PDA

View Full Version : When is styling not styling?

MartinHarper
13th-November-2004, 01:45 AM
How can I tell the difference between styling that fits into what I'm already leading, and styling that is requesting (demanding?) some extra beats play time. I often find myself mistaking the former for the latter, resulting in an awkward pause, and the latter for the former, resulting in an annoyed partner.
The frustrating thing is that I can tell the difference with some of the ladies some of the time, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how I do it, and I can't quite make it reliable. Any thoughts?

Gadget
14th-November-2004, 09:54 PM
How can I tell the difference between styling that fits into what I'm already leading, and styling that is requesting (demanding?) some extra beats play time. I often find myself mistaking the former for the latter, resulting in an awkward pause, and the latter for the former, resulting in an annoyed partner.
The frustrating thing is that I can tell the difference with some of the ladies some of the time, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how I do it, and I can't quite make it reliable. Any thoughts?
Thoughts...
The lady is dancing with you, following your lead; if you are looking to them for "here! let me shake my thang now!", then it will distract you from leding well and you will be going "here?" all the time. You will have surrendered the controll of the dance to the lady.

If the lady interupts your lead with an improvisation or two; then that's fine - but it's up to them to catch your attention, not up to you to look out for it. Be aware that it may happen, but not anticipate it.

If you want to give the lady a little bit of space to perform in, then slow down on the approach - don't just stop dead and say "right; your turn." You are leading - if they look confused or don't take up the opportunity, then just go into a little free-improvisation of your own and carry on; all part of the plan - honet guv :wink: