctuation.

The world would be so very dull if we always agreed with each other.

Rhythm King
17th-December-2004, 01:37 PM
Oh no it wouldn't!

under par
17th-December-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh no it wouldn't!

Oh yes it.......................NO ! sorry can't do this sorry..
:blush:

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 01:45 PM

I agree and i did say i was not against neg rep but for something a petty as grammar etc..... we are living in a world were some people cant even read or write and people are worried about grammar. Mmmmm mixed up priorities i think!

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 01:46 PM
Oh yes it.......................NO ! sorry can't do this sorry..
:blush:
well it is the pantomime season!

Lets hear it!!!!! :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2004, 02:57 PM
Has it ever been tried on this forum that members post a photograph of themselves rather than the current avatars? I wondered if it might make it that bit more difficult to unthinkingly give negative rep or comments that are upsetting because you're more aware that you're commenting on a person with feelings? What do people think?

You can post an image on your profile page. My avatar picture was taken a few years ago but it still looks quite like me. But I disagree, just because you can see someones picture it doesnt mean they have feelings. 82% of the people on here are mindless automatons :). (Thats why they 'unthinkingly' post rubbish) (which i would never do) (obviously)

Feelingpink
17th-December-2004, 03:06 PM
You can post an image on your profile page. My avatar picture was taken a few years ago but it still looks quite like me. But I disagree, just because you can see someones picture it doesnt mean they have feelings. 82% of the people on here are mindless automatons :). (Thats why they 'unthinkingly' post rubbish) (which i would never do) (obviously)

Don't you need a new image ... I mean, your hat has gone out of fashion ... and all the best people are pink now! :D Blue is so last year! :wink: One of the reasons I suggested having photographs here is because I'm on another forum (with 8000 posts a week) and it has been helpful there in keeping things 'nicer'

Andy McGregor
17th-December-2004, 03:13 PM
Don't you need a new image ... I mean, your hat has gone out of fashion ... and all the best people are pink now! :D Blue is so last year! :wink: One of the reasons I suggested having photographs here is because I'm on another forum (with 8000 posts a week) and it has been helpful there in keeping things 'nicer'

My avatar is a true likeness - and it's pink. But that hasn't stopped people giving me negative reputation. And I don't really mind getting negative reputation when I can learn from it - although sometimes I learn what a twerp the person who gave me the negative rep is :whistle:

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2004, 03:47 PM
My avatar is a true likeness

:yeah: me too....I am exactly like mine. :wink:

Feelingpink
17th-December-2004, 03:54 PM
:yeah: me too....I am exactly like mine. :wink:

Have you thought about updating to this year's look? :grin:

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 05:11 PM
Have you thought about updating to this year's look? :grin:

lovely! very this season!

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2004, 05:16 PM
Well hello there.... :waycool:
Thanks FP :cheers: :hug:

ZW :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2004, 05:44 PM
Whats with all this PINK ???

Stop it right now!!!

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 05:55 PM

Stop it right now!!!

oh nice blue! but should we not all be able to use what ever colour we want. I mean we wouldn't want to get neg rep-ed for being colourist!!!! :rofl:

Magic Hans
17th-December-2004, 06:14 PM

It might also lead to extra dances with forumites, in case we don't know who we all are ... which, I guess could be a good and a bad thing... :grin:

Have to say .... I don't have a clue if it would encourage me to think twice, it probably would encourage me to be a little less dismissive of someone when PMing for example (I'm not in the habit of neg repping meself)

Nice thought though. I would imagine that it's easier to mindlessly insult someone without a face!!

Ian

Graham
17th-December-2004, 06:23 PM

Stop it right now!!!

NO!
You don't see me asking you to stop being blue, do you? :mad: :wink:

Zebra Woman
17th-December-2004, 06:54 PM

Stop it right now!!!

Come on DS couldn't you compromise and stretch to a little PURPLE??
:rofl: It is Christmas!!

ZW :hug:

Feelingpink
17th-December-2004, 07:05 PM
:rofl: It is Christmas!!

ZW :hug:
Yes ... purple smurfs ... very decorative!

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2004, 07:18 PM
thats clearly mauve !!

Feelingpink
17th-December-2004, 07:25 PM
thats clearly mauve !!

OK, OK, it's still a compromise between blue and pink ... and I'm sure it matches at least ONE pair of your shoes ... :whistle:

Lynn
17th-December-2004, 08:16 PM
:rofl: It is Christmas!! Yes - lets hear it for purple!

drathzel
17th-December-2004, 11:57 PM
Yes - lets hear it for purple!
mmm now what would make us think you liked the colour purple? Miss naughty! :hug:

MartinHarper
21st-December-2004, 06:09 PM

Likewise. However, we do seem to be conflicting a lot on this forum, for one reason or another. I'm not convinced it is doing me any good, and I suspect it is starting to bore people. Accordingly, I've added you to my ignore list.

I fear that you will take this to be a form of attack. It isn't. It is simply an admission on my part that I lack the maturity and wisdom to deal positively with some of your posts here. I am told that you are a fine human being, and I am sure that when/if we ever meet properly we'll get on just fine.

See you around.

Andy McGregor
22nd-December-2004, 03:41 AM
I've added you to my ignore list.

Those ignore lists are so difficult to ignore. You read a thread and you can't help but click on the option to read the post of someone you've chosen to ignore. I expect you're reading this Mr Harper :wink:

Lynn
22nd-December-2004, 10:25 AM
mmm now what would make us think you liked the colour purple? Miss naughty! :hug: I actually picked that as my avatar because I had a set of pyjamas with Little Miss Naughty on them, and I bought the pyjamas because they were purple! (Bought the pyjamas in Coleraine when I went for a week at the north coast and realised when I got there I had forgotten to pack any! :rofl: )

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-December-2004, 10:32 AM
Those ignore lists are so difficult to ignore. You read a thread [snip of RUDE bit]

Sheesh Andy - theres no reason to call Martin THAT, thats WAAAY over the top.

