PDA

View Full Version : Nails!

ElaineB
4th-December-2004, 10:35 AM
OK Ladies, some advice please. Despite best intentions, my nails seem to have decided that with the Christmas festivites looming, they don't want to look their best and are doing a very good job of breaking. I had a manicure yesterday and asked the beautician what she thought about falsies. She is dead set against as my nails are 'soft'. :sad:

Anyone wear falsies and if so, have you any advice - do they make your nails go 'paper thin'? Any other tips?

Thanks

Elaine

jivecat
4th-December-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm impressed by your devotion to nail grooming. I count myself lucky if I can turn up at Ceroc without half the garden still ingrained under mine! Perhaps opaque false ones are the answer. (Collective cry of Euughhhh!)

LilyB
4th-December-2004, 01:36 PM
Elaine

If you are really keen and can stand them, the semi-permanent acrylic nails can be very impressive and are apparently pretty hard-wearing. I've never tried them myself, as I have no doubt I would rip them out after a couple of days :mad: , but practically all the top female competitors in ballroom & latin have them.

The other alternative is to use the DIY 'stick-on' ones that you can buy from chemists & supermarkets. These are cheap and fairly easy to use, and the best thing is that you can take them off as soon as the evening is over. :clap: And you can re-use them. The down side is that they do look false close-up. The answer to that then is not to let anyone look too closely at your nails if you are using stick-ons! :wink: I have occasionally used stick-ons if I am competing/performing a cabaret, if my own nails are too short. However, stick-ons do come off quite easily, and may therefore not be ideal for the rigours of modern jive. :sick:

LilyB

Melanie
4th-December-2004, 04:47 PM
Try Bio Sculpture Gel. Its put on like nail vanish using a brush and cured under a UV light. It lasts for about 2 weeks by which time the regrowth is seen. They can then be infilled. Your nail grows underneath with its hard protective layer on top. It does not chip or discolour. They can be soaked off after 6 weeks and you can start again.

You can also use this process with nail tips to add length and then filled in with Gel.

You will have lovely long nails in no time.

Friendly Forum Nail Technician ........ Mel :nice:

Daisy
4th-December-2004, 05:09 PM
My advise is DON'T GO THERE! :sad:

Iv'e tried all of the methods mentioned at some time or another and ALL of them had a detrimental effect on my nails in the long run.

It also tends to be expensive for the upkeep and this is quite frequent. :sick:

Now I have managed to grow my nails so that all the damage has gone I will NEVER go back to acylic or gel.

Now I simply keep my nails reasonably short, eat plenty of the right oils (Omega3), push cuticals back regularly and rub nail oil on them. :nice:

:flower: Daisy

ChrisA
4th-December-2004, 05:24 PM
.....[snip]
Now I simply keep my nails reasonably short

:yeah:

IMHO, and speaking as a mere bloke, ladies' nails need to be:

(a) not too long, so that dancing without laceration is still possible, and

(b) not too short, so that the appropriate sensation is still available when they are drawn across one's back at appropriate times. :devil:

Interesting colour schemes are always of interest, but not necessarily required, provided that the essentials are maintained.

I trust this advice is helpful, as I try always to be. :innocent:

Chris

Daisy Chain
4th-December-2004, 05:48 PM

:yeah: My advice is to keep the hands moving as much as possible so that they're a blur. Then nobody knows if you've been gardening and forgotten to weed your nails before going dancing ..........

Daisy chain

(A Green FingeredFlower)

bigdjiver
4th-December-2004, 07:12 PM
Do they do any treatments containg antiseptics, coagulants and painkillers?

Whitebeard
4th-December-2004, 10:10 PM
Now I simply keep my nails reasonably short ......
There's a considerate lady .....

One of my least well remembered memories is of walking off the dance floor to find my hand streaming with blood !! My rather uncharitable (if perhaps understandable) second thought was that she must also have been equally surprised to see the evidence of the fumbled catch on her own bloody right hand. Good job I always have a few tissues in my pocket and sticking plasters in the glove compartment of the motor.

That confirmed my already poor opinion of ultra long nails, whether natural or artificial. They must be one of those girly things done to impress each other rather than us.

But Chris makes a good point (b), many a dance is enlivened by the delightful shiver induced by trailing fingers. So don't cut them quite to the quick !!

ChrisA
4th-December-2004, 10:53 PM
But Chris makes a good point (b), many a dance is enlivened by the delightful shiver induced by trailing fingers. So don't cut them quite to the quick !!
Ooh yes, that as well :innocent:

Whitebeard
5th-December-2004, 12:41 AM
I count myself lucky if I can turn up at Ceroc without half the garden still ingrained under mine .....
An earthy girl with a taste for the soil and musicality. I like that that combination.

I was up in your neck of the woods (Leics/Northants) yesterday attending my son's wedding. Plenty of free booze, lucky lad lives in a thatched cottage just over the road from a lovely village tavern, but no dancing whether organised or impromptu. Running into a Jivecat or a Northants Girly would've really put the cap on an enjoyable day.

Coming from the Cotswolds (though not a native) with it's honeyed limestone I was very interested in the contrast with the stone built buildings using the indiginent material of this, to me, new area. Earthy and varied, is how I would describe it in dappled shades of ochre, sienna, and umber (recalling my boyhood box of watercolours) as opposed to the very even coloring of the material in my own locality. I wonder what type of rock (not jive, for certain) this is, not limestone, not sandstone, not granite?

bigdjiver
5th-December-2004, 01:46 AM
... Coming from the Cotswolds (though not a native) with it's honeyed limestone I was very interested in the contrast with the stone built buildings using the indiginent material of this, to me, new area. Earthy and varied, is how I would describe it in dappled shades of ochre, sienna, and umber (recalling my boyhood box of watercolours) as opposed to the very even coloring of the material in my own locality. I wonder what type of rock (not jive, for certain) this is, not limestone, not sandstone, not granite?
Iron Ore - Corby was a major centre of the British steel industry.

