PDA

View Full Version : Great Endings To A Dance

Zebra Woman
28th-November-2004, 03:35 PM
I just have to share the best ending to a dance ever....well so far anyway

Last night I was dancing on the stage with DJ Toby Wan Kenobe. He knew he had to be back at the decks to cue the next song, but he had put me into a deep dip on the opposite side of the stage. :eek:

His solution? :devil: He keeps me in the dip but gives me a wonderful long slow drag :drool: all the way across the stage arriving at the decks bang on time for him to reach across with his spare hand and press the cue button with me still dipped. Now that's what I call a good finish. :clap:

Utterly intoxicating that was :clap: :worthy:

Has anyone else had a memorable finish?

Of course we all know it's the middle that counts (and the middle was fab too TWK :worthy: thank you )

Daisy Chain
29th-November-2004, 01:43 PM

Errr not exactly a finish but I did finish a man off rather memorably with an involuntary Frank Spencer impression. As he went for a spectacular sliding drop, I emitted a loud "Oooooooooooooooooooo" Needless to say, we were both reduced to a heap of helpless giggles and couldn't dance for a fair chunk of the remaining track.

I was still chortling at the end of the dance and quite spoilt the moment as he went for his Big Finish. A romantic style seducer is not quite the same if the lady isl shaking with mirth and giggling helplessly.

But it goes down as one of my most memorable moments on the dance floor :rofl: Hope he'll still dance with me next time we meet! :blush:

Ooooooooooooooo Betty

Daisy Chain

(A Stomach Clutching Flower)

ElaineB
29th-November-2004, 01:56 PM

Last night I was dancing on the stage with DJ Toby Wan Kenobe. He knew he had to be back at the decks to cue the next song, but he had put me into a deep dip on the opposite side of the stage. :eek:

His solution? :devil: He keeps me in the dip but gives me a wonderful long slow drag :drool: all the way across the stage arriving at the decks bang on time for him to reach across with his spare hand and press the cue button with me still dipped. Now that's what I call a good finish. :clap:

Of course we all know it's the middle that counts (and the middle was fab too TWK :worthy: thank you )

TWK - he's so talented! :clap: :rofl: :flower:

Elaine

Leg Warmers
29th-November-2004, 04:50 PM
I don't think anyone can top that finish ZW (slick move TWK) however i did produce a rather interesting 'middle break' on Sat evening... :sick:

For those of you that sadly missed the interlude, it went a bit like this:

had one of the best dances with Simon, :waycool: halfway through he decides to do a cartwheel and flip with a few spins thrown in for good measure.. whilst he was doing that i thought i try out a few groovy new flicks myself (err thinking back what it a good idea to do??)

dance shoes+fast dance floor+slick foot flicks=a butt fall !! :tears:

which is exactly what happened to me...! Now, i'm just wondering if anyone got it for the record as in 10 years i've been dancing i've never given such a dramatic break before!!!!

so I suppose you could say I'm now available for circus acrobatics & stunt movies...> :rofl:

Lory
29th-November-2004, 05:02 PM
a butt fall !! :tears:

ooooh! how I wish I'd been there! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you seen your welcome thread? :wink: :D

Leg Warmers
29th-November-2004, 05:21 PM
Ah.. yes you would have seen what could only be described as 'taking advantage of the creative opportunities of a dance floor...' :innocent:
i seem to remember Simon dancing round me before picking me up !!!!

haven't seen the note yet!

ps: Love yr Avatar... how do i upload something dif to what's on here?

see u tues X :hug:

ooooh! how I wish I'd been there! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you seen your welcome thread? :wink: :D

Bangers & Mash
30th-November-2004, 01:16 AM
I did one of my best ever finishes last week. Perfectly executed down to the last foot position :clap: :clap:

Shame the track didn't fiinish at the same time :tears:

Gadget
1st-December-2004, 03:08 AM
{Another article... sorry:blush::D}
As with the rest of my dancing, I find that I am getting better at making it up as I go along: I can now string an end move on for as long as is needed or stop it with the music. False endings still get me on occasion, but I can recover satisfactorily and pretend that it was a 'false end' to the dance as well :innocent:.

I find that an ending is best ended on a pose; when the music stops, you should be in a good pose {IMHO}:
What's a good pose?...

- a 'proposal', on one knee, lower than the lady, a distance between you, offering her your smile.
Exit from the first move is great for this - just follow and keep the hand on the hip to break. A swizzle can also be used or following the motion from a comb. Dramatic ending, but hard to recover from if you time it wrong.

- a seduction, leaning over the lady (or at least appearing to), holding her close and following the lines of her body with your own
Again, the first move is a good start, or any turn in/from a move can be used to initiate a seducer. This is better for a slow ending; gradual descent to end at the low point. If timed wrong, it can be exited with relative ease - a simple up and turn out leads into the last pose, or use the turn to go into another one.

- a lean, side by side, lunged, taking the lady's weight on your hip
For the ladies, this can feel less secure than a seducer, but any basket or wrap move could be used - even the side-to-side part of the first move. Used like the seducer in terms of timing, but easier to recover from for a second pose.

- a cuddle, close basket with the lady in front, offset with her R foot in-between your feet and your R between hers.
It's a basket. Can also be done from a 'crucifix' type move or stepped round from a first move for interesting variations. Normally end with a little lean backwards. Personally it's my favourite ending just now :hug: and is the most simple to transform into another exit.

- an open-out, an extension on the same level putting you both as far away from each other while still touching
An un-wrap, open first move, side-to side, or even a simple catch and step back from a turn/spin. Key for this one is attitude and use of the spare hand. swooping in from this to a proposal or drawing the lady into you for a lean are the simplest ways of going into another pose.

Not an exhaustive list, but I try to end on one of these. Extended, dying chords may find an exit from one into another, or what was going to be a specific exit has to change into another move because I'm a whole phrase out.
Ladies often think that just because I'm going into a dip and the song is fading, that's the end of the dance - smoothly taking them out of that, turning and putting ourselves into a final pose to stop moving with the music is so much more satisfying.

Something that slows or fades out will try and time the motion to stop smoothly with the track. Something that has a sudden stop will force a "freeze frame" pose at that point - making it look deliberate is half the fun.
(I can see several couples out of the corner of my eye 'stuck' at the low point of a seducer, waiting for the song to end, or giving up and saying "thank you" over the last dying notes. Such a smug feeling of superiority: to pull off the end of a dance with the end of a song when all about you struggle. :devil: Of course it's also great to end a song like that when no-one is watching or everyone is managing... but all the sweeter with a pinch of smugness.)
I love trying to get the ending right - it's about a quarter of the track's dancing pleasure for me*. That's why I loathe the times that DJs mix things together and chop off the end. I dislike false endings and songs that seem to last forever, but they are sometimes a challenge.

(*the remainder pleasure being divided into half from the lady and the remaining quarter improvising the moves to the music)

Simon r
1st-December-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't think anyone can top that finish ZW (slick move TWK) however i did produce a rather interesting 'middle break' on Sat evening... :sick:

For those of you that sadly missed the interlude, it went a bit like this:

had one of the best dances with Simon, :waycool: halfway through he decides to do a cartwheel and flip with a few spins thrown in for good measure.. whilst he was doing that i thought i try out a few groovy new flicks myself (err thinking back what it a good idea to do??)

dance shoes+fast dance floor+slick foot flicks=a butt fall !! :tears:

which is exactly what happened to me...! Now, i'm just wondering if anyone got it for the record as in 10 years i've been dancing i've never given such a dramatic break before!!!!

so I suppose you could say I'm now available for circus acrobatics & stunt movies...> :rofl:

Hey hun it was a fab dance and your butt fall was just on the beat

Yogi_Bear
3rd-January-2005, 01:08 AM
.........I love trying to get the ending right - it's about a quarter of the track's dancing pleasure for me*. That's why I loathe the times that DJs mix things together and chop off the end. I dislike false endings and songs that seem to last forever, but they are sometimes a challenge.

(*the remainder pleasure being divided into half from the lady and the remaining quarter improvising the moves to the music)

In my case:
One quarter improvising the moves to the music - including the ending but the beginning is equally important;
One half relating to my partner;
One quarter floorcraft and trying to avoid collisions!