;)

drathzel
22nd-December-2004, 10:35 AM
I actually picked that as my avatar because I had a set of pyjamas with Little Miss Naughty on them, and I bought the pyjamas because they were purple! (Bought the pyjamas in Coleraine when I went for a week at the north coast and realised when I got there I had forgotten to pack any! :rofl: )

I do that ALL the time!! :hug:

Andy McGregor
22nd-December-2004, 11:59 AM

;)

drathzel
22nd-December-2004, 12:05 PM

;)

Sh1t stirrer!! :rofl:

baldrick
22nd-December-2004, 08:29 PM
Andy
Welcome to the "Hacked off MartinHarper" support group. A select band of forumites, people who come here 'cause they like it.Meetings don't happen, we don't have to talk or even get on with each other.Wide ranging or even contrary views are encouraged, and expressing them is mandatory.Preferably loudly, frequently, and couched in terms aimed to get a rise out of the oppposition. Spelling is optional, punctuation liberal and inaccurate: note all electronic checking devices are disabled at the door;.! Membership is free, only requirment is to have posted on a fairly regular basis, possably widely (and/or wildly) and not necessaraly on thread.Making sense is not required, although suprising the remainder of the forum by making a good point now and again is a good way of keeping them on their toes. Benifits are nonexistant, apart from being ignored by Mr Harper.
As an early member of the group the only guarantee is a consistently high quality of biscuit.
I'm off upstairs. :devil:

Lindsay
22nd-December-2004, 10:55 PM
sheer genius bit of prose Balders.... :worthy:

Lory
22nd-December-2004, 11:09 PM
Andy

Shhh! I've come up here to join you :D

Great post Baldrick! :worthy:

Anyone else up here????

Andy McGregor
22nd-December-2004, 11:45 PM
Andy
Welcome to the "Hacked off MartinHarper" support group. A select band of forumites, people who come here 'cause they like it.Meetings don't happen, we don't have to talk or even get on with each other.Wide ranging or even contrary views are encouraged, and expressing them is mandatory.Preferably loudly, frequently, and couched in terms aimed to get a rise out of the oppposition. Spelling is optional, punctuation liberal and inaccurate: note all electronic checking devices are disabled at the door;.! Membership is free, only requirment is to have posted on a fairly regular basis, possably widely (and/or wildly) and not necessaraly on thread.Making sense is not required, although suprising the remainder of the forum by making a good point now and again is a good way of keeping them on their toes. Benifits are nonexistant, apart from being ignored by Mr Harper.
As an early member of the group the only guarantee is a consistently high quality of biscuit.

Can I join? Or am I already a founder member?

p.s. They are choccie biccies, aren't they?

p.p.s. You aren't eating them in bed are you?

Andy McGregor
22nd-December-2004, 11:47 PM
Anyone else up here????

Pass the biccies, Lory :devil:

baldrick
22nd-December-2004, 11:53 PM

Can I join? Or am I already a founder member?

p.s. They are choccie biccies, aren't they?

p.p.s. You aren't eating them in bed are you?
You got voted in mate.
Who's making the Tea then I'm parched :waycool:

Andy McGregor
23rd-December-2004, 12:01 AM
You got voted in mate.

Now that's handy, a bedside kettle, fridge and mini-bar. I'll pop the kettle on and you see what Lory's drinking - don't believe her if she says 'everything' :wink:

Lory
23rd-December-2004, 12:23 AM
I'll pop the kettle on and you see what Lory's drinking - don't believe her if she says 'everything' :wink:Baileys! :devil:

Minnie M
23rd-December-2004, 12:24 AM
.....As an early member of the group the only guarantee is a consistently high quality of biscuit....

BTW is that a double choc chip cookie biscuit (I'm temporarily off the diet till after Christmas)

PS: great post Baldrick

(did mention the "lift" thread - but he did apologise, hence the edit)

drathzel
23rd-December-2004, 09:54 AM
You got voted in mate.

what about me, i make a mean cup of coffee!!! :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-December-2004, 10:07 AM
what about me, i make a mean cup of coffee!!! :clap:
Mean ? Does it say 'bah humbug' and instantly go cold when you go to take a sip ? If you can make a nice cup of coffee than I'm in too :) I have shortbread :)

drathzel
23rd-December-2004, 10:28 AM
Mean ? Does it say 'bah humbug' and instantly go cold when you go to take a sip ? If you can make a nice cup of coffee than I'm in too :) I have shortbread :)

How do you take your coffee, i can make it anyway you want it!!! :whistle:

Rhythm King
23rd-December-2004, 11:42 AM
Ah, Baldrick has the biscuits out again, does he? I feel the munchies coming on!
(Good post BTW :wink:)

drathzel
23rd-December-2004, 12:06 PM
Ah, Baldrick has the biscuits out again, does he? I feel the munchies coming on!
(Good post BTW :wink:)

Oh munchies... yum yum!! However i feel we may be slightly off topic!!! Wouldn't want anyone complaining :whistle:

BeeBee
23rd-December-2004, 12:46 PM
Pass the biccies, Lory :devil:

Choc chip hopefully? :whistle: Surely not a plain jane digestive? :(

BeeBee
23rd-December-2004, 12:47 PM

very festive oh smurfy boy :) arent you saving the shorty for hogmany?