PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Dancing 2 - False Promises??

Gus
1st-December-2004, 10:56 AM
OK ... this is probably going to come out as an anti-Ceroc rant .... but thats not really the point so please bear with me .....

{RANT mode ON}
The Ceroc Empire has formed a strategic alliance with the distributors of the Ditry Dancing 2 DVD. Great move which I laud. The more we get dance into the public perception the better. They have also (appraently) included a voucher that allows the recipient a free night at the Ceroc venue of their choice. Again, a marketing masterplan. HOWEVER, this voucher (and please correct me if I'm wrong becaue I havent seen it) states something along the lines of "come to Ceroc and learn the moves from Diarty Dancing 2" Huhh??? :confused: WHEN?? HOW?? What the heck is that about? Somone I know went on the strength of that voucher and of course all they got was a standard Ceroc night ... no 'Dirty Dancing 2' moves in sight! Come on guys .... please correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like misleading advertising.

Sorry but the whole subject of misleading advertising does get my back up. I've seen websites proclaiming "The Best teacher is xxx region", another site says "Our teachers are regarded as the best in the field (even by the competition)" when the competing organisations have a VERY different opinion. Wouldnt it be great is the ASA were called in to force these people to PROVE their claims?
{RANT mode OFF}

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 11:23 AM
I have one of said vouchers, a friend bought DD2 and gave it to me :). It does indeed say you can learn Dirty Dancing at Ceroc, and you are of course correct, Ceroc don't teach that style of dancing at all. Not even close. So yeah, it pretty much is false advertising. Maybe they think that all people want is an introduction to dance but I would have thought that even a muggle can tell the difference between 'semi circle left step back' and 'bump grind to floor' :)

Gus
1st-December-2004, 12:33 PM
I have one of said vouchers, a friend bought DD2 and gave it to me :).
He He He He (i.e. Maniacal laughing) ... just had an EVIL idea. PLEASE Mr Smurffy ... can I have your voucher ... then I could go to my local Ceroc venue (from which I'm banned .... but they will HAVE to let me in if I have that voucher :devil: :devil: ) I can then DEMAND that they teach me the moves from DD2 :rolleyes: YES .... an evil masterplan to spread fear and chaos against those who thought they could keep me away. :waycool:

MartinHarper
1st-December-2004, 12:38 PM
Lacking Gus's cynicism, I had the opposite thought - I wondered if my local Ceroc venues were going to teach a few dirty dancing style moves as part of the promotion. I think they should.

bigdjiver
1st-December-2004, 12:45 PM
... I would have thought that even a muggle can tell the difference between 'semi circle left step back' and 'bump grind to floor' :) It is a mission of mine to demonstrate the difference ... :whistle:

Gus
1st-December-2004, 12:54 PM
Lacking Gus's cynicism, I had the opposite thought - I wondered if my local Ceroc venues were going to teach a few dirty dancing style moves as part of the promotion. I think they should.Funnily enough ... they did teach one such move ... a seducer ... initially taught with NO SAFETY points ... which resulted in one couple hitting the deck big-style ... which THEN prompted the teacher to say ... "maybe we should go over some safety points" :eek: :eek: :eek: Maybe they should stick to basic Ceroc moves after all?

Thinking about it ... on an average night with a low skill level class (at the one in question) ... would you REALLY want to see close moves being taught? I always though that UCP stuff is best taught in workshops.

PS ... note ... no nameing and shameing :devil:

PPS ... note fairness .... I've seen Blitz instructors in the past make the same mistake

PPPS .. note .. now I can get flamed by BOTH Blitz and Ceroc :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
He He He He (i.e. Maniacal laughing) ... just had an EVIL idea. PLEASE Mr Smurffy ... can I have your voucher ... then I could go to my local Ceroc venue (from which I'm banned .... but they will HAVE to let me in if I have that voucher :devil: :devil: ) I can then DEMAND that they teach me the moves from DD2 :rolleyes: YES .... an evil masterplan to spread fear and chaos against those who thought they could keep me away. :waycool:
Certainly, dont think i have your address anywhere though :) Martin: You may be right, Ceroc HQ may have given insructions on some more Dirty Dancing type moves but is this going to be rolled out to all venues and how long for ? (Wheres the 'dubious' smiley ;) )

bigdjiver
I suspect that you will be able to identify a lot of basic moves used in Ceroc in the movie, and I also suspect that a lot of the raunchier ones have been taught as part of fun nights and special workshops. There may also be some new pages in the big book ...
A judge might therefore pass it as advertising puff, but it does sound misleading to me.
I always thought that the Viktor and Lydia poster was misleading, and perhaps even counter-productive.

DavidY
1st-December-2004, 01:57 PM
{RANT mode ON}~SNIPPED~{RANT mode OFF}I agree... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93428#post93428) :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree... (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93428#post93428) :wink:
I knew there was a thread on this already but i never really read it, I was only responding to Gus :) We would hardly be a representative model of society at large if we didnt regurgitate old ideas now would we :)

djtrev
1st-December-2004, 03:57 PM
Quote:
OK ... this is probably going to come out as an anti-Ceroc rant .... but thats not really the point so please bear with me .....

Sorry but it seems like it to me!! Or is it just coincidense that everything you find to moan about appears to involve Ceroc.Dont get me wrong I am not defending them as I dont have much time for some of their working practices either.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 04:03 PM
Quote:

Sorry but it seems like it to me!! Or is it just coincidense that everything you find to moan about appears to involve Ceroc.Dont get me wrong I am not defending them as I dont have much time for some of their working practices either.
I beg to differ. Gus moans about LOTS of things :) And you dont need to apologise for agreeing with him when he says it "comes[s] out as an anti-ceroc rant". :)

Gus
1st-December-2004, 04:12 PM
Quote:

Sorry but it seems like it to me!! Or is it just coincidense that everything you find to moan about appears to involve Ceroc.Dont get me wrong I am not defending them as I dont have much time for some of their working practices either.I DO tend to say a lot of things that pick on Ceroc ... because they are the biggest operator, have most clubs, highest profile and more of their issues seem to leap into the firing line. HOWEVER, I also do laud them when they do well (e.g. the inspired tie in with the film, the new class structures, the strength of the CTA, Ceroc Scotland being an example to all MJ operators etc). Its a little disheatening to only be remembered for the 'negatives' rather for when I do give praise :sad:

The question you have to ask is any of what I said incorrect or not factualy based? I've been flamed before on for my negative posts ... but my assailaints failed to identify any point I'd made that wasnt true. :rolleyes:

Re the thread in question ... my final comments were based on mis-advertising generaly ... and the examples were drawn from a Northern Independant website and a Northern Ceroc website ... that seems fair to me :whistle:

djtrev
1st-December-2004, 04:43 PM
Gus,I am not saying that you dont praise Ceroc occasionally but I'm afraid you will be remembered for your negative thoughts rather than your positive ones.
I couldnt agree more with regard to Ceroc Scotland; it is an excellent site and is an example to all similar sites, not just Ceroc.I spend more time on this site than I do on any other and I am primarily a mobile DJ.What I particularly like is the frank and open debate that is allowed.OK there is rather a lot of luvvie stuff and ego's bouncing around but overall a very good forum.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 04:50 PM
Gus,I am not saying that you dont praise Ceroc occasionally but I'm afraid you will be remembered for your negative thoughts rather than your positive ones.

Im aware of Gus mentioning Ceroc quite a lot both in a positive AND negative way. Surely I cant be the only one ? Is this your own opinion that you assume others share perhaps ? :)

djtrev
1st-December-2004, 04:56 PM
No Smurf just my opinion for what it's worth.If anybody agrees they will let us know.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 04:58 PM
Im in an argumentative mood ;)

djtrev
1st-December-2004, 05:03 PM
Sorry Smurf.That didnt seem like a very good answer when I read it back.

What I am saying is that in general it seems to me that the public at large invariably when talking of somebody will more than likely say"you know Gus,he's the one always moaning about Ceroc" rather than "you know Gus he's the one always saying nice things........"

Dreadful Scathe
1st-December-2004, 05:17 PM
I was arguing against your generalisation to present a balance, but you are right of course - people to tend to remember the negatives more than the positives. I think sometimes though Gus has gone out of his way to look for a positive thing to say so that he can maintain a balance. Gus has the same problem everyone else has - if you know something well you are likely to remember the negative things about it and discuss them more than the positive. A positive conversation is not one that is likely to lead to much of a discussion.

e.g. 'Ceroc is a really easy way to learn to dance'...er..'yes it is!' pretty much the end of that conversation. People tend not to start conversations/threads that they think serve no purpose. (except me - I dont care if my posts have a purpose ;)). So positives can be dead-ends, but negatives like 'Ceroc doesnt cater for Advanced Dancers' opens up all sorts of interesting conversations. These are the things worth discussing I think. We do occasionally still get reminded of the good things in life, just not if you watch CNN much :)

Dazzle
3rd-December-2004, 11:33 PM
What is the point of being the Official Devil's Advocate if not to light the touch paper and stand well back? Nobody ever remembers the things you do or say right, whatever the balance, only the negatives. That unfortunately, is life! :sad:

Back on thread I don't really care who it is. The fact is that what is promised doesn't appear to be being delivered. Good idea, could have been planned better with corresponding lessons/classes. When I presented my voucher the venue had not seen one before and had no idea what they were expecting, even though everyone had the T-shirts on and posters adorning the walls.

See, I managed to get through without even mentioning Ceroc, DOH!

Martin
6th-December-2004, 12:48 AM
I have yet to see Dirty Dancing 2.

Taking Dirty Dancing 1 as an example, I am sure some or most of the moves are, or will be used in Ceroc as part of general dance/workshops. So Ceroc would be a good place to start.
They are certainly used and taught by some people in Ceroc/Modern Jive that I know.

People need to start with the basics and then develop that into the style they want.

So I say - great idea :clap: well done on the initiative.
With a clear explaination by the door staff, I am sure there will be many happy new customers who will enhance thier social life and dance skills. :cheers: