PDA

View Full Version : Half a Dance

Daisy Chain
15th-November-2004, 08:59 PM
What is the accepted etiquette when you ask someone for a dance half way through a track? Every time this has happened to me, this had always been followed by a mutual "shall we do the next track too? That was only half a dance"

I was deeply gutted last Saturday. Having dithered for half a record I finally plucked up the courage to ask a very stylish dancer for a dance and found that half a track was quite enough for him. At the end of the track, I got a polite "thank you" and that was that :sad: and he smelt so divine. Still, look on the bright side, he could have turned me down in the first place and I would never have had the chance to bury my nose in his fragrant shirt during the breaks. :drool:

Admittedly, I did muck up a couple of his moves but I didn't tread on any of his feet or slap him round the chops :eek:

A Half Cut Daisy

Lynn
15th-November-2004, 09:05 PM
I would prefer to stay up for a second track if I only got half a dance, unless I really wasn't dancing well with the guy (for whatever reason, usually because I'm not dancing well :blush: ). I have had the 'half a dance' and a polite thanks once or maybe twice - though I'm too usually too shy to ask the guys so that has been after the guy has asked me to dance. I would be interested to hear the men's perspective on this.

Sparkles
15th-November-2004, 09:09 PM
I think it's a shame he didn't ask you to continue for the next song too, especially as you seemed to obviously be enjoying it so much. :rolleyes:
I don't know whether it's a matter of etiquette that you should be asked for another dance though, as, if you look at the flip side, he may have felt shunned that it took you *that long* to decide whether you wanted to dance with him or not (I know I've read your explanation of the situation, but people aren't mind-readers and he might not have been aware of your shyness) so you might not have wanted a whole song to dance with him.
This is a tricky one. Any more thoughts anyone, I fear I'm not being overly helpful... :sick:
S. x

MartinHarper
15th-November-2004, 10:36 PM
At the end of the track, I got a polite "thank you" and that was that

It being the new millenium, perhaps you could have asked him if he wanted a second dance?

philsmove
15th-November-2004, 10:56 PM
This has happened to me, the other way round, she asked me half way though a track and then refused another

I then overhead her, complaining to her friend, very few men had asked her to dance. Now I wonder why?

Half a dance is not acceptable. The first time I dance with someone I always like two dances. Every one has a slightly different style. I like the first dance to get to know each other

Daisy Chain
15th-November-2004, 11:16 PM
It being the new millenium, perhaps you could have asked him if he wanted a second dance?

But I asked him for the first one. So the ball was in his court.

Daisy

Gojive
15th-November-2004, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, just where did this incident take place DC? :whistle: :whistle:

ps, I couldn't find a red-head for love nor money at Nantwich on Saturday night! - and I was led to believe there were quite a few there....... :wink:

mikrik
16th-November-2004, 12:17 AM
Hi , my first post here ...........
My own rules for this situation are regardless if it's Jive or any other form of dance , wait and see what the next track is . I'd rather dance with someone who had the guts to ask me to dance until they have had enough (which won't take long) .
Sometimes I'm dancing badly , sometimes the lady is dancing badly , sometimes you ar eboth dancing wel , but badly together ; but it's better to dance than not to dance and I'll always encourage ladies to ladies to ask by never refusing .
However if the next track is one you can't dance to or don't like ; then it's time to bow out politely or take a (quick) poll with your prospective partner .
How does that sound for common sense and good manners ?

Lynn
16th-November-2004, 12:30 AM
How does that sound for common sense and good manners ? Sounds like it makes sense...
Hi , my first post here ........... Welcome to the forum Mikrik! :hug:

MartinHarper
16th-November-2004, 12:43 AM
I asked him for the first one. So the ball was in his court.

Ok... I'm not clear how this prevented you from asking him for a second dance. Personally, I find that the most efficient way to get someone to dance with me is to ask them to dance. So, when I hear you expressing regret that this fragrant dancer didn't ask you for a second dance, that's my immediate thought as to a solution. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Anyway, you asked what you thought the accepted etiquette was... I can only speak from my own experiences of my local scene, but it's roughly:
1. Amongst genteel ladies, and chivalrous gentlemen, the gentleman always asks, both for the initial partial dance, and for the second dance, and the lady never asks and always accepts.
2. Amongst rash youth, the second dance after a partial dance is often tacitly assumed, but where it is not, either dancer might ask, and the other dancer accepts.

Lynn
16th-November-2004, 12:46 AM
1. Amongst genteel ladies, and chivalrous gentlemen, the gentleman always asks, both for the initial partial dance, and for the second dance, and the lady never asks and always accepts. I must be a genteel lady then! :rofl: And here's me thinking I was just shy :blush:

CJ
16th-November-2004, 01:05 AM
1. Amongst genteel ladies, ....

Try dancing in Glasgow, mate!! :wink:

MartinHarper
16th-November-2004, 01:34 AM
I must be a genteel lady then! :rofl: And here's me thinking I was just shy :blush:
I was initially going to say "old-fashioned", but I felt that was disrespectful, so I spent a while trying to think of a more polite alternative... I'm afraid "genteel" was the best I could come up with... :(

In Glasgow, do women ask the men to dance 50% of the time?

Gareth
16th-November-2004, 04:24 AM

Daisy,
Your right!! But at the end of the day it was his loss :hug:

I would have certainly asked you for a second dance :nice:

Gareth

jivecat
16th-November-2004, 10:11 AM

Daisy

Yes, it was, Daisy. After all, if you'd asked him for a second one, it might have been perceived as pestering the hapless hotshot in a remorseless kind of way. So as you'd only had half a dance it would have been common courtesy for HIM to have suggested carrying on.
I'm fine, usually, about asking for a first dance but I almost never ask for a second dance regardless of who initiated it, although sometimes I'm absolutely dying to. Unless it's a mate that I know well. It's like I don't feel entitled to an extra 3 minutes of someone's valuable time unless they expressly give permission.

Stuart M
16th-November-2004, 10:26 AM
Whether I accept the offer not is based on one overriding factor - how busy the dancefloor is. People elbowing their way onto a crowded dancefloor half way through a track is a pet hate of mine :mad: , so it'd be hypocritical of me to start doing it!

In such a case though I will promise to dance the next track with the lady in question.

If the floor wasn't busy, and we did get up for half the dance, then we'll usually stay up for the next full track.

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 10:55 AM
I almost never ask for a second dance regardless of who initiated it, although sometimes I'm absolutely dying to.
If you want to dance with someone again, ask them. That's all. Just do it. It's Ok to ask for a second dance, and it's Ok to decline, IMHO.

It's like I don't feel entitled to an extra 3 minutes of someone's valuable time unless they expressly give permission.
Ah. None of this is about entitlement. It's about time shared, freely requested, freely given and freely received. :hug: Or that's how it should be, IMHO.

I don't want anyone to dance with me if they don't want to, for any reason. So I'll ask, but in such a way as to make it easy for them to decline a second one.

Yes, it was, Daisy. After all, if you'd asked him for a second one, it might have been perceived as pestering the hapless hotshot in a remorseless kind of way. So as you'd only had half a dance it would have been common courtesy for HIM to have suggested carrying on.

I'm a little concerned about the sentiment I'm picking up here...

It used to be that only if you turned someone down with a "look them up and down and sneer" that you got classed as a hotshot. Then you classed as a hotshot if you just wanted to dance with your friends. And now it seems you qualify for the label if you get asked for a dance half way through and then fail to ask back for the next one. :tears:

I don't think this is fair - there are lots of reasons why someone might not want a second dance, even if the first one wasn't a whole one. If I ask someone to dance half way through a track, I may well ask for a second one. And if my offer is accepted then I'm delighted.

Chris

Lou
16th-November-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm a little concerned about the sentiment I'm picking up here...

It used to be that only if you turned someone down with a "look them up and down and sneer" that you got classed as a hotshot. Then you classed as a hotshot if you just wanted to dance with your friends. And now it seems you qualify for the label if you get asked for a dance half way through and then fail to ask back for the next one. :tears:
I'm feeling really guilty here. :sad:

I turned down Philsmove for a second dance on Saturday. In my defence, we'd had one very good and fun dance, it was late in the evening of a very long day, and I had a chance of one dance with DavidB who is hardly ever in town. I hope that was OK, mate? :hug: :flower: :wink:

Lynn
16th-November-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm feeling really guilty here. :sad: I don't think you need to feel guilty.

The 'do we have a second dance' is a separate issue from the 'do we have a second dance when we have only had half or less of the first dance'. IMO there is no obligation or expectation of a second dance - it depends on lots of factors, and I count it as a bonus (if asked for a second dance I know I can't have made too much of a mess of the first one!). But if you have had only half a dance - then I think that's when its particularly nice to have the 'second dance'.

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 01:04 PM

Ok, I'll spell it out a bit more clearly... :flower:

There are lots of reasons I might (and sometimes do) turn someone down for a second dance.

A non-exhaustive list is:

1. I'm tired
2. I'm thirsty
3. I don't like the track
4. I want to talk to my friends
5. I want to dance with one of my friends
6. There's someone else I've promised to dance with
7. I'm now in pain
8. I didn't like the first one
9. I did like the first one, but I want to quit while I'm ahead

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons.

Sometimes people turn me down for a second dance. My natural inclination is to assume it's for reason 8, but now I know that it probably isn't, and that even if it is, it isn't because I'm a bad person, or even a bad dancer.

Don't feel guilty. It isn't necessary. No one has any entitlement to anything except politeness and consideration, and if you want to dance with someone else, especially if it's a chance that doesn't come up all that often, then that's absolutely fine IMHO, and no one should feel hard done by if you do. :flower:

Chris

Graham
16th-November-2004, 01:35 PM
If you ask someone halfway through a dance thinking you'll get the next one as well then you need to ask, as far as I'm concerned. If someone asks me quite near the end of the track then I'll probably ask if they want to stay up, but if it's say a 4-minute track and we danced 2 minutes then I might not even remember that we missed the beginning (at least, I won't remember in time to ask them right away, by which time the moment is lost).

latinlover
16th-November-2004, 02:07 PM
I am guilty :whistle: (I don't think it was me was it ,daisy?)

......of only doing half dances now and then and almost never asking for a follow-on second dance .

my reason is that as I almost always dance all my favourite tunes with my wife, then that narrows down my opportunities to dance with all the other brilliant ladies during the evening to sometimes 50%(on a good night)
so ,by my reasoning, half a dance with them is better than no dance at all, and two dances would be plain greedy and might mean I miss out on dancing with someone else . :flower:
this is intended to be complimentary to ladies but it's coming out a bit conceited :tears:

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 02:16 PM
I would prefer to stay up for a second track if I only got half a dance, unless I really wasn't dancing well with the guy (for whatever reason, usually because I'm not dancing well :blush: ). I have had the 'half a dance' and a polite thanks once or maybe twice - though I'm too usually too shy to ask the guys so that has been after the guy has asked me to dance. I would be interested to hear the men's perspective on this.

I'm in the same boat as you although i hear drathzel shy...hahaha but on the dance floor i am because i am only just learning, i dont like to ask experience dancers, unless i know them or have danced with them more that a few times before (and they seemed to enjoy themselves)! However on the same thread i have been asked for a second dance before and i have been stuck as how to reply, especially the first few times it happened! What so you say, err yes? thats sounds really enthusiastic though doesn't it! However a wow yeah cool woo hoo, sounds a bit kinda sad and actually too enthusiastic!

I now just say, ok cool! and dance away! But asking for a second dance is still a no no, no matter what the situation!

:hug:

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 02:25 PM
Try dancing in Glasgow, mate!! :wink:

Hey!!!!!! i resent that! :angry:

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 02:27 PM
In Glasgow, do women ask the men to dance 50% of the time?

I always ask for dances, if this wasn't the case i would end up sitting out because there are loads of women in the Glasgow Dance scene! This is also why i dont ask for another dance as there are too many women to steel the man you are with for two dances!!! However if they want to dance with me twice then i can hardly refuse! :D

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]I don't think you need to feel guilty.

The 'do we have a second dance' is a separate issue from the 'do we have a second dance when we have only had half or less of the first dance'. /QUOTE]

I think the threads about the above not the rights and wrongs of the '2nd dance'

Ive sometimes have been guilty of dancing half a dance and left it at that.

However this is rare and I would never turn down the request of another unless my personal saftey was in danger.

Trish
16th-November-2004, 02:28 PM
I agree with everything Chris A has said about this. If you want another dance just ask! If I've had a half a dance with someone - or a lovely dance with someone, I will often ask. I'll usually flirt a bit and say, "please can we carry on as that was only half a dance", or "that was great, I really enjoyed it, can I have another dance". Sometimes I'm turned down, but I try not to take it personally. I like to think the guy has some excuse, and occasionally you just don't dance well with someone, so you put it down to experience. I have been guilty the other way though - a guy has asked me to dance halfway and I've thanked him politely/turned him down for another dance. Chris's list above is an accurate list of reasons for this. Sometimes its because the guy has yanked me about or I don't like the next song, but mostly it's because there are loads of other lovely people to dance with, and I don't want to miss out!

CJ
16th-November-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey!!!!!! i resent that! :angry:

If I HAD to dance in Glasgow, I'd resent it too!! :wink:

Anyway, the point I was going to make is that if you are a lowly, humble DJ (like, say ME, for example) doing your job PROPERLY, then the best you can offer is a half-three quarters dance anyway... :tears: :tears:

nb if you use a laptop, the trick right now is NOT to get over sensitive and take this post as a huge personal slur!!

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 02:35 PM
If I HAD to dance in Glasgow, I'd resent it too!! :wink:

Anyway, the point I was going to make is that if you are a lowly, humble DJ (like, say ME, for example) doing your job PROPERLY, then the best you can offer is a half-three quarters dance anyway... :tears: :tears:

nb if you use a laptop, the trick right now is NOT to get over sensitive and take this post as a huge personal slur!!

I love dancing in Glasgow. The monthly party last weekend was excellent! :clap:

Lowly, humble? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Graham
16th-November-2004, 02:46 PM
I love dancing in Glasgow. The monthly party last weekend was excellent! :clap:

Lowly, humble? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:yeah: The DJing was of a very high standard, I must admit. :devil:

jivecat
16th-November-2004, 02:54 PM
I always ask for dances, if this wasn't the case i would end up sitting out because there are loads of women in the Glasgow Dance scene! This is also why i dont ask for another dance as there are too many women to steel the man you are with for two dances!!! However if they want to dance with me twice then i can hardly refuse! :D

Well said, Drathzel.

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 02:58 PM

wasn't it just! :worthy:

CJ
16th-November-2004, 03:02 PM

:yeah: About bloody time you got some quality DJing in Glasgow... :rolleyes:

Normal service has been resumed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waycool:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Geordieed
16th-November-2004, 03:03 PM
I remember one of the first things I was taught when I started Ceroc was that whether from the lady or the man then the invitation of a dance should rarely be turned down. Most rules have exceptions that are personal to each individual. One thing that I remember to do from time to time (and is what I really mean) is say that I would like to have a dance as soon as I have finished doing what is making me unable to dance there and then eg. I need to cool down or I need to speak with someone.

Of course you could try asking this guy in the future to have a dance. I am sure he would accept. Of course just go up to him and remind him that he owes you a dance as the last time you both danced it was just for half a dance.

It would work for me. :hug:

jivecat
16th-November-2004, 03:08 PM
Sometimes I'm turned down, but I try not to take it personally. I like to think the guy has some excuse, and occasionally you just don't dance well with someone, so you put it down to experience.

The trouble is, I do tend to take it personally, though I've got much, much tougher since I first started learning. Camber reminded me what scary places dancehalls can be, something I'd forgotten in the cosy comfort of familiar venues. That's why I like it so much if I'm asked for a second dance- it's an affirmation that I must have danced OK the first time -and why it feels so risky to ask for a second one myself. And why I almost never turn down a request for a first dance or a continuation dance. I suppose if I wanted to turn someone down it would probably be a personal thing i.e. there was something about them that I didn't like - if I'm having a really good time I barely notice things like thirst, tiredness or even pain!

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 03:38 PM
Of course you could try asking this guy in the future to have a dance. I am sure he would accept. Of course just go up to him and remind him that he owes you a dance as the last time you both danced it was just for half a dance.

It would work for me. :hug:

:yeah: I agree. If someone came up to me and said that i would be so taken a back that i would def dance!!! :hug:

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 04:02 PM
That's why I like it so much if I'm asked for a second dance- it's an affirmation that I must have danced OK the first time
Well I'll ask for a second dance if I've completely messed up the first one. A couple of times recently I'd danced with someone fab, led atrociously, did nothing with the best breaks, failed miserably to give her space, somehow it just didn't work.

So I asked for a second one as an opportunity to redeem myself. And it was miles better - sometimes it can take a little time to settle down, for whatever reason.

We're all learning in this game. It's rarely perfect, we're all seeking that elusive something, and it's wonderful when we find it, and miserable when we don't.

So cut yourself a little slack. Ask for another. Enjoy it if you get it, and dance with someone else if you don't. :flower:

Chris

Geordieed
16th-November-2004, 04:14 PM
Another form of asking for a second dance is going back later in the evening and dancing with him or her again. This can be even better than asking for a second dance immediately. It can be difficult at very busy venues to get to dance with everyone you would like to though.

Trousers
16th-November-2004, 04:55 PM
In the 'would you like to dance' for half a track scenario I normally end up saying NO.

Harsh though this sounds it has sense written all over it,

Dance floor will be full already,
the track length will not allow you to express yaself to the full and as its half way through may have missed some of the best bits already,
she may be a stunner and the no to the next track just aint gonna be acceptable,

Its really the dance floor being full that kills me there.
Why in heavens name am I going to join in a dance half way through and have to fight for dance space.

So i just say 'no.......but I'd love the next track'
Which seems to work pretty well.

And i can try and stamp a claim on a little piece of floor for a few seconds before some clodhopper comes along and throws his partner into my space but at least i started off in comfort.

Ooooh i can feel a thread starting

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, just where did this incident take place DC? :whistle: :whistle:

ps, I couldn't find a red-head for love nor money at Nantwich on Saturday night! - and I was led to believe there were quite a few there....... :wink:

:rofl: And I spent all night trying to find a strange man who talks like what I do.

Daisy

(A Southern Flower)

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Gojive]Hmmm, just where did this incident take place DC? :whistle: :whistle:

Was it you? *SLAP*

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 05:31 PM
Ok... Personally, I find that the most efficient way to get someone to dance with me is to ask them to dance. So, when I hear you expressing regret that this fragrant dancer didn't ask you for a second dance, that's my immediate thought as to a solution. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Well, since I'd asked him for the first dance, I felt it polite to offer him an escape route :mad: didn't expect him to take it though :tears: One feels that one didn't ought to monopolise the really good men. Anyway, *sniff* he didn't have power steering...

Daisy

(A Rejected Little Flower)

Trish
16th-November-2004, 05:43 PM
The trouble is, I do tend to take it personally, though I've got much, much tougher since I first started learning. Camber reminded me what scary places dancehalls can be, something I'd forgotten in the cosy comfort of familiar venues. That's why I like it so much if I'm asked for a second dance- it's an affirmation that I must have danced OK the first time -and why it feels so risky to ask for a second one myself. And why I almost never turn down a request for a first dance or a continuation dance. I suppose if I wanted to turn someone down it would probably be a personal thing i.e. there was something about them that I didn't like - if I'm having a really good time I barely notice things like thirst, tiredness or even pain!

Well having danced with you at Camber and thoroughly enjoyed it I don't know what you're worrying about! And I asked you for a second dance (admittedly a day later). The only thing you need to do is have some confidence in your own abilities - you looked scared stiff half the time :) ! Anyway, if you like the dancer, it's worth the risk isn't it? Everyone takes a bit of time to get used to dancing with someone new, and you're bound to be better on a second dance, so you might as well go for it. Be selfish and say to yourself, well I enjoyed dancing with that guy/girl and I didn't completely screw it up, so I'll probably enjoy dancing with them again again, even if they're not quite as happy as I am. And smile!!!! Switch off the negative thoughts, think positive, and be bold!

Zebra Woman
16th-November-2004, 06:09 PM
We're all learning in this game. It's rarely perfect, we're all seeking that elusive something, and it's wonderful when we find it, and miserable when we don't.

:yeah: Very deep, and true for me..

I do feel bad about having only half a dance so I would ask for another dance either straight after or later on. Unless they were a hotshot, in that case I would be grateful for the small crumb that was offered. :rofl: To me, giving someone only half a dance is almost the same as declining a dance.

