PDA

View Full Version : How long until you enter comps

Cornish Pixie
11th-November-2004, 03:30 PM
Just wondering how long the men were jiving for until they enter competitions and what is a good first time competition.

RobC
11th-November-2004, 04:07 PM
Just wondering how long the men were jiving for until they enter competitions and what is a good first time competition.
That's going to be a completely individual thing - depend on how quickly you learn, how good your partner is, whether you need lots of confidense to perform infront of a crowd or are a natural performer, ...... the list goes on. Personally, I had done over 4 years of competitive Ballroom dancing before even starting any Jive, so I entered the first Jive comp that came along.

As for a good first time competition, Blackpool is fabulous but the sheer size can be overwhelming for the new competitor, so I would suggest one of the smaller ones such as Bristol or Brighton (or Scotland ? Never been, so can't comment).
I'm not going to comment on the Ceroc comp, as my feelings on that subject are too well known on this forum. :innocent:

Minnie M
11th-November-2004, 04:24 PM

IMHO if you are asking you are not ready :flower:

Andy McGregor
11th-November-2004, 04:30 PM

I entered my first competition when I'd been dancing 7 months. I was complete rubbish, went out in the first round of the intermediate and the DWAS and had a fabulous day :clap:

I say enter the intermediate and enter the DWAS if you can dance a bit. Don't expect to come anywhere, just join in and have a fab time - in fact, that's pretty much what I do nowadays. Sometimes I get a medal, sometimes I don't - and loads of times I've come 4th :tears:

Nick M
11th-November-2004, 04:56 PM
A good first-time competition for you might be the LeRoc South West Challenge, held in Bristol in July. It's quite low-pressure, with only a dozen or so competing, and is held in the middle of a normal dance night.

I had been dancing for 18 months when I entered this one, and it took another 2 years before I got through to the finals

ChrisA
11th-November-2004, 07:18 PM
Can't agree with this, I'm afaid :hug: :flower:

I was asking, this time last year. People had been encouraging me, but I was very hesitant. I was ready to enter, just not ready to win, not that I am now. But having done five competitions this year I've got a huge amount out of the whole deal, and I regret none of it.

As Rob says, it's very much down to the individual - but it also depends what you want to get out of it. If you want to win, it's very unlikely you will, on your first attempt... but if you want to learn lots and have a tiring but fun time, then you almost certainly will, and it will make you better for the next comp.

Even practising for a few sessions with a regular partner, possibly even with a video camera, you'll start to find things you can improve, go back over and work on, without having to wait until another appropriate partner or track comes along. And the improvement that comes from practising for a comp will also improve your social dancing.

So I'd say, if the idea appeals, go for it. It doesn't matter if you go out in the first round, you'll have had a fun time and learned loads.

Chris

Dreadful Scathe
12th-November-2004, 10:41 AM
Can't agree with this, I'm afaid :hug: :flower:

I'd agree with Chris not agreeing :) I think you sound unsure so best thing is to enter an intermediate competition as a taster and see how you feel after. You may discover you need more practice or you may hate it but it will be different for everyone. I'm certainly not a natural performer so its taken me lots of dancing in competitions to get better at er...dancing in competitions. Strangely I have no problem dressing as a woman - maybe its the disguise that gives me more confidence :).

Cornish Pixie
12th-November-2004, 02:49 PM

I know i asked for an opinion but how do you konw if you have never seen me dance? :eek:

ElaineB
12th-November-2004, 03:02 PM
I'd agree with Chris not agreeing :) I think you sound unsure so best thing is to enter an intermediate competition as a taster and see how you feel after. You may discover you need more practice or you may hate it but it will be different for everyone. I'm certainly not a natural performer so its taken me lots of dancing in competitions to get better at er...dancing in competitions. Strangely I have no problem dressing as a woman - maybe its the disguise that gives me more confidence :).

And very nice legs, but I think your razor was blunt! :rofl:

Elaine

TheTramp
12th-November-2004, 03:17 PM
Entered the intermediate at the Ceroc Champs in London after 1 year of dancing, and the advanced the following year. Back then, there was only that competition running. Bit more choice now...

Trampy

Gadget
12th-November-2004, 03:17 PM
IMHO if you are asking you are not ready
I know i asked for an opinion but how do you konw if you have never seen me dance? :eek:
Ahhh young glasshoppa, you need to watch more kung-fu movies:
"master, how will I know when I am ready?"
"you will know"
"but master, how will I know?"
"If you have to ask the question, then you are not ready to recieve the answer."
:rofl:

Cornish Pixie
12th-November-2004, 03:29 PM
Ahhh young glasshoppa, you need to watch more kung-fu movies:
"master, how will I know when I am ready?"
"you will know"
"but master, how will I know?"
"If you have to ask the question, then you are not ready to recieve the answer."
:rofl:

Great answer. :cheers:

Jive Brummie
12th-November-2004, 07:13 PM

See, I think if you're at the stage where you are asking, then it's obviously playing on your mind that you are good enough to go for it?

So, enough of the umming and arr-ing boy, get your darn ass on the floor and strut your stuff.....

Ave-It!! (I have no idea what this means but it seems common amongst the young thrusters of today)

Oh yeah, and enjoy it.

JB :cheers: :wink:

philsmove
12th-November-2004, 08:02 PM
A good first-time competition for you might be the LeRoc South West Challenge, held in Bristol in July. It's quite low-pressure, with only a dozen or so competing, and is held in the middle of a normal dance night.

Another Bristol completion specifically run for intermediates is "Best in the West"
Fairly low key and great night out even you are not placed

Go for it Young man, we all look forward to meeting you :cool:

ElaineB
13th-November-2004, 12:12 AM
Another Bristol completion specifically run for intermediates is "Best in the West"
Fairly low key and great night out even you are not placed

Go for it Young man, we all look forward to meeting you :cool:

Oy! I competes in Advanced now you know! :rofl:

Elaine - follower of fantastic advanced leader and winner of South West Challange 2004 (first won by some guy called Nigel!) and winner of the Best in the West 2004!

I thank you :rofl:

Elaine

Daisy
13th-November-2004, 02:29 AM
We (Ray & I) were entered for the Ceroc Champs back in 2000 after dancing for only 3 months. We entered the beginners (now non-existant, which is a shame) and we WON.

From then on we were bitten by the competition bug....I guess we are born performers......either that or mad (soooo much stress). Anyway, here we are nearly 5years later and were still at it.

It's a tough business and we have been lucky, although we have worked hard for success too. Your chances of getting placed, let alone winning are not good at first but aim high all the same......no point in doing it otherwise.

Watching competition videos will give you lots of ideas about whats involved.

Good luck :flower:

Jane

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2004, 02:46 AM

But we have seen other people dancing in competitions. If you can stay on the beat for a whole track you have a good chance of getting through the first round of the intermediate :wink:

Lynn
13th-November-2004, 06:29 PM
If you can stay on the beat for a whole track you have a good chance of getting through the first round of the intermediate :wink: :yeah: Even I managed it! (I had a fab partner though :wink: )

Andy McGregor
15th-November-2004, 05:22 AM
:yeah: Even I managed it! (I had a fab partner though :wink: )

Lynn was fabulous in the second round of the intemediate, Lynn danced so well I'm surprised we didn't get through to the next round as well :waycool:

We'll, hopefully, do much better next year :wink:

philsmove
15th-November-2004, 12:12 PM
Oy! I competes in Advanced now you know!

Elaine - follower of fantastic advanced leader and winner of South West Challange 2004 (first won by some guy called Nigel!) and winner of the Best in the West 2004!

I thank you

Oops

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

But, thewurlitzerrocks, don’t let the fact you are competing with Simon and Elaine put you off entering a completion

Jive Brummie
27th-November-2004, 04:15 PM
Come on then thewurlitzerrocks, have you decided to enter a competition yet? And if so, which one?

Blackpool is only round the corner you know... :wink: And what a fantastic competition it would be for a first-timer...

JB x x

Will
29th-November-2004, 02:02 AM
Get stuck is my advice. Experience of dancing infront of people is invaluable, so don't bother waiting until you think you're good enough. It's all about having fun anyway. In my opinion the best comp to enter if you're a first timer is Ceroc. The reason is that is has more rounds than the others in the intermediate section, so you're less likely to get knocked out in the first round than in the others. Which ever you do, enjoy it.

skippy
29th-November-2004, 11:57 AM
I took part in the Scotish Champs two years ago with a guy how had been dancing on and off for only a year. We were very good friends and had a really fun time. :clap:
We, to our surprise, came second. :grin: Everyone was so sweet and said that we were a reaaly good advert for Ceroc because it looked as if we wanted to be there and was enjoying the whole event.
Last I danced man with another very good friend and we got through to the second round.
So the answer to your question : if you enjoy yourself Go For It!!!!

I can recommend the Scottish Champs as it has an amazing atmosphere.

jockey
30th-November-2004, 01:37 AM
In my case, 3 years. I've competed at intermediate level at Blackpool, Bristol, Hammersmith and Brighton. Brighton and Bristol (now a venue nearby) are smaller and less daunting. I tend to omit Hammersmith Ceroc champs now for reasons I prefer to keep to myself. Blackpool is terrific and is a fabulous show as well as a great venue (Winter Gardens) and there is a supplementary social dance on Sunday afternoon in the Tower Ballroom (see Strictly Come Dancing). Its a good idea to enter the DWAS (dance with a stranger) comp the first year you go to wet your feet.

I would approach experienced competitors that you know to take a look at the two of you to ask if you should enter. The criterion shouldn't be 'can I win?' - rather, 'will I look out of my depth?' If they say (and they will know in 2 minutes) yes then go for it.

There is another way: Beach Boogie (heard of it?) on the IOW has two very relaxed comps(aerials and Blues) and is a highly recommended dance holiday (unless you insist on 5 star comfort).

Competitions are a bit of a circus and you can make some good friends there. We all know each other (bit like this forum but with visuals) and there's loads to talk about (bit like this forum but with verbals). The experience will improve your dancing and the disappointment of (inevitably) losing is something you will have to cope with.

Two tips: get matching costumes and a video camera. See you next year then.... :nice: