PDA

View Full Version : Moving Abroad

Robin
19th-November-2004, 01:42 PM
As certain people are either moving overseas or contemplating it... bearing in mind that it can take 3 months for your stuff to catch up with you , what would you take in your luggage? I've set up a few things....

Aleks
19th-November-2004, 01:53 PM
When I moved up to Edinburgh 7 years ago I only brought one suitcase of stuff. Azande thought it was great until he realised that I really did have a reason to go shopping..... :wink:

drathzel
19th-November-2004, 01:55 PM
When i moved across from northern ireland i only had one (large) case with me.

Until my parents arrived a week later with a car full of stuff!!!! It was my shoes that took up most room! I couldn't move now. I have way too much stuff! :hug:

Gadget
19th-November-2004, 02:08 PM
Every time I move house, the ammount of stuff I have to move increases exponentially:
- Moved from home to digs at uni: a couple of rucksacks.
- Changed accommodation and had a car full.
- Moved out of there and had to put stuff in storage.
- Moved out of my last flat and took five trailers worth with estate cars packed to cieling.
- I aint moving again!...

Actually, when I go on holiday I take a fairly small backpack; if vanishing to another country I would have a little hesitation about leaving some of my artwork and drawing stuff, but that's all. {oh, and the kids :wink:}

philsmove
19th-November-2004, 02:17 PM
Simple rule

If you have not used it in the last year throw it away or put it on ebay

If you are off to NZ or Australia remember ever there winters are not as bad as our summers

You will probably spend more time outdoors so indoor furniture is not so important

My friends in Sydney do not even have an indoor dining table

Robin
19th-November-2004, 03:26 PM
Every time I move house, the ammount of stuff I have to move increases exponentially:
- Moved from home to digs at uni: a couple of rucksacks.
- Changed accommodation and had a car full.
- Moved out of there and had to put stuff in storage.
- Moved out of my last flat and took five trailers worth with estate cars packed to cieling.

:yeah:

Last time we moved we had a huge removals van, some of its still boxed in the loft ! ... and that was 4 years ago!

Lynn
19th-November-2004, 03:42 PM
I would probably take mostly clothes, shoes, a few books and personal items in my case, it would depend where I was going and what could be easily bought when I got there, it might be cheaper to buy some new things than ship the one you already have. But its good to have some familiar things around you as well.

I once went to West Africa for a 3 week visit, when I got there I decided to stay for 3 months instead. There is a difference in what you can do without for a few weeks but would like to have with you if you are away for 3 months! (Though my biggest regret was in telling everyone not to bother writing as the post was so slow and I thought I would only be there a few weeks, then going 3 months with no news from home, there were no telephone lines from where I was. :tears: )

baldrick
19th-November-2004, 08:30 PM
I arrived in Glasgow after a weekend mountaineering in north Wales, never went home again. Stuff traveled up over the next 5 or 6 years.
Now, I'm with the never moving again brigade. :wink:

Bangers & Mash
19th-November-2004, 09:02 PM
I arrived in New Zealand with just hand luggage.

baldrick
19th-November-2004, 11:25 PM
I arrived in New Zealand with just hand luggage.
They lost my luggage on the way back from Tazmania.

Lynn
20th-November-2004, 02:24 AM
I arrived in New Zealand with just hand luggage. Always good to pack essentials in the hand luggage in case this happens. On hols for me its sun cream, bikini, spare top and a wrap etc, on a dance weekender its the dance shoes! (Wouldn't be good to arrive without those).

A piece of a friend's luggage was delayed on a flight to England last year, he was travelling on to Europe, it was almost a week before his luggage caught up, near the end of his holiday. I checked the airline's website and found something about compensation for delayed luggage, told him and he wrote to them and got £60. (No-one at the airline at any point told him about this though!)

drathzel
20th-November-2004, 08:00 AM
I arrived in Glasgow after a weekend mountaineering in north Wales, never went home again. Stuff traveled up over the next 5 or 6 years.
Now, I'm with the never moving again brigade. :wink:

Very cool, nearly did that myself!!! Only i decided to go home and get a job from there!