PDA

View Full Version : What to wear

DianaS
3rd-December-2004, 04:50 PM
:blush:

Can't think what to wear this christmas for jive events. I've seen some lovely sparkly things in the shops but they don't seem to do trousers and the tops all have droopy sleaves or look like smocks (reminds me of when I was pregnant)

I want to look festive but not like a bauble...where to go :sad: does any one else fancy hitting the shops pre-Christmas

Andy McGregor
3rd-December-2004, 04:58 PM
does any one else fancy hitting the shops pre-Christmas

Please remember, shopping is forever, not just for Christmas.

My advice it 'if it sparkles buy it, if it fits buy it, if you feel good in it buy it, if you know someone it might fit - BUY IT!!

Shopaholic, MOI?

My advice is to buy some sparkly stuff and sew/glue it onto your normal (?) dancing gear. Then after Christmas go shopping in the sales with the money you've saved, then, with the money you've saved in the sales you can go shopping, etc, etc ...

Northants Girly
3rd-December-2004, 05:16 PM
. . . they don't seem to do trousers and the tops all have droopy sleaves or look like smocks It has to be a dress then! :grin:
Go to eBay and type in glitter and do a search - then limit that search to women's clothes - thats what I do :really:
What about this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53330&item=5343417216&rd=1) ?

does any one else fancy hitting the shops pre-Christmas What about Nantwich next Saturday??

Lynn
3rd-December-2004, 05:22 PM
I've a couple of pairs of sparkly trousers (one pair very subdued, more twinkly than sparkly) and several tops from New Look.

DianaS
3rd-December-2004, 05:38 PM
It has to be a dress then! :grin:
Go to eBay and type in glitter and do a search - then limit that search to women's clothes - thats what I do :really:
What about this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53330&item=5343417216&rd=1) ?

What about Nantwich next Saturday??
I know NG I don't have a thing to wear! There's going to be a crowd so we need to look sparkly, but sequins leave burns on your partners fingers if you spin the opposite direction to the edge (OUUCHH)..
I've been hooked to a guy with my croqued beaded number so that's out and my little black dress just looks tooo black

DianaS
3rd-December-2004, 05:38 PM
I've a couple of pairs of sparkly trousers (one pair very subdued, more twinkly than sparkly) and several tops from New Look.
Thanks Lynn
Will go seek and find :D

Northants Girly
3rd-December-2004, 05:48 PM
I know NG I don't have a thing to wear! There's going to be a crowd so we need to look sparkly, but sequins leave burns on your partners fingers if you spin the opposite direction to the edge (OUUCHH)..
I've been hooked to a guy with my croqued beaded number so that's out and my little black dress just looks tooo black and you probably have no feathers left on that sexy black number the rate they were falling out all over the floor . . . . :whistle:

DianaS
3rd-December-2004, 06:04 PM
and you probably have no feathers left on that sexy black number the rate they were falling out all over the floor . . . . :whistle:
LYNNNN
Shall I put piccies of You online!!!!
Vote now guys, they're gorgeous! :waycool:

Lynn
3rd-December-2004, 06:51 PM
LYNNNN
Shall I put piccies of You online!!!!
Vote now guys, they're gorgeous! :waycool: Getting confused? Its OK, its Friday, you're allowed!

Retail therapy required :wink:

jivecat
3rd-December-2004, 11:07 PM
........my little black dress just looks tooo black

Everyone's in mourning for the death of summer! I walked into the Leicester venue a few weeks ago and thought it was a black theme night 'cos everyone had spontaneously decide to wear their new black outfit. Gloomy, dreary, depressing.

I notice no-one wears black frocks on SCD.

I'm trying to resist buying any sparkly stuff (yet) because it'll all be half-price on Boxing Day.

jivecat
3rd-December-2004, 11:11 PM
Go to eBay and type in [COLOR=Indigo]glitter...

Thanks for reminding me it's time I was addicted to eBay as well as the forum, NG. :rolleyes:

Lynn
3rd-December-2004, 11:31 PM
Everyone's in mourning for the death of summer! I walked into the Leicester venue a few weeks ago and thought it was a black theme night 'cos everyone had spontaneously decide to wear their new black outfit. Gloomy, dreary, depressing.

I notice no-one wears black frocks on SCD.

I'm trying to resist buying any sparkly stuff (yet) because it'll all be half-price on Boxing Day.
Wear a lot of black myself :( but usually team it with something a bit brighter. And I've already bought a sparkly (black!) top - only £10!

Wearing a black dress tomorrow night - but - it has bright flowers on it and frilly bits (typical Morgan dress!) and I'm going to wear my new gold shoes! :clap:

Trousers
4th-December-2004, 12:18 AM
I know NG I don't have a thing to wear!

Gosh Darn and i need a new frock too!

Come on girls ................Retail........

Sorry slipped into some other dimension then, maybe it was the smell of sliced NG in DianaS's toaster.

Sniff Sniff yup with marmite i think!

ElaineB
4th-December-2004, 10:29 AM
Have a look in Jane Norman and Karen Millen - KM is a bit expensive, but as Andy says - 'shopping is forever' and so is the dress! If you were in Bristol, I would recommend a shop called BS8 in Clifton - they have loads of long/short evening dresses and they come in all colours, including black!

Have fun :flower:

Elaine

Tiggerbabe
4th-December-2004, 11:14 AM
Have a look in Jane Norman
Yeah!! I *love* Jane Norman stuff :drool: :drool:
There's lots of lovely stuff out there that sparkles, has fringes and isn't black!!!!!!!!!!
As Lynn says try the high street stores - New Look, Quiz, Bay Trading - they all usually have danceable clothes and also Morgan, USC, or nip into some little boutique type shops as you can often find something adorable that the muggles wouldn't dream of wearing (although best time is in the sales :wink: )

Our BIGChristmas party in Stirling this year has a "White Christmas" theme and I got one of the things I'm planning to wear in Primark (cheap and cheerful)

Happy Shopping :hug:

jivecat
4th-December-2004, 11:42 AM
Wear a lot of black myself :( but usually team it with something a bit brighter. And I've already bought a sparkly (black!) top - only £10!

Wearing a black dress tomorrow night - but - it has bright flowers on it and frilly bits (typical Morgan dress!) and I'm going to wear my new gold shoes! :clap:

Perhaps I should admit that my main Xmas outfit so far is, um, a black top with one or two sequins on, which I'm going (obviously) to wear with black trousers and my sparkly black shoes. The main alternatives in the Ceroc wardrobe are black with flowers on, black with spots on, black with glitter on........you get the picture.

I just hanker sometimes for something in sparkle-encrusted Caribbean turquoise or incandescent fuschia with matching swansdown trim.

I haven't floor-tested the sequinned top yet, but I'll take along some elastoplast and antiseptic in case of spin-related minor accidents.

I love LOOKING in Karen Millen but have never actually got out the plastic yet. Now, Primark, what a fabulous emporium. Don't ask the price, you CAN afford it!

Lynn
4th-December-2004, 12:13 PM
Great thread DianaS!

Have a look in Jane Norman and Karen Millen - KM is a bit expensive, but as Andy says - 'shopping is forever' and so is the dress! I have never gone into Karen Millen - I'm too scared of seeing several things I love and spending too much money! :tears:
As Lynn says try the high street stores - New Look, Quiz, Bay Trading - they all usually have danceable clothes and also Morgan, USC, or nip into some little boutique type shops as you can often find something adorable that the muggles wouldn't dream of wearing (although best time is in the sales :wink: ) Yep, got a fab dress last year in Bay Trading. Morgan is best in the sales - the dress I'm wearing tonight I got in the sales - £60 reduced to £12! (BTW, love Andy's logic in a post above about saving money in sales etc - didn't know a man could understand that 'woman's logic! :worthy: Its great, I was able to buy new dance shoes using it!)