DangerousCurves
12th-January-2005, 12:43 AM
One of my favourite all time endings was watching a wicked friend of mine spin a lady several times, then execute a lightning fast "columbian" style step routine across the floor, throw her down into a deep dip gazing adoringly into her eyes.... and then drag her out through the open venue doors into the car park.

Her squeal could be heard for some distance..... :rofl:

Jon L
12th-January-2005, 01:10 AM
The one I tend to use for a nice end is a comb lean or a drape.

DianaS
25th-February-2005, 10:27 AM
I had an unusual ending the other night the song came to an end and instead of ending with a move we ended as a pair of statues kind of posed.

Don't know how it happened I've been looking at stills of dancers in a different class and using the stills but this guy isn't in the class (it isn't modern jibve and was using classical forms) and he just did it naturally...

I'm still wondering how did he know that I would know what to do? and how did it happen..
and where is he now??

Zebra Woman
25th-February-2005, 10:43 AM
I had an unusual ending the other night the song came to an end and instead of ending with a move we ended as a pair of statues kind of posed.

Don't know how it happened I've been looking at stills of dancers in a different class and using the stills but this guy isn't in the class (it isn't modern jibve and was using classical forms) and he just did it naturally...

I'm still wondering how did he know that I would know what to do? and how did it happen..
and where is he now??

Wow that sound's really cool Diana :waycool: . What a connection ! :worthy:

Sometimes I wonder about how we are communicating when we dance. I definitely think there is an element of mind reading going on . :what:

I find it much harder to follow the lead of a man who isn't looking at me that's for sure.

ZW :flower:

Lory
25th-February-2005, 11:37 AM
I find it much harder to follow the lead of a man who isn't looking at me that's for sure.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I couldn't agree more!

Hamish_A
25th-February-2005, 12:02 PM
IHe keeps me in the dip but gives me a wonderful long slow drag :drool: all the way across the stage arriving at the decks bang on time for him to reach across with his spare hand and press the cue button with me still dipped. Now that's what I call a good finish. :clap:

:yeah:
I went for a truely intoxicating finish once.
Dacing at Bisley (and before I say anymore I must say it was with a good friend of mine & we always have a laugh).

At the end of the track I put in a drop & slowly, seductively, dragged her across the floor to ......... err..... the bar where I ordered us some drinks - bang on the end of the track :blush: :D :cheers:

Sounds weird I know - but it worked for us. Can't remember the track now but I do remember it was appropiate some how. Ready to duck some flames now!

had one of the best dances with Simon, halfway through he decides to do a cartwheel and flip with a few spins thrown in for good measure.
No doubt which Simon your talking about there then! :clap: :worthy:

DianaS
25th-February-2005, 12:05 PM
Wow that sound's really cool Diana :waycool: . What a connection ! :worthy:

Sometimes I wonder about how we are communicating when we dance. I definitely think there is an element of mind reading going on . :what:

Hi there ZW
its a really strange thing isn't it when you are communicating, but not through taught signals, its definatly somethimes just by a glance...
:flower:

Clive Long
25th-February-2005, 12:16 PM
<< cut >>

Guilty as charged (although I'm sure it was not a personal jibe - just a general observation by you)

.. and why I would NOT want to fix all my attention on you and Lory when we dance is beyond me :confused: ...

Clive (a timid little flower :flower: )

Andreas
25th-February-2005, 01:29 PM
Not that this is anything to brag with. Last time at Ashtons I did a kneeling finish with Tessa. Well, the move was spot on in terms of timing (I think) but I almost cocked it up because I had forgotten which knee to go down on and only just made the correct decision to avoid the disaster. Funny moment and could have been sooooo embarrassing :rofl: :rofl:

bobgadjet
25th-February-2005, 01:37 PM

I find it difficult with you :whistle:
Those eyes of your just melt me sometimes, and I lose track of whats playing as I drift away as you hipnotizzzzzzzzzzzz

eerrrr..........me :eek:

HML
25th-February-2005, 02:09 PM
A good ending for me is one that leads into the next song!! That way you know you have both had a fab dance :grin:

I do find it really hard to get a good ending on songs that fade or slow rather than stop. I often struggle to find a beat or to know whether the move is the last move and to "present"!!

...................Although I do think that I am stubborn and without a defiant lead I will do what I like!! :whistle: