PDA

View Full Version : Apple advice please

Claire
21st-November-2004, 08:24 PM
HIYA ALL
I am trying to purchase a webcam for the inlaws who use an Apple computer. I know NOTHING about apples apart from thinking they were green and good for you! Does anyone know of a relatively cheap but decent webcam for that computer? TAAAAAAA

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-November-2004, 10:27 AM
try here for best prices (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=3184135236&action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=49&stid=4) all modern web cams are usb devices and i would expect that there are always OSx drivers for them but check the blurb.

Franck
22nd-November-2004, 12:22 PM
HIYA ALL
I am trying to purchase a webcam for the inlaws who use an Apple computer. I know NOTHING about apples apart from thinking they were green and good for you! Does anyone know of a relatively cheap but decent webcam for that computer? TAAAAAAAAs DS says, most USB cameras should work, though it might be worth doing a quick google search with the camera reference and "mac OS X" to check.

You don't mention what they intend to do with the camera though, but if they are planning to use ichat for video chats, then a firewire webcam would be way better (higher resolution and quality, faster transfer and as a result, no compression is needed between the camera and the mac). I have the Apple webcam: isight and it's brilliant, easy to use, top picture quality, and it looks / fits great on any mac but only worth it if they have broadband.
The iSight sells at £119.00 available from the uk Apple Store. (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90901/wo/rJrG7c0OhIU928TZMSP1zLrPlrc/1.0.11.1.0.6.10.1.0.1.17.0)

You could also try and find the ADS Pyro 1394 WebCam, it is also firewire, but only around £60.00. Unfortunately Amazon who used to stock it, are showing it as 'limited availability' at the moment, but PC World might have some lying around in the Sales...

Good luck,

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-November-2004, 06:30 PM
ok amend that to "all modern webcams are usb except for the firewire ones..and er...other types..such as ones with composite output" :)

a decent usb web cam can be had for £20+ - thats worth bearing in mind.

CJ
23rd-November-2004, 12:53 AM
Apple advice?!?

One a day, love... :grin:

Claire
1st-December-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks For The Advice!