I got one of the things I'm planning to wear in Primark (cheap and cheerful) We must shop in all the same places! One of my regular dancing tops is black, sleeveless with flowers and subdued sparkles on the front - a Primark sale ultra bargain - 50p!!! (wish I'd bought 2!)

Can you tell I like bargains!? :rofl:

Andy McGregor
4th-December-2004, 12:27 PM
Morgan is best in the sales - the dress I'm wearing tonight I got in the sales - £60 reduced to £12! (BTW, love Andy's logic in a post above about saving money in sales etc - didn't know a man could understand that 'woman's logic! :worthy: Its great, I was able to buy new dance shoes using it!)

It sounds to me like you had £48 to spend on shoes :wink:

a Primark sale ultra bargain - 50p!!! (wish I'd bought 2!)

I buy all my Yacht Racing Crew gear in B-Wise which is a competitor of Primark. You can kit out a crew of 7 at B-Wise for less than half the price of one shirt at the usual crew outfitters. And I have noticed a few things glittering enticingly in the ladies section :devil:

Zebra Woman
4th-December-2004, 05:38 PM
I haven't floor-tested the sequinned top yet, but I'll take along some elastoplast and antiseptic in case of spin-related minor accidents.

Funny you should say that...I was dancing in a pink sequined top which started to unravel. during the dance i kept dropping to the floor to pick up the dropped sequins. I used a winnie the pooh plaster to stick down the remaining sequins on the broken thread. It was a perfect camouflage and held the top together until I got home .

I have never danced in a sequined top since then...I feel worried about men's watches and guilty about being scratchy too :blush: .

Lynn
4th-December-2004, 05:53 PM
I have never danced in a sequined top since then...I feel worried about men's watches and guilty about being scratchy too :blush: . Yes, can be a problem with sparkly tops too, even if it isn't sequins. And anyone else had a top that decided to share its sparkliness with all the other clothes in the wash (when it sneaked into the 'black' wash inside out and unnoticed)?

DianaS
4th-December-2004, 05:59 PM
Okay I went out again today and came back with nothing (except an amp and guitar stand)
I'm debating spraying my old dance shoes silver and my hair to match..

What I really want is a black/silver shiffon short skirt that I can wear my vast collection of tops with...
Perhaps its time I just got out some scissors :D

Tiggerbabe
4th-December-2004, 06:20 PM
anyone else had a top that decided to share its sparkliness
:D :whistle: yes, but it was easy to tell who I'd not danced with yet :wink:
I have a fab (IMHO) purple glittery catsuit (bought from Tammy Girl - another "must visit" shop for dance outfits) and it leaves little trails of glitter whenever and wherever I sit down :waycool:

Lynn
5th-December-2004, 02:03 PM
:D :whistle: yes, but it was easy to tell who I'd not danced with yet :wink:
I have a fab (IMHO) purple glittery catsuit (bought from Tammy Girl - another "must visit" shop for dance outfits) and it leaves little trails of glitter whenever and wherever I sit down :waycool: Haven't tried Tammy Girl but I have some nice tops from New Look 915 range! (And trousers, because the 'normal' ones are too long for me! :tears: )

Northants Girly
6th-December-2004, 11:22 AM
maybe it was the smell of sliced NG in DianaS's toaster.

Sniff Sniff yup with marmite i think!Fantasizing about Northants Girly, DianaS and toasters will just result in your fingers getting burnt Trousers! :wink:

jivecat
6th-December-2004, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=DianaSI want to look festive but not like a bauble.....[/QUOTE]

Just give in, girl. Sounds like the rest of us have.

jivecat
6th-December-2004, 01:49 PM
Funny you should say that...I was dancing in a pink sequined top which started to unravel. during the dance i kept dropping to the floor to pick up the dropped sequins. I used a winnie the pooh plaster to stick down the remaining sequins on the broken thread. It was a perfect camouflage and held the top together until I got home .

Sounds like a perfect BEANO moment to me. Or am I getting it mixed up with the one where they knit someone a jumper out of spaghetti and start eating it? Anyway, were you in the girl guides, ZW?

