PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is coming....

Gordon J Pownall
30th-November-2004, 02:54 PM
OK so jut a shorit note to ask who is going to what and where...???

There is so much on over Christmas and New Year thought we'd see who is doing what....

Bangers & Mash
30th-November-2004, 04:10 PM
OK so jut a shorit note to ask who is going to what and where...???

There is so much on over Christmas and New Year thought we'd see who is doing what....

are you assuming that we are only going to one event this xmas? :rofl:
How about a multi-poll :whistle:

Lynn
30th-November-2004, 04:13 PM
The Belfast Post-Christmas Party on Wed 29th Dec.

(Well, I have to be there, I'm running it!)

Any other forumites going... Drathzel?

CJ
30th-November-2004, 04:23 PM
Is it thoughtlessness?

Is it arrogance?

Is it ignorance?

Is it the blind, stupid, apologetically-pathetically-flawed belief that this whole planet upon which we live, love, share, dance and interact revolves around the city of London?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I imagine most of the active members of this forum will be doing something for Christmas, and- just as surely- believe most of them won't be involved in any of the above mentioned events, even though they will probably still do more than one.

Gordy,

get over yourself mate.

Bangers & Mash
30th-November-2004, 04:30 PM
Is it thoughtlessness?

Is it arrogance?

Is it ignorance?

Is it the blind, stupid, apologetically-pathetically-flawed belief that this whole planet upon which we live, love, share, dance and interact revolves around the city of London?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I imagine most of the active members of this forum will be doing something for Christmas, and- just as surely- believe most of them won't be involved in any of the above mentioned events, even though they will probably still do more than one.

Gordy,

get over yourself mate.

fight! fight!

time to get 40 mates and meet outside the school gates!!

:rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-November-2004, 04:47 PM
Is it thoughtlessness?

Is it arrogance?

Is it ignorance?

Gordy,

get over yourself mate.
hmm perhaps he should have read some of the other obvious threads about the things that are happening up here over this xmas/hogmanay period as well and at least mentioned them ?

p.s. Whats a cheshunt ?

jockey
1st-December-2004, 07:19 PM
I am working in Aldershot (home of the British Army), Hants from 12 Dec - 24 Dec and will hoping to dance loads; any info on good venues eg., Twyford (I'm determined to make it Jedi Knight), Dorking, Hammersmith, Ealing (I'm staying in Bracknell with a mate) would be welcome. I shall have my fab stall ('JUkebox Jewellery') in the Wellington Centre and all forumites are entitled to a whopping discount. :cheers:

Graham
1st-December-2004, 07:25 PM
fight! fight!

time to get 40 mates and meet outside the school gates!!

:rofl:
Don't be silly - CJ won't need 40 mates against a bunch of southern pansies :wink:

philsmove
1st-December-2004, 11:55 PM
Weston Super Mare 11 December :cheers:

Heather
2nd-December-2004, 12:24 AM
Is it thoughtlessness?

Is it arrogance?

Is it ignorance?

Gordy,

get over yourself mate.
:yeah: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said CJ . Everyone knows that the centre of the dancing universe is DUNDEE !!! :rofl: :rofl:
Must be true the lovely Dale is coming up here for Christmas and New Year !!! Scotland is THE place to be !!

:hug:
Heather,
XX

Trish
2nd-December-2004, 01:37 PM
Well said CJ!

I just wish I was anywhere near either Scotland or London, not that you can't get excellent dances in the Ceroc Central area, but there isn't as many, and you have to travel further!

I shall be going to the St Neots Christmas Freestyle on 17th Dec, which is always packed but excellent! I shall also be going to the themed weeknight Christmas parties at Peterborough in the same week - Tuesday is a Gold and Silver theme, and Thursday is a beach party I think - they're always a really good laugh.

Can't go out dancing on New Year unfortunately as my lovely Muggle husband would get upset, and it is nice to have someone to kiss at midnight on New Year's Eve!

Rachel
2nd-December-2004, 01:51 PM
...I just wish I was anywhere near either Scotland or London, not that you can't get excellent dances in the Ceroc Central area, but there isn't as many, and you have to travel further! ... Well, I guess we all like to think we're hard done by, but Peterborough has numerous venues within a 40/50 mile radius. I think we've actually got more choice than anyone. Just try asking any of the Scots on this forum how far they travel for a good night out dancing!

And even if the London dancers have more venues which are nearer to them in distance, it can often take twice as long for them to travel across the city than it would for us to drive there.

Rachel

Bangers & Mash
2nd-December-2004, 02:05 PM
Well said CJ!

I just wish I was anywhere near either Scotland or London

Totally agree. The parties in Scotland are going to be awesome this year. I just negotiated a contract in Holland and told them a list of dates I wasn't available in December based on "other work commitments" - didn't want to tell them it was based purely on the Scottish MJ Party Xmas Diary!! :whistle:

drathzel
2nd-December-2004, 02:32 PM
The Belfast Post-Christmas Party on Wed 29th Dec.

(Well, I have to be there, I'm running it!)

Any other forumites going... Drathzel?

Well i dunno...... hehehe

drathzel
2nd-December-2004, 02:33 PM
Is it thoughtlessness?

Is it arrogance?

Is it ignorance?

Gordy,

get over yourself mate.

Woo hoo Ceroc Scotland is fighting back!!!!!!!

Rhythm King
2nd-December-2004, 03:04 PM
Don't be silly - CJ won't need 40 mates against a bunch of southern pansies :wink:

Well said, that man in the PINKSuit!! :wink:

Andy McGregor
2nd-December-2004, 03:16 PM
What's a cheshunt ?

This is a traditional hunt done by men on Christmas eve - for want of a better name your quarry is called the "ches". You've been down the pub with your workmates and had a drink or two (or ten :sick: ) too many - then you pop into the perfume and make-up area of a department store to buy your loved one their Christmas present, you've got 17 minutes to find that perfect present before the shop closes, you feel a bit queasy and unsteady but you know you might as well sleep at work if your mission is unsuccessful. And as you don't know if you've got any Christmas wrapping paper at home you have your gift wrapped by the assistant.

On Christmas morning you're relieved find this wrapped gift in your briefcase, but you can't actually remember what it is and it's so well wrapped you can't take a quick peek :confused:

The special skill is not looking surprised, then relieved when your loved one actually likes your present :wink:

N.B. I had this for Sue's last birthday. I ended up staggering around Regent street and bought a hugely expensive Cross pen that was cunningly disguised as something you might get for free in a petrol station :tears:

Rhythm King
2nd-December-2004, 03:19 PM
snipAnd even if the London dancers have more venues which are nearer to them in distance, it can often take twice as long for them to travel across the city than it would for us to drive there.

Rachel
:yeah: I can get to Cambridge quicker than I can get to Ealing, and as for trying to get to the late lamented Bisley on a Friday, well . . .

On the other hand I have made it to Perth (BFG) and Boogienights, and will try to make it to some of the other Scottish venues, just not over X-mas.
Haven't sorted out a New Year do yet, but am looking into going to Coralie, or Adam's events.

R-K

Gordon J Pownall
3rd-December-2004, 03:26 PM
Well...

the simple idea of offering a list of few venues that I knew about and were doing something over Christmas / New Year / Hogmanay has obviously backfired upon me.

I have been told to 'get over myself' by a certain individual and so I suppose I guess that is what I will now do.....

My intention for this post / thread was so that people could either say where they were going or individuals could add to the list (kind of on behalf of those organisations who are not authorised to advertise).

I was obviously very misguided in believing that this would be interpreted as anything other than a positive thread - how naive of me, particularly when you read the comments that have been made...

In jest or not, Ceroc Jock's comment I found to be wholly inappopriate, offensive, misplaced and mis-guided. Good will to all men - apparently not (and no justification by the way...???).

London is not the centre of the dance universe, nor is the South nor, I hasten to add is Scotland.

Dance events will be taking place all over the Country and in Ireland - all I sought to do was to generate a thread where we could all find out about these - I didn't expect the abuse I received for doing so.

So, I guess I shall just leave the forum and focus on getting over myself.....

...very, very upset and confused........

CJ
3rd-December-2004, 03:59 PM
As I started off the "negativity" then I should really start the positivity... :clap:

So, Gordy...

you REALLY need to get over yourself. :flower:

Reread the posts. Reread your opening... Your post that went with the poll says NOTHING of what is in the post just above this.

Your post, and poll, says:

"Hey, members, from all over the world, of a Scottish Forum: which events are you going to?
Here's the list: some london ones, some more london ones, some london ones that may or may not have paid their dues to help keep the forum running and cover Franck's costs..."

and not:

"Hey, Christmas is coming. Party on dudes/dudesses!!
Here are some events I know of: where are you going?!?"

Gordy, get over yourself, mate

was meant somewhat flippantly, but I seem to have excelled myself. To be "wholly inappopriate, offensive, misplaced and mis-guided." in one go is quite an achievement: my previous highest was 2 and 1/2 out of the four!! :D

Gordy, I do apologise if I have offended you. I had no idea you were really THAT sensitive. Certainly, I feel as a forumite who is prepared to dole wit (ok, it WAS only once, but it still counts!!), sarcasm and more than a little narrative towards others, that I have an obligation to take it when it is fired back. My hope is that other forumites who are quick to hand out comments would, also, be able to take things back.

Abuse?!? Where? I haven't seen any from anyone. However, either by PM or here, feel free to prove me wrong and point out what I have missed: I am always happy to be corrected.

I am truly sorry if I have been the cause for you to leave this forum. I think it much better that people leave the forum for valid reasons and not for a tantrum. That is my humble opinion and is, like everything else I offer to this forum, open to debate.

All said and done: are you really going to "get over yourself" just because I told you to? Gawd, if every forumite was to do as I had said, Trampy would disappear and DS would throw himself off a, oh, wait a minute... :eek: Seriously, the forum is a wonderful thing and you shouldn't leave on my account.

Those of you that know me, I would hope, are aware that my goodwill to all men quotient is proportionally high, and that I would never, NEVER intentionally hurt anyone. Not even ChrisA!! :wink: So, Gordy...

I invite you to reread everything, and if you still feel I have wronged you then I unconditionally apologise.

to the forum for having had to read this. :flower:

Flippancy aside:
Gordy, it would appear that I misread your intention re your original post, and maybe my questions were valid. Perhaps it was thoughtlessness within your thoughtful deed that gave a certain impression. To be fair, I was most certainly not the only member to come away with that impression.

Anyway, look again at it all in the cold light of day, and if I AM due you an apology, you will recieve it.

I am your humble

CJ.
( :devil: )

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-December-2004, 06:23 PM
Well said CJ. Gordy - this thread would have had no comments if it hadnt been for the poll that selected only a few venues, it was short sighted of you. People are understandably annoyed if a poll they are interested in turns out to have no option other than 'none of the above' for them. Label your items clearly, subversive behaviour will not be tolerated unless you are Andy McGregor. :D

Analyzing aside...no one gives a ****, we just like to complain and you asked for it :). Doesnt mean we dont still love you ;)

Mind you CJ might be crying himself to sleep tonight on his virgin white pillow, ALL BECAUSE OF YOU. He's a saint that man, a saint! Yet you called him 'offensive'. Sir, thats like calling Mother Theresa a "crack whore". I shall have to ask you to step outside.....<puts up fisticuffs>

ChrisA
3rd-December-2004, 07:07 PM
I've read this thread with complete disbelief. Well, not complete, cos I know what the lot on here are like. :rolleyes:

But why anyone should kick off at someone being interested in where people that live within his own local catchment area are going over Xmas and New Year, is completely beyond me.

I don't give a ---'- ---- where the centre of the dancing universe is. I'm perfectly happy for it to be Dundee, or somewhere else in Scotland. And I'm perfectly happy for it to be on record that all the best, friendliest luvviest dancers are north of Hadrian's wall. Dammit I've even danced with some of them, and not a stinker or yanker amongst em :flower:

But if I'm trying to decide where I might go, who I might see, in the dance world over the festive season, it has to be said that as a Londoner, I don't care who's going where in Scotland, or anywhere else except my local catchment area.

I mean he was a bit of a berk not to set it up as a multi-answer poll, and I suppose knowing the lot on here, it would have been more sensitive to specify that it was his area only, but I'm not convinced it's Gordy that needs to get over himself. Has it been raining a lot up there or something recently? :devil:

:cheers:

Chris

DavidY
4th-December-2004, 12:32 AM
I just wish I was anywhere near either Scotland or London, not that you can't get excellent dances in the Ceroc Central area, but there isn't as many, and you have to travel further!

I shall be going to the St Neots Christmas Freestyle on 17th Dec, which is always packed but excellent! I shall also be going to the themed weeknight Christmas parties at Peterborough in the same weekWhat about the Masquerade dance at Daventry on 27 Dec? Daventry freestyles are usually very good...

Magic Hans
4th-December-2004, 01:21 AM
Xmas??

'Spose I'll have to do the usual!! :tears: :tears:

Visit me sis, and her seven kids .... I'll take the arnica gel this year, might help heal the bruises a bit quicker.

[How come adults get done for child abuse, and kids get praised for adult abuse!!! ... don't make sense!! :confused: :confused: ]

Have to remember to take a whole box of toothpicks ... industrial strength. My sis has a real knack of creating a cooked turkey, so dry that it dehumidifies on contact with the atmosphere!! I'm sure there's a market for it [and it's not the eating one!]

Try to avoid getting into any drunken arguments with my dad, who has the logic of a squirrel on speed when he's drunk.

Try to avoid talking to my Mum when she gets drunk, and tries to plan out the next 30 years of my life .... marriage, kids, divorce, marriage again!!

Really try really hard to pretend to be asleep at 23:50 Christmas Eve. I'd personally like to hang draw and quarter whatever sadist invented midnight mass (after shooting, and internally combusting them).

Finally come back home, relieved it's all bleedin' over again for another year!!

[Disclaimer: The above bears no relationship to anything that I, my family, anyone that my family knows nor, infact, the entire human race, past or present .... has, or ever will do. Any similarity to the above description and real life are entirely co-incidental ..... honest guv]

Take care .... and happy Xmas, New Year, Hogmanay .... or anything else is worth being happy for in this time of seasonal happiness and joy!

Ian