PDA

View Full Version : eBay Tips

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 03:12 PM
I registered for Ebay and got conformation through today. I could spend some serious money on this site , but before I do does any one have any advice I've not used the site before!!I have bought SO much stuff on eBay you would not believe. The list includes heaps of dance wear (sparkly tops, trousers, dresses, shoes), DVDs, videos, books, toys, jewellery, make-up, lingerie ;) and a greenhouse - that turned out to be bigger than I was expecting it to be! :eek:

There isn't really anything I wouldn't consider buying off there now. Sometimes if I can't think where to buy something I just look on eBay instead! Eg, last Christmas I couldn't find any nut crackers in the shops - so I went on eBay and bought some - they were shipped over from Belfast at a mere £1.50 inc postage!

As for tips:
1. Don't bid till the very last minute. Folk bid at the end of auctions and if you bid too soon the chances are that you will be outbid. Bidding too soon also drives the final cost up. If you see something you like put it in your "watch" list.

2. Double-check postage prices before you bid - some sellers over charge to make more money.

3. Double-check payment methods accepted before you bid. I'll never bid if I have to trail to the PO to get a Postal Order (they work out expensive too). Cheques are better but it takes longer for your goods to arrive as the sellers usually wait for them to be cleared first. The best way to pay is via Paypal - very quick and easy - you just sign up for an account using your cc. (A few sellers charge more for this though - so again, read the item description carefully)

4. Don't buy clothing that is too pricey in case it dosn't fit. (Eg I don't spend more than £4 on a top). If the description gives a make that helps though as you usually know what size you need for various shops)

5. Don't be afraid of sending faulty stuff back and getting refunds - I've done this on a few occasions with no problems.

6. When buying CDs make sure it is a CD you are buying as opposed to an LP :confused: (does anyone have a record player they want to get rid of?)

7. And finally - if you are outbid - don't worry about it - there will ALWAYS be something else to bid on tomorrow! :grin:

BTW - this £1.50 bargain is what I'm wearing out tonite:

uk-jive
7th-December-2004, 04:05 PM
1. Don't bid till the very last minute. Folk bid at the end of auctions and if you bid too soon the chances are that you will be outbid. Bidding too soon also drives the final cost up. If you see something you like put it in your "watch" list.

Even better... sign-up to Auction Sniper (http://www.auctionsniper.com/?how=jon@jivemagic.co.uk). This service automates the bidding process during the final milliseconds of your auction and can result in you collecting some real bargains!

The system allows your to sign-up for free & have some free 'snipes' which is good for getting used to the system. You then pay a nominal fee to continue using the service.

I've been using it for about 6 months now. :clap:

Andy McGregor
7th-December-2004, 04:24 PM
Even better... sign-up to Auction Sniper (http://www.auctionsniper.com/?how=jon@jivemagic.co.uk). This service automates the bidding process during the final milliseconds of your auction and can result in you collecting some real bargains!

The system allows your to sign-up for free & have some free 'snipes' which is good for getting used to the system. You then pay a nominal fee to continue using the service.

I've been using it for about 6 months now. :clap:

Don't tell everyone :wink:

I've been using Auctionsniper for ages and it's fab. But I think we should only tell our friends otherwise we'll get outbid at the last minute by someone else using Auctionsniper and lose our competitive advantage.

BTW, I was going to throw away an old Tae Kwon-Do book the other day, but I put it on ebay instead. I got £36 for it! Almost enough to replace the black and white shoes I left on a train on Wednesday :tears:

DianaS
7th-December-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll have a go and see how I get on tonight!

Happy Shopping
Diana

Andy McGregor
7th-December-2004, 05:05 PM
Prompted by Northants Girly I have done an ebay search for glittery ladieswear. I found this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58397&item=5345714192&rd=1) which I hope will become a replacement for the boring little black dress - I know I'm going to buy one for competitions :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2004, 05:08 PM
Good tips. Its worth noting that charging extra for PayPal is against ebay rules, sellers are NOT vallowed to do this.

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 05:10 PM
Prompted by Northants Girly I have done an ebay search for glittery ladieswear. I found this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58397&item=5345714192&rd=1) which I hope will become a replacement for the boring little black dress - I know I'm going to buy one for competitions :devil:Interesting seller there! :whistle: :blush:

DianaS
7th-December-2004, 05:11 PM
Prompted by Northants Girly I have done an ebay search for glittery ladieswear. I found this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58397&item=5345714192&rd=1) which I hope will become a replacement for the boring little black dress - I know I'm going to buy one for competitions :devil:
Its a size 10-12 Andy, rather common and will ride up something wicked! :devil: :whistle:

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 05:14 PM
and will ride up something wicked! :devil: :whistle: Buy it! Buy it! :devil:

Andy McGregor
7th-December-2004, 06:16 PM
Its a size 10-12 Andy, rather common and will ride up something wicked! :devil: :whistle:

I've already had that problem in a dance comp. Somewhere on the forum there is a picture me showing all in the Beach Boogie Blues comp :blush:

Now I know it will ride up I think I'd like to see Northants Girly (almost) in that dress :devil:

It does look a bit see-through too :wink:

ElaineB
7th-December-2004, 07:02 PM
I've already had that problem in a dance comp. Somewhere on the forum there is a picture me showing all in the Beach Boogie Blues comp :blush:

It does look a bit see-through too :wink:

Just wear big knickers - you'll be fine! :rofl:

Elaine

philsmove
7th-December-2004, 07:54 PM
post removed link did not work

Andy McGregor
7th-December-2004, 08:30 PM
Just wear big knickers - you'll be fine! :rofl:

Elaine

Shall I put you down for one of those dresses too?

I'm afraid your knickers would have to come above your chest to be seemly :waycool:

p.s. I like the fact that the buyers I.D. is kept private :wink:

frodo
7th-December-2004, 10:29 PM
Good tips. Its worth noting that charging extra for PayPal is against ebay rules, sellers are NOT vallowed to do this.

I guess the rule must not be one that Ebay enforce though. About 1/4 to 1/3 of what I buy has a PayPal surcharge.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-December-2004, 11:15 PM
I guess the rule must not be one that Ebay enforce though. About 1/4 to 1/3 of what I buy has a PayPal surcharge.
yeah - i guess you could refuse to pay it but they just wouldnt send you the goods, so not much the buyers can do if ebay dont enforce their own rules.

Bangers & Mash
8th-December-2004, 06:46 PM
I sold about £6000-00 of stuff on ebay when I moved to scotland - ranging from bang and olufsen kit to furniture and books.

I also bought some expensive camera equipment from america which arrived in a timely fashion and in an excellent condition.

I always use paypal to buy and sell and am wary of any other methods. When selling expensive equipment, I allowed people to "collect" which leant credibility to the sale and earned me extra points.

If anything sounds too good to be true then it probably is and always read feedback from others to gauge how safe your money will be before buying from someone.

Ebay has a few good pages of advice that are worth reading

tsh
8th-December-2004, 07:51 PM
Remember that paypal can charge-back any money they send you, if the buyer decides that there is a problem (like the goods never arrived) - it's no safer than any other way of paying/being paid.

Sean

Dreadful Scathe
8th-December-2004, 09:22 PM
Remember that paypal can charge-back any money they send you, if the buyer decides that there is a problem (like the goods never arrived) - it's no safer than any other way of paying/being paid.

Sean
very true. In fact some people recommend you withdraw all paypal cash as soon as you get i. There have been scams where someone has got a hold of someone elses paypal details, bought something, paid you from this paypal account and ran off with the goods. Paypal then take the money back when the paypal account owner complains and you have no comeback.