Whitebeard
5th-December-2004, 01:19 PM
Iron Ore - Corby was a major centre of the British steel industry.
Thanks that's interesting - so what I was seeing was various shades of rust !!

Passed through Corby (very differen to my son's little village) and by Rutland Water following someone who took the long way round. Having lived in South Wales I know something of the drama of steel works.

And since nails can be made of steel I haven't gone too far off subject ;-)

Ninka
5th-December-2004, 02:32 PM
Try Bio Sculpture Gel.

Friendly Forum Nail Technician ........ Mel :nice:

As a fellow beauty therapist, I go with Mel's recommendation. Stay well clear of the acrylic's, if your nails are short and soft at the moment, the acrylics will make then 10 times worse.
The best thing to do is try to persivere (sp?) with your own nails, but if it's not happening, then go with the bio sculpture. They're the best and least damaging than all the false nails.
Hope this helps :hug:

ElaineB
5th-December-2004, 10:13 PM
:yeah: My advice is to keep the hands moving as much as possible so that they're a blur. Then nobody knows if you've been gardening and forgotten to weed your nails before going dancing ..........

Daisy chain

(A Green FingeredFlower)

Like it!

Thanks everyone for the advice - sounds as though I need either to look at Bio Sculpture Gel or employ someone to do all the household chores, cooking, gardening and DIY while I watch my nails grow!

Chris A - ooooooh! :whistle:

Whitebeard - fantastic how you managed to get in 'honeyed limestone' - it never ceases to amaze me how people manage to go off on a tangent and then bring it back again! :worthy: :rofl: :worthy:

Elaine

jivecat
6th-December-2004, 01:29 PM
Now I simply keep my nails reasonably short, eat plenty of the right oils (Omega3), push cuticals back regularly and rub nail oil on them. :nice:

Thanks Daisy. Even I might be able to manage this, after going a few rounds with the nail brush, of course.

Lory
6th-December-2004, 02:13 PM
I have my nails wrapped with acrylic and I'm very happy with them, I've always had fairly good nails but the nail varnish used to chip after only one day, so to keep them looking nice it was a daily chore but now, with the acrylic, the nail varnish lasts without chipping till my next visit BUT, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone. ........

Before thinking, it would be nice to have pretty looking nails for xmas, or a special occasion, I think there are a few considerations one has to make

1. Your own nails have to be 'roughed up' to provide a 'key' for the acrylic to adhere to.

2. It's not just a simple job to take them off, you have to also have that done by a nail technician and your own nail WILL be weaker after. So concider them to be permanent!

3. As your own nails grow, you get a ridge that needs to be 'infilled,' if you let them grow out for too long, they can become quite dangerous, as they will NOT break like a normal nail and if you catch them, they're likely to pull your whole nail off! :tears:

4, The cost. They cost round £30 initially and between £16 and £20 every 2-3 weeks to maintain.

4. Time. Each visit takes around an hour!

Having said all that, I love mine, I keep them fairly short with a simple French Manicure and I'm not in a hurry to go back to painting them every night! :waycool:

philsmove
6th-December-2004, 02:43 PM
Before thinking, it would be nice to have pretty looking nails for xmas, or a special occasion, I think there are a few considerations one has to make

:eek: http://www.nailpassion.com/famousf.htm :eek:

Lory
6th-December-2004, 03:50 PM

:eek: http://www.nailpassion.com/famousf.htm :eek:

]Ugh! ugh ugh ugh! I know this sounds silly but I honestly feel sick after looking at that site and couldn't scroll past the first few pictures! :sick: :sick: :sick: :tears:

And, how an earth do they deal with 'personal hygiene' :eek: :drool: <being sick!]

Simon r
6th-December-2004, 04:30 PM
]Ugh! ugh ugh ugh! I know this sounds silly but I honestly feel sick after looking at that site and couldn't scroll past the first few pictures! :sick: :sick: :sick: :tears:

And, how an earth do they deal with 'personal hygiene' :eek: :drool: <being sick!]

Ohh my god just looked at that site i too feel sick imagine those down your back ....
whoops maybe you would'nt ... but even so... :eek:

ElaineB
7th-December-2004, 01:06 PM
I have my nails wrapped with acrylic and I'm very happy with them, I've always had fairly good nails but the nail varnish used to chip after only one day, so to keep them looking nice it was a daily chore but now, with the acrylic, the nail varnish lasts without chipping till my next visit BUT, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone. ........

1. Your own nails have to be 'roughed up' to provide a 'key' for the acrylic to adhere to.

2. It's not just a simple job to take them off, you have to also have that done by a nail technician and your own nail WILL be weaker after. So concider them to be permanent!

3. As your own nails grow, you get a ridge that needs to be 'infilled,' if you let them grow out for too long, they can become quite dangerous, as they will NOT break like a normal nail and if you catch them, they're likely to pull your whole nail off! :tears:

4, The cost. They cost round £30 initially and between £16 and £20 every 2-3 weeks to maintain.

4. Time. Each visit takes around an hour!

Having said all that, I love mine, I keep them fairly short with a simple French Manicure and I'm not in a hurry to go back to painting them every night! :waycool:

If you're at Hipsters tonight, I'll have a look at yours, but I would imagine that the roughing up of the nail surface is why I have been told 'not to go there'!

Thanks again for the advice.

Phil - where do you get these sites from! :rofl: Yuch! :sick:

Elaine

Lory
7th-December-2004, 01:08 PM
If you're at Hipsters tonight, I'll have a look at yours,

Elaine

I'll be there! :hug: (reaches for the hand cream :o )