I have never danced in a sequined top since then...I feel worried about men's watches and guilty about being scratchy too :blush: .[/QUOTE]

I worry about my sparkly frock which is so abrasive you could sand down a skirting board with it. Also, loopy belts or knitwear. I've never actually been told of a problem but maybe I'm leaving behind me a trail of blokes with sprained thumbs....You would tell me wouldn't you, guys?

Zebra Woman
6th-December-2004, 02:05 PM
Anyway, were you in the girl guides, ZW?

Of course...I also have a tiny pen knife in my dance bag - it came in handy at the Masked Ball when my partner's eye slits were too small. :waycool:

Oh yeah.... and masses of tuck for the midnight feast :cheers:

Lynn
6th-December-2004, 05:44 PM
I worry about my sparkly frock which is so abrasive you could sand down a skirting board with it. Also, loopy belts or knitwear. I had a silver crocheted dress that was really scratchy (sounds awful but it looked ok!) I decided it wasn't suitable for dancing and since I can't think of anywhere I would wear it where I wouldn't be dancing, it went into the charity shop bag!

DianaS
7th-December-2004, 10:50 AM
It has to be a dress then! :grin:

What about Nantwich next Saturday??
Hi I registered for Ebay and got conformation through today. I could spend some serious money on this site , but before I do does any one have any advice I've not used the site before!!
Thanks NG
:cheers: :flower: :hug: :kiss:

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi I registered for Ebay and got conformation through today. I could spend some serious money on this site , but before I do does any one have any advice I've not used the site before!!
Thanks NG
:cheers: :flower: :hug: :kiss:Diana you are in luck cos I am the eBay Queen - I can tell you anything you want to know :wink:

Trousers
7th-December-2004, 12:35 PM
Diana you are in luck cos I am the eBay Queen - I can tell you anything you want to know :wink:

She is! She is! :rofl:

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 02:37 PM
Instead of posting here I'm gonna start a new thread on "eBay Tips" . . . . I'm sure there are loads of forumites who could put their 2 penneth in . . .

DianaS
7th-December-2004, 04:47 PM
Instead of posting here I'm gonna start a new thread on "eBay Tips" . . . . I'm sure there are loads of forumites who could put their 2 penneth in . . .
NG just received PM by guy who wants to protect me from your knowledge, HE so doesn't know how women bond, Tell all Gal I'm listening and ready to be corrupted!

Northants Girly
7th-December-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm listening and ready to be corrupted!You'll have to read the eBay tips thread. If you want to know more PM me.

As for corruption - that will have to wait till Saturday! :wink:

Are there any interesting shops I could take you to in Nantwich? :grin:

DianaS
7th-December-2004, 05:20 PM
You'll have to read the eBay tips thread. If you want to know more PM me.

As for corruption - that will have to wait till Saturday! :wink:

Are there any interesting shops I could take you to in Nantwich? :grin:
My MAte Rachel's hoping to get there around 5 but perhaps we should meet ealier just to get into the spirit of things?

DianaS
9th-December-2004, 03:23 PM
oKAY DRESS IS NOW BOUGHT BUT CAN'T GET SHOES THAT GO AND BREAK THEM IN IN THE 2 DAYS LEFT. Oppps caps lock
HAs any one ever used coloured hair spray on leather, I bought a tin a lunch time and thought I might give it a go with an old pair first before risking my black ballrooms with gold hair spray!

Tiggerbabe
10th-December-2004, 02:25 AM
HAs any one ever used coloured hair spray on leather,!
Nope, but I have used a tin of car spray paint from Halfords ............you also get spray paints in B&Q type shops which you could use - they have lots of gold at this time of year :wink: Best of luck.

DianaS
10th-December-2004, 10:06 AM
Nope, but I have used a tin of car spray paint from Halfords ............you also get spray paints in B&Q type shops which you could use - they have lots of gold at this time of year :wink: Best of luck.
Cheers I thought paint strap might crack and hair spray would n't and would also wash Off whill experiment and report!#