PDA

View Full Version : Men's Styling

Dancing Teeth
16th-November-2004, 01:19 PM
Gents, one of the teachers at Camber, namely me, experimented with a new concept in the MJ world of men’s styling. Something long over due or I’m barking Mad ? :grin:

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 01:25 PM
Gents, one of the teachers at Camber, namely me, experimented with a new concept in the MJ world of men’s styling. Something long over due or I’m barking Mad ? :grin:
Oh no, was that a dance lesson?????

I thought it was where you could get a hair cut. :devil:

(Sorry to miss it dude, I bet it was fantastic. And long overdue, as you say. )

And a biiiiiiiiig welcome to the forum. You'll never get any work done now... :rofl:

Chris

Dancing Teeth
16th-November-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh no, was that a dance lesson?????

I thought it was where you could get a hair cut. :devil:

(Sorry to miss it dude, I bet it was fantastic. And long overdue, as you say. )

And a biiiiiiiiig welcome to the forum. You'll never get any work done now... :rofl:

Chris

Thanks for the well come Dude, and it's nice to have joined the community at last. You're right about the no work part.

On the Style part:
We could perhaps create a men's club were things such as Hair cuts, clothing and hygiene (a common complaint amongst lady dancers) can be discussed.
:cheers: Only kidding.... :grin:

SilverFox
16th-November-2004, 01:42 PM
Long overdue!

I thought it was a great idea Viktor. The only other time I've seen anyone attempting to style men was in a Ceroc Style Workshop by Richard Oliver. Though that mainly concentrated on some basic footwork and hips.

Though I was a little concerned to find myself in a room with a bunch of men that were more in need of a few lessons from Susannah and Trinny first. :blush: :wink:

The Kodak moment for me was after you'd demonstrated the twisting body roll. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: What was it like looking at a floor full of stunned mullets? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

IMHO there are certain things that us guys will never master, but it will certainly be worth a try .... or two ...or eighty three ... :confused:

Well I personally got a lot out of the workshop and it gave me a whole host of things to work on in the future. :clap: :cheers:

spindr
16th-November-2004, 01:46 PM

Hard to tell if you're barking from the short clip above?
What were you teaching as/about men's styling?

SpinDr.

CJ
16th-November-2004, 01:47 PM
On the Style part:
We could perhaps create a men's club were things such as Hair cuts, clothing and hygiene (a common complaint amongst lady dancers) can be discussed.
:cheers: Only kidding.... :grin:

Thank the stars for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Anyway: back, sack and crack anyone?!? :whistle:

Dan Hudson
16th-November-2004, 02:47 PM
It was a great concept and enjoyed the class... middle aged men doing a body ripple is quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen for ages.... hope thats on the video!! :worthy: :worthy: :really:

I have tried body rippling a look like an arse, so I will leave it to the experts.... :rofl: :what:

Possibly and idea for the future.... mens styling and womans styling for the same move, in different rooms, then joining together after say 45 mins and practising with a partner.... for me the hardest part was looking like a lemon doing the moves with no chick on my arm!!! :rofl: :sad:

Well done Viktor :cheers:

Divissima
16th-November-2004, 03:04 PM
At the risk of butting in, I would like to pick up on Dan's suggestion above. I've thought about women's styling workshops and how they might work - what do you do:

a) make it mixed - in which case why do men pay to come to a workshop which is for the ladies?

b) make it ladies only - in which case, how do the ladies practice the moves on the day (and presumably, in weeks to come their partners won't know when/how to let them incorporate the lovely new style bits they've acquired)?

c) make the men's styling and ladies' styling workshops run concurrently, teach separately, then bring together at the end?

Separate thread here, I think....

CJ
16th-November-2004, 03:13 PM
c) would make the most sense...

Start off together to "learn" the moves...

Seperate to work on style...

Come together to REALLY learn the moves, with all they entail.

Please note, this is my sensible contribution for November, and I can now look forward to being the normal CJ... :D

Divissima
16th-November-2004, 03:26 PM
I agree that 'c' would seem to make the most sense, although it entails having twice the number of teachers, and may as a result be harder to cover costs.

I have often found, as a woman, that the lady's styling points tend to get a bit lost in a workshop where men are also learning something new. The best way for me personally is for my styling to be the focus, but a bit dull for my partner. I suspect the same may be true for many men - ie they get more out of a styling workshop if that's all they have to concentrate on. I'd be interested to hear what others think....

SilverFox
16th-November-2004, 03:42 PM
There is another option too. Not really option (d), just an amendment to option (a).

In a ladies styling workshop for example, the girls could bring along a regular dance partner of theirs - kind enough to donate a few hours of his time - who would be admitted free of charge, purely to be used and abused and generally manhandled by the girls accordingly.

Naturally if any girls couldn't find a partner who'd be prepared to do this hardship, I would be available. :devil:

Lynn
16th-November-2004, 03:47 PM
c) make the men's styling and ladies' styling workshops run concurrently, teach separately, then bring together at the end? OK it was styling with some shines but I have been to a salsa workshop like this - the men were taken off to one end of the hall and the women to the other, each taught their bit, then brought together to be shown how to put the moves and styling into effect. It was a useful way of doing it, and one teacher went to each group, then came back together to demo the moves together.

Lory
16th-November-2004, 03:48 PM
Naturally if any girls couldn't find a partner who'd be prepared to do this hardship, I would be available. :devil:Deal! :cheers: :D :flower: :hug:

Divissima
16th-November-2004, 04:04 PM
Deal! :cheers: :D :flower: :hug:Forming an orderly queue here :devil: :whistle: :wink:

Dancing Teeth
16th-November-2004, 04:33 PM
There is another option too. Not really option (d), just an amendment to option (a).

In a ladies styling workshop for example, the girls could bring along a regular dance partner of theirs - kind enough to donate a few hours of his time - who would be admitted free of charge, purely to be used and abused and generally manhandled by the girls accordingly.

Naturally if any girls couldn't find a partner who'd be prepared to do this hardship, I would be available. :devil:

Can You Imagine the reverse.

I agree very much with SilverFox, but even in my wildest dreams, I didn't think we guys could get away with it.... Or could we...? anyway, I also thought it was easier for the guys to lower their guide without too many woman there. :waycool:

Dancing Teeth
16th-November-2004, 04:39 PM

Can I sign up to this too... I mean, as another male slave to be used and abused and generally manhandled by the girls accordingly. :grin:

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 05:46 PM
Can I sign up to this too... I mean, as another male slave to be used and abused and generally manhandled by the girls accordingly. :grin:

wehey! I'm first in Viktor's queue :yum:

Daisy Chain

Trish
16th-November-2004, 05:57 PM

I think this could have worked for the men's styling. A lot of girls would be pleased to support their male friends/partners in improving the look of their dancing, and be happy to give a bit of time to it - especially at Camber as it was only an hour or so, not a whole day workshop.

Dancing Teeth is probably right though, if they were doing body ripples, that's enough to make anyone self-conscious, let alone middle-aged men!

Two single sex styling classes coming together at the end would have been really good though! I'd have definitely gone to that. You should be able to do other ends of the room, with male/female teachers taking half each as Lynn suggested to cut down on the number of teachers/rooms needed - although I guess it would have been more difficult at Camber, due to the large numbers of people in the classes.