PDA

View Full Version : Wet Shirts

Minnie M
24th-November-2004, 12:30 PM
yuck yuck :sick:
Last night I danced with a guy who was almost dripping wet, and he still insisted on doing 'combs' and close leans etc.

I came off the floor almost as wet as him :sick:

Most venues have peppermints at the door and some mention body odour - but what about change of T-shirts etc. I have found that a lot of guys only bring one change

If you are wet fellas PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't perform moves that make your partner feel uncomfortable (plus wet hands makes are difficult to keep hold of)

IDEA :whistle:

Us girlies have throw-a-way paper nicks for emergencies - can someone design paper T-shirts for dancing - maybe a merchandising idea :D

senorita
24th-November-2004, 12:52 PM
yuck yuck and more yuck!! :sick:

I could not agree with you anymore minnie. Any one would think they wanted to be entered into a wet T-shirt compition or something!! :whistle: Bring on the disposible T-shirts etc :rofl:

Last night I danced with two guys that felt like they just jumped into a lake, and of course made my clothes very damp as well as very smelly. One in particular not only was very wet but smelt so very bad too (like old dirty sweat)...my top smelt awful after dancing with him :sick: ...he didnt change...I had to change my top instead after dancing with him. :whistle:

I do wish they would bring towels, extra T-shirts, deodrants

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 01:32 PM
Broken record time, folks, sorry...

... but here we go again. :tears:

Just don't dance with them if they're dripping wet and/or they smell bad. There really is no point putting up with it on the dance floor and then posting here about how awful it was - chances are that the people on here aren't the offenders for the most part, so you're really complaining to the wrong audience.

It's the culture change I was talking about yesterday that needs to happen.

Imagine, just for a moment, if you will, a culture where girls didn't accept dances from blokes that were dripping wet or stank. Don't you think that the guys would get their act together pretty damn quick?

It's the ongoing continued acceptance of all these dreadful things that ensures their proliferation.

So there you go. If you don't like it, don't dance. If you do dance, and it grosses you out for some reason, stop dancing. Very simple, really. :flower:

Chris

MartinHarper
24th-November-2004, 01:33 PM
What happened to "it's not the sweat, it's the smell"? (cf Gagging for a dance (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3781))

Incidentally, I know one guy who can take a fresh shirt from bone dry to dripping wet in around five or ten dances, once he's properly warmed up. He's clean, he doesn't smell, but his sweat glands are efficient.

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 01:36 PM
What happened to "it's not the sweat, it's the smell"? (cf Gagging for a dance (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3781))
A light sheen is acceptable.

Looking like you've fallen in a swimming pool is not, IMHO.

:eek:

from bone dry to dripping wet in around five or ten dances,

Five dances is about 20 minutes. That's three shirts an hour.

What's unreasonable about that?

Chris

Dreadful Scathe
24th-November-2004, 02:26 PM
No one ever complains of a Wet T-Shirt on the ladies ? :confused: Is this a sexism issue? We need pictures to compare ! :) :rolleyes: :D

baldrick
24th-November-2004, 02:33 PM
No one ever complains of a Wet T-Shirt on the ladies ? :confused: Is this a sexism issue? We need pictures to compare ! :) :rolleyes: :D
Dissagreement rolls into town. Don't like a sweaty small of back on ladies. Catching after running hand across the damp patch, is tough with a wet hand, plus it looks so bad trying to wipe hand surupticiously (spell check please) on trousers before re-establishing contact. Loose several cool points per wipe. :whistle:

Lory
24th-November-2004, 02:38 PM
One in particular not only was very wet but smelt so very bad too (like old dirty sweat)...my top smelt awful after dancing with him :sick: ...he didnt change...
I bet this was the same guy, I had a brief (not brief enough) encounter with during the lesson...Yes, the lesson! the very start of the evening! Young, good looking AND a fabulous dancer but ARGHHHHHH :sick: :sick: :sick: he STANK!

In fact, the smell was so bad, I had to steer my partners away from him during freestyle as it affected a whole area! :angry:

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 02:54 PM
I bet this was the same guy, I had a brief (not brief enough) encounter with during the lesson...Yes, the lesson! the very start of the evening! Young, good looking AND a fabulous dancer but ARGHHHHHH :sick: :sick: :sick: he STANK!

In fact, the smell was so bad, I had to steer my partners away from him during freestyle as it affected a whole area! :angry:

I just hope I'm never in the unfortunate position of being a bit whiffy. I mean, I shower before I go dancing, and I always wear clean clothes

... but...

...I would so hate the first I heard about it to be by working out that it was me, from people's comments about where they'd danced.