Of Course if they were pervy or smelly or they yanked my arm I would just cut and run :blush: .

ZW

philsmove
16th-November-2004, 07:13 PM

I turned down Philsmove for a second dance on Saturday. In my defence, we'd had one very good and fun dance, it was late in the evening of a very long day, and I had a chance of one dance with DavidB who is hardly ever in town. I hope that was OK, mate? :hug: :flower: :wink:

NO problems at all :wink: I t was indeed late and having danced Friday and most of Saturday, my dancing was not at its best :blush:

But Next time we can try the donut :clap:

:hug: :flower: :hug:

drathzel
16th-November-2004, 07:15 PM
:yeah: Very deep, and true for me..

I do feel bad about having only half a dance so I would ask for another dance either straight after or later on. Unless they were a hotshot, in that case I would be grateful for the small crumb that was offered. :rofl: To me, giving someone only half a dance is almost the same as declining a dance.

Of Course if they were pervy or smelly or they yanked my arm I would just cut and run :blush: .

ZW

This is a fair comment and i would say thats if i felt uncomfortable then i would probably decline a second dance!

Also while we are on the subject. I hate people who try and steal my partner. i e we have decided that we will dance together and another person comes up and tries to persuade them off you! You find yourself defending yourself for asking this person to dance first! I think it is very bad ettiquette! saying this i have tried to steal someones dance but by complete accident and i apologised perfusely!!!
:hug:

Gojive
16th-November-2004, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=Gojive]Hmmm, just where did this incident take place DC? :whistle: :whistle:

Was it you? *SLAP*

LOL! No, it wasn't me DC. I did spend a lot of time looking for/getting Alex to look out for you though, but all to no avail. AFAIK, we never got a dance?....I was wearing a white shirt, dark trousers, and spent a lot of time in the relatively spacious corner to the far left of the stage. :)

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 11:16 PM
LOL! No, it wasn't me DC. I did spend a lot of time looking for/getting Alex to look out for you though, but all to no avail. AFAIK, we never got a dance?....I was wearing a white shirt, dark trousers, and spent a lot of time in the relatively spacious corner to the far left of the stage. :)

Aha! Now I know who you are. You were on my list of strange men to grab but I never had the opportunity :tears:

Obviously, I need to get a much larger red wig for next time :wink: then you might notice ME.

Daisy

A Red Little Flower

Gojive
16th-November-2004, 11:25 PM
Aha! Now I know who you are.

Oh b*gger! - was I that obvious? :blush:

You were on my list of strange men to grab

I think that answered my question!. I can't help being strange though :tears: :wink:

Obviously, I need to get a much larger red wig for next time :wink: then you might notice ME.

....or you could just grab me and say "oi fellow soft southern shandie drinker, get your harris on the floor and give me a spin guv!" :waycool:

Next time DC, next time....... :hug:

Daisy Chain
16th-November-2004, 11:30 PM
....or you could just grab me and say "oi fellow soft southern shandie drinker, get your harris on the floor and give me a spin guv!" :waycool:

Not sure I can talk like that. But if it makes you happy........... :innocent:

Daisy

(A Posh Little Flower)

philsmove
17th-November-2004, 12:01 AM
You were on my list of strange men to grab
Daisy

A Red Little Flower

Following comments from ladies who have dance with certain M in Bristol may be we need a DWASM (Dance with a strange man completion)

DavidY
17th-November-2004, 12:31 AM
There are lots of reasons .. ~snip~ ...A non-exhaustive list is:

1. I'm tired
2. I'm thirsty
3. I don't like the track
4. I want to talk to my friends
5. I want to dance with one of my friends
6. There's someone else I've promised to dance with
7. I'm now in pain
8. I didn't like the first one
9. I did like the first one, but I want to quit while I'm ahead

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons. :yeah:
I'm afraid I'm probably guilty here too (and I danced with Daisy Chain on Saturday night :eek: :blush: ).

I usually dance only one record with someone - and the "quit while ahead" factor definitely applies. I always have this fear that if I dance with the same person for too long I'll get found out as someone who can never remember many non-beginner moves.

I don't usually keep a count of how much of a track I danced (and some tracks are much longer than others) so I probably am guilty of dancing half-dances. :blush:

But I will quite often find someone for another dance later on if I enjoyed the first one..

bigdjiver
17th-November-2004, 12:32 AM
:tears: :confused: It said "Dance technical discussions on the door", didn't it?

I often find myself in a half dance situation. I use it to invite ladies to dance who I think may be serial "yessers", and my not be that keen. Comes the end of the track I can ask "do you fancy this track?", which gives them the opportunity to say "Not really", and escape with no fear of hurting my feelings. I then head for the other end of the room so that I will not be able to see them grabbing someone else for it.

latinlover
17th-November-2004, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=DavidY]:I usually dance only one record with someone - and the "quit while ahead" factor definitely applies. I always have this fear that if I dance with the same person for too long I'll get found out as someone who can never remember many (non-beginner) moves.QUOTE]

:yeah:

and that's another reason for me :blush:

drathzel
17th-November-2004, 09:49 AM
Well I have to say last night CJ played Parsadise by dashboard light (thankyou thankyou thankyou!) And Rufftimes(aaron) Danced the whole 71/2 minutes! I couldn't complain or ask for another!!!! :hug:

CJ
17th-November-2004, 10:07 AM
Well I have to say last night CJ played Parsadise by dashboard light (thankyou thankyou thankyou!) And Rufftimes(aaron) Danced the whole 71/2 minutes! I couldn't complain or ask for another!!!! :hug:

8:39 :wink:

Lou
17th-November-2004, 10:21 AM
But Next time we can try the donut :clap:
OK! :grin:

.......but only if you agree to dress up in Lily's rather fetching pink all-in-one outfit she was wearing. :wink: I promise I'll catch you!

drathzel
17th-November-2004, 10:46 AM
8:39 :wink:

i sit corrected! :waycool:

jivecat
17th-November-2004, 10:57 AM
- you looked scared stiff half the time :)

I am scared stiff at least a quarter of the time! But I used to be scared stiff all the time so there's been a big improvement! I really enjoyed dancing with you so I wasn't aware that I wasn't smiling. I'll work on it. :flower:

jivecat
17th-November-2004, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Zebra Woman To me, giving someone only half a dance is almost the same as declining a dance.
ZW[/QUOTE]

:yeah: Damning with faint praise.

Trish
17th-November-2004, 12:37 PM
I am scared stiff at least a quarter of the time! But I used to be scared stiff all the time so there's been a big improvement! I really enjoyed dancing with you so I wasn't aware that I wasn't smiling. I'll work on it. :flower:

Yes thinking about it, you smiled the other half of the time, and I didn't go away with the impression that you hated dancing with me! Glad you enjoyed it, I did too! :)

Sheepman
17th-November-2004, 01:52 PM
Camber reminded me what scary places dancehalls can be, something I'd forgotten in the cosy comfort of familiar venues. That's why I like it so much if I'm asked for a second dance- it's an affirmation that I must have danced OK the first time Well I'm glad I asked you for that second one on Sunday then, because your dancing was definitely much better than "OK".

It is very rare that I will only have just that half a track with someone, but if I get 2 refusals in a row for one of my favourite tracks, (which happened last night, both of them were for good reasons though), then by the time the chat is finished, there is only half the track left.
On Sunday at Camber I was searching the hall for someone I knew while a great track was playing, I gave up about half way through, then spotted this lady boogieing in her chair and singing along, I had to dance with someone that was already that enthusiastic, so we finished the track off, and I moved on. If she had asked for a second dance, I would have carried on, but to be blunt, I hadn't enjoyed the dance enough for me to ask her again. That was pretty unusual, and it's likely it was my fault as much as hers.
It is more likely to be one of the other reasons why I don't carry on, and the most likely being that I've promised the next dance to someone else, it doesn't matter how much I've enjoyed our dance, if I've given my word, then I must try and track that other person down. Another reason for not carrying on might be if I spot a rare opportunity to dance with one of my favourite partners, or someone who has travelled a long way to be at that venue.
I'm not sure the "needing a drink or a rest" really works when you've only just had half a dance, because you had the first half of the track in which to do both of those.

Greg

Daisy Chain
17th-November-2004, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=DavidY...and I danced with Daisy Chain on Saturday night :eek: :blush: ).

[/QUOTE]

:eek: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!