PDA

View Full Version : Joining the forum/The Water thing

stewart38
11th-November-2004, 01:54 PM
I find it odd that many people at ceroc know about this forum but dont want to join but then ask me, has this come up or can you find out about this etc

This women said the following (she knows Ive posted it) and I haven't altered it in anyway (I dont drink water) and I thought it was a very useful observation.

However Ive told her she should join, what is said below is cleary an 'issue' for her so why dont people like that raise at venue on here etc I would tellthe event organiser . :sick: .........
.................................................. .................................................. .

"What really annoyed me though was catching some disgusting sweaty smelly man drinking from my water bottle – I pointed out to him that it was mine and he didn’t even pretend it was a mistake, just said something like he was really thirsty – I was so annoyed!! God only knows what sort of germs I might have got from drinking from the same bottle as him, he really did stink.

Does this ever come up on your forum? 3 times in the last month I’ve realised other people have been drinking my water. I used to think it was by mistake but now I don’t think so, as I’ve started putting all sorts of markers on my bottles so no-one can confuse them with another. Seeing as you can pay £1.50 for a bottle of water, why do people take it when they wouldn’t steal someone’s beer, juice, coke etc?

Anyway, I’ll come down off the ceiling in a minute. In future I’ll keep my water in my bag."

The end :sad:

philsmove
11th-November-2004, 02:28 PM
when they wouldn’t steal someone’s beer, juice, coke etc?

wrong

By the way, has any one worked out a way of working out, which particular pint of orange juice is theirs :confused:

DavidY
11th-November-2004, 02:46 PM
wrong

By the way, has any one worked out a way of working out, which particular pint of orange juice is theirs :confused:Yes - but it might not work any more if I tell everyone else and they all adopt the same system... :D

MartinHarper
11th-November-2004, 03:19 PM
some disgusting sweaty smelly man [...] God only knows what sort of germs I might have got from drinking from the same bottle as him, he really did stink.

Someone sweating heavily at a dance? Well, I suppose that might be because he has some horrible contagious disease, but I think it's more likely that they've been possessed by a demon from the fifth circle of hell. A narrow escape: one sip from that corrupted well, and Water Woman would surely have lost her soul.

Personally, I recommend tap water.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-November-2004, 04:46 PM
Best to have 2 bottles of water - one you always put back in your bag under a chair the other you leave out laced with laxatives.

s0rted.

bigdjiver
11th-November-2004, 05:59 PM
... By the way, has any one worked out a way of working out, which particular pint of orange juice is theirs :confused: :devil: The one with most in it? :devil:

Actually, I drink water now. I put the glass away from civilization, and, since I started putting my towel touching the glass, have not lost one.

drathzel
11th-November-2004, 07:16 PM
i think that its really good to be on the forum and pushing it is really good however!!!! Have you seen how many people have joined and not posted. IMHO thats a waste! Join and join in or dont join! Sorry but i feel if you want to find out something well then post. Imagine if ever one was just here to read the advice and no one gave it, well there would be very little advice and it would be a wick forum!!!!

:hug:

CJ
11th-November-2004, 07:31 PM
D,

Some people at Ceroc are just takers... not a giver like yourself :wink:

Lindsay
11th-November-2004, 08:04 PM
Keep your bottle of water in your bag?

Bring one of those plastic sports bottle things??

Down it all at once???

philsmove
11th-November-2004, 09:00 PM
I don’t think it is possible to put a poll in the middle of a thread

But is this thread about

1 Water
2 People who know about this forum but don’t want to join
3 CeRoc central
4 Event organisers
5 People who don’t like rise an issue at a venue
6 Beer and orange juice
7 Stewart38’s infatuation with a women who will not post
8 non of the above, Phil has had too many sherbets

stewart38
12th-November-2004, 02:27 AM
I don’t think it is possible to put a poll in the middle of a thread

But is this thread about

1 Water
2 People who know about this forum but don’t want to join
3 CeRoc central
4 Event organisers
5 People who don’t like rise an issue at a venue
6 Beer and orange juice
7 Stewart38’s infatuation with a women who will not post
8 non of the above, Phil has had too many sherbets

re 7 just put infatuation with women

Still hasnt asked the basic theme of the thread ie what should you do if a bear comes towards you and wants your water? :sad:

Dance Demon
12th-November-2004, 06:50 AM
Still hasnt asked the basic theme of the thread ie what should you do if a bear comes towards you and wants your water? :sad:

Ask the DJ to play " Call On Me" by Eric Prydz.....that should sort it out.....bears hate Eric Prydz:D

philsmove
12th-November-2004, 08:45 AM

Sounds like that old question
Q What do call 10 foot, Gorilla armed with a machine gun?
A Sir :whistle:

Daisy
12th-November-2004, 07:09 PM
wrong

By the way, has any one worked out a way of working out, which particular pint of orange juice is theirs :confused:

You can take something that floats and drop it in your drink as a marker.

If you got something plastic and disgusting looking from the joke shop it would deter anyone from pinching your drink. :whistle:

I have to say that if I found ANYONE taking MY drink I would definately give them a Bo!!ocking.......Bl**dy cheek! :sick:

DavidB
12th-November-2004, 07:47 PM
You can take something that floats and drop it in your drink as a marker.That would work. If I saw a floater in a bottle of water I wouldn't go near it.

Yliander
13th-November-2004, 11:24 AM
You can take something that floats and drop it in your drink as a marker. very nifty idea!!

If you got something plastic and disgusting looking from the joke shop it would deter anyone from pinching your drink. :whistle:

I have to say that if I found ANYONE taking MY drink I would definately give them a Bo!!ocking.......Bl**dy cheek! :sick: :yeah:

bigdjiver
13th-November-2004, 11:49 AM
Last night water was free and easily accessible. I still lost two glasses in the first hour, before moving it out of the "civilised" zone, and putting it on the floor in a corner. :confused: :sad:

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2004, 02:05 PM
One of my sailing friends regards the taking of other people's drinks as a sport. She, among many others, calls it 'minesweeping'. At some parties after busy regattas she has been known to get in a round of drinks for the whole crew by minesweeping - and she usually gets people's first choice of drinks. And I've never even heard about anybody minding. Of course, yacht clubs usually have tables covered with drinks at end of regatta parties - most of them belonging to crew members who have gone back to their digs; pulled; passed out; etc. I think people take the view that if you haven't drunk you drink quickly your weren't really thirsty and should donate it to someone who is.

So, I think the answer is to drink your whole drink and throw away the empty. If you have a problem with that, buy smaller bottles and bring them out one at a time, drink the whole contents, etc. You could always re-use the smaller bottles.

Andy McGregor
13th-November-2004, 02:07 PM
People not wanting to sign up for the forum?

Maybe they've heard that Martin Harper will persistently give them negative rep for going off-topic :whistle:

Gojive
13th-November-2004, 04:22 PM

Fantastic idea!! - I tried it last night. I must admit, it was a struggle getting it in the neck of the bottle, and buoy :wink: did it cause a few problems down at the yacht club (something about missing markers I believe), but it certainly did the trick!. No one drank my water! - mind you I did have a little difficulty drinking it myself :na:

On topic :blush: ....I have been spreading the word about this forum when I can, and I know a few friends have registered, with a couple having posted too :cheers: .

This forum provides {IMHO} the best online arena (in the present climate), for us all to help take the MJ world forward a few paces, and address issues such as Stewart's friend's drinks theft.

Lynn
13th-November-2004, 06:38 PM
This forum provides {IMHO} the best online arena (in the present climate), for us all to help take the MJ world forward a few paces, and address issues such as Stewart's friend's drinks theft. :yeah: And its great for those on the edges of the MJ world (geographically) - I feel part of the wider MJ community even though I don't get to actually dance very often. :hug:

Lynn
13th-November-2004, 06:47 PM

If you got something plastic and disgusting looking from the joke shop it would deter anyone from pinching your drink. :whistle: Unless they don't see it in the dark, drink it anyway, choke on the floating plastic thing... :sick:

I keep my water bottle in my dance bag usually, rather than on the table and that solves the problem.

bigdjiver
13th-November-2004, 06:57 PM
If you got something plastic and disgusting looking from the joke shop it would deter anyone from pinching your drink. :whistle: That would solve the problem. After the word got around what you drink, no-one will ask you to dance, and you can stand there and guard it. :D

Piglet
13th-November-2004, 08:50 PM
I've had someone try to down my gin and bitter-lemon in the pretext that they thought it was their water!!!!!! Boy, did I tell him or did I tell him.

How could greeny/yellowy liquid be confused for cool clear water!

I usually buy one alcoholic drink and one pint of water and put them next to each other and touching each other - that seems to work!

Mind you saying that - Jumpin' Jaks in Aberdeen have just started to refuse giving us pints of water because they say that their sink water is "strictly for hand-washing" (ha ha ha - why did we get to drink it before then?????) - we've now been told that we can be given a pint with ice in it and we have to go and fill it ourselves using the sinks in the toilets! Mmmmmm - very hygienic. I have a feeling that what they're doing is illegal, but since I'm happy to buy bottled water anyway... I'm not gonna be the one making the waves!

CJ
14th-November-2004, 03:18 AM
I've found that pishing in it works :eek: ... they only take it the once!! :wink:

Sheepman
17th-November-2004, 01:08 PM
I've found that pishing in it works :eek: ... they only take it the once!! :wink: Slightly less extreme is something a friend has to do for medical reasons, putting lots of salt in it. If every table had a decoy salty bottle, I'm sure people would take more care to drink their own.

Why is it that I'm thinking the ideas of the laxatives and the floaters go hand in hand? :confused: :devil:

Greg

Graham
17th-November-2004, 01:23 PM
Why is it that I'm thinking the ideas of the laxatives and the floaters go hand in hand? :confused: :devil:
Because you have a mind like a sewer? :wink:

stewart38
17th-November-2004, 03:14 PM
Slightly less extreme is something a friend has to do for medical reasons, putting lots of salt in it. If every table had a decoy salty bottle, I'm sure people would take more care to drink their own.

Greg

That actually sounds like a good idea ! Put one bottle on a crowded table so full of salt that it makes people think twice ! :grin:

Lory
17th-November-2004, 03:52 PM
How about a nice piece of chewed chewing gum stuck to the edge of the glass, or the lid of the bottle? Bet they wouldn't touch it then! :wink:

Or, anyone remember the Ben Elton Sketch, about getting a double seat on a train? Something about whipping out a plasic doggy doo! :D One of those in a glass should do the trick! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ChrisA
17th-November-2004, 05:05 PM
How about a nice piece of chewed chewing gum stuck to the edge of the glass, or the lid of the bottle? Bet they wouldn't touch it then! :wink:

Reminds me of the man in the pub (can't remember what part of the country he was from :innocent: )... he's half way through his beer but needs the loo.

So to make sure no one nicks his pint he leaves a note by it that says

"I've spat in this beer".

When he comes back someone's added the line...

"So have I". :what:

stewart38
17th-November-2004, 05:11 PM

Or, anyone remember the Ben Elton Sketch, about getting a double seat on a train? Something about whipping out a plasic doggy doo! :D One of those in a glass should do the trick! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is this your own bottle or the spare bottle ? How about a razor blade attached to said chewing gum ? Thats going too far me thinks as cost mount buying chewing gum and razor blade.

You could get something else out according to that sketch to put people off but not sure how you would dance as well ? :blush:

bigdjiver
17th-November-2004, 06:11 PM
Reminds me of the man in the pub (can't remember what part of the country he was from :innocent: )... he's half way through his beer but needs the loo.

So to make sure no one nicks his pint he leaves a note by it that says

"I've spat in this beer".

When he comes back someone's added the line...

"So have I". :what:Another urban myth is about the guy with a glass eye that goes around "accidently" dropping it in peoples drinks ... "Well, if you don't want it ..."

MhairiV
18th-January-2007, 11:33 PM
wrong

Well how about bringing an elastic band (any colour you wish) and wrap it around the bottom of your glass.

If that fails, you could ask big Arnie if he could protect it for you lol. I'm sure no one with touch it then.:rofl:

SteveK
19th-January-2007, 05:14 AM
Well how about bringing an elastic band (any colour you wish) and wrap it around the bottom of your glass.

If that fails, you could ask big Arnie if he could protect it for you lol. I'm sure no one with touch it then.:rofl:

Welcome to the forum Mhairi!!!!:nice:

Gav
19th-January-2007, 09:29 AM
One of my sailing friends regards the taking of other people's drinks as a sport. She, among many others, calls it 'minesweeping'. At some parties after busy regattas she has been known to get in a round of drinks for the whole crew by minesweeping - and she usually gets people's first choice of drinks. And I've never even heard about anybody minding.

That's also usual behaviour for squaddies in any pub or club where they happen to be. The big difference being that the "general public" do mind their drinks being swiped, so the art is to either not get caught or to make sure that you have lots of big squaddie pals with you.

Errrr, apparently, this bloke told me, not that I've ever done such a thing of course. :blush:

Lory
19th-January-2007, 09:48 AM
So, I think the answer is to drink your whole drink and throw away the empty.

That's the advice given out to all young people at clubs nowadays, especially the girls. Not because they might have their drinks 'swiped' but sadly, something much more sinister, 'spiked' :sick:

Andy McGregor
19th-January-2007, 10:17 AM
That's the advice given out to all young people at clubs nowadays, especially the girls. Not because they might have their drinks 'swiped' but sadly, something much more sinister, 'spiked' :sick:I have a teenage daughter who drinks her drinks down in one - she just need to start making them small drinks...

stewart38
19th-January-2007, 10:22 AM
That's the advice given out to all young people at clubs nowadays, especially the girls. Not because they might have their drinks 'swiped' but sadly, something much more sinister, 'spiked' :sick:

The incident of spiking is about 1000 times less then the public preception. Im afraid 99.999999% its due to the drink

Double Trouble
19th-January-2007, 12:52 PM
When I dance, I drink alternate glasses of water, then a glass of wine.

I've lost count of the times my drinks have beens swiped at ceroc venues, in fact, I think it has happened at every venue....especially the wine.

I can only put it down to the fact that some/most dancers are so tight that they would prefer to just help themselves to others drinks than get one for themselves, or cant be bothered to wait at the over busy/understaffed bar.

Its easy to nick a drink at dancing.....as you are on the floor more than at the table. I've never actually caught anyone taking one of my drinks.....luckily for them.:mad:

andystyle
19th-January-2007, 12:53 PM
Mind you saying that - Jumpin' Jaks in Aberdeen have just started to refuse giving us pints of water because they say that their sink water is "strictly for hand-washing" (ha ha ha - why did we get to drink it before then?????) - we've now been told that we can be given a pint with ice in it and we have to go and fill it ourselves using the sinks in the toilets! Mmmmmm - very hygienic. I have a feeling that what they're doing is illegal, but since I'm happy to buy bottled water anyway... I'm not gonna be the one making the waves!

I have a feeling it is - at least in Scotland anyway. It's not legal to refuse someone tap water if they ask - so if you're in a pub or a restaurant and don't want to fork out £1.50 for half a litre of water, get half a pint of it for free. If you add ice, you can scarcely tell the difference.

I did that once at the cinema. It had been a hot day, but I didn't see the point in forking out an excess amount of cash for a bottle and just got tap water. My friends were not amused. :rolleyes:

stewart38
19th-January-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a feeling it is - at least in Scotland anyway. It's not legal to refuse someone tap water if they ask - so if you're in a pub or a restaurant and don't want to fork out £1.50 for half a litre of water, get half a pint of it for free. If you add ice, you can scarcely tell the difference.

see other threads but they can charge for the glass getting you the water etc

big debate over Ashtons when they started charging 2 and six back in cira 1967 ?

Gav
19th-January-2007, 01:05 PM
I've lost count of the times my drinks have beens swiped at ceroc venues, in fact, I think it has happened at every venue....especially the wine.

I can only put it down to the fact that some/most dancers are so tight that they would prefer to just help themselves to others drinks than get one for themselves, or cant be bothered to wait at the over busy/understaffed bar.

Its easy to nick a drink at dancing.....as you are on the floor more than at the table. I've never actually caught anyone taking one of my drinks.....luckily for them.:mad:

Yeah, would you mind getting dry wine in future, I don't like the sweet stuff you usually have. :na: :D

LMC
19th-January-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm waiting for DJ to come and split this thread :whistle: :devil:

The worst place I've experienced for water nicking is Twyford. Lovely venue in all other ways, but I've lost so damn many bottles of water there :mad:

I just keep the bottles in my bag now [shrug]

Paulthetrainer
19th-January-2007, 07:28 PM
Lucky I read this thread.

I was wondering why I've been able to drink so many beers at dancing, never get drunk and yet (arguably) still dance.

Saves me from checking into AA.

ducasi
19th-January-2007, 08:48 PM
see other threads but they can charge for the glass getting you the water etc Not in Scotland (as andystyle said)...

Since 2005 in Scotland (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2005/50016--m.htm), in licensed premises "tap water fit for drinking must be provided free of charge on request."

Spin dryer
20th-January-2007, 12:49 PM
Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water? Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit. If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means.

Gav
20th-January-2007, 01:11 PM
Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water? Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit. If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means.

I doubt anyone is so skint that they can't afford to pay for water whilst dancing, and if they were, they're hardly likely to be shouting about it.

I don't think I do object to paying for it, as such. It can be a little annoying though, when you go from one venue where the staff are happy to freely give you a jug of ice water, a glass and even put a slice of lemon in, to a venue where jugs and glasses are dotted around the bar, then to a venue where you have to pay for it.

Lynn
20th-January-2007, 01:16 PM
Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water? They aren't. They are adverse to paying over the odds for tap water. (I don't think people mind a small charge to cover serving, glass washing etc.) And not being allowed to bring water/tap water into a venue with them. I take a bottle of water everywhere I go - if the one place I wasn't allowed to take it was somewhere I was especially likely to need it, I'd be rather annoyed.

If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means. Drinking out of hands is just silly and brings up hygiene issues. I would guess that if not allowed to bring a bottle of tap water into a venue, you would also not be allowed to bring an empty bottle and fill it at a tap.

ducasi
20th-January-2007, 03:37 PM
Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit.
Hoping to turn a profit on the sale of tap water doesn't sound like a good business plan.

Didn't work for Coca-Cola, at any rate... ;)

David Bailey
20th-January-2007, 08:50 PM
Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water?
Does it matter?

Clearly, some dancers have an issue in this area. So from a point of view of customer satisfaction, if nothing else, it's pointless to say "You're wrong, so stop being worked up about it" - the best response is to do something about it, surely?

As a lot of weekenders are now doing, for example, by providing free water.