:tears: :tears: :tears:

senorita
24th-November-2004, 03:08 PM
yes lory....tis was him....nice looking...but pooweeee :sick:

chrisA you only smell nice...you neverever smell, nor feel wet to me :nice: :flower:

P.S. following up what Mr smurf mentioned: I did win a miss wet T-shirt compition once :blush: :whistle:

Lory
24th-November-2004, 03:10 PM
I just hope I'm never in the unfortunate position of being a bit whiffy. I mean, I shower before I go dancing, and I always wear clean clothesI've never known you to be whiffy but from what you say, you make a concious effort to maintain that status! ;)

...I would so hate the first I heard about it to be by working out that it was me, from people's comments about where they'd danced.

:tears: :tears: :tears:

I did hessitate in posting this BUT I stand by my comment!

And, if everyone who reads this, questions themselves, 'could it have been me' :confused:

Then as a result, makes an extra effort, not to smell!............. GOOD! ;) :clap:

If I'd have had the courage, I'd have told him but I wasn't brave enough :blush: (to get that near! :rofl: )

Flame away! :flower:

stewart38
24th-November-2004, 03:12 PM
I do wish they would bring towels, extra T-shirts, deodrants

You see many men spraying bottles of deodrants on them in the toilets.

I think sometimes that makes them smell worse

If someone need to change their tee shirts 15 times because their sweating like a lake go to you GP and have some of you sweat glands cut. Just an idea ? I never need to change as I smell as fresh as a daisy

Gadget
24th-November-2004, 03:19 PM
I used to feel guilty about having a sweaty t-shirt/shirt - I dance all night. Depending on the venue and the weather, I can end a night with sweat dripping off the end of my nose or just a damp t-shirt and the small of my back being wet.
But have overcome this feeling of guilt by taking a few precautions:
- I try not to do too many close or "blusey" moves towards the end of the night unless I have recently changed shirts.
- After a particularly energetic or hot dance, I cut down on the number of shoulder slides and man-spins. I can also lead them with a little flick or body ripple (that probably looks naff) to try to avoid the lady dragging her hand accross my back.
- Combs try to land on material rather than sweaty necks, and only perform short-combs or variations that avoid lingering.
- I warn and appologise to my partner before we start that I am a bit soggy, giving them an opportunity to decline or comment.
- I don't give the sweat a chance to dry or cool down; I dance untill they kick me out. Only stale sweat smells.

If you can lead it, there only needs to be the contact between hands - the state of dampness of the man should not really have an impact on the dance.

Several times I have been caught going to change my shirt and been told "after this dance" :rolleyes: I can only assume that some ladies are not so picky - well, they dance with me...

Minnie M
24th-November-2004, 03:22 PM
..........Just don't dance with them if they're dripping wet and/or they smell bad. ..............

Easier said then done Chris - you don't know if the guy pongs when he first asks for a dance, and far as them being so wet that you end up being their towel :what:

All we ask for is a little consideration maybe this could be mentioned in the class environment

Dancers like yourself ARE considerate and us girlies love you for it, in fact most of the good dancers are, however new dancers to the scene seem to ignoring this. With enough dance teachers on this forum, maybe these comments will be introduced in class (hopefully)

Broken record YES - but I don't think the answer is "Don't dance with them" - maybe "Tell them" but who is going to volunteer :whistle: Hence the idea of disposable T-Shirts/very cheap promotional T-shirts for sale on the door, maybe a silly idea, but I think it has a certain potential - or as an alternative very cheap towels (one of my pet hates, when people grab my towel and wipe themselves, saying "you don't mind" as they as doing it )

stewart38
24th-November-2004, 03:34 PM
- I don't give the sweat a chance to dry or cool down; I dance untill they kick me out. Only stale sweat smells.

I always 'dry down' if I get too sweaty and for me it usually head face etc not back, body which seems to be ok.

I usually use hand driers metal type,ladies dress or back etc

'Drying off' could be after 2 or 3 dances or 10 but its a concious effort to get totally 'dry' again' before going back on dance floor.

I never dance if im dripping wet

And if Andy ever wanted me to dance with a man that looked like he had come out of a wet tee shirt contest forget it

Ladies whats better a wet man or dry man with tiny tiny tiny bit of smell if you look for it under their armpits.

These are purely bias Opinions

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 03:35 PM
I've never known you to be whiffy but from what you say, you make a concious effort to maintain that status! ;)

Of course. But if I ever did, it seems like there's a good chance that the first I'd hear of it would via a right slagging in a public forum.

I guess that although I loathe the stink, I do kinda feel that the guys that do it need to be told. Otherwise people dance with them, and look miserable (or fake it), or don't dance with them, and they have no idea why.

Like I say, I would be mortified to discover, maybe weeks or months after the problem started, that no one could tell me to my face, but they could slag me off namelessly on a public forum, or avoid dancing with me, or pretend to be enjoying it when they weren't.

I know I'd rather have the brief sting of the honesty than the agony of discovering eventually that I had a reputation as a stinker.

And, if everyone who reads this, questions themselves, 'could it have been me' :confused:

Then as a result, makes an extra effort, not to smell!............. GOOD! ;) :clap:

Good point, but probably the wrong audience. Any stinkers hanging out here have probably long since reformed. You may of course know better :eek:

If I'd have had the courage, I'd have told him but I wasn't brave enough :blush: (to get that near! :rofl: )

Flame away! :flower:
No flame, hun :flower:, but since you girls are the ones that have to put up with it for the most part, it just seems to me that the price to pay for getting these guys (especially the young, attractive, great dancer ones :whistle: ) to sort themselves out seems quite small.

Chris

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 03:43 PM
Easier said then done Chris - you don't know if the guy pongs when he first asks for a dance, and far as them being so wet that you end up being their towel :what:

Sure, but (a) people get reputations and (b) you don't have to finish the dance if they stink or drip on you. You could say, "could we have another dance when you've changed", perhaps.

but who is going to volunteer :whistle:
Well I had a word with a guy once. He was pretty noxious on a regular basis but seems to have reformed.

(one of my pet hates, when people grab my towel and wipe themselves, saying "you don't mind" as they as doing it )
Now that just amazes me.

Is it any wonder some people are so inconsiderate on the dance floor if there are people out there whose standards include that as "Ok".

:really: :really:

Chris

MartinHarper
24th-November-2004, 03:47 PM
in the toilets

Sadly, the room set aside for people to change T-shirts, etc, is typically the smelliest room in the building. :(

jockey
24th-November-2004, 03:56 PM
Must synpathise, Minnie M, and if and when I get 'wet' I try to change as soon as possible. I bring maybe 4 tops. I find sleeveless T shirts (In USA they are termed 'vests') the best for ventilation. I think the effects of men sweating are greater than those of the fairer sex because there are tacit rules on dress for men: Katie once asked Paul Lucy, a fellow dancer, that he wouldn't be especially welcome next time at her venues if he wore the same (English style 'builders') vest.
Also is it worth mentioning that heavy sweating is a sign of fitness and not the other way round? I wouldn't advise the use of that fact as an excuse , however, chaps, as you are liable to be told exactly what you can do with your finely honed body...

stewart38
24th-November-2004, 04:01 PM
Sure, but (a) people get reputations and (b) you don't have to finish the dance if they stink or drip on you. You could say, "could we have another dance when you've changed", perhaps.

:really: :really:

Chris

Or "do I look like I need watering, when you realise the water shortage is over and you can turn the tap off we can dance again ?"

Who are these sweat buckets or smellies with 'reputations'.

I guess ladies generally smell ok and sweat less ? Generally

For me its sweaty hands that I dont like but that been done on another thread (and I mean excessivly sweaty when one wipe on your trousers wont do !)

bigdjiver
24th-November-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/article.jsp?id=lw906

johnthehappyguy
24th-November-2004, 07:42 PM
Although at first it seems bonkers, it does work.

I had read this elsewhere on the forum, and tried it out.

I guess ~I sweat as much as the average bloke, but I have been told my sweat is less unpleasant - How ? :confused:

If you wear a vest under your shirt , then that acts as a retaining sponge. My vest gets sweaty, but my outer layer stays dryer.

I was sceptical, but it seems to work amazingly well, so I am fresher between changes. :cool:

So try wearing a vest as well as your usual top.

johnthehappyguy :nice:

ChrisA
24th-November-2004, 07:54 PM
My vest gets sweaty, but my outer layer stays dryer.
I can understand why the girls would prefer this... but doesn't it feel horrible to you underneath??? :eek: :sick:

johnthehappyguy
24th-November-2004, 09:11 PM
I can understand why the girls would prefer this... but doesn't it feel horrible to you underneath??? :eek: :sick:

Hi Chris,

It does not feel particularly horrible.

If you want to consider more of my experiences :eek: ;-

Wearing only a loose shirt, then I can feel beads of sweat running down my own back. Which I don't like. :sick:

When I wear a tight"ish" vest underneath, then the sweat does not run down my body, and is absorbed by the vest, which I think feels less unpleasant for me. :innocent:

You did ask !!!

Hope this is of some help!

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Gary
25th-November-2004, 12:10 AM
Incidentally, I know one guy who can take a fresh shirt from bone dry to dripping wet in around five or ten dances, once he's properly warmed up. ...
"five or ten"??? It's more like one or two around here in summer (hot, humid weather and full-on dancing). When it's very hot I bring about a dozen shirts.